Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 12:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view

Dude what a super review! Photos are splendid as well!
Good thing you kept the etios and got rid of Figo, the k9k engine is also equally reliable and can keep you happy for atleast 2 lakh kms!
I too own the Duster (2WD RXZ tho) and most of your observations are spot on! Although newer models are void of dreaded injector issues, I will say please stick to known or coco pumps! The car is really sensitive about the fuel you feed!

Given its an age old model, there are many small DIYs to do and they help you out to keep the interest going in the car!

Congratulations again and drive safe!
Cheers,
Swapnil
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 14:00   #17
BHPian

Congratulations!
Nice Car, Good write-up, good photographs and very good photo editing skills!

IF there was no brand backing to Creta, Duster would have been the king of the segment. For me, any day Duster is a better product as compared to Creta, my two cents.
Alfa_Romeo1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 14:34   #18
BHPian

As a current Terrano owner,
I have no complaints whatsoever from her,
apart from a little bland interior looks,

I spiced up things a little by using mood/music controlled ambient lights

Edit: Forgot to congratulate you on the best ride quality below 30L. Enjoy her
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-whatsapp-image-20181015-9.36.15-am.jpeg  

Last edited by Nitish.arnold : 15th October 2018 at 14:36.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 15:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samba, a hot looking crossover. So I guess we are going to see some more mountains that too in the winters?
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 17:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Superbly written review! Thanks for sharing!

Is it recommended to keep the drive selector know in 2D when on highways? Or do you always leave it on Auto mode?

Is the Auto mode to do with AWD applications as an Automatic terrain selector?

Drive safe!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 17:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Pros & cons

Pros -

Jotted down this review after driving this car for around 2,500 km in 1.5 months.

Thanks for reading

Regards
Samba.
Congratulations! Great Images and detailed review as well. Perfect for anyone in the market now to have a quick glance.

It would have been great catching you in the last tbhp Kolkata meet and get the stablemates meet after my solo drive to kolkata (Again ); but i guess we will have a better time for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view-kol_blr.jpeg  

soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 21:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
However, in your evaluation of Duster vs Captur, could you highlight the points which shifted the choice towards Duster, as the Captur is a newer (and supposedly) better Duster?
Thanks.

Actually Captur do not come with an AWD plus Duster is more common on Indian roads. When we increased our budget till the Captur/Creta, i thought of increasing it a bit more and go for a 4wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Congratulations Dada on your new ride. Hope this will serve you as well as your previous rides did.
Thanks Subhra. Waiting to have a ride in your restored M800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Considering the terrain(s) you have conquered with your 2WD sedan, my imagination fails me to come up with the possibilities of what next you are going to conquer with this 4WD high GC machine at your disposal !
Wish you thousands of happy miles ahead.
Thanks a ton. Hope Duster and Jazz meet soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post

The gear ratios caught my attention though, are they this short to mask the turbo lag? 2500 rpm @ 100 km/h is too high in 6th gear, i thought Creta's 6th gear was short (which it is, it does the same speed at 2000 rpm), our Cruze did it at around 1600-1700 rpm, secondly the owner's manual suggests to start from 2nd gear? Is this just for the AWD version, i wasn't aware about this at all.
Thanks.

Its specific to the AWD. The gear ratio on the 110ps, 2wd Duster is different. In the AWD the gear ratio's are short and the 1st gear is very short. Its meant for crawling in off-road situations. In the AWD the peak torque comes at 1750 Rpm whereas in the 110ps, 2wd it comes at 2250 Rpm.

The 2nd gear starting is only for the AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Although newer models are void of dreaded injector issues, I will say please stick to known or coco pumps! The car is really sensitive about the fuel you feed!
Thanks.

Yes, i was warned about the very same during the first service too. So i always fill from company operated pumps.

Another niggle is, we need to take the key off while refuelling, else the fuel gauge may get stuck! I was warned about these two things regarding refuelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Romeo1 View Post
Congratulations!
Nice Car, Good write-up, good photographs and very good photo editing skills!

IF there was no brand backing to Creta, Duster would have been the king of the segment. For me, any day Duster is a better product as compared to Creta, my two cents.
Thanks.

The Creta is more contemporary and comes with all the bells and whistles. Plus the Creta has less niggles than the Duster with better after sales service and resale value.

But at the end i am with you! That's why i chose the Duster over the Creta! The 4wd offering was one deciding factor which went in favour of the Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post

I spiced up things a little by using mood/music controlled ambient lights

Edit: Forgot to congratulate you on the best ride quality below 30L. Enjoy her
Thanks.

The lights look great.

Agreed, i just love the ride quality. It dismisses the bad patches like a cake walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats Samba, a hot looking crossover. So I guess we are going to see some more mountains that too in the winters?
Thanks a ton.

Yes mountains in the winter is in my bucket list for a long time. But the problem is managing free time during that time of the year becomes a challenge for both, me and my wife. Lets see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Is it recommended to keep the drive selector know in 2D when on highways? Or do you always leave it on Auto mode?

Is the Auto mode to do with AWD applications as an Automatic terrain selector?

Drive safe!
Thanks.

Manual suggests to keep it in Auto mode.

When the front wheel loose traction, the power is automatically transmitted to the rear wheel in auto mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
It would have been great catching you in the last tbhp Kolkata meet and get the stablemates meet after my solo drive to kolkata (Again ); but i guess we will have a better time for that.
Thanks lot.

Really sad, i missed meeting you on the last Team Bhp meet. I was pretty sure that i will attend the meet but last night due to some unavoidable circumstances, i had to give the meet a miss.

Between yesterday, my Duster met the Bong Duster which belongs to Bhpian Aray.

Last edited by Samba : 15th October 2018 at 21:57.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 08:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

It is as if the right tool has reached the explorer. Congrats on the new car, she looks stunning in red.
Wish you thousands of happy kilometers.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 08:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Duster 4X4 is actually the pick of the segment for me and that includes the Creta. Its so much more capable and therefore so much more usable and wears its simplicity with pride. Congrats on your car.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 12:37   #25
BHPian

Beautiful write-up and excellent pictures to match. In fact this is one of the most detailed review of a Duster I've seen till date. I didn't knew the Duster comes with the hydraulic steering setup. Thanks for that.
Congratulations and drive safe.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 13:05   #26

Congratulation Samba on acquiring great, simple and functional crossover. Adding to the feelings expressed by Motomaverick we will be seeing many new frontiers still remaining to be conquered by you in your new steed.

May I request (albeit with a selfish motive) that please get a dash cam installed so that apart from other advantages as already expressed by the esteemed TBHPians we also get to see the roads less travelled like we are also present with you in your journey to wilderness .
onecar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 15:00   #27
BHPian

Congratulations Samba and welcome to the club. Your observations are spot on. Our AWD is touching 50k in 3 years and niggle free so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Another niggle is, we need to take the key off while refuelling, else the fuel gauge may get stuck! I was warned about these two things regarding refuelling.
Make sure you fill the fuel till auto cutoff. Never top up and fill to the brim.

Few observations/pointers from my experience:

- I drive in Auto mode by default with ESP on. Let the car decide power distribution.
- Use the 2nd gear to start from flat surface
- I find the gear shift indicator very useful. Try to shift based on the indicator
- Started using Liqui Moly super diesel additive post 40k service. The engine feels relaxed and responsive. If you have a Shell outlet nearby, try Shell Super Diesel.
- Tried synthetic oil without any noticeable difference. Shifted to recommended mineral oil
- Cruise control is very useful on long drives. Loved it during my BLR to Pune drives
- Not many modifications and accessories so far. I did the 3M underbody coating which helped to control NVH.
- AC and headlights are real downer. Haven't change the OEM bulbs yet. Not much of night driving so its manageable.
C300 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 15:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Excellent initial ownership report with some stunning pics. Rated 5 stars. I have always been a fan of the Duster AWD but got a bit skeptical when several issues were reported specially regarding the injector failures. Hopefully that has been sorted. Wishing you many miles of happiness. Finally you have got a car that can explore a lot more. Only one negative about this report, if one may say so - I had hoped that you would take it to the Himalayas first before writing the ownership report. We would have got to see a stunning opening pic with a white peak at the background
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 19:45   #29
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride! Excellent report & stunning pics! Rated 5 stars
Must say that, you have been very open and honest with the pros and cons.
I own a 2016 Duster & I agree with you on most of your observations.
Duster AWD is the segment best & I hope you enjoy it's capabilities to the fullest. Have fun and drive safe
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 22:17   #30
BHPian

Pocket Rocket : Check
Fun to drive Hatch: Check
Fast & Economical 4M+ Sedan: Check
SUV / Crossover + Car like dynamics : Double Check

One can easily understand how the Duster AWD made it's way to your home. Two things common with all your car purchases are that all of them are practical & VFM options and fun to drive at the same time ! Duster is perhaps the most FTD car which has 4WD in this side of budget. The car industry is witnessing a huge shift from sedans to crossovers /suv & there is no better time to jump into the bandwagon. Given how popular the car is in the Kolkata family, owning one will be breeze with so many experts around.

Congratulations once again on your new ride. I can only imagine how the next set of travelogues will scream Fiery Red. The car couldn't have got a better owner ! Amazing pics & narration like always. Rated *****
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks