Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2023, 10:27   #211
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view

Hello Samba and DogNDamsel12,

The 5 year system for Road Tax in WB, seems attractive initially but does make you think hard when renewal comes around. Happy to know you are retaining the Duster.

Our AWD is in its 8th year of ownership and has recently crossed 1,60,000 km. It remains the car to pick when driving long distances. We invested around 70K in suspension and tires on top of routine maintenance. These amounts look high but every car on the market has similar running costs now. We never get to discuss them as these new kids on the block have not run that much. In fact when we sold the 2WD last year, the amount received was supposed to keep this one running for the next 3/4 years.

Every 5-7 year old hatchback/sedan/crossover owner who now upgrades to the 20L segment to own a decent car is going to be surprised 4 years into the ownership. When those 17/18" tires need a replacement and cost over ~12K a piece, the DPF systems trouble them from time to time, having a lower margin to save when the Urea refills go along with diesel bills, the odd LED lamp unit requires an expensive replacement, and the connected car features cost more than a mechanical service to keep active. At the end of the day it's just going to be another car after the craze dies down.

I believe that well kept pre BS6 Diesel cars are going to retain their value a bit better now. So Just think of it this way, whatever amount you would be happy parting ways with your Duster now, is going to remain the same even if you add another 50k on the odo and maintain it in top shape, like you do.

Cheers!
Tgo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 12:57   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Hello Samba and DogNDamsel12,

I believe that well kept pre BS6 Diesel cars are going to retain their value a bit better now. So Just think of it this way, whatever amount you would be happy parting ways with your Duster now, is going to remain the same even if you add another 50k on the odo and maintain it in top shape, like you do.

Cheers!
Fully agree. I am keeping my 2015 model BS4 AWD at 2.15 L Km for at least a few more years. Looked around but could not find a suitable replacement which makes sense from the usability and financial perspective. Alternatives are either expensive or a downgrade.
adnaps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 15:37   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Got the 70,000 km (8th) service done with a current odo reading of 69,150 km

7th Service 60,000 km)- Rs 21,327
8th Service (70,000 km) - Rs 10,668
Did you carry out replacement of Timing and Accessory belt along with the belt tensioner as a part of 60k service?
kaushik.genius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 21:53   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik.genius View Post
Did you carry out replacement of Timing and Accessory belt along with the belt tensioner as a part of 60k service?
Yes, both the timing & accessory belts were replaced, but the belt tensioner was not. If the service center guys find the tensioner to be faulty, only then they replace it. I replaced both the belts, as it was mentioned under the 60,000 km scheduled service, else both the belts were absolutely fine with no unusual wear and tear.

Here is the link for the 60,000 km service-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5457219 (Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view)

Last edited by Samba : 8th September 2023 at 22:13.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 07:07   #215
BHPian

I decided to keep my 2018 Duster AWD (78000km till date) because frankly there is nothing comparable in its category or adjusted price range. You either have behemoths like the Scorpio N and XUV 700 that cost a bomb if you want everything, or you have underpowered Maruti/Toyota rebadges that don't even have enough space.

I don't need a seven-seater, but I do need more boot space and rear seat comfort, and I want a bit more power for the highway. I would love to have a more comfortable car, and one with better quality too, but I can't pay Rs. 30-40 lakh for it.

So the Duster stays till the perfect replacement emerges.
davelok is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 02:11   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Odo reads 72,000 km & our Duster is back from yet another 1700+ km road trip from North-Bengal.

Observations from the trip-

Pros-
This car is meant for off-roads and hill drives!
Highway drive is fun as-usual.
Extremely comfortable.

Cons-
This time I got a mileage of just 13.6 km/L. Thanks to a lot of off-road drives in 1st gear & some spirited highway driving. But still I expected around 14.5 km/L.

Few pics from the trip-

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8001.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8059.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8061.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8065.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8069.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8079.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8139.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8142.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8162.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 14th November 2023 at 02:14.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 21:15   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

72,242 km and the Duster is sold.

From the last one year, I was looking for a replacement, and there were no cars which actually appealed to me. So I decided to pay the road tax and retain the Duster in August.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5615811 (Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view)

I liked the Jimny, specially for it's boxy design, and the old school mechanicals, but the car was overpriced. Plus I knew it will be a downgrade from the Duster, but these are heart over mind decisions. We should not compare both these vehicle. They are different.

This December, after all the discounts the pricing of the Jimny looked good, and I casually gave few ads of my Duster. Luckily I got a good deal, and we let the car go. Hope it finds a caring home.

It was tough letting the car go. When the person drove it away, all the good memories were flashing in front of me, and I was having a tough time to hold my composure!

The final odo reading-

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8468.jpg

The parting shots.

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8494.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-img_8496.jpg

During these 5 years of ownership of the Duster, we did 36 road trips & covered 14 states. Quite a lot of memories, and am sure these memories will be etched forever.

Last edited by Samba : 14th December 2023 at 21:29.
Samba is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 21:33   #218
BHPian

Quote:

Sad to hear, you had to let go of your beloved Duster. I had gone through a couple of your previous posts and enjoyed reading every bit of it. Was the promising deal for Jimmny the only reason of you letting go of the Duster?

Regardless whether you answer the above question or not. Its an undisputable fact that you took good care of the Duster, and with the kind of knowledge you have regarding this vehicle, in terms of its maintenance, the usual sore points (if any)..etc. That immense knowledge is worth more than anything compared to it. Yes, the vehicle has been sold , the knowledge remains, and I hope those who still own this vehicle can count on your advice ;to pitch in once they forward thier queries via this forum thread, not that the information already on this thread is anyway less sufficient! Yet, something comes out of the blue.
ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 21:48   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Was the promising deal for Jimmny the only reason of you letting go of the Duster?
Thanks.

There are few more reasons other than this.

This November we had some work in NCR, but at that time there was a ban on BS4 diesel vehicles. So had to skip taking the Duster.

After the launch of the Jimny, the resale value of the Duster was going down in the states where this car had high demand. In states like Kerala, Meghalaya, Himachal, Arunachal people had a good demand for the Duster AWD.

The 3rd reason was, if a part fails, then the service centers were taking few days to arrange that spare. This lead me to think, if any part fails during a road trip, there will be chances I get stuck till the spare arrives. Earlier the spares were available off the shelve, but later it was not the same.

Still am thankful to Renault Budgebudge in Kolkata. They gave me an extraordinary service during these 5 years. Several times they have gone out of their way to help me when I needed.

Last edited by Samba : 14th December 2023 at 21:51.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 10:21   #220
BHPian

Quote:

It was tough letting the car go. When the person drove it away, all the good memories were flashing in front of me, and I was having a tough time to hold my composure!
I can understand very well that feeling, as my beloved Dusty was sold 2 weeks back, exactly at 72k kms. Didn't want to sell it, but Bangalore traffic was taking a toll on my left leg, so had to take the call. The parting day was really painful, despite me trying my best, I finally cried

Wife and daughter were like

Last edited by Repsol : 15th December 2023 at 10:24.
Repsol is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 20:52   #221
BHPian

Quote:
During these 5 years of ownership of the Duster, we did 36 road trips & covered 14 states. Quite a lot of memories, and am sure these memories will be etched forever.
All good things come to an end. I can relate with your post a bit as even my car(Innova) was unfortunately totalled this year. Although it is not similar but it was special as I learnt driving in it. What makes it worse was it never failed us during all the 2,60,XXX km and it was a very sad ending.

Looking forward to your new car and an ownership thread.

Also, incidentally this was the same day last year that you gave an update on the car.
Quote:
Got the 60,000 km service done at 59,000 km mark. Just before the service the Duster was taken for another 1200 km road trip to Odisha.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 23:15   #222
BHPian

End Of An Era !

The Car - The Driver

People will always remember Samba & The Duster AWD for the amazing content both of them produced and inspired so many travelers & car owners

Renault's Loss is Suzuki's Gain
Samfromindia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 23:17   #223

End of one of the best ownership threads on this forum. Hopefully there will be a jimny ownership thread as well. Here's to all your memories and journeys is the duster.
dj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 18:58   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
End Of An Era !

The Car - The Driver

People will always remember Samba & The Duster AWD for the amazing content both of them produced and inspired so many travelers & car owners

Renault's Loss is Suzuki's Gain
Samba & The Duster AWD and The Etios - both of these Samba vehicles are pretty famous on this forum. His Etios too has covered many a states, Have been among the lucky ones to see both of them (at different times though).
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 19:47   #225
BHPian

Ohhh my God! This is sad news. That was one Duster that's gone places! I've followed most of your journeys and some of them have been mind boggling. The U turn in Kalpa on a road with black ice is one of the scariest. Must say you've used your car to the fullest of its abilities.

The Jimny has big shoes to fill. Looking forward to your adventures with the new partner!
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks