Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 23:07   #571
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
...The best case study the Thar can hope to emulate in the RE Bullet bike story. It needs to become to cars what the bullet became to bikes roughly between 2000 and 2010...
@Mods Please delete this post before someone from M&M reads this and start getting ideas

I just hope instead of sitting on this initial success they keep iterating though, else Thar's success might backfire big time. Bike is more of a personal vehicle and car tends to be shared in the family. 9000 Bookings mean there were will be 18,000 voices about medicore ride, brakes, and other issues about Thar. These voices will add up.

Before Mahindra decides to go on Enfield's trajectory in terms of price hike, it serve them better in the long run if the can iron out few basic things in Thar 2021: Brakes, Suspension, Dead Pedal, Grips in A Pillar, Slightly bigger touch screen (it'l be great), bigger glovebox (we can dream) and backseat floor so that feet can be placed better. With these small changes that wont cost much, lot of us will be willing to pay a 25-30k odd premium over the current vehicle.
vellatechie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:31   #572
Senior - BHPian

Why will they fix something that isn't broke! Thar is a blockbuster product and carries a certain mystique. This car is as personal as it gets, being mostly used as a two-seater. (My car is a five seater, but besides me nobody has used the car. I'm that particular. So it is personal for me. And there are many owners like this) I think Thar is already in the hallowed company of an Enfield, which is a legend (and without the 'Gang' theme). Gang of Dusters (as a movement) did not last long, as you know
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Bike is more of a personal vehicle and car tends to be shared in the family.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:41   #573
Senior - BHPian

Is there any video or discussions on how easy is it to remove the Doors ? I remember this was one key point that M&M said during the Unveil, but haven’t come across anyone trying to tell us how easy or hard is it to take down and put back the door. We have seen a lot around the way the convertible mechanism works and it’ll be good to see the door ones too.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:40   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
With so many variant options as well as so many lovely color options, I don't understand why they have carpet bombed showrooms predominantly with one color
I guess because the Thar looks most imposing in black, which is the case with any hulking SUV for that matter. The sense of awe created at first sight is crucial for a prospective customer to turn into an actual customer. I believe M&M wanted to capitalize on the same.

Quote:
I wish they had added just about 3" more to the length of the jeep to make the boot space just that touch more usable.
Please remember - the Thar is primarily an off-road vehicle, tweaked to be "relatively" more family-friendly, not the other way round. Any increase in length would result in increased rear overhang (and consequent decrease in departure angle) unless the wheelbase itself is increased, which has its own far-reaching repercussions.

Quote:
Your better bet is to travel with backpack style bags and keep them wherever you can in the car: second row floor, on second row seat etc.
I'd say that is a feature and not a bug To reiterate, the Thar is NOT a family tourer. It is, at best, suited for short distance drives with 4 on board (and minimal luggage) or medium distance drives with 2 on board (and decent amount of luggage). In fact, as I said in one of my earlier posts, if one intends to use it as a 2-seater, it is better to opt for the AX variant - side facing seats are always better when it comes to boot space.

Last edited by cool_dube : 7th October 2020 at 10:43.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:52   #575
BHPian

Quote:
It seems like all the showrooms are inundated with only the black color mostly. I went to the Pune showroom off Pune / B;lore highway. There were two black MT diesels in HT parked. With so many variant options as well as so many lovely color options, I don't understand why they have carpet bombed showrooms predominantly with one color, depriving customers from being able to see multiple color options in the flesh.

I recon it's by design.

Black looks super imposing and has a more macho appeal than say an aquamarine or copper.

Diesel because of the sheer range it offers given the high number of TDs expected.

Manual because it's a lot suited to abuse than an AT.

HT because that's what most of us will opt for eventually for all its practicalities as a daily use vehicle.

Mahindra possibly expects the LX Diesel MT HT 4S to be the most sought after variant.

I am still waiting to see a rocky beige LX in person.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th October 2020 at 12:14. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:58   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
9000 Bookings mean there were will be 18,000 voices about medicore ride, brakes, and other issues about Thar. These voices will add up.
It may add up but it won't matter.

Because those voices will be silenced with responses like,
  • THAR is for purists/enthusiasts.
  • THAR is for people who have 15L to buy a toy.
  • THAR is for people who can accept an Mahindra SUV for what it is. Which is to basically say that, don't expect things that you'll generally expect from a 15L vehicle otherwise.
  • Your expectations were unreal. It is what it is. Deal with it or sell it and go get a Creta/Seltos if you will.
kiku007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:07   #577
BHPian

To those who took a Test drive of HT Thar :

Guys, I have a small doubt, is the hard top removable? If so can it be removed and fixed back by us instead of dealer / MASS? I have this doubt because the speakers are mounted in the hard top itself and how hard is it to remove the wiring couplers / connectors and does it consume much time? I can see that the ST can be reclined to the boot like convertible sport cars, and it takes approximately 15-20 minutes to do that as per posts here, but I did not find any information on hard top here. Only GTO mentioned that it is difficult to store the HT when removed, but did anyone try removing it and how long did it take for the process of fixing and removing on your own?
Old 7th October 2020, 11:10   #578
BHPian

The Thar is primarily an off-roader with somewhat family friendly traits as rightly mentioned by many earlier.

Large families who can afford only one car, but one in the family loves the Thar as he is an enthusiastic off-roader!. That is a dilemma for him!.

There is one such in my circle. A Crysta or a Hexa is perfect for them, but our off-roading guy is head over heels in love with the new Thar . More than affordability they cannot purchase the Thar as a second car and dirty it every weekend due to lack of parking space and lack of interest in other family members in daredevilry activities.

So he is satisfying himself watching Youtube videos of the Thar and hoping one day he lays his hands on it .
Old 7th October 2020, 11:12   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
To those who took a Test drive of HT Thar :

Guys, I have a small doubt, is the hard top removable? If so can it be removed and fixed back by us instead of dealer / MASS? I have this doubt because the speakers are mounted in the hard top itself and how hard is it to remove the wiring couplers / connectors and does it consume much time? I can see that the ST can be reclined to the boot like convertible sport cars, and it takes approximately 15-20 minutes to do that as per posts here, but I did not find any information on hard top here. Only GTO mentioned that it is difficult to store the HT when removed, but did anyone try removing it and how long did it take for the process of fixing and removing on your own?

I don't think this is something you can do all by yourself nor should you try doing it.

It will require specific tools to get the job done. And then comes the problem of stowing it away like GTO mentioned.

The bigger problem is fixing it back again. You might not get the same fit and finish. It will be prone to gaps being left behind even after using generous amounts of sealants. Come monsoons you will realize that removing the HT was not a good idea after all.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:20   #580
Senior - BHPian

While Thar does look like good effort, just look at what our neighbors are getting.
The interiors look fab.

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th October 2020 at 11:22.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:21   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Mahindra possibly expects the LX Diesel MT HT 4S to be the most sought after variant.
But this is what happened
Quote:
In addition to the traditional lovers of this iconic brand, the All-New Thar has also appealed to a whole new set of urban lifestyle-seekers, who have shown significant interest in the Convertible Top and Automatic Transmission top end variants.
Source
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:22   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any increase in length would result in increased rear overhang (and consequent decrease in departure angle) unless the wheelbase itself is increased, which has its own far-reaching repercussions.
Not asking for a huge increase, per se. Just by a few inches (<10), would have been GREAT.
I am sure many would turn down the plans just because of this one single concern. Could have been worth doing that by whatever it takes.

Roof carrier? No signs of anyone exploring or talking about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
While Thar does look like good effort, just look at what our neighbors are getting.
The interiors look fab.
..and mouth watering boot space !!

Last edited by balenoed_ : 7th October 2020 at 11:36.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:24   #583
Senior - BHPian

What THAR should really have is an option / guide to removing the HT for days you need to convert this into an open top.

That would be brilliant.

I am going to find this option as I am lucky to have ample space as well as staff to do the required.

PS - I am promised delivery 1st week November ( Hopefully fingers crossed ! )
vkochar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:41   #584
BHPian

Reading all these replies is amusing me day by day.

There is one thing for sure, Thar has become the national crush.

Now what I can see is that Thar's current status is similar to that of a youngster entering his fresher year in college. This is how

1. The youngster has a image from school to carry with it. Thar 2020 has it's famous predecessors reputation to carry.
2. His school friends are happy and not happy at the same time because he looks and behaves differently. The 'jeep' school is happy as well as not happy for the Thar 2020 because it has grown softer if we daresay.
3. He is not accepted easily into the college because he is the new kid and not same as the existing college students. Thar 2020 is not being accepted by the 'SUV' college so easily because it is not like any other 'modern-SUV'.
4. His father is immensely proud and fully confident that the kid will make it big. Mr. Anand Mahindra has said to Mr. Minda in the Thar launch video that 'Thar will be at home' when Mr. Minda said he will take Thar to Leh Ladakh for first trip.

What I personally feel is that Thar 2020 should be viewed as the evolution of Thar CRDe only and nothing else. Thar CRDe was overpriced and was perceived to lacked basic civil mannerism (I don't believe the civil manners part, you only need to look as far as BHPian @navsjab's travelogues, overpriced part I do agree). Thar 2020 wants to become what Thar CRDe was not able to and for that it is I believe well equipped and for now correctly priced ex-showroom.

The real reason Thar is getting so much attention at the same time flak as well is I think it is not just carrying Mahindra brand on it's shoulders but also the Tata brand (since Tata decided to stop giving 4x4 in it's passenger cars).

What public really wants is the new Safari, The new Hexa, The new Boloro 4WD which were 4x4's with loads of practicality (Scorpio would have been here in this list too if it didn't bounce so much).

As luck would have it unless Jimny comes to India Thar will continue to be the only 4x4 south of 20 big ones in India and a good one at that.
There is a reason all variants of Thar 2020 have 4x4 as standard and I will go as far as to say that if you don't need/want that 4x4 lever then Thar will never really satisfy you, it's like you are buying an Apple to keep it in refrigerator forever. You will start regretting it some day.

I have read BHPian @DrANTO's review of his 2017 Gypsy King here (My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King) and I fully agree with his sentiments that you pay those big bucks for that lever which can take you to places you would not be able to go otherwise.

Both Thar CRDe and Gypsy were crude and required great love to live with. Thar 2020 is just their polished evolution.
darkLightning is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:43   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not asking for a huge increase, per se. Just by a few inches (<10), would have been GREAT.
The problem in doing that? It will offset the departure angle so badly that Thar will lose quite a bit of its off-road DNA, see the image below, and now imagine how much the 36-odd degrees will reduce to with a 10 inch increase (btw, 10 inches is a huge deal in terms of auto design!).
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201007_113451.jpg
I'm sure you'd have see this video, nevertheless - see from 1:10 minutes on why the departure angle (and of course the other angles) are so important.

If a comfortable jeep with boot space et al is the requirement, then there is Scorpio anyway - that too in a similar price point!
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks