Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 09:19   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Please share your views.
My vote goes to the Rocky Beige. Please don't discard it till you've seen it in person, as it's a lovely colour, and would suit the Thar. The shades in the colour guide you've attached seems airbrushed. So, please do search Google images to get a more accurate idea of how it looks, as it was also offered in the Scorpio, Bolero and TUV300. Good luck!
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:23   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching the Thar Color Guide shared by my dealer. It has pretty good views of each color, but some colors look very different from what I would expect...

...The aquamarine is intriguing, the dealer confirmed that this is the same exact shade that one seems commonly in the XUV300 - to me this is more greenish than blueish and it may look a bit weird on a large SUV like the Thar...
Go for the aquamarine blue. It is a greenish blue shade, very popular on the Marazzo. The orange shade looks brown when dusty or dirty and looks drab and old in such conditions. Also the scratches will stand out on the orange/copper shade, the best shade to hide minor scratches is the galaxy gray. Remember, on a slab sided large car like the Thar, it is easy to pickup scratches.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th October 2020 at 12:06. Reason: Trimmed quotes.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:45   #633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So that leaves the Mystic Copper.
If it helps - I feel Mystic Copper looks best on the Thar off-road. Feels like it belongs in the landscape.

Pic Source - Manish Sarser

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-manishsarser2020_10_09_09_371.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-manishsarser2020_10_09_09_37.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th October 2020 at 09:47.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 10:15   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The aquamarine is intriguing, the dealer confirmed that this is the same exact shade that one seems commonly in the XUV300
The aquamarine shade has the following two issues:

(1) The brochure representation is pretty far from the actual colour. The brochure pegs the colour to be a couple of shades darker and much richer (more like a British racing green, like the one found on the Mini Cooper) than it actually is . I know since I gave this colour a very close look when I was considering the XUV300 a year back.

(2)However, if this colour is not maintained really well, it tends to fade and look grey green and very muted within a few months. In other words, it does not look that great after the initial few months of the new paint lustre, at least to my eyes, a few months down the line. If you are going for that aged green look, then this colour might be for you.

I also agree with you - blue is my favourite colour, and the Thar would have looked good in a dark royal blue/ navy blue.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 9th October 2020 at 10:18.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:09   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Due to all these reasons, mystic Copper is the color I have chosen on my booking.

However, feeling a bit nervous if it will come out looking good in the end or will it be too garish? How well will it age - will it still stay fresh say after 5-10 years? I wish Mahindra had launched a proper dark blue type shade, would have been my ideal pick. Please share your views.
Mystic Copper was surprisingly good on the car in person. Colours in person sure are different from the videos

What is the wait time being quoted for the Thar. I could not book the ride as I am hospitalised and looks like I may have a long wait
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:13   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

What is the wait time being quoted for the Thar. I could not book the ride as I am hospitalised and looks like I may have a long wait
I booked my petrol A/t on tuesday and he has given me a tentaive date of last week november and first week december in delhi.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:43   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I had a lackluster experience at Sireesh Auto, Silk Board, Bangalore today. The sales executive with whom I was in touch with, informed that TD vehicle was available and asked me to come over. But when a friend and I reached the showroom we got to know that there was a token system. Even though our guy had already procured tokens, there were some 20 odd people in the queue ahead of us. That meant a wait of at least two hours. And unlike how some other members had mentioned, there was no sanitization of the vehicle between TDs. So we decided it was not worthwhile to wait and returned without the TD.
Now that makes me nervous to take the TD on sunday at Sireesh Auto Silk Board. Whatever the queue, dealers should ensure basic sanitization anyways.
I might visit the showroom to look at the vehicle, so will evaluate accordingly.

Any idea if Ananth Mahindra showroom is fairing someway better?
Old 9th October 2020, 11:54   #638
Senior - BHPian

When i was at the BG Road Ananth showroom, there was a small Q. They had provisions for sanitising the cars, but unfortunately, the patience of the people in the line was next to zero. Even before the previous TD person gets down, they want to jump into the car. The security and a couple others did try to get them off to sanitise/wipe clean the steering and handles, but to no avail. Ananth however was providing the disposable plastic gloves to everyone.

When Anant got it home, i spent the first 10 minutes doing some basic sanitisation work before doing a relaxed sit down and then the drive.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:12   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
Thank you for really valuable information I've been looking for. I am thinking about getting an external cage installed with a roof carrier such as yours, on the new Thar once I get it.

Could you please share closeup pictures of the cage/ mounting details and roof carrier along with any specific overland conversion and accessories you've used?

I'm in Hyderabad and would like to know where I can get these installed.

Also, an approximate cost to get them done?
I appreciate your help!!

Thank you!
As much as I share your excitement for such a setup, I can't really help with your questions since the Thar was a rental from a travel company based in Guwahati.

From what I remember, the external cage was essentially mounted to existing bolt on points that were exposed on the last gen Thar. I do not see any such accessible mounting points on the new Thar, so we will just have to wait and see what the aftermarket comes up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Roof rack with an external frame is doable for sure but I don't know if it has any impact on warranty. I might not be looking for a roof top tent, but ability to put a Awning might be useful and some extra luggage carrying capacity.

I would love to have a low profile roof rack like the one shown in this video. It fits to the internal roll cage so no need for the external roll bars. Trail recon has another DIY video showing how he set it up on his wrangler.
From the video it seems pretty clear that a frame needs to be setup to support any weight on the roof, be it an internal frame or an external cage.

I do not expect there to be any professional setups similar to the Wranglers to be made for the Thar. The necessary epxertise and budgets just do not fit in with the Indian market for leisure vehicles.

Also, anything involving drilling holes in the fibre hard top is just asking for trouble during the Indian monsoons.
ask99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:32   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please share your views.
The galaxy grey and aquamarine colour shown in the colour sheet and what you see on the road has a massive difference!

This is the Rocky beige colour in the Bolero and old Thar respectively.

I am sure it will look better on the New Thar!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-24452bd661cd4ce98fe69e48e0e7a88c.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-28b31041d498460b956cb23f2e12efce.jpeg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 9th October 2020 at 12:36.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:42   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I booked my petrol A/t on tuesday and he has given me a tentaive date of last week november and first week december in delhi.
Have you been able to test drive the Petrol AT? Any opinions thereof?
Old 9th October 2020, 13:02   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
My understanding is that an external frame/roll cage would be necessary to mount any kind of load bearing accessories to the roof of the Thar. That is considering the frame and bodyshell are structurally similar for the new and old Thar.
Yes, similar to your thar. The setup needs to come down to connect with rock sliders which would be connected to Chassis for strengthening.
Old 9th October 2020, 13:34   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Have you been able to test drive the Petrol AT? Any opinions thereof?
No sir the petrol thar is not available for td at any dealer in ncr, should be available for td after the 15 of oct tentatively thats what the sales rep told me.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 13:44   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching the Thar Color Guide shared by my dealer. It has pretty good views of each color, but some colors look very different from what I would expect.
For colour comparison, I found this video to be very helpful. Galaxy Grey is my choice btw.

Pancham is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:05   #645
BHPian

I have seen the red Thar in person, it looks great in pics, but not so in real. I expected it be of the same red as we get in Polo and Ecosport (Flash Red), however in real, its much darker and dull. I feel the VW red is the perfect red for vehicles and any other red is boring and so dull. I will opt for a black any day on a Thar. Black goes well with its boxy designs, rugged look and "Underworldish ' feel to this 4x4.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks