Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 00:14   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

AX and AX opt are only available in red and black? Atleast that’s what shown on the website. Also the red colour brings you white steel 16inch rims whereas the black one gets you dark grey steel 16inch rims
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-ec59fa4fcd1c44c5a2770d906d7dc7b2.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-2ac68f53d80e42349681158824ff4b6d.jpeg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th October 2020 at 00:17.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 01:38   #392
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Thar looks stunning in black.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201003_13340701.jpeg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201003_13344801.jpeg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201003_13354901.jpeg
//M is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 02:17   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Paid a visit to CAI Mahindra earlier today.
I was surprised that the hood didn't have any sound deadening material inside. It didn't feel as heavy as a hood as other Mahindras or Tatas - My XUV5OO definitely had a heavier hood! I'll reserve the Diesel's noise on the outside when I hear it running though.
On my Pajero sport with water hitting the sound insulation under the hood, it became saggy and eventually came off. Can't find a replacement and it gets pretty noisy outside.
From the reviews I have understood that the diesel on the Thar is quite silent (by rugged SUV standards) so probably it wasn't even needed.

Will know for sure when I test drive it since the delivery is 4 weeks away. ( Yes, I'm counting days)
abhinavsureka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 07:45   #394
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I know you are excited... but! the soft top is a pain and once the honeymoon is over you will curse it even for a pawna trip
I know, brother. Remember that my Classic has had a soft-top for 20 years . It's only 2 years back that I threw it away and have kept it open 100% of the time.

For me, open-top motoring in a Jeep is a non-negotiable MUST-HAVE. Now, the hard-top can be removed, but it will be a one-day process at the workshop to remove and one-day to fit back. Then, how to bring the hard-top back home? In a tempo. Lastly, we have to find a place to store it (I have ample space, but still a consideration for many).

Most importantly, I cannot do this at the drop of a hat. I loved the hard-top Thar too and think it makes terrific sense for those who want that practicality. But if I loved the hard-top Thar I drove first, I loved the convertible TWICE as much. The hard-top Thar is a lot about practicality, but the convertible is romance. As someone who's always been a heart-over-head kind of guy, my choice here is obvious . I cannot get smiles & laughs like this in the hard-top...you can't imagine the fun my family had:
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img20201003wa0005.jpg

My review of cruising open-top in the convertible:

- Opening took 5 minutes. Might be even lesser once someone gets the hang of it. Putting back should take 10 - 15 minutes, but I haven't tried it yet. After years of spending hours & hours removing the soft-top of my Classic, this is a revelation.

- Open-top motoring is a joy to be cherished. If you haven't experienced it before, please do. You will fall in love.

- Doesn't feel as "open" as my Classic due to the thick roll-over bar and ancillaries (plastic panels, housing for speakers etc.).

- Rearward visibility is impossible with that lump of folded canopy lying at the back. I had to take my watchman's help to park. Reversing camera is mandatory.

- Music audible, but sound quality drops from 6.5 to 4 / 10. Max volume too less.

- Sucks that the windscreen doesn't drop down in the Thar like it does in my Jeep. That said, I don't drive my Jeep with the windscreen down too much due to the danger from pebbles hitting my face / eyes.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2020 at 07:48.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 08:06   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't drive my Jeep with the windscreen down too much due to the danger from pebbles hitting my face / eyes.
With the windscreen down, or, say, while riding a mobike, it is absolutely imperative to put on glasses/ goggles that shields the eyes well from the sides.

Eyes get red and develop an irritation if exposed to wind for too long.

I've been facing this issue every time I ride with normal specs. on.
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 09:20   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Price list attached.
Lovely. Sonet vs Thar is not the apt comparison. But when the heart orders, the head just listens

I was looking at the price list and wondering what these charges are Incidental Charges, Standard Fitment, SureSAF e-kit

What is Incidental charge? Is this the same as handling charges?

Insurance is scary high. If we do it in private would the costs come down?

Quote:
Attachment 2058374

• My God, the Thar looks astonishingly handsome & screams style! I have fallen for it hook, line & sinker. The “Jeep” styling & proportions are spot on (Jeep Wrangler xerox copy notwithstanding).
Oh! @GTO thanks for this detailed pre review. I am so waiting for the full review with the pics. I am so tempted, but these things keep me thinking:

1. Ingress / Egress - Though a family of 3, my son for 99.9999% of the times pushes wifey to the back and this high seating position along with the front door entry / exit will need more convincing

2. As the only car in the family with parents on the other side of 75, there is a lot of thought going on at the moment.

3. The ride may be bumpy today, but I am thinking a year or two down the line and the subsequent iterations may fix the ride issues. Handling, I am not worried as I don't redline at all. I generally cruise at 90 - 110 most of the time in my highway runs

4. Luggage space. Need to find a jugaad, maybe an after market luggage carrier like the one in Jimny or something that can be attached to the rear bumper. One question though, are we allowed to tow a luggage carrier if possible?

5. I was browsing through the brochure one item in the accessories caught my eye. The Kingcamp Back Seat Air Bed. I am thinking if it can be used for the highway runs!

I so want to go for it. Maybe I am now thinking about a regular pre owned car for city runs and for those long trips where comfort is paramount. Maybe a larger hatch or sedan that can live with me for 10 years

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th October 2020 at 18:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi quote option when replying to multiple posts.
Old 4th October 2020, 09:46   #397
BHPian

Took a test drive with the family. Wife and I took turns driving while the kid was happy at the back. Will compile a report of observations soon.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201003_113903.jpg
Back seat is best for kids. Wonder how adults would feel after a while considering they are sitting between raised wheel arches and the windows don't traditionally roll down.
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201003_114209.jpg
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201003_110342.jpg

Cannot see it as the only car and daily driver regardless of adjustments one would be willing to make. Good second vehicle for short rides and weekend picnics. Kids just love the 'jeep' thing even coming from an SUV like the Safari. Have to agree with @GTO and can imagine how kids (and adults alike) would go bonkers when you put the convertible top down.

If it's meant anyway only as a weekend car one could dial down the practicality and weather protection quotient further down and go for the convertible.

Some BHPians may be aware of my mission for the elusive SUV with the convenience of an Auto box combined with the capability of 4wd.

Today, the Thar is the only Automatic 4x4 in India below 20 lakhs .
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 10:18   #398
BHPian

With all this 'over the top' cribbing from day 1, and given the kind of community support the Thar gets, I think the market is ripe for aftermarket hard tops that are 5 min jobs. My ideal scenario is (Aap Chronology Samjhiye):

Step 1 > Some T-BHP member gets frustrated in a few months and do a DIY job first.

Step 2 > Someone gets inspired by that and launches it as a 3d printed product which Thar owners lap up.

Step 3 > Finally, Anand Mahindra sees it and tweets to Pawan Goenka asking why they didn't come up with it in the first place.

I mean that's the American...err...Indian dream, isn't it? Atmanirbhar Thar ownership!

Quote:
For me, open-top motoring in a Jeep is a non-negotiable MUST-HAVE. Now, the hard-top can be removed, but it will be a one-day process at the workshop to remove and one-day to fit back. Then, how to bring the hard-top back home? In a tempo. Lastly, we have to find a place to store it (I have ample space, but still a consideration for many).

Last edited by Aditya : 5th October 2020 at 06:43. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
aaychat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 10:47   #399
udy
BHPian

Here is a CarandBike video with some details of the much needed Accessories Thar offers as Genuine Accessories.

The 'Dark Lord' option does look attractive and is priced around 26k which would be a very pricing for what it offers like Front Bumper Cladding, Wheel Arch Claddings, the Headlamp ,Taillamp and Rear View Mirror Appliques and the Mud Flaps looks value for money. The seat covers and floormats also are priced decently and will be in demand.

The 16' Alloys will be available from November and should interest all those who prefer them (I guess GTO already mentioned that he will be downgrading for ride comfort).

This video also answers one of my earlier questions regarding the Head Up display and looks like only the vehicle speed will be projected. They did not mention the pricing for or details of the Rear View camera, but looking at how Mahindra has been pricing everything related to Thar, should be decently priced.

All in all, the Accessories range has something for everyone like 'Chrome Hero' package for those who like bling, some very practical accessories like the tailgate snack tray, magnetic sun shades etc. Very impressive from Mahindra as they seem to have thought of everything and enabled buying it from the dealership instead of the aftermarket and not worry of warranties etc. If only they would have provided a different grill too...

udy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:15   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
I am so tempted, but these things keep me thinking:

I so want to go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
1. Ingress / Egress - Though a family of 3, my son for 99.9999% of the times pushes wifey to the back and this high seating position along with the front door entry / exit will need more convincing
Last thing any adult would consent to. An occasional ride in the back is understandable. On a periodic basis a definite NO.

Quote:
2. As the only car in the family with parents on the other side of 75, there is a lot of thought going on at the moment.
Don’t let your heart take over head in this instance. No way senior citizens will feel even moderately comfortable with this jeep.
This can be the only car provided you have an acquired taste. Putting aside off roading, cumbersome to drive around in traffic jams, not being apt for driving in narrow lanes, are things that come to my mind immediately. Look at the sheer size of the thing. Post the test drive when you draw comparisons with other cars, the list of compromises You need to make gets Bigger.

Quote:
3. The ride may be bumpy today, but I am thinking a year or two down the line and the subsequent iterations may fix the ride issues. Handling, I am not worried as I don't redline at all. I generally cruise at 90 - 110 most of the time in my highway runs
It’s a jeep, remember that. The ride will not change Noticeably enough in future. Yes i worry about how it handles if one is coming from low-slung vehicles.

Quote:
4. Luggage space. Need to find a jugaad, maybe an after market luggage carrier like the one in Jimny or something that can be attached to the rear bumper. One question though, are we allowed to tow a luggage carrier if possible?
Not at all practical to say the least.

Quote:
Maybe I am now thinking about a regular pre owned car for city runs and for those long trips where comfort is paramount. Maybe a larger hatch or sedan that can live with me for 10 years
I understand the tricks the mind plays. Have experienced that. See, you want to own 2 cars now because you can’t let go the THAR.
I don’t intend to dampen your spirit. My brother is buying one.
You buy a car that doesn’t meet your requirements, then on a daily basis you need to convince yourself that you have made the correct choice. Please take your time and decide. Good luck.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th October 2020 at 06:40. Reason: Please use the multi-quote feature instead of bold text to reply
greendream is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:22   #401
BHPian

Booked my aquamarine LX MT Hard Top yesterday. Booking amount was quoted as 21,000. The showroom guy said deliveries could start around Dussehra time.

Didn't even take a test drive before booking. I went for it after completing the booking process . That is how determined I was about getting it.

As many have said before in the forums, there are a few compromises if you are looking to keep the Thar purely as a city/urban lifestyle vehicle. But for its true intended purpose, I think Mahindra has just hit the ball out of the park with this second version.

The first thing that I am planning to replace are the Ceat Tyres. I am trying to source the 265/65R 18 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2.

Insurance quote given by the showroom was 94,000 Rs which is absolutely ridiculous. I checked around with a couple of other providers and the quotes they gave were around the 50k - 60k mark. So this is something that needs to be looked into during delivery.

I also asked the manager about the accessories and he said that most of the accessories should be available for fitment at the time of delivery.
Diesel9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:35   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here is part 2 - New Thar is shown with both the Jeep as well as angry grill.

https://Youtu.be/yrH1J4Y4wwE
Somehow, the OEM grill design on the 2020 Thar has grown on me and I'm liking this grill a lot more now.

I think the factory fitted grill looks good and gives the Thar a unique identity and doesn't need that aftermarket 7 slat wanna-be Wrangler grill.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th October 2020 at 11:37.
for_cars1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 12:20   #403
BHPian

Honestly, OEM grill looks good and can easily live with it for first few years, and when you are into that mod mood, can play around with after markets easily. This is a vehicle which is a paradise for mod lovers, and I as a person who loves to keep a fresh vehicle in stock condition for initial few years can easily live with it in present form. Only 2 add ons which is essential for me would be
a) A reverse cam
b) Auto dimming rear view mirror which you can easily source from aliexpress.
highwaypatrol is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 12:33   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel9999 View Post

Insurance quote given by the showroom was 94,000 Rs which is absolutely ridiculous. I checked around with a couple of other providers and the quotes they gave were around the 50k - 60k mark. So this is something that needs to be looked into during delivery.

I also asked the manager about the accessories and he said that most of the accessories should be available for fitment at the time of delivery.
50-60 is also very high. The ex showroom of the Thar is 13.5 for the AT. I bought a Harrier in July 2020 whose Ex Showroom was 18.90. For that I got insurance- comprehensive, bumper to bumper zero dep, for 56k (with three year third party). So the Thar should be in the region of 40 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
T
Attachment 2062702

Today, the Thar is the only Automatic 4x4 in India below 20 lakhs .
with those exposed screw heads below the rear window, there is no way on earth I would put my kid on those back seats. The Thar is good, nay great, as a two seater. It definitely cannot be a substitute for a family car.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th October 2020 at 18:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 12:42   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
50-60 is also very high. The ex showroom of the Thar is 13.5 for the AT. I bought a Harrier in July 2020 whose Ex Showroom was 18.90. For that I got insurance- comprehensive, bumper to bumper zero dep, for 56k (with three year third party). So the Thar should be in the region of 40 I think.
Yes, what you said makes sense. The 50-60k quote was the one I got over a couple of phone calls. So if we sit down and bargain, it could definitely come down. But the only doubt I have is about how insurance companies will view the Thar in terms of risk perspective. Will they look at it as a higher risk model for damage (because of the inherent risks associated with off roading)? Or will it be treated just like every other vehicle?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks