Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:19   #271
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Some pics from the showroom launch.

The Thar has created quite a buzz which was evident from the crowding around the showroom. I could hear the bulk of the people going gaga over the looks and saying this is an amazing buy for 15lakhs. The vox populi seems to be considering the price as 'expected' and I reckon some 30 bookings have been done today alone.And it's only 3pm.
Huge wait for the test drive and I saw a good portion of the interested parties coming with wife/kids and checking it out. That was the differentiator from the previous generation Thar.

It looks like Mahindra got this one right.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201002_143444.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201002_144329.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201002_143458.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201002_144235.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201002_144317.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201002_144526.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201002_143907.jpg

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 2nd October 2020 at 15:20.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:20   #272
Senior - BHPian

I predict that the Thar will be used by

1) uber lifestyle oriented metro families (whenever that lifestyle resurrects)

2) politician's henchmen, to look cool. I can almost imagine a Pankaj Tripathi modelling for it, replete with sunshades, a red gamcha (scarf) and chewing paan. I'd imagine these will be used as pilot vehicles for the Fortuners.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 2nd October 2020 at 15:22.
fhdowntheline is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:21   #273
Senior - BHPian

So the AX Std at 9.80 lakhs is the same as the next version except for the lack of MLD - and is 85k cheaper? This version while barebones, will also be cheaper on-road because of the sub-10 lakh ex-showroom, and will be a good project car to build on!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 2nd October 2020 at 15:24.
ph03n!x is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:27   #274

Am confused between the convertible and the hard top. The latter is more Practical and the former more jeep like. Any suggestions.
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:28   #275
BHPian

I personally do not think the pricing is value for money at all. It is definitely higher priced and M&M are going for profits.

When invoiced in Oct 2015, my Thar cRDE which was the very first one here in town was invoiced at 8,72,299.

Now, this one is many times ahead in terms of comfort et al, but so is the pricing.

With insurance and RTO, it is going to cost a lot.

Looks good - yes.
Rides good - yes.
It is covet-able - yes yes.
It is priced high - sadly yes.
johy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:32   #276
BHPian

Is it possible for someone with more knowledge, to come up with Pros & Cons, for Petrol MT, AT and Diesel MT, AT.

Just can't decide for the booking.

I'd like more Refinement, higher BHP and Torque on the Petrol AT for the highway trips but not sure if Torque is available at lower RPMs on the diesel and on Off-the-road driving. Also petrol fuel efficiency is a concern for long term costs as well as more fuel stops on long highway trips.

Some sort of comparative spreadsheet of pros and cons would be awesome from an experienced jeeper.

Thank you in advance.
bolbolerobol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:33   #277
Senior - BHPian

Anand Mahindra interview on New Thar

Quote:
Is the Thar now more mainstream? Or will it still be a niche, lifestyle product?
The question that then comes up is, what is mainstream? If you are defining mainstream purely by volumes, then that’s something we are not projecting as we don’t give forward-looking statements on what we expect with sales. Let’s put it this way: we are definitely expecting the Thar to be much more appealing than to the very niche crowd that it serves now, purely because of its ability to be as comfortable on paved roads as well as off-road. So that definitely increases the scope of its appeal and to that extent, the Thar will break out of its very focused niche right now.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ew-thar-418772

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd October 2020 at 15:38.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:33   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
There seem to be some good Accessories on offer as GA too. The Reverse Camera and the Front Parking Sensors will be no doubt must haves, but I also see a 'Heads Up Display' as a part of the GA. Wonder what this displays and how useful it will be.

On a side note, I also see Mahindra is offering 16' Alloys as a part of GA, which actually looks good too and might be useful for those upgrading/downgrading to 16' Alloys without any warranty issues.

All in all, the Accessories look very impressive too and looks like Mahindra have done their home work well this time other than offering a different Grill as GA.
What is "GA"?

Where do you find these accessories such as reverse camera and heads up display and 16" alloys?

Cheers
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:38   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
What is "GA"?

Where do you find these accessories such as reverse camera and heads up display and 16" alloys?

Cheers
Unless I am totally wrong, GA stands for Genuine Accessories, Mahindra or Thar branding and would be available at dealers.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:40   #280
udy
BHPian

Quote:
What is "GA"?

Cheers
Genuine Accessories. They are mentioned in the Thar Accessories Brochure available on the Thar website. I have attached the same here for your reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thar_Accossories Brochure.pdf (7.17 MB, 1144 views)
udy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:42   #281
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I'm surprised why some of you are extremely disapointed in the Thar pricing. Ah on road prices. So if you see here in dehradun we'll get it for approximately 15L onroad. So its spot on. Same with a lot of other states too. UP, Chandigarh, Punjab etc.
Now if the RTO is extremely high in a few states, that cannot be factored in by the company. Simple.
I’m not extremely disappointed, but I’m disappointed for sure. But, it’s just my opinion and opinions differ. The price for diesel AT hardtop is 16.14 in Dehradun and Lucknow, UP and 15.87 in Amritsar. People living in Chandigarh are lucky though, it’s priced at 15.5. These figures are from Carwale and their on-road prices are often under quoted. 16.69 in Vizag, which is where I live. 17L is steep for what it offers. Hopefully the test drive changes my mind. I don’t want to talk about the prices in Bengaluru .

I’ve always been a fan of the Thar and I want the 2020 Thar to be a grand success. This will not only motivate and encourage M&M to make the Thar an even better product down the road and bring in more variants (like the Sasquatch package in the new Ford Bronco), but also encourage other manufacturers to bring in off-road centric cars to the Indian market. Considering the pricing, I’m not sure if M&M can meet their 4000 sales target per month. Maybe they will for the first 4-6 months, but after hype dies down, I’m sceptical. I would love to be proven wrong. Hopefully, the Indian public accept the product and it’s pricing and the Thar flies off the shelves.

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:46   #282
Team-BHP Support

Thar LX Petrol AT - 13.45 lakhs. 2.2L mStallion TGDi petrol with 150hp, 4*4 and 6 speed torque converter.

To see if it is value or not - let's see where it fits in:

Vitara Brezza AT - 1.5 NA petrol, 105hp, 4 speed TC - 11.4 lakhs.
Sonet GTX+ 7DCT - 1.0 TGDi petrol, DCT transmission, 118hp - 12.89 lakhs.
Duster RXL 1.3 Turbo CVT - 13.59 lakhs.
Seltos GTX DCT - 1.4 TGDi petrol, DCT transmission, 138hp - 17.29 lakhs.

Thar is priced just above the likes of Brezza and Sonet - has almost twice the engine, 4WD, a rugged ladder frame chassis, and a 6 speed box. Shouldn't engineering count in VFM as well? Or only 'kit'?

2 lakhs more over a Brezza 1.5 petrol 4AT gets your a Thar hardtop LX AT! Personally, I see that phenomenal value. If Maruti had a 6 speed gearbox and AWD - they would have priced Brezza above Thar even with that lame NA motor.

The age old Duster RXL with only 2WD and the 1.3 Turbo producing a similar ~150 horses and CVT is priced 10k higher. What's the nearest 150hp petrol or 130hp diesel AT vehicle priced at?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd October 2020 at 15:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 16:00   #283
BHPian

Quote:
What is "GA"?

Cheers
"Genuine Accessories"
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 16:06   #284
BHPian

On the way to the dealership now and definitely don’t plan on coming back without placing a booking, provided they can deliver before November 10th.

I’m still a tad confused between Copper and Red but mine will definitely be a Soft Top Convertible. That’s how I like the Thar.
Ravi_chd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 16:15   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thar LX Petrol AT - 13.45 lakhs. 2.2L mStallion TGDi petrol with 150hp, 4*4 and 6 speed torque converter.

To see if it is value or not - let's see where it fits in:

Vitara Brezza AT - 1.5 NA petrol, 105hp, 4 speed TC - 11.4 lakhs.
Sonet GTX+ 7DCT - 1.0 TGDi petrol, DCT transmission, 118hp - 12.89 lakhs.
Duster RXL 1.3 Turbo CVT - 13.59 lakhs.
Seltos GTX DCT - 1.4 TGDi petrol, DCT transmission, 138hp - 17.29 lakhs.

Thar is priced just above the likes of Brezza and Sonet - has almost twice the engine, 4WD, a rugged ladder frame chassis, and a 6 speed box. Shouldn't engineering count in VFM as well? Or only 'kit'?

2 lakhs more over a Brezza 1.5 petrol 4AT gets your a Thar hardtop LX AT! Personally, I see that phenomenal value. If Maruti had a 6 speed gearbox and AWD - they would have priced Brezza above Thar even with that lame NA motor.

The age old Duster RXL with only 2WD and the 1.3 Turbo producing a similar ~150 horses and CVT is priced 10k higher. What's the nearest 150hp petrol or 130hp diesel AT vehicle priced at?
But 4 people with luggage can go on a long trip in a Brezza. They cannot in a Thar. The monocoque cars are going to be far more comfortable to be inside on highways and paved roads, and for most car owners most driving occurs on roads like that. The Brezza and Sonet will sell far more than the Thar because for 99% of people they are more VFM, insofar as the value that matters is comfortable driving and space to carry stuff.

I'm tempted by the Thar because of its looks and capabilities but I am apprehensive of how bumpy and body roll-y it's going to feel and how much that's going to affect trips to the hills or on the highway. If you to intend to have one car for everything, as I do, the Thar isn't a great option. Mahindra has done well to provide creature comforts and goodies, but making the Thar feel car-like on paved roads is immeasurably more difficult and they haven't been able to do that. For that reason I feel it'll remain a niche product.
karanddd is offline   (19) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks