Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 16:55   #721
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Has any dealer in Delhi Ncr given you a specific date by when they will receive a petrol A/T td vehicle? Koncept has told me that they will only receive the Petrol Manual for Td and that also they are not aware by when!
Koncept Gurgaon said they are expecting the petrol (auto) test drive car by end of the month or max by 1st week of Nov. Will keep the group updated as soon as I hear something more on this from the dealer.
Old 13th October 2020, 16:57   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Has anyone on TBHP (or does anyone on TBHP know of - or heard from someone who has) test-driven any of the AX models?

Everyone and his brother seems to have only driven the LX in various trims, and everyone has an opinion about the suspension.

The reason I ask this is, in the video interview from Autocar featuring the Mahindra senior folks (Goenka? and that South-Indian guy - Velu?) they specifically mentioned that the AX had a differently (stiffer?) tuned suspension compared to the LX.

I am amazed that there has been not even a single mention of the AX anywhere - even from TBHP - from a test-drive perspective.

Even GTO who seems to have the good fortune of having multiple trims at home for long-term reviews does not seem to mention the AX - or did he talk about it and I missed it?

Cheers
I'm also very curious, no reviews on any AX variant, just walk around videos on YouTube.

One TBHPIAN did drive an AX (solely guessing by the white wheels)on the dealership slush track created by them, this is some pages earlier.

Hope someone can help.
Old 13th October 2020, 17:15   #723
BHPian

Had a look at this car last week when I was going out. I must say that I'm impressed with its looks and found the clutch is lighter when I pressed it.

But, however, I didn't get the TD that day. Even, I showed the Thar to my dad, who is a die-hard fan of Thar, in pictures and he was quite impressed with it and he was like, will book a Thar soon by replacing any of our cars or as a lifestyle car.

The on-road price here in Hyderabad is:

LX (D) MT (Convertible) - Rs. 15.9L
LX (D) MT (Hardtop) - Rs. 16L

Note from Support: Spacing, errors & typos fixed. Please run a spell-check before posting.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th October 2020 at 04:23. Reason: Post fixed. See note.
Old 13th October 2020, 19:24   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozoniac View Post
Koncept Gurgaon said they are expecting the petrol (auto) test drive car by end of the month or max by 1st week of Nov. Will keep the group updated as soon as I hear something more on this from the dealer.
I am getting the delivery of my Petrol A/T around the same time. People can TD my Thar if Koncept still doesn't get one by then

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th October 2020 at 23:35. Reason: Grammar
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 21:44   #725
BHPian

NBS International Andheri dealership in Mumbai received the LX Diesel Auto today and co-incidentally I got the first test drive. I had decided to postpone the TD for a few weeks due to Covid but after all the discussion and everyone's opinions about the suspension and ride and handling (what else is there really!) I just had to test it myself asap.

I've had a Beetle and a Toyota for the last 5 years and always sedans before that, so the high seating et al did feel a bit different, though not uncomfortable.

Not to bore everyone with repetitions of already discussed points, I would just add these two points...

1. The ride does seem shaky as you start driving it (you feel like a bobbin head toy, constantly moving and shaking). However the good part is that you get used to it very quickly. And soon it stops bothering you too much. Also it was definitely not as much as I was expecting. I know these are hugely personal variables, but both my wife and me felt the exact same way about the ride. This was the only thing I had been worried about and so it was a bit of a relief that it wasn't that bad.

2. This was the first time I have driven a diesel, and I always had an opinion about how it would be. This one was very different from what I had envisaged. It was smooth, quiet and refined. Great overall. Could have done with a bit extra power, I felt..so maybe the petrol would be perfect then.

All else is fine and completely livable with, considering the amazing shape and road presence of the Thar.

I always had a hierarchy in mind when it came to cars (German, Japanese, Korean, Indian). Have never gone beyond Japanese.

Its extremely possible that the Indian Thar may replace my much loved German Beetle which I sold a few months ago!
Taruns_Hah is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 23:50   #726
BHPian

Apologies if I missed it, but could any one figure out the PCD for the new Thar ? Also if there are any 12V Power Supply at the rear in-case someone wants to carry a portable fridge for camping purpose for them beverages ?

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 13th October 2020 at 23:54.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:33   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Also if there are any 12V Power Supply at the rear in-case someone wants to carry a portable fridge for camping purpose for them beverages ?
Not that I have seen, but I have been following this thread since inception. There's not a single post suggesting that, even though I do admit, it's a glaring omission.. One 12V socket, in the boot, would have had multiple usages & given Thar some modern flexibility. Knowing the eagle eye Bhpians have, I am sure it wouldn't have gone unnoticed.
Stacko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:01   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Was it the Camping Co. Travel agency that provided you that vehicle.
Yes it was.

Back to the Thar:

Visited the nearby Mahindra showroom for a quick look a couple days back. They are not providing extensive test drives yet, so I asked the SA to get in touch once they start more leisurely test drives as I am in no rush. Interestingly their test drive vehicle was a Black AX 6 seater variant!

On to the showroom Thar experience:

- Driver seat has an extensive range of adjustments for height. It can also be pushed far enough back to make pressing the clutch all the way a bit of a stretch for my 6'1" frame. I don't foresee anyone having trouble finding a comfortable driving position.

- ORVMs are internally adjustable. Tall but not too wide, will have to check how that effects drivability during the test drive. I suspect a slightly wider mirror would have definitely been useful. Also, they aren't electrically foldable, a feature I have used quite a bit on my XUV500 while squeezing past stopped vehicles in traffic.

- The infotainment system seemed responsive, no noticable lag or signs of cheapness. The wider frame does seem to be asking for a larger screen though.

- Sound quality was average. Extensive options for equaliser settings are available to tune it to your taste, but I foresee an upgrade in speakers for anyone serious about the sound quality. Another oddity due to the location of the speakers is that when the fader is set to a central position, the front mounted speakers are completely drowned out. You have to move the fader significantly towards the front to get a balanced sound stage.

- Overall fit and finish seemed decent, but a few rough edges can be spotted. One such rough edge was on the rear glass panel lower beading, where notches had been cut/scraped out at the place where the glass meets the vertical inner beading on both sides.

- A couple plastic rivets holding down the floor matting have gone missing. I foresee this being a common occurance in daily use. The mat material as already noted is lacking grip, easy to clean but could be a hassle when passengers are getting in and out. A set of rubber mats are a must buy accessory.

- Checked the mounting points for the hard top and I would speculate that load bearing carriers could be mounted over the mounting points on the hard top. The rear mounting point is on the roll cage, so any roof rack mounted correctly would put load directly onto the roll cage and body mount points of the A and B pillar below. The key issue will be waterproofing if mounting 'through' the hard top.

- As other members have speculated, the front portion of the hard top seems to be easily removable. I could see it's lined with rubber beading similar to the door seals, so it might not even be a case of needing silicon sealant or the likes. Obviously this is something that we will only klnow once some brave chap decides to take it off and get a closer look at the mechanism.

- Trunk space is non existant. The bigger negative is the folding seats which create a very awkward boot area even when the seatbacks are dropped. Also, the seatback had a hollow feel (the fabric backing could be pressed into a ccouple inches), so even that is not a flat surface. Basically the seat back frame and then hollows in between. One workaround I had been thinking of would be to remove one half of the rear seats entirely, but using a single bench for the entire width has put paid to that plan.

- Cranked the diesel engine and it seemed quite refined considering it was inside the showroom with the doors open. With the prices the way they are, and the similar drivability and power ratings of both the petrol and diesel engine, I think it's going to be a difficult task to decide on your choice of fuel. It might just boil down to the reported fuel efficiencies and the the sub-zero abilities of petrol (thinking mountain adventures in snow season).

- Also, I must mention the passenger seat sliding mechanism. It was very easy to operate, even while I sat in the driver's seat. Lift up the latch on the shoulder of the seat and it simultaneously folds and springs forward to make room for rear passengers. Pleasanlty suprised, and quite impressed by the mechanism.

Some misses on the Thar:

- Lack of "clever" features. While it is now loaded with what get labelled comfort & convenience features, I feel Mahindra could have added a few simple touches to make it seem like they were thinking beyond just the package being sold as it is.
- Lack of rear 12v socket has already been pointed out.
- Missing external mounting points for accesories is a glaring miss on a vehicle that will be extensively modded by the buyers. Selling winches and roof top tents is a good thing, but I see no mention of front bumpers or roof load carriers on which these accessories are supposed to be mounted. A roof mount system should have been an obvious design element for them to consider, seeing the absolute lack of storage space.
- Interior storage spaces. There are essentially none. A joke of a glovebox, a couple of bottle holders in the doors and that's about it. They definitely could and should have given more thought to these elements. This is even more disappointing because the XUV500 is the total opposite and shows Mahindra has the capability of cleverly integrating storage spaces.

Awaiting the test drive, and then the dilemma begins. How long to wait before booking? Which engine to go with? Which transmission to go with? Should I go with the convertible top, and wait for the aftermarket to come up with a more comprehensive hard top solution? Wait for Mahindra to implement an easier to pop out hard top? An endless barrage of questions swirl the mind, and this is before planning for future mods to improve the tourability of the Thar!!

Closing with my takeaway - We aren't enamored by the car that is the Thar, it is the possibilities a Thar brings with it.
ask99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:17   #729
BHPian

Took a 30 min test drive of Thar today, Black, Diesel, Manual, HT. Drove mostly on residential roads, few KMs on a free road. Below are a few of my observations. I have been driving a 1st Gen Figo for more than 9 years now, which will be a reference for my observations.

- You feel the constant vibration especially at low speeds, even when the road doesn't have visible potholes or rough patches. This may be a critical factor one needs to live with if he wants to buy / keep the Thar. The vibration gets better once the speed reaches about 50.
- In no time I felt at home. Never felt I was driving a new car. The driving position, visibility, driveability is very good.
- Most of the time, I was driving at 20-50 KM/H and could keep the car in 3rd gear without any issue. The roads are narrow with decent traffic, but not many gear changes are needed.
- The brakes lacks a little bite, but got adjusted to that quickly.
- AC is chilling at speed one (it was a sunny day here and I drove at around 1 pm). Engine and road noise is better when compared to my Figo.

The interaction with the dealer and SA are good so far. I got the car to my home at the promised time and SA has bee supportive on taking a longer test drive. I have told him already that i will be making a decision only after test driving the ATs and seeing a few colors in person.

As per the SA, they have around 150+ booking across their four show rooms in Chennai. Initial delivery is expected early November (for those who booked on 2nd October). Diesel HT Automatic is the one with the highest demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-thar1.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2020 at 06:59. Reason: Typos, language
r_devakumar is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 14th October 2020, 14:42   #730
BHPian

This car is a constant source of excitement and annoyance. Excitement... because it is a well-priced, lifestyle car that I want. Annoyance... because it just seems so financially irresponsible to pony up 15L for a car one will use once a month.

I wonder if we can do something like fractional ownerships for cars like these (like people do with aircraft). This will work better than renting one because rental cars are not very well maintained (and it will be worse with a purpose-built off-roader).
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 15:03   #731
udy
BHPian

Just an FYI for those who are interested. The Thar is now available on Mahindra Subscription also at a refundable deposit of only INR 1,00,000 and monthly fee of INR 45,740 (including maintenance and insurance) for a 2083 km limit with INR 14/extra km basis.

Think this is similar to leasing options in other countries, but not sure exactly how this works. Online says it will be brand new car as per your choice and you can keep the vehicle at a pre-determined cost after the subscription period is over or return the Thar to get the refund of your deposit. Similar to leasing options elsewhere.

While this will not be economically viable, this might help a few of the fence sitters with extra moolah to own and experience the Thar till the version 2 with the adjustments come out.

I have the link below for anyone interested and if anyone books the Thar this way, please do let the others know the exact terms and conditions as a few might be interested in this.

https://www.mahindrasyouv.com/mahind...n=referral_UBW
udy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 15:14   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
This car is a constant source of excitement and annoyance. Excitement... because it is a well-priced, lifestyle car that I want. Annoyance... because it just seems so financially irresponsible to pony up 15L for a car one will use once a month.
Sir If I may why would you buy this car and drive it just once a month. It is not a Superbike. This car can be run around doing everyday chores and go to the office / workplace and drop kids to school ( when they do go eventually ! ) and go to your friends house or weddings or grocery runs and everything else we do everyday. I do not see why it cannot be a daily runner. I intend to use it like that. 90% of our usage is this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Just an FYI for those who are interested. The Thar is now available on Mahindra Subscription also at a refundable deposit of only INR 1,00,000 and monthly fee of INR 45,740 (including maintenance and insurance) for a 2083 km limit with INR 14/extra km basis.

Think this is similar to leasing options in other countries, but not sure exactly how this works. Online says it will be brand new car as per your choice and you can keep the vehicle at a pre-determined cost after the subscription period is over or return the Thar to get the refund of your deposit. Similar to leasing options elsewhere.

While this will not be economically viable, this might help a few of the fence sitters with extra moolah to own and experience the Thar till the version 2 with the adjustments come out.

I have the link below for anyone interested and if anyone books the Thar this way, please do let the others know the exact terms and conditions as a few might be interested in this.

https://www.mahindrasyouv.com/mahind...n=referral_UBW
This one looks like an absolute flop from my point. Makes no sense at all to me and I do not see anyone rushing for this unless one wants to do a 1 month trial.
Old 14th October 2020, 15:22   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Sir If I may why would you buy this car and drive it just once a month. It is not a Superbike. This car can be run around doing everyday chores and go to the office / workplace and drop kids to school ( when they do go eventually ! ) and go to your friends house or weddings or grocery runs and everything else we do everyday. I do not see why it cannot be a daily runner. I intend to use it like that. 90% of our usage is this.
I have a family of large people. Not an ideal car for this. I don't like the 2-door concept because it is a pain to get into the back seat. Ride quality in a city filled with potholes isn't going to be fantastic. Plus, it will be difficult for people to get in and out. Can't travel anywhere with any kind of luggage because there isn't space.
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 15:29   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
I'm also very curious, no reviews on any AX variant, just walk around videos on YouTube.

One TBHPIAN did drive an AX (solely guessing by the white wheels)on the dealership slush track created by them, this is some pages earlier.

Hope someone can help.
I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly that was still an LX on which Mahindra had installed the steel wheels from the AX.

Cheers
Old 14th October 2020, 16:49   #735
BHPian

Spotted a 5 door Thar today. As usual in the black color.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201014_114816.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201014_114716.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201014_114708.jpg

I have shot a video on my phone but have to read up on how to attach it here.

Apologies that is indeed a Jeep Wrangler. Got fooled by the color and look

Mods: please remove this post.

Last edited by pugram : 14th October 2020 at 17:08. Reason: Wrongly mentioned Jeep and Thar
pugram is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks