Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2022, 10:26   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Your red car, the Bandra pictures, the teen-patti stories, and your way with words all remind me of a certain Bandra boy, who scaled new heights of hilarity on this forum with his YetiBlogs.
You flatter me massively, kind sir. I honestly do not believe I occupy that same bit of exalted stratosphere as The Man, but that you place me in the same train of thought is humbling and heartening.

Perhaps it's something in the Bandra water, having been a Bandra buoy for the best part of my life. You can take the buoy out of Bandra, but you really can't take the Bandra-ness out of him.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 29th November 2022 at 10:28. Reason: I really must proofread before I post...
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 19:53   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When it rains, it pours

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Ever played a game of Whack-A-Mole?
I missed your update as I was away from car-things for sometime. For a happy reason, I promise. Glad to see another fellow Whack-a-mole warrior in the trenches and ready to level up
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 12:31   #303
Senior - BHPian

Re: When it rains, it pours

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I missed your update as I was away from car-things for some time. For a happy reason, I promise.
But of course. Sometimes, life happens. Good to see you back on here, and keeping on keeping on with the S and 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Glad to see another fellow Whack-a-mole warrior in the trenches and ready to level up
I would argue we are all whack-a-mole warriors, whether we know it or not, with invisible hammers raining down on us. But to continue the whole game metaphor, yes, I am a hungry hungry hippo at this point, eager for more
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 21:57   #304

Hello iliketurtles, really love your thread on 328i. What are your reviews on BM3 tune? I plan to get a downpipe and conservative stage 1+ tune on my 328i. Car has 25k on odo as on date along with Miltek sports exhaust (resonated) with B6 shocks.
Old 27th November 2023, 10:47   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Hello iliketurtles, really love your thread on 328i. What are your reviews on BM3 tune? I plan to get a downpipe and conservative stage 1+ tune on my 328i. Car has 25k on odo as on date along with Miltek sports exhaust (resonated) with B6 shocks.
Damn. I'm so sorry I missed answering this somehow!

BM3 is a wonderful thing to have. It gives you a lot of flexibility in tuning the car yourself (especially if you purchase all the off the shelf tunes), and edit burbles to your taste, log stuff, etc. That you can choose to resell it later (particularly so if you bought all the aforementioned tunes) for 70-75% of what you paid is simply the cherry on top.

On the bright side, my hugely delayed response means you can avail Black Friday pricing. So, yay?

I've been running a Stage 2 93 octane tune for about 2 years, with the car on a steady diet of 95 octane. Zero hiccups. Highly recommended. Again, apologies for my lengthy absence. Hope this helps.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 11:02   #306
Senior - BHPian

At one point or another, all of us have had to deal with loss. Without trivialising matters, selling off a car, especially if it’s truly close to your heart, is slightly akin to that.

You seem like a well-read fellow (or lady, I can’t tell from all the way here), and I’m sure you’re familiar with the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

I can’t afford a shrink (car parts don’t come cheap), so I’m lying on my couch at my home and typing out this honest admission to you. Yes, dear reader, I’m selling the 328i, for all good things come to an end.

On the aforementioned scale of grief, I’m somewhere past anger, and halfway to bargaining (but not with stragglers on OLX or dealers in real life). I hope to skip past the depression entirely in due course; being mired in it could be problematic, especially since (as you might have noticed) I don’t have a quality shrink on speed dial.

They say don’t turn a wheel in anger, but no one said anything about writing in a lightly tempestuous rage. And so, from the depths of my not-a-depression and as a near-final form of creative expression on this thread, here are 3 ways to deal with the upcoming loss of the loved one in your garage.

Clean it like you mean it

Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i-one.jpg

From top to bottom, headlight to taillight, clean it like you mean it, preferably yourself. While this can be a therapeutic process, since you get some hands-on action in prepping her for a send-off, it also acts as a form of closure since you’re sterilising her for the next phase of her life (just don’t ask why it needs sterilising).

It can also be quite eye-opening by way of what it reveals, such as those cables you forgot you had stored in the glovebox, or the set of carefully packed mini knives your wife carefully tucked away below the passenger seat. Pointing them at her (non-threateningly) leads to the admission that they were meant to fight off miscreants on road trips, but there was always that 2% chance I could end up on the pointy end of one. Ah, to be young and crazy again.

Don’t follow the next owner on social media

Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i-two.jpg

Remember that guy who chimes in with comments under a photo of a couple with statements like “I remember when she was mine. Good times.” or “Damn, she’s looking as fine as ever ��” or “Glad you’re enjoying her as much as I did”?

No. You don’t. Because it’d be creepy as hell. Don’t be that guy. Once she’s gone, let her go.

Cry

Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i-three.jpg
I’m personally partial to loud wails, but quiet, deep sobbing has a certain appeal to it too, particularly if sound-tracked by Adele or Lana Del Ray

Just as engines tick over, so too does life with slow, steady certainty. Seasons come and go, milestones passing you by as you move down life’s highway.

Cars will come. Cars will go. But this one will remain that bit extra special, for now and forever.

The 328i is now listed in the Classifieds, and available for your viewing pleasure. (https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...3-Series.html/). Yes, I know the pictures aren't recent. Yes, I will update them after a detailing session.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a Lana Del Ray Album to tune in to.

Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i-four.jpg
Goodbye, Red. You were loved and will be missed.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th November 2023 at 14:14. Reason: As requested
iliketurtles is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:21   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Without trivialising matters, selling off a car, especially if it’s truly close to your heart, is slightly akin to that.
Ah well. We all go through this at some point. You need to let go under the hope that the new owner who is buying your car, is buying it cause they see the care that you've put in. Once the keys and the car reach the other side, you need to close your eyes and mind to this. Thats the best way to let go.

On the plus side, hopefully you have something exciting coming along soon to replace your red steed. That generally excites even more.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:31   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Once the keys and the car reach the other side, you need to close your eyes and mind to this. That's the best way to let go.
Of course, bud. It's the only way to go. Truth be told, I wrote this a few weeks ago in anticipation of pulling the trigger, because the mood at the moment was right for capturing this piece of prose. Today, I'm well past depression and well into acceptance. For now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
On the plus side, hopefully you have something exciting coming along soon to replace your red steed. That generally excites even more.
I do, indeed. I have my eyes on the prize, and will move for it in due course. I have my heart and most of my mind set on it, but won't speak until the time is right.

Fear not. Whichever steed I go with next, I will make sure it serves as inspiration for madcap musings.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:51   #309
BHPian

Quote:
At one point or another, all of us have had to deal with loss. Without trivializing matters, selling off a car, especially if it’s truly close to your heart, is slightly akin to that.
Well, cars come and go. What stays is the memories and the love we have for them.

Has Red been sold already? The listing in the classifieds is coming up as "Inactive".

Looking forward to see what car you buy next. I'm guessing something with 6 cylinders and 500 Nm of torque?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 15:04   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Well, cars come and go. What stays is the memories and the love we have for them.
I couldn’t have said it much better myself. This is the simple emotional truth at the core of it all.

Quote:
Has Red been sold already? The listing in the classifieds is coming up as "Inactive".
No bud, not yet. She’ll be available for a little while yet. That listing just got sent for approval, so hopefully it’ll go live today.

Avoiding dealers on OLX, Carwale, et al,as I’d rather sell directly to someone who’ll love her.

I saw a listing of a 328i for 16 in Delhi on here, people are going nuts. I’ll be listing her at 13.5. I think that’s realistic, with some wiggle room for me to shave a bit off the price for the right suitor.

Quote:
Looking forward to see what car you buy next. I'm guessing something with 6 cylinders and 500 Nm of torque?
As am I, man.

I saw the aforementioned car you referenced. Multiple times. But it’s too common now, and the bigger issue is the almost lack of emotive appeal (IMO). The exhaust is now very muted, steering feel is a bit lacking like all modern BMWs, and it doesn’t feel fast, weirdly. It is fast. It just doesn’t give you that “OMG, check yoself before you wreck yoself, fool!”feels.

That’s before I even get to addressing the interior quality and sound system, which I think isn’t up to snuff for an 80 lakh car.

Which is not to say it’s not in the running. How can it not be, when the engine itself is so stunningly great? But I have widened my horizons a bit, to try and find something more emotionally appealing, and not as commonplace. Let’s see what life has in store for me.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 27th November 2023 at 15:13.
iliketurtles is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 15:28   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At one point or another, all of us have had to deal with loss. Without trivialising matters, selling off a car, especially if it’s truly close to your heart, is slightly akin to that.

The 328i is now listed in the Classifieds, and available for your viewing pleasure. (https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...3-Series.html/). Yes, I know the pictures aren't recent. Yes, I will update them after a detailing session.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a Lana Del Ray Album to tune in to.

Attachment 2536372
Goodbye, Red. You were loved and will be missed.

What a thread. Don’t know how I have missed this all these years.

Saw the link to this post on the homepage and dived straight to page 1. Read all about how you have enjoyed the 3 and how you have satiated your appetite by constantly having tasteful upgrades all along.

Must say, you have a way with words and it’s quite enjoyable to read through.

Honestly, I’m tempted but I’m controlling the urge as I had picked up a beautiful pre worshipped Octy 1.8 Tsi in Dec 2021 and currently enjoying it.

Thinking of what you are going to pick up next. Whatever it is, am sure it will be another awesome thread for us to get hooked.

Could you also share the contact for Redline (I too no longer want to be an ASS Man)

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 15:48   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
What a thread. Don’t know how I have missed this all these years.... Must say, you have a way with words, and it’s quite enjoyable to read through.
Thank you Raj, it's the pay-off of getting heartfelt messages like these that makes taking the time to write on here well worth it.

Quote:
Honestly, I’m tempted but I’m controlling the urge as I had picked up a beautiful pre worshipped Octy 1.8 Tsi in Dec 2021 and currently enjoying it.
As you should. That 1.8 TSI is a lovely engine too, and one of the greats on the Indian enthusiast landscape, make no mistake about it.

Quote:
Thinking of what you are going to pick up next. Whatever it is, am sure it will be another awesome thread for us to get hooked.
Pucca. I can't do ho-humvee's. Only funvee's will do in my part of the world.

Quote:
Could you also share the contact for Redline (I too no longer want to be an ASS Man)
You'd be a real tit if you wanted to be an ASS man, despite having some great garages available for a fraction of their price. Get in touch with Redline, they're reachable at 9819917829.
Old 30th November 2023, 07:35   #313
BHPian

What an amazing thread! A sheer joy to read. I totally agree with you on the price point, looking to attract the same number locally. My 328i is bone stock though. Had installed a borla catback but switched back after the droning got too much to bear. It never felt refined with the borla.

Even your observation is on point for the m340i. I believe the xdrive makes it feel less emotive. Interior quality I found alright but the idrive was too annoying with so many sub menus which aren't intuitive. It definitely does not feel 80L premium. But I guess we need to reorient ourselves with fortuners costing more than 50L.

The f30 328i was something special and I'm afraid to pull the trigger on the sale. It was perfect for me as it seems for you. Keen to know what you will replace this with as I'm pretty much set on my ev choice.

Last edited by nmn.070 : 30th November 2023 at 07:36. Reason: Typo
nmn.070 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 10:14   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmn.070 View Post
What an amazing thread! A sheer joy to read.
Thank you, sir! Your kind comments are much appreciated.

Quote:
My 328i is bone stock though. Had installed a borla catback but switched back after the droning got too much to bear. It never felt refined with the borla.
I think it's not so much the Borla, it's just the N20 engine is very coarse and gravelly. I haven't heard a single great exhaust on it, other than the Armytrix. And that is mucho expensive at 3 lakhs or so.

Quote:
Even your observation is on point for the m340i. I believe the xdrive makes it feel less emotive. Interior quality I found alright but the idrive was too annoying with so many sub menus which aren't intuitive.
Going with Xdrive is certainly a factor in it, but I remember the earliest batches of the M340i that came here, with the louder exhaust from the factory. They were genuinely a joy to drive, my face was plastered with a grin a mile wide when hooning about in them. They've slowly diluted that over the years, sadly.

Do agree on iDrive too. They've taken the best infotainment system on the market and killed it. They've dumped everything in menus or in a huge mash of icons. It's very confusing and poorly thought out.

The mappable buttons are a huge miss, almost as big as the deleted climate control buttons.

Quote:
It definitely does not feel 80L premium. But I guess we need to reorient ourselves with fortuners costing more than 50L.
I kind of agree with this, in that the interiors and sound system are not up to snuff for the segment, but there's another perspective to it as well. Think of its competition. The S5 is 1+, and it's a better GT car, but not as good a sporty car as the M340i. The C43 is 1.2, on par with an M2, and arguably a better car than the M340i, but not 30-40 lakhs better. It's just that market is skewed (and screwed), and this will seemingly be the norm now.

Still doesn't justify a Faarchuner at 50-60 lakhs, but hey, people are willing to pay that much for them. Free market economics, baby!

Quote:
The f30 328i was something special and I'm afraid to pull the trigger on the sale. It was perfect for me as it seems for you.
The 328i was indeed the perfect car for me for these last 5 years. Fun, fast, reasonably reliable, compact, great to look at. All things I value greatly in a daily, and lowering it had its trade-offs, but it elevated the dynamics greatly, so it was a fair trade-off in my eyes.

Quote:
Keen to know what you will replace this with as I'm pretty much set on my ev choice.
I had a hot, heavy summer romance with the EV6. I think it's a spectacular car. Really balanced ride and handling that reminded me of the BMW G30 5 series, and a comatose steering that also felt very BMW-esque. But the fact it had such a lovely turn of speed and superb ride quality makes it an alluring proposition. I think it looks great too, and the fact that it seats 5 properly at a stretch makes it a great fun + family car.

But the interior quality and sound system broke the deal for me. It's just not up to the mark for me at 65-67 lakhs. I don't really rate the Volvo electrics frankly (sorry man) since I don't dig their tablet as an infotainment vibe, and find space cramped, besides softer driving dynamics. The i4 is too low and too ugly IMO, so I'll stick with ICE for my next car. Let's see which way I go. I have a few ideas as of now, but nothing too concrete. That move is a few months away at any rate.
Old 30th November 2023, 14:17   #315

This is an epic thread! I was giggling all along at work when most other were grumpy or downright miserable. I didn't want to leave work in the evening, for want of finishing the last 3 pages!

I even thought maybe now is the right time to move back to India, buy your Red monster and settle down in Pune!

Till now I was of the opinion F30 is where BMW ruined it all.After reading your thread, BMW gave a whiteboard to the inner child in us to build BMW the way we want.

Hope the red monster finds a loving and caring home as yours! and looking forward to hear your new buy and all the mods to unravel.
corner_craver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks