Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:18   #256
VRJ
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I don't think it is as well-priced as BHPians are thinking. As I had predicted, Mahindra has indeed gone for profits. 16 - 17 lakhs is a lot of money for a vehicle with severely restricted usability, poor highway manners, 2 doors, a 4-seater with little boot space and very few amenities (by current standards).
Yes, exactly. I’m surprised why a lot of BHP’ians think the Thar is well priced, unless you were expecting it to be priced around 20L on-road. The diesel AT hardtop is going to cost 16.xx Lakh on-road. I personally feel it should have been priced at 15L on-road for the diesel AT and I would have booked one by now if it was priced in that range. Or maybe I have irrational expectations.

Nonetheless, I will test drive one and hopefully it’s worth the hype and the premium price. If not, I’ll wait for the Skoda Vision IN.

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:19   #257
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of the 6 seater Thar AX Soft top.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-save_20201002_141823.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-save_20201002_141815.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-save_20201002_141808.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-save_20201002_141758.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-save_20201002_141751.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 2nd October 2020 at 14:31.
JayD is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:20   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Spot on pricing!!!

Guess Marazzo and XUV300 experiences may have lead to Mahindra going back to the XUV500 strategy.

Frankly when many said the pricing would be premium, expect 20 lakhs, the previous Thar itself was 13 lakhs OTR, Mahindra is not for charity et al, thought maybe I had lost all touch with practical pricing.
Makes it more exciting to see the pricing of the next gen Scorpio and XUV500.

Guess fence sitters have little excuse now, other than the cooling period for any new car
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:24   #259
BHPian

I am not sharing this video to explain mechanism of convertible, rather to show you the romanticism of driving Thar with roof down and purely enjoying the drive. Check how it would look in this mode to others on road. Pure jealousy!

Hope there would be better after market convertible options available further enhancing the look of Thar when covered.

varunswnt is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:30   #260
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised why some of you are extremely disapointed in the Thar pricing. The out going Thar was for 10L Ex showroom. The new one with a host of additional features, both drivetrain wise, and interior feature wise along with an automatic and a new engine is for 3.75L extra. Where is the problem?

Ah on road prices. So if you see here in dehradun we'll get it for approximately 15L onroad. So its spot on. Same with a lot of other states too. UP, Chandigarh, Punjab etc.
Now if the RTO is extremely high in a few states, that cannot be factored in by the company. Simple.
navpreet318 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:34   #261
udy
BHPian

There seem to be some good Accessories on offer as genuine accessories too. The Reverse Camera and the Front Parking Sensors will be no doubt must haves, but I also see a 'Heads Up Display' as a part of the GA. Wonder what this displays and how useful it will be.

On a side note, I also see Mahindra is offering 16' Alloys as a part of genuine accessories, which actually looks good too and might be useful for those upgrading/downgrading to 16' Alloys without any warranty issues.

All in all, the Accessories look very impressive too and looks like Mahindra have done their home work well this time other than offering a different Grill as genuine accessories.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (GA) which other readers might not be able to understand.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd October 2020 at 20:04. Reason: GA - genuine accessories
udy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:37   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

On-road prices for Mumbai as on CarWale.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-f0b8e1a660f947d9ab2504f5dbdaf7ea.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-8bd0506b43d4474582942ff003fd96d1.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:37   #263
BHPian

How I wish there was an option to get the white wheels on the LX variant.

Would 15" steel wheels fit the car or is 16" the minimum with tire changes as the only change? What profile will fit.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:43   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
A hatchback like Sonet costs more than a real SUV with 4x4 like Thar.
At the risk of going against the trend, the Sonet also comes with much higher kit levels. I don't think there is any merit in comparing the prices of the 2 cars. The Thar is a lifestyle product and has got no direct competition. Anyone considering the Sonet/Seltos would not buy the Thar and vice versa.
drmohitg is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:44   #265
BHPian

This is sensible pricing. Mahindra has gone in for the kill. The perpetually delayed Jimny is better off staying in its womb. Gurkha who?

Sure the top end variant is a lot of money. But compared to the lower models its well equipped for its price difference. Only thing that I would be concerned would be the OEM audio quality. Rest of the features like Brake locking diff, Cruise control, ESP and roll cage are difficult or impossible to fit aftermarket. Its either that or bare bones base model(which can be customized) for me .
tomraven99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:49   #266
Senior - BHPian

After watching the 12:30PM booking launch event, went straight to the showroom taking due precautions to check out the vehicle in flesh.

Its an extremely imposing vehicle with a large stance. There was a black Diesel MT Hard to on display. Very comfortable from the driver's position and great visibility although I felt the pedals are too close to each other. It didn't take much effort to step onto the driver's seat, also getting to the back is convenient once the front seat is folded forward.

Fit and finish looked very good with all dark interiors. The rear is livable although it is for max 3 people if you want to travel with reasonable amount of luggage. The A/T wheel at the back looks really massive.

Have been going through online references about the WW2 history with reference to this vehicle. The current short wheel base (SWB) form factor was intentionally selected after exhaustive trials and it was called a 1/4 (quarter) tonne chassis variant to carry troops without getting bogged down. The longer wheelbase (LWB) 1/2 tonne variant was considered too bulky and less suitable for real offroad use. The 1/4 tonne chassis SWB Jeep was designed to practically carry three persons. Two in the front and 1 in the back with weapons/equipment. I believe this is relevant to the current new Thar as well. It is practical for 3 people with luggage.

This shortwheel base version is the one to go for if you are looking for exclusivity with a personal touch (best for 2 people). It can be put to real offroad use and recreational use and is the "real" SUV and the more stylish one. This one will always remain the original and not the long wheelbase one (anticipated it will be launched down the line).

I would still like the long wheelbase 4-door variant to come out as fast as possible. That would be more practical from a utility perspective but would loose out the real 4X4 capability that the shortwheel base (currently released one) possesses.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd October 2020 at 15:03.
for_cars1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:03   #267
BHPian

I think these prices would have been great if the Thar had two doors more!

For the 2 door version, Mahindra knows volumes will not be massive as a niche product, especially after the initial pent up demand. So, they have priced for profits for a lower base volume. 1.25-1.5Lac lower onroad for the hard top automatics would have been a good, aggressive price.
guptad42 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:06   #268
BHPian

With the new Petrol Manual now on the offer in LX, what do the bhpians say?
Earlier a lot was talked of the Petrol auto but the expected FE was a bummer, although the 150hp motor was a good selling point. Now with petrol manual in picture, will it make sense to look at it against a diesel manual?
It's a 50k difference only between the 2 manuals. Saving 50k ex-showroom cost, you get a powerful and refined motor, with lesser FE. Does it make any sense in the equation? Will love to hear thoughts as I am contemplating between the 2 now.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:12   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Disappointed that both the car dealers here in Hyderabad have only black color as the option
A friend who visited the Jubilee Hills Check post showroomm said, there's a black Thar outside and Copper Thar inside.
bolbolerobol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:17   #270
BHPian

Spot on pricing. I'm more inclined towards Petrol. May be will buy an year later. Considering our city traffic, automatic is a sensible option.
Also my favorite color in Thar is black.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks