Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 13:52   #121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
How easy or difficult will it be for a dog to climb on to the rear front facing seat ? Will the side facing seat variant be more convenient for a dog to jump on board from the rear gate ?

This could be the only deal breaker for me , sadly .
A late reply to this and other posts asking about dogs getting in. The 2012 Thar itself is a bit too high for a heavy bigger breed of dog to get in on its own. The 2020 will be even slightly higher to get in.

I have a 5 year old labrador and all he can do is put his front paws on the rear of the Thar (with the tailgate open), he is too heavy to jump in so I have to lift him in. On the way out he can jump down but a couple of times he started limping after the jump down so nowadays I have to lift him down as well.

With the soft top and the rear flap rolled up he enjoys sitting/standing in the back and looking out. Every time he goes by the Thar he looks at me and I can see the question in his eyes - can we go on a drive
sjcherian is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 14:38   #122
BHPian

New bookings open announcement video featuring more flying Thars, this time officially.

And yes, bookings open from 2nd Oct 2020 officially.

Eagerly waiting for price reveal

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 27th September 2020 at 14:39. Reason: Typo/correcting the autocorrect
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 17:01   #123
BHPian

Though this looks very very good with factory hard top, I wonder why can't they offer a uniform all metal cabin rather than an afterfit hardtop. Suzuki Gimny comes to mind when comparing how Thar may look with a uniform metal cabin rather than an afterfit hard top.
An all metal cabin will also be able to accommodate a rooftop luggage rack.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:23   #124
BHPian

How bouncy is the ride relative to the Isuzu V Cross. What modifications can make the car glide over the potholes?

And what is with these launch ads. When Thar has such useful and suitable attributes, why choose a trait that no one even expects. I am sure quite a few people will try launching the car messing up their suspensions.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:27   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post

New bookings open announcement video featuring more flying Thars, this time officially.
Rohit Shetty will be so happy to see this
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 08:00   #126
BHPian

@ Experts:

What is the utility of N in the low range gear lever?
Used to seeing 2H, 4H and 4L.

Thanks.
Old 28th September 2020, 08:15   #127
BHPian

You need to checkout a Chinese copycat Wrangler now sold in Pakistan. Don't mind the "BJ 40" name, the car looks like a decent second copy of the Wrangler.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 08:17   #128
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
You need to checkout a Chinese copycat Wrangler now sold in Pakistan. Don't mind the "BJ 40" name, the car looks like a decent second copy of the Wrangler. https://Youtu.be/wQIjADl_YIw
It looks like a Hummer H3 clone, not really a Wrangler copy.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 08:25   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
@ Experts:

What is the utility of N in the low range gear lever?
Used to seeing 2H, 4H and 4L.

Thanks.
Apart from preventing a shift on the fly to 4L where the TC doesn't permit it, it is used to drive any PTO that can mated to the said TC.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 13:08   #130
Team-BHP Support

The auction for Thar #1 has crossed into the 90s now. Expecting it to pick up pace tomorrow post noon and cross 1C.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20200928_130554.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th September 2020 at 13:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 13:12   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Boot space is sad, comparable to a small hatchback. For driving holidays, the Thar is best for 2 – 3 onboard and their luggage. You can forget about going for a road-trip if you have 4 occupants onboard because their bags simply won’t fit! You’ll either have to do some jugaad by squeezing smaller bags on the sides of the rear seat (on the wheel arches) or hope for someone to design a carrier / temporary storage net hanging out from the back (like the old Jeeps). Yes, the rear seat’s backrest does fold down for when you need to haul larger cargo.
Given that the engines don't qualify for sub 4 mtr tax breaks, I am curious why they could not have made the Thar just a hint longer to make the boot space a little more respectable. Without compromising the whole short jeep / overhangs factor. They've done a lot towards making it more practicle and acceptable to the urban buyer as a lifestyle vehicle. I feel this should have been on their mind while designing the length.

Quote:
• The brakes performed okay. No issues.
Just saw Vikrant Singh's carwale review. I have heard widely ranging opinions on the brakes now. Some magazine reviewers (Autocar for sure) mentioned the brakes are too soft and disappointing. Vikrant praised them as having bite and T BHP also hasn't raised issues with them.

Strange for there to be such a range of different opinions on this aspect. I will pay a lot of attention to my personal opinion on this whenever I get behind the wheel.
Old 28th September 2020, 13:20   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Just saw Vikrant Singh's carwale review. I have heard widely ranging opinions on the brakes now. Some magazine reviewers (Autocar for sure) mentioned the brakes are too soft and disappointing. Vikrant praised them as having bite and T BHP also hasn't raised issues with them.

Strange for there to be such a range of different opinions on this aspect. I will pay a lot of attention to my personal opinion on this whenever I get behind the wheel.
@Axe77, even my 2014 model had the same issue of Soft brakes, which had to be upgraded with a lot of inputs from T-Bhp and especially Mr. Behram Dhabar's snouts.

I guess we will all have to go through the same old juggad of upgrading the Booster from another Vehicle within the M&M Stable.

Mr. Dhabhar will surely be sorely missed for all his inputs on the Juggads.
shivshanker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 16:30   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Mr. Dhabhar will surely be sorely missed for all his inputs on the Juggads.
Sorry to nitpick, but BD was the last person to recommend a jugaad. He was a sucker for OE specs and always wanted to keep things stock. Though there were "upgrades" he often recommended but even these were only with OE parts bin.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 20:20   #134
BHPian

Thar 2020 is one car where all colors are looking good. Galaxy grey and Rocky Beige are my favorite:

r_devakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 00:52   #135
BHPian

Quote:

• Buy the Diesel AT if you are going to cruise a lot. While I have yet to drive the Diesel AT, I have a gut feeling it’s the one I’ll bring home. IMHO, the diesel is more in line with the character of the Thar, its city FE will be 75 – 100% higher, while the longer tank range is a boon on the highway and when offroading. Offroading in my Jeep once, we went much deeper than was originally planned. I got pretty anxious when the fuel gauge dropped to 1/4th and the nearest pump was a 1.5 hour walk away. For this longer tank range alone, offroaders will pick the diesel Thar. High-revv a diesel in 4x4 2nd-low and your FE will drop to 5 km/l. High-revv a petrol in 4x4 2nd-low and your FE can drop to 2 km/l.
Hello GTO,

I've put down a deposit on a Thar LX Diesel MT a month+ ago, after reading your first drive impressions and watching a video (linked below) from fellow TeamBHPian who's driven the Thar AT and MT. The video amused me how well the gearbox shifts. I have experience with Mahindra's AMT only from the XUV300 and it was horrendous in my opinion. That's the only reason being I didn't want to opt a Auto one at the beginning. My driving mainly consisting of urban runs/commute to college and farm 40kms away so it feels sensible to go for the Auto. Also this is the 4th car at home so it doesn't have to be practical but I'd like to daily drive this instead of my Rapid MT.

My only concerns and what is holding me back from going Auto is the offroading capability difference between the MT and AT and does the AT Torque Converter come with a Transmission Cooler? How well will the AT do compared to the MT offroad. Some say it's better than the manual as it let's you focus more on the obstacles/path in front of you. Some say manual is the way for offroading (hearing this a lot from Indian offroader's).

You being a Jeeper yourself for the past many years, I know you wouldn't want to get an Auto if there were drawbacks. Hence that's why I want a word from you personally of what route I should go. Also, how long you intend on keeping your new Thar for?

and by the way.

Link:
harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed