Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2021, 10:00   #76

Re: Rear Wiper fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay in publishing the details of rear wiper fitment. This is a pretty straightforward installation if you have all the parts handy and this can be done easily on any variant of any car as far as the respective car's top end model came with a rear wiper because in most cases, you will need the rear glass of the specific model with the hole to fit the wiper motor and the wiper. !
Looks neat and useful
One question. What is the impact of this DIY on warranty? Your car would be under warranty and wouldn't this void it?
shikharmakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 10:55   #77
BHPian

Quote:
This is a pretty straightforward installation if you have all the parts handy and this can be done easily on any variant of any car as far as the respective car's top end model came with a rear wiper because in most cases, you will need the rear glass of the specific model with the hole to fit the wiper motor and the wiper.
Thank you for this post. That looks like a neat installation. Only now I came across your review thread. So many interesting mods. Looks like I am going to be stuck with this thread for some time. DIYs like this boost my confidence. I am also planing to install a rear wiper on my base variant Ignis. Already procured the parts catalogue, and listed out the relevant parts to be changed. In my opinion it's very unethical from an OEM to omit an important feature like a rear wiper so as a few pennies could be saved. A rear wiper is as important as a front one and should be offered from the base variant itself.

Last edited by sole_rider : 17th November 2021 at 10:56. Reason: Properly formatted the quoted content
sole_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 14:24   #78
BHPian

re: Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!

Really pleasing to see this Rear Wiper being added. We have a Grand i10 Sportz Auto and this car too only came with a Rear Defogger on the Automatic top end back then. Our 2009 i10 had a Rear Wiper and it was shockingly absent on our Grand i10 facelift.

A horrible and disturbing omission in my opinion and I have always wondered on how a rear wiper would feature in on a Hyundai. Thanks for paving the way for many Hyundai owners.
fluidicjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 15:12   #79
BHPian

re: Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!

Wow, that is a beautiful add-on to your Venue. I did find the rear wiper missing when I drove my Neighbours Venue which doesnt have a rear wiper.

I had installed rear wiper with washer on my 2006 swift VXI in August earlier this year , I enquired everywhere about the cost of glass change to ZXI and the quotes what I got were about 5k for glass change including labour and sealant.

Lucky for me I found a Whole ZXI door with everything on it intact and I had the international Swift Service manual which has the same wiring harness as our indian variant.

Went to my FNG where I printed the diagrams and explained him what to do and the whole project was done in 2 days.The whole dashboard was taken off the car and its not a pretty sight to see for many people.

That being said it was a tiresome process and definitely not for the faint hearted.

I will soon write an ownership log on my car including all the modifications done to it.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 18:35   #80
BHPian

Incredible Mod mate would love to do it to my base Creta too, I'll PM you for the details on where I can get this done. I think this 16k is money well spent. Thanks for sharing
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 19:21   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikharmakkar View Post
Looks neat and useful
One question. What is the impact of this DIY on warranty? Your car would be under warranty and wouldn't this void it?
Thank you. I am unsure of the warranty as of now. I haven't cut any wire or replaced anything and have used only Hyundai genuine spares. If they cut the wiring warranty too, I am fine with it as this is an important safety feature and I am ready to let go of the warranty for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sole_rider View Post
Thank you for this post. That looks like a neat installation. Only now I came across your review thread. So many interesting mods. Looks like I am going to be stuck with this thread for some time. DIYs like this boost my confidence. I am also planning to install a rear wiper on my base variant Ignis. Already procured the parts catalogue, and listed out the relevant parts to be changed. In my opinion it's very unethical from an OEM to omit an important feature like a rear wiper so as a few pennies could be saved. A rear wiper is as important as a front one and should be offered from the base variant itself.
Thanks a lot bro for the kind words and yeah, I agree with all you points. All vehicles should get a rear wash and wipe standard as they made the 2 airbags standard. What an important safety feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Really pleasing to see this Rear Wiper being added. We have a Grand i10 Sportz Auto and this car too only came with a Rear Defogger on the Automatic top end back then. Our 2009 i10 had a Rear Wiper and it was shockingly absent on our Grand i10 facelift.

A horrible and disturbing omission in my opinion and I have always wondered on how a rear wiper would feature in on a Hyundai. Thanks for paving the way for many Hyundai owners.
Thanks a lot for the kind words. Hyundai's feature distribution is disastrous, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
Wow, that is a beautiful add-on to your Venue. I did find the rear wiper missing when I drove my Neighbours Venue which doesnt have a rear wiper.

I had installed rear wiper with washer on my 2006 swift VXI in August earlier this year , I enquired everywhere about the cost of glass change to ZXI and the quotes what I got were about 5k for glass change including labour and sealant.

Lucky for me I found a Whole ZXI door with everything on it intact and I had the international Swift Service manual which has the same wiring harness as our indian variant.

I will soon write an ownership log on my car including all the modifications done to it.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Oh that's uber cool Ashton to know that you have done something similar on the Swift. On the starting process, I too did try to get the complete rear of another Venue lifted onto mine, but all searches did not yield any promising finds and went with new spares itself as I was just running out of time and energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Incredible Mod mate would love to do it to my base Creta too, I'll PM you for the details on where I can get this done. I think this 16k is money well spent. Thanks for sharing
Thanks a lot for the words. All in all, the cost was around 11k and a bit more for labor expenses for fitting the glass. The rear glass is cheap at 2k, but a few parts are imported and costs a bit more. Other than that, its money well spent. I really hoped Hyundai gave an option to fit the same at least at dealer level, They were least interested to even order me the spares without a VIN.
Just for your info, a video below shows how its done on a Creta. There are many such rear wiper mods happening in the last 4 months and most are updated in youtube. But for sure, I am here to help you with my limited knowledge
Xaos636 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 14:01   #82
BHPian

Quote:

The parts arrived in a weeks time.
Great DIY, I am also interested in adding this much-needed accessory in my car as well (SX+ DCT). Can you please let me know where you acquired all the parts from? Did you get them via Hyundai showroom or any other website?
nisshith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 15:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
Great DIY, I am also interested in adding this much-needed accessory in my car as well (SX+ DCT). Can you please let me know where you acquired all the parts from? Did you get them via Hyundai showroom or any other website?
Hello there, I got all the spares through a local Hyundai dealer itself. First they were reluctant to order me the spares as they told they can order only based on VIN number and my car's VIN wont show rear wiper and hence they cant order the same. They were sending me back every single time and not to mention, the online sellers for Venue/new Creta are very less and they don't ship parts like windshield other fragile items.

I then had a chat with service manager through a friend who knew him and after coming to know of my intentions, he was helpful and ordered the parts using test drive vehicles VIN which was a manual top end. They always told me that they wont fit any parts for me at the dealer level as it was not their practice. Still after speaking with them, they agreed to replace just the rear glass at their workshop and I did the wiring part by myself and with the help of an expert. All the part numbers required are posted on the detailed post and you need just the adhesive extra to fit the glass apart from those mentioned.

Hope it helps.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:14   #84
Team-BHP Support

Neat job! Rear wiper is important for safety, not just convenience.

Long-standing peeve of mine how Hyundai skips it on all but the top model on most of their cars. Imagine paying a million+ rupees and then having to resort to DIY modding to get a damn wiper. Boo Hyundai
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:34   #85
BHPian

Very useful installation. My Hyundai DCT SX plus offers ease of driving, but driving during heavy rains, I have always felt the need for rear wipers. My Swift has it and I am so used to having that feature when reversing in traffic and tight spots during rains. Hyundai should have provided this from factory.
KVNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:41   #86
BHPian

Interesting. You don't usually think of a rear wiper when it comes to DIY mods for a car. Good job.
Did this require drilling a hole in the windscreen to mount the wiper assembly? How did you get that done?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 14:06   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... as this is an important safety feature and I am ready to let go of the warranty for this....

Hats off to you to get this done. I cannot stress the importance of this feature and it should be made mandatory for all cars considering the monsoon's in our country. 10 minutes on the highway on a rainy day is all it takes to cover up the rear glass. For all the features Hyundai offers, they treat the rear wiper as an ultra luxury feature offered only on the top optional trims

I honestly feel handicapped without all my mirrors and having a clear rear windshield is a must. I definitely cannot confidently drive a hatchback car without a rear wiper in the rains.

Till this thread, I honestly didn't know such a retrofit was possible. Thanks for documenting the process.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 6th December 2021 at 14:07.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 15:24   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Very useful installation. My Hyundai DCT SX plus offers ease of driving, but driving during heavy rains, I have always felt the need for rear wipers. My Swift has it and I am so used to having that feature when reversing in traffic and tight spots during rains. Hyundai should have provided this from factory.
Exactly my thoughts too. I had a rear wiper in all of my previous cars and Hyundai did not even gave an option for DCT customers. Back then, I took the rear wiper for granted, when it went missing in the new car is when I understood how important of a feature it was !
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Interesting. You don't usually think of a rear wiper when it comes to DIY mods for a car. Good job.
Did this require drilling a hole in the windscreen to mount the wiper assembly? How did you get that done?
Thank you. I changed the entire rear windshield as I don't think its quite possible to execute a hole so perfectly on a windshield. Afterall, the windshield doesn't cost a fortune too. All the wiper motor mounting holes where already present in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hats off to you to get this done. I cannot stress the importance of this feature and it should be made mandatory for all cars considering the monsoon's in our country. 10 minutes on the highway on a rainy day is all it takes to cover up the rear glass. For all the features Hyundai offers, they treat the rear wiper as an ultra luxury feature offered only on the top optional trims

Till this thread, I honestly didn't know such a retrofit was possible. Thanks for documenting the process.
Thanks a lot for the words. I am also in agreeance with all your points here. We see a lot using vehicles without mirrors and I still wonder how they do it. It just takes a 1 minute drive in heavy rain for the rear glass to get soaked in mud and take the driver to zero visibility of what is happening behind. The more I look at it, the manufacturers are least bothered. Like airbag and ABS, I think the rear wipe and wash should have been standard across all variants of all cars.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 18:24   #89
BHPian

25,000 kms up

Hello readers, an update to the thread in a while.

I have completed 25,000kms on my 2020 Venue DCT SX+. So far, I got nothing to complaint about the car(apart from a few missing features available on the top end manual variant) or Hyundai in general as their service has been really co-operative till date. From the previous post till now, I have completed the 20k kms service from KVR Hyundai, Calicut and their service has been really good till date. I have a better coordinating service manager here along with a couple of service advisors and they really did a great job for the general service, but an issue is ongoing regarding a tak-tak sound coming in from the steering wheel area and even though they promptly replaced the EPS motor under warranty, it did not solve the issue. Now they have ordered some child part of steering column which they identified as the culprit and hopefully that solves the issue. The sound comes only when driven through bad roads, else its all well and fine. The service bill is below, did not take much of time and they even offered me an express service in an hour as well, which I found really convincing.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-service.jpg

The EPS motor which was replaced.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img6441.jpg

The 20k kms on odo was sweet.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img7424.jpg

But I just missed the 25k mark by a whisker
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img9796.jpg

The mandatory alignment and balancing at Madhus as usual.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img5316.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img5319.jpg

A peep around the bottom of the car.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img5308.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img5311.jpg

Did not try the luck with a waterlogged road. This was somewhere around January when we received an unexpected downpour.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img3828.jpg

A small Waynad run always fits the bill.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img6865.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img5347.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img6913.jpg

To another hill. This time, Ponmudi. Accompanied by the 'Blade' too.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img8677.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img8714.jpg

The pseudo SUV's. That is Bhpian @krishnaprasadgg's Ford Ecosport.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img9283.jpg

To sum it up, the car has been decent. Its no VW DSG fitted on this, so do not expect lightning gear shifts when you drive like an enthusiast. But next to that lies this one. The slouch it is on D mode is taken care in the manual mode, really well too. The newer ones have paddle shifters and would be hot to drive. I really think the i20N line with same specs would be a hot car in the right hands, sadly I do not agree with its pricing strategy. I have been getting a constant 11-13kpl in extreme traffic and an approximate 18-19kpl on non-enthusiastic highway runs. Next up for me on the list is a tyre upgrade. The very decent Ceat's which I lauded in the 10k service post, is losing grip and its making a bit of sound too. The treads are still deep, but I might change it once it hits the 30k mark to something substantial, say something like a Michelin P4ST. Other than this, it has been a very decent job from Hyundai on the car, though I wish they had given me 6 airbags instead of that sunroof!

Ending with a beach side view.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img6159.jpg
Xaos636 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 07:10   #90
BHPian

Following up from the previous posts of a 'tak-tak' sound originating from the steering column, now its solved for good. The same issue is present on the Creta as well as the Verna and if you have the same, make sure you get it replaced under warranty. I had to go to the service center twice to get this resolved as their first replacement of EPS motor was not the right diagnosis. Earlier, Hyundai used to replaced the entire steering column under warranty, but now just the worm shaft. I also got the tail gate lifter assembly replaced under warranty as the tail gate refused to go up and usually gets stuck at half way. Speaks volumes about Hyundai's current quality control.
Attached Thumbnails
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-hyundai.png  

Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks