Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 10:45   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

This vehicle has all of us gasping with its sheer personality. Gypsy used to do that to me (Not Jimny, with which I did spend some time). With the Thar I'd pick the base model and keep it strictly two seater. Its utilitarian and all those gizmos and luxury just wont suit. I'll check it out once the crowds thin out
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 11:28   #662
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
We all already read about the electrical issues, the other issue is the brakes that I mentioned in my earlier post. I 100% trust GTO’s review and he said the brakes were fine and another BHP’ian also said they were fine. However, 5 of my friends test drove the Thar and each and every one complained about the brakes. The only conclusion I can come up with is there might be a quality problem with the brakes. Maybe the one we drove here in Vizag has faulty brakes.
Great post, man .

After reading BHPian complaints, I specifically paid attention to the brakes of the 2nd Thar we got (Diesel AT Convertible). No issues, they worked okay. The single complaint Aditya & me have is that the pedal feels spongy, but in terms of stopping power, we didn't face any issues.

Or maybe your friends are complaining about the spongy pedal?
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 12:08   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
What is this snow chain provison that only AX has but LX doesn’t? I have asked this question to 3 different sales advisors but none seem to know
Steel vs Alloy, Not a big deal most people prefer small rim steel with big meaty tires "Max rubber wall"
ajaiD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:00   #664
Senior - BHPian

I was checking the online booking website for Thar and you only have option of 2 colors for AX, AX-STD and AX-O: Red and Black.
Ok what? Give me Rocky Beige on AX~! o_O
Old 10th October 2020, 14:30   #665
Senior - BHPian

So did a TD of the Thar yesterday

IT was a diesel Manual HT

First up let me get this out of the way- IMHO the new Thar is overhyped. I too got caught up in the hype and went to the showroom with my chequebook. Also, i realise the Thar cannot be a primary car, so I didn't evaluate it on that parameter at all.

after waiting an hour for the TD, when i got into the driver's seat, the first thing that struck me was how cramped the cockpit is! the footwell is really cramped, no dead pedal, and the pedals are really close to each other. my boots were constantly fouling with the brakes everytime i pressed the clutch.

Try as I may, I couldn't get a comfy driving position. I am 5'11" and reasonably well built and the seats, while supportive, did not let me get comfortable.

On with the drive, and what really impressed me was the mhawk. Now, I have recently sold off my XUV 500 which i had for about 70K kms, so I am very familiar with the mHawk motor. But the tuning of the motor in the Thar is superb, and the gear ratios are very well sorted. The Thar took off smartly, the engine was refined and punchy. Then we hit the first speed breaker- and the Thar's biggest Achilles heel came to the fore- its ride- the ride is bouncy and unsorted (a typical Mahindra trait) on anything but perfect roads. In the Thar, I can put this down to the suspension being tuned for off roading, but given that most thars will hardly see any proper off roading trails, M&M may want to relook at this.

At speeds above 100 KPH, the Thar feels distinctly uncomfortable, the wind noise is high to the point of being in tolerable for any period of time. I tested the brakes at 100 kph and the brake pedal felt spongy, the ABS was quite aggressive but the Thar stopped well in a straight line.

Then comes the body roll- while a BoF top heavy SUV is expected to have some roll, in the Thar, this was worse than what I remember of my earlier Safari Dicor- and this is saying something! I would be very apprehensive of taking the Thar on a highway blast, lest I have to do some sudden maneouvre.

Now the interiors- VASTLY improved from the earlier Thar, BUT for a vehicle costing 16 lakhs, they just dont pass muster. Lot of rough edges especially lower down the dashboard. The floor carpeting was very very low rent, attention to detail was sorely lacking. For example, the cladding on the roll cage needs a serious re look. there were exposed screw heads around the rear windows, the carpet cladding was already peeling off and the tool kit was just thrown into the small boot- no recesses to house it, meaning it takes away already scant boot space and will create a right royal racket on bad roads.

All in all, the Thar just didnt seem like a convincing proposition to me, and I have decided not to get one right now. Lets see if there are significant improvements a year down the line.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 10th October 2020 at 14:35.
himanshugoswami is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:25   #666
BHPian

Quote:
So that leaves the Mystic Copper. It looks pretty posh and premium on the Thar.
Really loved the way you zeroed down onto this colour. I have been candidly eyeing Thar since 2015, but could never make the jump. Have been following all the hype & valued discussions in this thread. Even though presently sailing onboard a ship, across Atlantic, couldn't hold myself from making the booking. Hoping prices would be better in Chandigarh as compared to Shimla, got the price list from Harbir Automobile Chandigarh. Next day, I received the quote from Snow-view Automobiles Shimla as well. There seems to be a drastic variation in prices. I must say for a change and my good luck, Shimla price list seems more favourable.

Haven't been able to see the colour in person and making a choice sitting out at sea was a tough ordeal. This is where the valued inputs from various parts of the country, on this forum made a big difference. From the colours to the initial niggles, from compromises to capabilities, from pre-launch to post booking, it's all in here.

Have booked my first car = Thar. in Mystic Copper colour Lx Diesel HT AT. I made the booking today on what's app, and the booking figures have crossed century mark, in 7 days. Thats a big number for a small town (unless SA inflated it), but then it's a hill state and probably that's why a solid demand for a proper 4x4. Expected delivery has been stated as mid December.

As other fellow Bhpians have asked, I am still awaiting for a sincere explanation of the missing snow chain feature on LX model, considering this is a must, for winter months.

Glad to say, I am not from Bangalore, you guys are true Thar fan boys. Just attaching the price list for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-photo20201008011607.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf CamScanner 10-08-2020 10.10.16.pdf (309.7 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by SDP : 12th October 2020 at 13:36. Reason: Fixed broken quote
Stacko is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 21:52   #667
BHPian

So 2 developments on my Thar dream.

1. Booked my Diesel Thar HT AT online.. booking done

2. M&M customer care called (now 3 times). They for some reason have 2 bookings in my name when I paid for only one. (I don't mind getting the other one for free). Some technical glitch, I suppose.
But one thing is for sure, their customer care is working extra time due to the flurry of bookings and they don't seem to have anticipated this.

Saga of TD from Sireesh auto continues to prolong. I should have booked through Ananth I feel now. Everyone seems confused at Sireesh Auto. Let's see, I am supposed to get the TD call tomorrow.

Haven't received any delivery timeline from dealer though. I am ok even if goes to January, but earlier the better.
justwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 10:20   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Have booked my first car = Thar. in Mystic Copper colour Lx Diesel HT AT.
Glad to say, I am not from Bangalore, you guys are true Thar fan boys. Just attaching the price list for reference.
Congratulations on your booking! I think you will be very happy with the colour choice.

Green with envy at your road taxes! Even in Chennai road tax is over 2 lakhs for this model and you are paying 55K! (4%!) You get to live in a cool scenic place, drive along picturesque mountain roads, encounter the same potholes as those in Bangalore and pay 2.2 lakhs less in road tax on the top end Thar! With remote working becomes norm, I think quite a lot of people will move to such places for all these reasons.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th October 2020 at 10:21.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 10:35   #669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
So did a TD of the Thar yesterday

First up let me get this out of the way- IMHO the new Thar is overhyped. I too got caught up in the hype and went to the showroom with my chequebook. Also, i realise the Thar cannot be a primary car, so I didn't evaluate it on that parameter at all.
You evaluated the Thar for -
1. Driver seating comfort
2. Ride quality
3. >100kmph traits
4. Body roll
5. Material quality.

Sounds to me like a wrong choice to start with! The hype on the Thar is because the above factors have become acceptable over the atrocious earlier version, while remaining true to it's original abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
As other fellow Bhpians have asked, I am still awaiting for a sincere explanation of the missing snow chain feature on LX model, considering this is a must, for winter months.
Snow chain should be possible with the alloy wheels on LX as well IMHO (though I'm not practically experienced on this! ) Its specifically mentioned on the AX because the holes facilitate easy installation of snow chains. Like so -

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-310520131880-custom.jpg

Pic Source and also further reading - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...ins-india.html (How to get Snow Chains in India)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th October 2020 at 10:59. Reason: Added additional quote
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 11:01   #670
BHPian

Strange! Very Strange!.

My mother who is normally disinterested in cars and is happy with her Elantra right now and just out of Covid(both of us) watched a Thar review by chance in one of those business channels. She comes up to me and says-

"Lets Book a Thar! It seems unique and something different from out current and previous sedans!".

After unsuccessfully calming her, I remind her of other large financial & social commitments on our head and advice her to wait at least for a year till Mahindra irons out the initial gremlins(wish there are none this time).

My Father, who resides in Ghana calls me the same day- "In News I saw a famous politician driving some new great looking Jeep- Thar. Let's book it!"
and the same cycle of mine killing their dreams continues My parents had no discussion of Thar prior to father's call to me!

My parents are in mid to late 50s, we all work in different cities . Also my parents have never driven an SUV before, not even Crossovers!
Our current 7-year-old Elantra serves us well and there is an impending marriage in our home in Dec!! With so many immediate commitments yet this THAR caught my parent's imagination who are always extremely sensible in financial decisions(all decisions actually)!

I am astonished by the pull of this THAR. There comes a car, once in decades which catches the fancy of the whole public irrespective of their age, needs, etc.- Thar is "that car". It arouses - "WANT"
AMG1 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 11:56   #671
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Driver seating comfort
It's pretty good, apart from the narrow footwell which isn't a problem in the AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Strange! Very Strange!.

My mother who is normally disinterested in cars and is happy with her Elantra right now and just out of Covid(both of us) watched a Thar review by chance in one of those business channels. She comes up to me and says-

"Lets Book a Thar! It seems unique and something different from out current and previous sedans!".
Same, same. My entire family (including my sister) wants me to buy the Thar NOW, today, immediately, ASAP. They don't get the problem with v1 Mahindras & Tatas, and why it's better to wait it out for v2.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 12:05   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Strange! Very Strange!.

My parents are in mid to late 50s, we all work in different cities . Also my parents have never driven an SUV before, not even Crossovers!
LOL. Your parents are giving beta testing for Mahindras a whole new meaning. Please oblige their wish.
Axe77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 12:10   #673
BHPian

Yet to have a close encounter with the beast, hopefully next week when the crowd thins down, the SA will inform me.
Attaching the Kanpur prices.
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img20201011wa0004.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:19   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a chance to visit Randhawa Motors Mahindra, Vikhroli in the morning today, they had created a separate area just for the Thar, no crowd at all and the Thar was all for me.

As witnessed by everyone else who have visited the other showrooms it was a Diesel Manual Hardtop in Black, I asked the SA why is there only Black Thar for showcase all over India to which he replied Mahindra wants to showcase its huge appearance which is accentuated in the black colour.

The car is massive, same width but higher than my Fortuner. So getting in was not a task since I have got used to the Fortuner's ride height but the absence of grab handles on the A pillar are a glaring omission on the Thar. Also the side foot board is not as solid (it flexes if too much weight is put on them) as the one on my Fortuner. Once inside the doors close with a solid thud almost same as my EcoSport, definitely quality is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous gen Thar. Everything right from the buttons to the door handles is built well. The footwell is really cramped, the automatic's footwell will definitely be much better.

From the driver's seat the view out was excellent, could see the edges of the bonnet and felt like sitting half a step even above my Fortuner. Seats were really comfortable and were of good quality.

Getting in the rear seats is a task in itself, this is what makes the Thar a bit of a deal-breaker for me. Absolutely no space to go in, for people with small kids it is fine but for even a person like me who is 19 and slightly tough-built it was difficult. Even my father thought this was the only deal breaker in the otherwise good package. Since only my father and I had gone to see the car I showed pictures of the car to my mother and she said at the first instance that getting in would be very difficult.

Rear spare wheel attached to the door looks much more massive in person than in pictures! 255/65/R18s looked beefier than my Fortuner's 265/65/R17s even-though in no way is the Fortuner's tyre small, must be I may have got used to the Fortuner's body-to-tyre ratio hence the Thar's looked more massive.

Boot is small, they had kept one small strolley in the boot (same as the one that fits in plane cabin compartments) and it was a tight fit. Boot opens in two steps; first the spare wheel door and next the glass. The glass was solidly built and had heft to it.

The SA was a delight, no-nonsense person providing information to the point and answered almost all questions correctly even though I knew about it from before, courtesy Team-BHP! If Mahindra can get such SAs in all of their showrooms then they will definitely get the required footfall for other cars as well.

They had a test-drive Thar which was the Diesel Automatic hardtop but it was taken by some other SA for a joyride when there was no customer in the showroom! So can't comment on the ride quality and bounciness but one thing I can say is how bad can it be compared to my Fortuner, I don't think much, considering the first-gen Fortuner's ride quality in itself is so bad. The SA promised he will send the car over for a test-drive anytime I want and I believe he will because the SA was really a good-natured one.

My opinion is this was and will remain an adventure car best for two people with their luggage. I know others have liked it a lot and many BHPians have booked one already but the rear seat was a deal-breaker for me. Will have to check out the convertible top because that was what I wanted now eagerly waiting for the 5-door Thar, that would definitely be on the top of my list!

Just while I was leaving the showroom a customer came in the old Thar with his family and without even seeing the car properly booked it! That's the pull of the new Thar!

Now let the pictures do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5042.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5043.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5044.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5045.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5047.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5048.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5049.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5050.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5052.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5053.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5054.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img5055.jpg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th October 2020 at 13:36.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:49   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
LOL. Your parents are giving beta testing for Mahindras a whole new meaning. Please oblige their wish.
If gremlins decide to show up, both the Thar and myself will be kicked out! So, I am resisting the temptation for now. My unsuspecting parents are oblivious to Desi Manufacturer's Beta Testing Methods

Decades of manufacturing cars yet more often than not our Desi car makers are guilty of producing niggles infected V1 versions of their new cars! Clearly reflects the 'Chalta Hai Attitude'!
AMG1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks