Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 06:43   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The Thar '20 is an improvement over the previous generation in every way and makes good the character flaws that made it so hard to bring the previous gen home regardless of how much you loved it.
Not everybody thinks this way. As I get older I crave and cherish, more and more, simplicity. I am happy with my two Thars, 2013 and 2018. I didn't need an expensive upgrade. I could use a new fuel, though.

If we got off petroleum and moved to pure hydrogen, safer and much cleaner,
we wouldn't have to worry about BSVI and asphyxiating half of India. And Mahindra could go back to its roots and make me a hydrogen burning WWII jeep using the good old fashioned "KISS" method. Easy, clean and a lot safer than gasoline to handle.

K= keep
I = it
S = simple
S = stupid
DirtyDan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 08:11   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Ok I guess this thread started with the whole euphoria about Thar, transited to the amazing launch and then the rather acceptable prices.
=====
Now the only question is, Diesel Auto or Diesel Manual. May the romance begin. Best of luck to all.
Quite agree with you except the landrover part. For me (also for many customers) the landrover symbolises comfortable overlanding. Not offroading. This is a car you do 600/1000 kms a day in great comfort, across any terrain. You don't take it along 100 kms on a highway to purposely crawl on rocks as a weekend playtime. For overland touring in India the landrover fits the bill to the T.
Now regarding the jeep/Thar I am not sure if it can really tour, infact I feel it's a poor tourer. Even a mid sized sedan will tour better (on highways) than a Thar. May be that's why so many people are calling the Thar an impractical toy. Regarding offroading, I am sure the new Thar will excel (its purpose built for this), however how many owners would want to scratch their shiny paint, only time will tell.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th October 2020 at 14:58. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire post for short replies, affects readability. Thanks.
AirbusCapt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 08:16   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Now the only question is, Diesel Auto or Diesel Manual.
May I know what made you to rule out Petrol? Just trying to understand and consolidate the pros and cons of each variants.
Old 6th October 2020, 08:21   #514
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
What I would absolutely hate to see is every so called *purist* criticising new Thar first-time owners because they don't go offroading or drive within city limits.
I agree 100% . Not every Porsche 911 Turbo owner has to drive @ 250 kmph on the Buddh F1 track, and not every Thar owner has to go offroading. To each his own, is what I believe in. It's a free country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Rain stopped and almost became a very light drizzle when I pulled over near the Taj Heritage
This picture is so poetic, says a thousand words.

An enthusiast cruising around town in a special vehicle.

A Mom pointing, showing her kids something interesting in the sea.

The boys obediently paying attention.

The iconic Gateway of India in the background.

How beautiful Bombay is, early in the morning.

How a "different" kind of car can make you have a "different" kind of fun. This is so much more enriching than say...going to the damn mall!

My cousins. Ever seen such smiles in a Honda City? My Classic has given me 23 years of laughs, and I'm looking forward to at least a decade in the 2nd-gen Thar. Then, if Mahindra launches a kick-ass 3rd-gen, I'll buy that too. Open-Jeeper-For-Life:
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20200129-23.52.57.jpg

Quote:
What a day!
Offer to borrow my red Thar anytime you want remains open .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Not everybody thinks this way. As I get older I crave and cherish, more and more, simplicity.
Simplicity can be subjective. The 1st-gen Thar is way more complex than my '97 Classic, as an example. I know MM550 purists who scoff at the 1st-gen Thar for being too complicated. And the 2nd-gen Thar isn't really all that more complex than the 1st-gen. Sure, it's added a gizmo or two on the head-unit, and some creature comforts...but they (especially creature comforts) were absolutely necessary in the current times. I'd never have bought it if it were as basic as the 1st-gen, and neither would many BHPians, going by this thread.

End of the day, what matters is this car will introduce a whole lot more people to the amazing world of Jeeps!
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 08:38   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjv777 View Post
Opinions and suggestion required: Thar LX (D) AT or Jeep Compass 4X4 (D) Used?
I owned a Wrangler in US for several years when I lived there, got bitten for life. Moved to India 10 years ago, waited for the Thar, let it go, got a Bolero, modified for my liking, waited endlessly for several launches by several companies, incl Jimny. Wrangler was way out of reach, original Compass didn't tick off my boxes and put an advance down for a 4x4 Trailhawk. Waited for that launch and when it did, that didn't work for my requirements within that price. After keeping the deposit for over 2.5 years, I finally initiated a refund on Oct 2nd.

I kept looking for all kinds of boxy SUVs, incl XUV, Harrier, Gurkha, Fortuner, Endeavor etc. for so long, till Aug 15th.

If that tells you something, Thar and Wrangler are those vehicles once you own one, you want them for the rest of your life. There is no alternative.

Jeep Compass is great in its own way but it's not a Wrangler. If you're really a Thar guy, you wouldn't be really thinking about the Compass, no offense though.

It is a Jeep thing, one would understand.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th October 2020 at 15:00. Reason: 2 smilies per post please. Thanks.
bolbolerobol is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 08:52   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
I kept looking for all kinds of boxy SUVs, incl XUV, Harrier, Gurkha, Fortuner, Endeavor etc. for so long, till Aug 15th
No matter how far the designs have evolved over time, there's still an old school charm about boxy design. Pajero, Bolero, Scorpio, Gypsy, Thar, Jimny to name a few, timeless beauties they are. Beauty indeed lies in the eyes of the beholder though !
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:01   #517
Senior - BHPian

Very true. And for me, in the Thar, i love the way that the front wheel arches are almost rectangular and the rear ones are semi-circle. Its not something that you get to see in other cars.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:30   #518
BHPian

Live and let live. To each, their own.

That said, I believe I'm not far off if i think a few basics need to be straightened here.

1. This new gen vehicle named Thar is an SUV. A proper SUV because it has 4x4/4WD, ie with low ratio. A buyer of this vehicle will be entering an SUV life.

2. I didn't use the word "jeep" above because I believe this vehicle is not a jeep. A jeep needs to be a simple, nimble and compact vehicle. Does this SUV meet that? No.

3. Why not simple? It has IFS and multilink rear suspension for a start. Be prepared to shell out plenty if one bash it around the same way they do a jeep. But spot on for an SUV, big bulky and lots of cushy.

4. Why not nimble and compact? Dimensions are bloated as SUV requirements stipulate. It wont take the same narrow lanes as its jeep predecessor used to.

5. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this vehicle for what it holds. I'm in fact happy that a distant variation of the original jeep body style will live on for years to come. But sad that true jeep pattern is now dead except for Roxor.

6. For those hoping to be "jeepers" by getting this SUV, remember you're getting a Scorpio with a jeepish bodywork. A real jeep strays far, but that shouldn't discourage you from having your own satisfaction. To each, their own. Right?

7. Also, Jeep is a brand while "jeep" is a type of vehicle. Be it from GP or Eugene the jeep, that's just how it is. Mahindra used to make a jeep for Indian market called Thar DI/m2dicr. It now kinda lives on elsewhere as Roxor. Thar crde with its IFS is what I'd call a hybrid UV, but that would be the musings of a purist.

Buy this vehicle for what it is, and what it can do within its capabilities. Going all devil may care on it like one could easily do with a jeep will bring regrets and growing pains down the road.

Again, to each their own. And these are my own.
SandyX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:45   #519
BHPian

As of now in Indian car market, you have only 2 cars or SUVs which increases its charm as it grows old.

1) VW Polo
2) Mahindra Thar 2020

Hence for those who are looking at a very long ownership which will put a smile on your face all the time you see your garage, these are the 2 cars you need to keep for ever as long as it rolls!
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:45   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

And the Thar is a runaway success in terms of bookings! 9000 bookings in roughly 4 days
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-c0d016d876b841d5acc5dacdf0dcd0e2.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 10:24   #521
BHPian

Great review as always. Is it just me or does anyone else think that the front bumper and grille could use some aftermarket changes?
Old 6th October 2020, 10:27   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
What is wrong in seeing many Thars on the road? It would be greedy of us to think only few get to own such a beautiful jeep. As a person who have driven over 2 lakh kms in Bolero & old gen Thar combined, I can safely say that normal guy who drives a small hatch or a sedan can easily transform into a real jeeper with the kind of creature comforts this new gen Thar offers, and he will enjoy this transition. More over, thats exactly how M&M has positioned this new offering to the market.
I completely relate to this. I have been driving a humble i10 1.2 for the last 11 years (bought Feb 2009). The vehicle has done about 70K kms which is not much. The car is in pristine condition and it will easily go another ten years, if not more. Given this, I don't really need another car or an upgrade, especially in this volatile situation we are all in.

However, I feel I need this icon only and only because it is what it is. Any other vehicle, i wouldn't have bothered. I have been following the Thar since 2012 and have loved it since; but never had the courage to own one because of its bare bone nature and the price it demanded. The new Thar checks all those boxes and then some, boxes which did not even remotely apply to the previous gen Thar.

So these "issues" that members have highlighted here - really don't resonate with me, thanks to 11 years in a small hatch and its lack of features/comfort. Its a massive jump for me in all possible aspects and I am happy that I have made my mind up for it. This might be my passion for the Thar talking, but then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Quite agree with you except the landrover part. For me (also for many customers) the landrover symbolises comfortable overlanding. Not offroading. This is a car you do 600/1000 kms a day in great comfort, across any terrain. You don't take it along 100 kms on a highway to purposely crawl on rocks as a weekend playtime. For overland touring in India the landrover fits the bill to the T.
Now regarding the jeep/Thar I am not sure if it can really tour, infact I feel it's a poor tourer. Even a mid sized sedan will tour better (on highways) than a Thar. May be that's why so many people are calling the Thar an impractical toy. Regarding offroading, I am sure the new Thar will excel (its purpose built for this), however how many owners would want to scratch their shiny paint, only time will tell.

I managed to befriend the advisor at the showroom during my last few visits and coaxed him to allow me a slightly longer TD. He agreed as long as I paid for the fuel - I lapped up the proposition. I filled up 10 liters into the LX diesel manual and hit the highway late last evening to do a Pune-Lonavla-Pune run. Would have driven about 100 clicks in a relatively empty stretch on the Pune Mumbai Expressway flat out. I had planned this run so I ensured I gathered a couple of my mates (in all 4 male adults, minimum weight would be 65 and height 5'11'' - so the car was laden)

While this was not my first TD on the new Thar but a drive on the freeway was a new experience. The expressway surface is concrete hence there are gaps and undulations. Going over them at 70-80 speeds, the car did feel bouncy but its not something I would complain about.

The most interesting part was a banked curve near the Sinhgad Institute in Kusgaon (for those who are familiar with the Pune Mumbai Expressway). The curve was taken at a speed of 90 (in the middle lane) - and apart from a very slight roll - which can be attributed to the high CG - i did not feel the vehicle misbehave in any way. On the way back, my friend took the wheel and took on the same curve at 100 - and his feedback was the same. The vehicle felt planted, sure and it never required any line correction or throttle lift through the turn.

Moreover I think the mannerisms will further improve on tar tops with the bounce reducing considerably - and yes of course the laden weight of the vehicle will also play a part. With respect to the seating comfort and knee/leg/foot room - no one complained. To keep things unbiased - we changed seats amongst ourselves during the course of the drive.

While some may say that 100 odd kms is not touring but given the constraints, that's the best first-hand precedence I have to fall back on.
Slipstream11 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:09   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
No one really has practical use for Thar so you are not alone.
By that logic nobody has practical use for a 600 bhp Ferrari or for that matter an 80 BHP Hyundai i20. We can very well get from point A to B in the least powered (probably 50 bhp) car that is available in the market. We are driven by our desires. No?

I think all the people who are confused should just go test drive and call it a day. We make compromises in every car we buy. We have qualms about every single car that is there and that applies to the Thar as well. So book multiple TDs if you want, experience it yourself and go for it or don't.

I love reading and watching reviews but at the end of the day its my decision. If I finalize the Thar I will be a newbie Jeeper as well and I am very excited about it. Will the ride quality bother me? Maybe yes, but then there could be other things that will put a smile on my face. I will have to prioritize.

Now about the Soft Top

Considering the soft top side windows can be opened from outside, how can we ever sleep/shop/go to work in peace if we know that its that easy to access? Anyone has any pointers?
Pancham is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:15   #524
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar crosses 9,000 bookings

Mahindra has received over 9,000 bookings for the new Thar within just days of its launch.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-dsc02292.jpg

The Thar was launched on October 2, 2020. Mahindra claims to have received over 36,000 enquiries and more than 3.3 lakh people have visited the Thar website.

In the first phase, test drive and demo vehicles are only available in 18 cities. 100 more cities will be added by October 10 and by October 15, test drive vehicles will be available across India.

The new Thar comes in two trim levels - AX (Adventure Series) and LX (Lifestyle Series) and prices start at Rs. 9.80 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

The off-roader is available with two engine options. These include a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol that produces 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission. Four-wheel drive with a manual shift transfer case is standard across all variants.

The Thar gets an independent front suspension and a multi-link rear set-up. It has Shift-on-the-Fly 4x4, a mechanical locking differential, brake locking differential and electromechanical driveline disconnect.

Deliveries of the new Thar will commence on November 1, 2020.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:19   #525
Team-BHP Support

I had an opportunity to test drive the new Thar in an off-road track designed by the local M&M dealer, Brajesh Automobiles.

I got in the Thar late, post the mayhem died down and most, if not all first timers got their share of fun.

Thar was in 4L, had 3 ramps on one side, one big hump in the other side, 2 water pits and the articulation test ramp.

The Thar cleared the ramps in part to no throttle in 1st, for slush I slotted into 2nd where it momentarily got stuck, but with reverse, it quickly pulled itself out and I shifted it into 2nd. Without any / much inputs, it cleared whatever obstacles were designed.

I had driven the 1st gen Thar and it is just so different from it, forget off-road credentials for a moment, but, the refinement, the way doors close [much better than my S10 4WD] are things which you should experience. I am waiting to test it out on the open roads, to feel how it is and is it any different from other M&M as far as bobbing and pitching goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-120585105_2711072005818272_3378638758908585096_o.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks