Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:26   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

The pricing of the Thar is excellent. Perhaps the top end variants are a bit expensive but not too much.

The reality is that the Thar has no competition which is a good and a bad thing. The good is that you currently cannot compare it with the current crop of softroaders like the Creta, Seltos etc. Those vehicles cannot hope to match the sense of occasion and the experience that the Thar gives you. So for someone buying the Thar for that there is really no other option. The upgrade has simply made buying the Thar for such reasons even stronger.

The bad is that there is very little conversion from the regular soft roaders to the Thar as it simple cannot compete with their strengths. Especially since to even get a Thar variant that is somewhat reasonably close to the regular SUVs in terms of equipment you are going to have to shell out close to 16 lakhs.

The pricing is excellent from the point of view that as a lifestyle vehicle that comes with the experience factor earlier referred to, it is not too much of a price to pay. And the fun thing is that even the base version at 9.8 lakhs will give you this experience. I see the niche getting bigger since I feel people wanting to buy into that experience but put off by the crude nature of the Gen 1 Thar may jump off the fence more readily in favor of the current Thar.

Good show by Mahindra....let's see how the sales fare.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 3rd October 2020 at 12:36.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:26   #347
BHPian

I too contemplated the value proposition of the Thar 2020, and can only conclude that the sheer bareness of the last gen Thar has maybe distracted from how Rs. 9,80,000/- is still a significant price for a very barebones vehicle.

Did a little comparison of the variants and how Mahindra has chosen to spread the cost across variants. Clearly the biggest premium is being charged for the 4 seat conversion (rear seats, roll cage, seat belts, etc) along with the mandatory choice of Convertible top or Hard Top.

The premium for the features included in the LX seems reasonable in isolation, although one is left wondering why the 50% higher premium for Diesel variants.

And while most basic needs of potential buyers seemed to be covered by the extensive additions in the new Thar, I feel they surely could have provisioned for improved head lights for the LX variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-tharspeccomparo.png  

ask99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:32   #348

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2020 at 07:26. Reason: Punctuation.
navial is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:45   #349
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
The problem here is most of the wannabe customers of Thar is of those kinds who wish to be seen in a proper jeep, yet not ready to sacrifice the comforts of a hatchback, sedan or a mini pseudo SUV luke creta or seltos. I have a suggession to those people - Stay away from a proper Jeep like Thar.
Well said. Same reason I've stayed away from it. An ecosport TDCI makes more sense to me than this at around 13-14L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
Wow, wherever you are, you read people's minds
If the latest V-cross that's launched in Thailand showed up before the Thar did, I'd have owned that, if pricing was right.
Thanks.
You should wait for the time being and look out for Isuzu launch BS6 models (expected around Dec 2020). I'm sure they aren't going to keep the prices minimum, but there's a hope for AP state buyers. You get tax free until March 2021. In case you don't like the pricing of BS6 Dmax (very high probability) when it's launched in Dec 2020, you can always get back to Thar. By then the niggles of Thar will be known to you from TeamBhp buyers.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:51   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
The problem here is most of the wannabe customers of Thar is of those kinds who wish to be seen in a proper jeep, yet not ready to sacrifice the comforts of a hatchback, sedan or a mini pseudo SUV luke creta or seltos.
It just comes to mind the era where a power steering, AC and power windows were considered ultra luxurious.

With Thar, I feel an AT, AC, power steering and a good HU for navigation are in itself plentitude of sorts when it comes to creature comforts, anything more is over abundance. Hard core off roaders may not even need any of these. They would be more keen in the mechanical abilities of the vehicle. This is a shot at providing the best of both worlds, how far Mahindra is successful at it would be known in the coming days once the euphoria and novelty of new Thar dies down.

Isn't it quite interesting that cross overs/ pseudo SUV's try to boast about their "off road abilities" too and true blue SUVs like Thar claiming to provide the comforts of your hatchback, sedans etc. High time these cars focussed on their strengths than trying to be something else which they're not. It's man's desire to have a bit of all slices, if one may call it, that makes these manufacturers to tread this path.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 3rd October 2020 at 13:18.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:02   #351
BHPian

Guys I wonder why many feel the new Thar is overpriced? Consider this: I bought a new Storme Vx in 2014 at 16 lakh on road, all it offered was a 4*2, manual gearbox with only two airbags and oh yes abs. In 2020 you get an automatic 4*4, with a plethora of aids, a hardtop, 18 inch alloys and more creature comforts compared to what was offered years back on the same price point.
Don't compare it with cheap front wheel drive hatches like the sonnet, a sonnet is an extremely overpriced large hatchback with some goodies to try and justify the price.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:04   #352
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Took the convertible out for a highway run today, and this Diesel AT is the EXACT spec I'm buying (except for the colour - my choice is red ). Am dreaming about driving to Pawna with the top on, taking it off while in Pawna (and offroading there), then putting it back on for the drive home. This convertible idea is BRILLIANT. No other mass market 4x4 has offered this in India:
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-dsc03967.jpg

A soft-top just feels more "Jeep" to me, and it looks way more bad-ass than the hard top. Downsides = lesser security, the soft-top will age with time (water leaks etc) and wind noise is excessive at even 90 - 100 kmph:
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-dsc03734.jpg

Only thing I don't like is this lump of canopy at the back. Looks ugly. But I'm willing to live with that for the sheer convenience of opening her up in 10 minutes (removing a regular soft-top is a pain) and not having to worry about where to store it:
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-dsc03973.jpg

The Diesel AT is smooth & peppy. In fact, it's so smooth that I find the Petrol AT to be irrelevant - in my mind, I've termed the Petrol as the "Delhi-NCR variant". Like the petrol (max revs = 5,500 rpm), the diesel is a low revving motor too. It shifts up at ~4,000 rpm even under kickdown. In manual mode, you can take it to ~4,800. The extra revs will be useful while offroading, but in full AT mode, you'll see upshifts at 4,000 tops. The diesel is enjoyable to pilot and in any driving condition - be it the city / highway / offroading - it will deliver between 2.5 to 4 kmpl MORE than the petrol. Must mention that I noticed the Diesel's AT getting confused more than the petrol. It's not too frequent and only happens during aggressive driving + varying throttle input. But on a 150 km drive, the Petrol probably got confused thrice...the diesel did five times.

Damn thing is so bumpy that I was struggling to smoothly drink my hot black coffee from the mug @ 80 kmph. Jeep is continuously moving up & down, even on a flat highway. If you find the ride quality to be cushy, check the air pressure = dealers are very smart & lower it to 25 PSI (Toyota dealers used to do this for the 1st-gen Fortuner).

These two went out yesterday. Aditya was in the Thar & Viddy in the Gloster. Vid6639 says "everyone's eyes were on the Thar, no one even noticed the Gloster when we were cruising back to back"
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img20201002wa0011.jpg

The kind of adventure-lover who should buy a Thar:
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201003_085328.jpg

This Benz tailed me for a full ~20 km. I had to stop for a second and guess what, they pulled over too, to check the Thar out:
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201003_091641.jpg

Every hour, I'm going to the backside balcony & ogling at the Thar parked down. My home staff thinks I've gone mad (which I have ):
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201003-12.09.43.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2020 at 13:08.
GTO is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:18   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn thing is so bumpy that I was struggling to smoothly drink my hot black coffee from the mug @ 80 kmph. Jeep is continuously moving up & down, even on a flat highway.
How doed it compare to the 2015 Thar?

I have had a couple of 3-4 day flings with the previous Thar and don't remember to be "scarily" bad at high speeds. In fact on one adventure across Meghalaya (starting in Guwahati) I had a wonderful time in a Thar with a rooftop tent mounted on external steel frame. The drivability of the engine up and down the highway between Guwahati and Shillong was pleasantly surprising, and no point did I find it unnerving.

Hence am absolutely curious how bad the bounciness of the New Thar is.
ask99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:21   #354
Senior - BHPian

It's overpriced by 1 Lakh. The premium approach shows even in the Petrol Vs Diesel pricing :

The manual diesel is 46k over the manual petrol, whereas, the automatic diesel is just 30k over the petrol automatic.

M&M knows that their ideal customer would want the manual diesel over petrol for the torque, also because the manual would mostly be preferred for off-roading.

The manual petrol convertible seems to have been deliberately kept off the price chart to avoid direct understanding of price differences.

Theis pricing during an economic downturn is adventurous. They absolutely should've gone for aggressive introductory pricing.

Maybe M&M doesn't have the full production capacity yet & are willing to risk it while having used a non-original design. (P.S. : Wouldn't mind the design part though, atleast they've made it available for the segment that off-roading enthusiasts would find acceptable).

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd October 2020 at 13:27.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:23   #355
BHPian

I just got back from a quick visit to my nearby Mahindra showroom to check out the Thar. They had a black Thar, MT, LX top model on display.

Few thoughts as an existing Thar (2015) owner:
  • No crowds. One other person besides me.
  • The new Thar is much bigger than the old one. This is no longer the small nimble goat it used to be.
  • Now the thing is where I live many of the mountain roads are narrow, the New Thar , in my opinion, will be a pain to drive in narrow roads. The old Thar is known to be a nimble goat, climb up narrow paths with ease; this one is not suited for that - it is much too large. In fact, I used to always admire the old Classic for the very same reason - it was just the right size for those narrow mountain paths. And even for congested small town roads, the old Thar is wayy better!
  • The New one is good size for highway driving, but then you could do with many other cars with better highway manners.
  • I read some reports that said you can hardly make out the motor running, but I could clearly hear the diesel motor running when I started it for a while.
  • Looking forward to TD later in a week or two. I think they should have launched this big car with 4 disc brakes.
  • It will take a great deal to take off and fit back that 18" Stepney.
  • When you open the bonnet, the engine bay is pretty large. Not easy to reach around to do your fluid checks, etc.
  • The sales team seems a bit desperate, citing increase in price later and also when I mentioned rumors of the 5-door to be launched later, they rubbished that news. This is not going to fly off the shelves here. Especially with the pandemic, spirts are low.

Last edited by johy : 3rd October 2020 at 13:24.
johy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:32   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Took the convertible out for a highway run today, and this Diesel AT is the EXACT spec I'm buying (except for the colour - my choice is red ). Am dreaming about driving to Pawna with the top on, taking it off while in Pawna (and offroading there), then putting it back on for the drive home. This convertible idea is BRILLIANT. No other mass market 4x4 has offered this in India:
I know you are excited... but! the soft top is a pain and once the honeymoon is over you will curse it even for a pawna trip. I sold the Thar only due to that flaw, especially since Thar is capable of doing 90-100 kph through the day, and one will tend to take it for longer drives. I would suggest Soft top for people who either drive only in the city or live in the wilderness. Anything in between, hard top it is.
Jaggu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:33   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Took the convertible out for a highway run today, and this Diesel AT is the EXACT spec I'm buying (except for the colour - my choice is red ).
👍 Nice that you made up your decision.

For guys like me, especially since you did a long test drive, could you please list out some Pros and Cons between a Petrol AT and a Diesel AT?

Is the additional Power, Torque and refinement of the Petrol noticeable? I've read that even the Diesel is pretty quiet and refined.

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:47   #358
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I am sure Mahindra has researched all of these and eventually for numbers they will be targetting government and military as Gypsy upgrades.
...add to the list the forest safari vehicles owned privately, on contract, for visitors of various national parks and sanctuaries across the country. With the gypsy's production stopped, there is a dearth of petrol powered open top vehicles which are required for that purpose.
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:48   #359
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Does the front seat slide back sufficiently yo accommodate tall drivers?
I remembered someone else asking this before (or was it you only?) and checked it today. 6 footers and up should be okay. The front seat slides back enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
How doed it compare to the 2015 Thar?
Been a while since I drove the 1st-gen Thar at speed. But I can tell you the '20 Thar rides like a short wheelbase Scorpio. It's liveable, but very bumpy. There are some broken patches around my house and I purposely took the Thar in those lanes. Felt every millimeter of the bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
For guys like me, especially since you did a long test drive, could you please list out some Pros and Cons between a Petrol AT and a Diesel AT?
- Both are refined by the respective diesel / petrol standards. Of course, the petrol more so.

- Diesel will offer acceptable FE & tank range, the petrol not at all (especially with an AT).

- Because Mahindra is so good with diesels, I'll bet my money on the diesel being the more reliable over 150,000 km. Big turbo-petrols are a completely new area for them.

- Petrol is a little faster, but the Thar isn't one to be driven fast. It's a poor handler at speed.

- Petrol has 700 more rpm, but 5,500 rpm is still low (by petrol standards). These extra revs will be useful when having fun in sand dunes & climbing long inclines.

- Offroading advantage? Difference is too slim. All down to the driver.

- Both are fantastic engines overall. My only question is - when the diesel also offers good refinement & peppiness - why would you buy a guzzling petrol? Unless you are from Delhi-NCR.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2020 at 13:55.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 13:49   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Diesel AT is smooth & peppy. In fact, it's so smooth that I find the Petrol AT to be irrelevant - in my mind, I've termed the Petrol as the "Delhi-NCR variant". Like the petrol (max revs = 5,500 rpm), the diesel is a low revving motor too. It shifts up at ~4,000 rpm even under kickdown. In manual mode, you can take it to ~4,800. The extra revs will be useful while offroading, but in full AT mode, you'll see upshifts at 4,000 tops. The diesel is enjoyable to pilot and in any driving condition - be it the city / highway / offroading - it will deliver between 2.5 to 4 kmpl MORE than the petrol.

If you find the ride quality to be cushy, check the air pressure = dealers are very smart & lower it to 25 PSI
The ex-showroom price difference between the Petrol and Diesel AT Hardtop is twenty thousand and the difference between Petrol and Diesel price is around 11 rupees in Bombay at the moment.

Looking at your preference/happiness with the Diesel AT vs Petrol AT, what would you recommend for a person with say an average running of 500 kms a month. The emphasis (not taking fuel economy into consideration) being on drivability, engine noise in the Hardtop cabin (diesel vs petrol), smoothness, reliability and long term ownership, maybe for 7 to 10 years. Generally speaking of course, barring unforeseen circumstances.

What is the company recommended tyre pressure and what tyre pressure did you maintain during your drive.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks