Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 11:26   #526
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Considering the soft top side windows can be opened from outside, how can we ever sleep/shop/go to work in peace if we know that its that easy to access? Anyone has any pointers?
Keep thinking that you are in possession of a glorified auto-rickshaw. You will learn to adjust or live with the concerns of a soft top.
crdi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:26   #527
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
The most interesting part was a banked curve near the Sinhgad Institute in Kusgaon (for those who are familiar with the Pune Mumbai Expressway). The curve was taken at a speed of 90 (in the middle lane) - and apart from a very slight roll - which can be attributed to the high CG - i did not feel the vehicle misbehave in any way. On the way back, my friend took the wheel and took on the same curve at 100 - and his feedback was the same. The vehicle felt planted, sure and it never required any line correction or throttle lift through the turn.
Keep in mind that, should you lose it, recovery in a tall body-on-frame RWD UV is extremely difficult and only expert drivers will emerge unscathed. In comparison, it's easier to regain control of a monocoque FWD hatchback / sedan / crossover that has understeer intentionally tuned into the car.

Quote:
Considering the soft top side windows can be opened from outside, how can we ever sleep/shop/go to work in peace if we know that its that easy to access? Anyone has any pointers?
Answer is easy = don't leave any valuables inside. Not only will those valuables be visible, but the soft-top can be cut open with a blade. In the rare occasion that I've left something worth even 300 bucks in my Classic (say a pack of cigarettes), I've hidden them under the seat.

The Thar is a major attraction, even without valuables inside. You'll need to park it safely wherever you go. I can't even leave my old Jeep anywhere & everywhere as people fool around with it. Plus, these vehicles are easier to steal (Scorpio's immobiliser doesn't seem to be stopping any thief).
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:42   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Quite agree with you except the landrover part. For me (also for many customers) the landrover symbolises comfortable overlanding. Not offroading. This is a car you do 600/1000 kms a day in great comfort, across any terrain. You don't take it along 100 kms on a highway to purposely crawl on rocks as a weekend playtime. For overland touring in India the landrover fits the bill .
I agree, but unforrunately how much ever I want, overlanding in India is a very limited affair and I can't afford a land rover. Most wranglers in US and Australia are heavily modded for overlanding and many are used as a 2 seater only. While I would have loved to own a Jeep Gladiator with a roof top tent and drive 1000kms to overland in the most beautiful places this country has, but I can't get one.

I have driven cross country on a celerio and also on my ecosoport twice from bangalore to Shimla or Kolkata. Will Thar be able to do that, I suppose yes. Will it have compromises, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
May I know what made you to rule out Petrol? Just trying to understand and consolidate the pros and cons of each variants.
Honestly, I don't have much inputs to evaluate petrol for now. The petrol AT is being pegged to give 8 to 9kmpl, so I don't think Petrol MT will be more than 10 anyday with the enhanced power. Till now the reviews suggest diesels to be well powered, so the added FE is playing to it's benefits.

But I will surely be on the lookout on the Petrol MT reviews if I get hold of one.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 12:29   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Does the AX monochrome touchscreen accessory have Google maps navigation?
I doubt if the AX even has a touchscreen, as far as I could see from the (very rare to come by) footages of the variant. M&M is clearly pushing buyers towards the LX, which in my opinion is slightly over-priced. In fact, I find it quite amusing that the so-called "Lifestyle" variant gets the electronic brake differential - which is crucial to come out of sticky off-road situations - whereas the "Adventure" variant does not! One would get a clear picture of the differences (other than what's on paper) across LX and AX only on physical inspection I guess. While most of the stuff like audio system, fog lamps, etc. can be retrofitted, there are items like this brake diff which one will have to give a miss with the AX. Hope there are no compromises made in the AX variant when it comes to important aspects like ride and handling, engine tuning, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Apologies for this seemingly offtopic post, but I felt to share.
No need to apologize, buddy as this post was straight from the heart THIS is the chord we are talking about, that the Thar (or any similar vehicle) strikes in one's heart. And this is the pull that cannot be justified rationally, however hard one tries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
As I get older I crave and cherish, more and more, simplicity.
With all due respect, sir - to each his own! Some may say that as they get older, they crave for more comfort and convenience, which might not necessarily come in tandem with simplicity. I have owned and loved my SWB 4x4s for 2 decades now - first the Classic and now the Gypsy - both as simple and bare-bones as a vehicle can get! However, as age inevitably catches up, I am sure that sooner rather than later I will start craving for some more creature comforts like A/C, power steering, better ride, etc. while still being able to enjoy the "jeep" feel and open top driving! And the new Thar gives me just that. Similarly, many of us out there would want to experience the jeep life without having to compromise on basic creature comforts and M&M has given them an excellent option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
End of the day, what matters is this car will introduce a whole lot more people to the amazing world of Jeeps!
Spot on!

Quote:
Considering the soft top side windows can be opened from outside, how can we ever sleep/shop/go to work in peace if we know that its that easy to access?
There will be an element of risk for sure and you will have to ensure that you do not park the vehicle out of sight for longer durations, especially in unsafe areas. In fact, if one is buying the Thar as a primary car, HT is the way to go without a second thought. I would have the same recommendation for Thars being driven by ladies .

Quote:
But I will surely be on the lookout on the Petrol MT reviews if I get hold of one.
From what I hear in the reviews, diesel is super refined and silent. If so, why would one go for petrol at all, unless there are concerns like the ones in NCR?
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 12:30   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I had an opportunity to test drive the new Thar in an off-road track designed by the local M&M dealer, Brajesh Automobiles.
Was this the AX variant? Seeing the steel rear spare wheel and those sweet looking alloys available as an accessory!
Old 6th October 2020, 12:33   #531
MCR
BHPian

You know a car is a hit when the news feed on hot threads looks as below.
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-news_feed.jpg

I saw a THAR on-road and it definitely looks awesome. Considering to buy one next year same time, after all the initial euphoria is done with.
Have decided against buying the Creta and have decided to hold my SUV Purchase until next year.
I will use THAR for highway drives and as an adventure car for some off roading fun.
MCR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 12:35   #532
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, but unforrunately how much ever I want, overlanding in India is a very limited affair and I can't afford a land rover. Most wranglers in US and Australia are heavily modded for overlanding and many are used as a 2 seater only. While I would have loved to own a Jeep Gladiator with a roof top tent and drive 1000kms to overland in the most beautiful places this country has, but I can't get one.

I have driven cross country on a celerio and also on my ecosoport twice from bangalore to Shimla or Kolkata. Will Thar be able to do that, I suppose yes. Will it have compromises, yes.

Honestly, I don't have much inputs to evaluate petrol for now. The petrol AT is being pegged to give 8 to 9kmpl, so I don't think Petrol MT will be more than 10 anyday with the enhanced power. Till now the reviews suggest diesels to be well powered, so the added FE is playing to it's benefits.

The petrol AT TC I believe will deliver even less - maybe as low as 6-7 kms in the city and 9-10 for the petrol MT. While the diesel has 20 horses less, you will barely feel it - there is ample power at the mercy of your right foot. It also gives you good range.

Moreover, the diesel engine is surprisingly refined and you wont feel the typical harshness that we usually associate with a diesel engine.
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 12:45   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Freak View Post
Niggles with New Mahindra Thar?
[/b]

Amongst them is Shutterdrives(https://www.instagram.com/shutterdrives/?hl=en) which I really prefer as they really do a thorough review of the vehicle and also throw light on Issues if any.
Sorry for the OT but,
It is actually BHPian Zahoor23’s channel, you can only expect this kind of attention to detail from a BHPian, Team-BHP all the way!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 6th October 2020 at 12:48.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:12   #534
BHPian

Thar crosses 9000 bookings !

Is this even real ? Source

From the article:
Quote:
Mahindra Thar was officially launched on October 2.
Mahindra says Thar is getting attention also from urban lifestyle-seekers who are primarily preferring the automatic transmission and convertible top options.

Mahindra Thar has bolted from the start line since it was officially launched on October 2 and has crossed 9,000 in bookings in just four days since. Thar 2020 has a starting price of ₹9.80 and now promises the same level of 4x4 capabilities but with striking visual updates on the outside and a massively upgraded cabin. Mahindra's hopes of targeting a larger audience base with the new Thar seems to have worked, clearly evident from the rush in bookings for the vehicle.

While bookings may not always translate into actual sales, the figure of 9,000 bookings for Thar in just about four days since launch is even stronger than the around 9,000 bookings Kia Sonet received in 12 days. That Thar 2020 has initially only been launched in 18 cities - in phase one, means that the achievement is even more astounding.
OT: Great news for people that buy Pre-worshipped !

Last edited by Shanksta : 6th October 2020 at 13:14.
Old 6th October 2020, 13:31   #535
Senior - BHPian

What i see as the Movements of Sentiments of this thread after 36 pages:

Euphoria -- > Great Pricing -- > First Time Jeepers -- > Does one really Need a Jeep-- > Second Thoughts on pricing -- > Abilities of the vehicle--> Waiting for Pre-Worshipped ones, assuming first timers will crave for comfort and get tired of this.

Sorry to be thinking differently, but why do i somehow have a feeling that M&M will find the first available opportunity to increase prices. ?
jkrishnakj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:32   #536
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I doubt if the AX even has a touchscreen, as far as I could see from the (very rare to come by) footages of the variant. M&M is clearly pushing buyers towards the LX, which in my opinion is slightly over-priced. In fact, I find it quite amusing that the so-called "Lifestyle" variant gets the electronic brake differential - which is crucial to come out of sticky off-road situations - whereas the "Adventure" variant does not! One would get a clear picture of the differences (other than what's on paper) across LX and AX only on physical inspection I guess.

From what I hear in the reviews, diesel is super refined and silent. If so, why would one go for petrol at all, unless there are concerns like the ones in NCR?
I think the LX variant has both MLD and BLD? Does the BLD kick-in after the MLD has done its work? Is the MLD on the AX both front and rear? Does Traction Control utilize the BLD to do its magic?

These are things that cannot be discovered by eyeballing inspection - only a technically trained sales staff would be prepared to answer this.

AFAIK (after watching many off-road videos) amongst all the Auto Majors only Toyota and perhaps Jeep and Subaru have TCS that find community wide acclaim from seasoned Off-roaders. It remains to be seen how well Mahindra's TCS is programmed and implemented.

PS: What are the concerns about diesel in NCR?

Last edited by Ragul : 6th October 2020 at 13:36.
Old 6th October 2020, 13:40   #537
BHPian

Quote:

In delhi as per the NGT ruling diesel cars have a shelf life of only 10 years whereas petrol cars have a life of 15 years hence a petrol thar will command more resale in the used market, also can be kept by the owner longer.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:41   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think its related to the 10 year life of diesel cars in NCR.
__

Hearing lots of positive things about the new Thar. I am interested in checking out the front seats as I am 6 feet tall and Hexa has been the only car I have driven with good/perfect under thigh support. Shall be taking out time to check out the LX variant today at a nearby showroom. Although not a potential customer owing to this being a 2 door (well the rear one doesnt matter with front facing seats).
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:42   #539
BHPian

Quote:

The main compromise will be the lack of rear seats since you would travel with luggage. For a two seater there is a great amount of space.
Don't consider the petrol if you wish to tour, the fuel bills would be horrendous. With a slab sided jeep body and 150bhp petrol expect no more that 5/6 kpl @120kmph.

If you really wish to travel long distances in comfort, try out the Hexa Xta, it takes all good things from the landrover family in a highly affordable package. Ideally a Storme automatic would be the indian overlander.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:44   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Simplicity can be subjective. The 1st-gen Thar is way more complex than my '97 Classic, as an example. I know MM550 purists who scoff at the 1st-gen Thar for being too complicated.
Okay, if you want to make simplicity..ah, er, complex, I am game. Homo Sapiens all share the same basic neurophysiology. The best we have even in science is inter-subjectivity across similarly configured members of the same species. Perhaps I did not make myself clear in my post. What I decry is that I am forced to buy what I deem as overly complex expensive vehicles just to satisfy BSVI. BSVI in this context is mainly a polution/fuel concern. Rather than pay 12k-25k for a BSVI petrol-based vehicle, I would be just as happy to buy something as simple as a WWII jeep, without cup holders, provided it run on a clean fuel such as hydrogen gas. My ideal WWII hydrogen jeep is a little simpler than your Classic even. And, frankly, I would have been happier buying a MM550 than my Thars if they were marketed new here. The term "simple" in automotive engineering is not problematic, is well understood by most.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 6th October 2020 at 13:45.
DirtyDan is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed