Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 14:05   #466
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
To book or Not to book, the eternal question is bugging me to no end. I honestly do not have a practical use of the Thar , but the looks and the allure is so strong that I might end up booking one. I will drop into Ananth cars on the BGT road for a test drive shortly.
No one really has practical use for Thar so you are not alone. It is suitable for off-roading and possibly rural rugged travel, moreover only for 2 adults. So its like buying a 15 lakh toy for the desires of heart. But then you only live once and in that too young enough for few years so might as well as buy.

If you can wait then by next year there would be lots of used (new) Thars on market after new toy factor has worn off for people, at that time buy for reduced price. I also have no use for Thar but will pick one up in used condition next year.
heydj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 14:19   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
So its like buying a 15 lakh toy for the desires of heart.
The lady friend who had accompanied me to the showroom for checking out the car said the exact same thing.

'A toy car on steroids. You'll be buying it for the kid in you, not much else.'
vm27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 14:23   #468
BHPian

15 lakh for a Thar is too much in my opinion. You can get Seltos or Creta which are far more comfortable & loaded with features. But then not everyone buys a car with his mind! So price won't matter for them. I think Mahindra should have made it more spacious if not more comfortable.
Old 5th October 2020, 14:24   #469
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrindanny View Post
GTO confirmed that the cooling from the Automatic AC is more that enough. My query is that does it vary depending on whether it is Hardtop or Softtop.
It was just fine in the soft-top as well. In the soft-top / convertible, air leakage will be more & the compressor will work harder, but I never felt the need to go over blower level 1 in the convertible.

Quote:
No one really has practical use for Thar so you are not alone. So its like buying a 15 lakh toy for the desires of heart.
So well said! A 15-lakh rupee toy indeed. Boys remain boys, only the toys get bigger .
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 14:46   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
...I fear that in coming times we may see every tom, dick and harry driving a Thar on our roads - specially with the kind of "wanna be" culture prevalent in Delhi NCR territory. I am only concerned that the brand value of Thar may get diluted in the coming months as many of these would have absolute no connect with what the Thar represents...
What I would absolutely hate to see is every so called *purist* criticising new Thar first-time owners because they don't go offroading or drive within city limits. People shouldn't have to drive/use their personal cars a certain way to be not called "wanna be"

If people still have hate they should target Mahindra for making Thar so much easier to live with.

But PLEASE don't look down on a certain city or new car owners who only want to use the car a certain way. Its their own personal choice. Thank you.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2020 at 07:49. Reason: Please be civil, courteous & respectful, even in debate
vellatechie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:06   #471

Hi Guys,

The Sales Rep just sent me the Price Lists.

Please feel free to point out irregularities.

I am personally interested in the Diesel HT AT. All pointers to save some money on it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAR DIESEL PRICE LIST.pdf (198.3 KB, 525 views)
File Type: pdf THAR PETROL PRICE LIST.pdf (198.2 KB, 323 views)
vm27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:20   #472
BHPian

Quote:
No one really has practical use for Thar so you are not alone. It is suitable for off-roading and possibly rural rugged travel, moreover only for 2 adults. So its like buying a 15 lakh toy for the desires of heart. But then you only live once and in that too young enough for few years so might as well as buy.

If you can wait then by next year there would be lots of used (new) Thars on market after new toy factor has worn off for people, at that time buy for reduced price. I also have no use for Thar but will pick one up in used condition next year.
Even M&M know they are charging silly 💰 for this big boy toy, they will knock off 60k to 1Lac on discounts in the coming months and year
Old 5th October 2020, 15:52   #473
BHPian

While I wait for my TD in the coming days, I was struck with a dumb question. While a lot has been said about the paint quality of Thar being quite good and a good maintenance regime should keep it looking good, what about the hard top?
Being FRP it will fade off I guess with time and you won't be changing it ever so often as the canopy.

So can you maintain such a large FRP top to match the shiny paint in long run?
Old 5th October 2020, 15:54   #474
BHPian

Many wannabe new car owners put their lives and their families lives on the line by driving under-powered,unsafe tin buckets on puny wheels at triple digit speeds in the middle of the highway with no road sense or regard for fellow motorists. The purist rider in me wants to give them a dressing down. Am I judgmental or pontificating... You decide.

In the same vein, Thar in whichever avatar it has been launched so far is a no man's car. The "purists" will rather buy a proper 4x4 and pimp it up with rollcages, MLD, Winch, mud tyres et al and use it for their off roading purposes.
Practical estate owners like me will have a decent 4x4 which can weather the atrocious non roads inside jungles for farming purposes at a reasonable rate with spares being easily available and can be repaired anywhere.

Many wannabe Thar owners who let their emotions alone decide their purchase are definitely in for a rude shock. After the initial euphoria/ snob value settles, they are going to realise that they have paid a very high price and not just literally. People who have driven a sedan or a hatch will have their bodies put through so much stress by the body roll and the handling that they will sell it off or worse still, allow it to rot.

Mahindra has put so much effort in testing and marketing, but failed to enhance the affordability of the Thar. I know I'm going to get a lot of criticism, but IMO the Thar should be atleast 3-4 lakhs cheaper across all variants.

I have a Thar 700, limited edition and trust me when I say, unless you are a purist or in need of a proper offroading vehicle for your estate/farming purposes, you dont need it, and even then not at this price point.
Peace

Last edited by Eddy : 5th October 2020 at 16:43. Reason: Quoted post deleted and responses edited
Neil Roy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:56   #475
BHPian

Being an existing Thar owner (there is no shortage of head turns, macho looks etc., even in this one), the new Thar still looks fantastic and more functional etc., But, would I buy one immediately ? - NO. This time over, I am just not letting myself getting over excited as I may have to plonk another 10L to get the top end version to do justice by swapping my old Thar.

For my use case, I think my comfortable Amaze CVT for long runs and my Thar for fun and off-roading makes better sense instead of buying the new Thar and selling off my Thar, Amaze to compensate for finances. I do not think I can travel with my Adult kids at the back for 9 hours straight in the new Thar as I do with my Amaze without any hassles.

I will wait it out and see how it works out. I would also suggest all the TBHP friends who are buying the same as their primary vehicle, to give it as much thought as possible from all aspects before putting in your money as even this 2020 Thar is not a Car.

It is special, but as a 2nd or 3rd one if finances permit, without a doubt and kudos to M&M for bringing this one out.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:03   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No one really has practical use for Thar so you are not alone. It is suitable for off-roading and possibly rural rugged travel, moreover only for 2 adults. So its like buying a 15 lakh toy for the desires of heart.
This is disputable. An urban guy young or old who wants to visit ancestral property somewhere deep in rural areas but doesn't want to take his sedan has a great practical case for Thar.

An upmarket tour/safari operator wanting something better than Gypsy has a legit use case.

Someone working on farms only on weekends and otherwise dwelling in city has a great argument for such vehicle too.

I personally feel this is a great vehicle for elderly parents who drive themselves. Road rage is insane in my area. Minor accidents turn into literal fights and people are ever ready to get physical. If you are in Thar no one will cut you off in traffic. Bikers won't kiss your fenders. Cyclists won't smash mirrors. Car like this is a great insurance in itself against such cases. Let's face it, we are in a country where small puny cars easily get pushed off road by big guys on the road. Size and imposing looks can actually mean more safety.
If I'm purchasing a car for 2-3 people today, especially for old parents Thar will be a top contender. A Sonet or Venue at 12-13l or Thar - I'll vote for Thar any day and live with less gadgets.

On the similar lines, for large, joint families Thar would be a great option for ladies in the house for same reason mentioned above.

It might be a toy for some but not all. I'm sure there are even more practical reasons to own Thar but these are few were right on top of my mind.
amol4184 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:15   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
With the number of bookings various members are reporting from different showrooms across the country, I fear that in coming times we may see every tom, dick and harry driving a Thar on our roads - specially with the kind of "wanna be" culture prevalent in Delhi NCR territory. I am only concerned that the brand value of Thar may get diluted in the coming months as many of these would have absolute no connect with what the Thar represents and would be instead driving these on speeds and using them to bulldoze other vehicles on the roads. Just an observation!
Well, it may be a good news for those who love "pre-worshipped" deals (like me ). These are that 'spur of the moment' purchases I guess and you'll see a good bunch of those vehicles in the classifieds, if I go by the aam-admi reviews. Dont think Thar is something people can live with, once the novelty wears out. The lack of space and comfort will start bugging owners by the time they clock 10k kms is what I think. The creature comforts and other refinement parameters are most users accustomed to, that's where this will pinch them. More cars in the used market will mean reasonable prices too.
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:17   #478
BHPian

I looked at the Thar today - no TD, just look and ask questions that nobody else seems to have asked yet.

The new Thar's toolkit is contained in a plasticky bag of sorts and just placed on the floor behind the rear seats. There is no place to properly stow the toolkit, thereore it will keep moving around and rattling when the car is moving; more so when on bad roads.

At least the old Thar had a lockable box under the front passenger seat. Yes I understand the same is not possible in the new Thar because of the folding front seat; but hey, they could have tried some other way to secure the toolkit? Surely?

And the lack of a grip-handle on the front passenger A-pillar is sorely felt, especially when someone from the rear seat tries to get out of the car. The grip on the dashboard is inaccessible at that time due to the folded front seat, so only one hand can be used to hold the grip above the passenger seat and let the other arm be useless and swing out of the car like Tarzan. Young people may not find this an issue, but wives on the wrong side of 50 may - at least mine did.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:47   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I have a Thar 700, limited edition and trust me when I say, unless you are a purist or in need of a proper offroading vehicle for your estate/farming purposes, you don't need it, and even then not at this price point.
Peace
I am sure you know, Needs and Wants are different.

Nobody really needs a 16L 4x4 2 Seater with a below-average ride quality to go to a mall, but the majority wants to (at least after the TD).

The point that I am trying to make it Mahindra just made Thar lot more easier to live with for the majority of the people. Can we not start with name-calling even before the product has been delivered? If they decide to live with it great, if they don't then they'll sell it and move on.

Last thing I would want to see it people judging new that owners based on how many leh laddakh trips they have made

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Well, it may be a good news for those who love "pre-worshipped" deals (like me )
Considering the ridiculous used prices of previous Thar until last year, I doubt prices will go down much for the new used Thar.

Infact people buying in 2021 are much better buying next years model which should be slightly more niggle free and reliable.
vellatechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:18   #480
Senior - BHPian

Omar Abdullah, the ex-Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, took a test drive of the new Mahindra Thar, and called it an amazing vehicle. Congratulating the carmaker, Abdullah said he's eager to drive the SUV on snow & off-road into the mountains.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-smartselect_20201005171447_twitter.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201005_171423.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201005_171427.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201005_171429.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201005_171432.jpg

https://twitter.com/OmarAbdullah/sta...686358528?s=19

Last edited by Venkatesh : 5th October 2020 at 17:20.
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks