Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 08:49   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

@GTO.
A very honest & passionate review . Thank you !

When I read your very first paragraph ,
" The “Jeep” styling & proportions are spot on (Jeep Wrangler xerox copy notwithstanding)"

I felt , Mahindra guy's must be sarcastically smiling at Jeep Guy's referring to Roxor case ,
" You punched me in your land , take mine here ! "
motor spirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:12   #62
BHPian

@GTO

Awesome insight into the actual feel of the Thar ! I was wondering about :

1. Does the car also pitch uncomfortably? Or is it just bumpy?

2. Like you mentioned about tyre changes to improve ride would it help to underinflate the stock tyres by upto 2 psi mainly for city comfort ?

3. What was the actual FE figures you saw on the display?

Cheers !
Old 25th September 2020, 09:31   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, after a mix of highway + city driving, and in a mix of easy + hard driving, the MID displayed 9.4 kmpl.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:33   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurav_Nair View Post
The top bid for the Thar #1 is now standing at a whopping ₹81L.

At this rate, I won't be surprised if it touches the ₹1Cr mark.
Day 1 it has crossed the 81L mark - even I wont be suprised if it just crosses the 1C mark and closes in the next two days.

For all the criticism many have of the Thar being a Wrangler copy, there are at least a few who are willing to pay much more than the on-road price of a Wrangler Rubicon to get the first one home.

Also noticed that the auction is being driven by folks from Kerala and Punjab (Guessing based on the names).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

I am a fan of the car, like many others but after some introspection, I realized that this is not a car for me.

Have listed a few questions below which you should ask yourself before making the decision?
  • When was the last time you went HARDCORE OFFROADING?
  • Do you travel on roads where a Nexon / Ecosport / Brezza / Harrier / XUV / TUV wont do the job?
  • Do you have parking space for two cars?
  • Can this be your Primary Car? (if you cant squeaze two cars in the garage or your budget)
  • Can you get a friend to buy this car and enjoy it on drives with him?
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:02   #66
BHPian

Great review GTO. In India, if I were to buy a 4x4 SUV, it has to be a diesel. With Power output in diesel and petrol being almost the same, petrol producing tad bit more, I'd pick a diesel anytime for better fuel efficiency. I'm not going to buy one since we've already got too many cars in our garage but I'm looking forward for a test drive. This sure is a looker. As always, enjoyed reading your review. I'm waiting for the off-roading videos by BHPians.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:15   #67
BHPian

Mahindra has done a good job in the exterior & interior department but we should also remember the last time they updated the previous generation, things have changed for the good in last 10 years. Now in the industry you can get both comfy & sporty characteristics with the help of electronics. Dynamics of this car keep a lot to be desired, where it would shine truly is the off-road trails but even the rare of the rare thars see those, else most are used in the urban jungle environment.
Still is a heart over mind decision for me or to scare of those rude autorickshaws & guys not using their ORVM's hoping they will not get too close to my vehicle on the road. ��
Old 25th September 2020, 10:21   #68
BHPian

That was a crisp and concise review, covering all the bases. Thanks for the same!

As for the car, it has performed as expected and it is definitely impressive. Indian manufacturers are bringing their A game and that's very heartening. This car is specific has generated so much hype that a person in a Huracan stopped to check it out. Link to video here:

Driving itself exciting and doing it off the road so much so and that makes the attention that this car is getting very understandable. I really wish I could drive one sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Thar 1 auction - the top BID is now at 75 lakhs

Attachment 2058666

https://auction.carandbike.com/home/auction
It's at 81,25,000. Really noble of Mahindra to come up with this satisfying a petrol head while donating to charity. It also goes to show that the enthusiasts market in India is not the same as it was a decade ago and things are picking up and very fast.
Old 25th September 2020, 10:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, after a mix of highway + city driving, and in a mix of easy + hard driving, the MID displayed 9.4 kmpl.
Is this for the Petrol or Diesel?

For a Petrol, not bad at all. All my petrol manuals have been around 10 kmpl in City traffic (with whatever foot traffic allows :P)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Another situation I foresee is availability (rather lack of it) across variants for test drives! I am sure many potential buyers would want to compare at least 2 variants, if not more, before taking a decision - say, manual vs. auto (could be petrol or diesel) or petrol vs. diesel (could be manual or auto) or LX vs AX (to assess the VFM proposition) whereas most dealerships will (typically) have only one (or at best two) variants for test drives. I hope M&M plans something on this front.
Old 25th September 2020, 11:20   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I am a fan of the car, like many others but after some introspection, I realized that this is not a car for me.

Have listed a few questions below which you should ask yourself before making the decision?
  • When was the last time you went HARDCORE OFFROADING?
  • Do you travel on roads where a Nexon / Ecosport / Brezza / Harrier / XUV / TUV wont do the job?
  • Do you have parking space for two cars?
  • Can this be your Primary Car? (if you cant squeaze two cars in the garage or your budget)
  • Can you get a friend to buy this car and enjoy it on drives with him?
I qualify for all these points, until the last one comes up. My wife use to accompany me on off-road trails, but she has bigger responsibilities now.

I know a few off-roaders who are friends now, but I don't have a friend who is an off roader.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2020 at 19:08. Reason: Grammar
dicor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th September 2020, 11:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
For an proper off-roader Petrol vehicle, this is more than enough. I wouldn't mind getting one as even my Xcent is giving me about 11-13 kmpl in city.
Old 25th September 2020, 11:49   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ guys, just to clarify, 9.4 kmpl after mixed driving indicates 7 kmpl in the city (weekend traffic) and 11 kmpl on the expressway. Also, the MID is hardly the most accurate way of measuring fuel efficiency.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
^ guys, just to clarify, 9.4 kmpl after mixed driving indicates 7 kmpl in the city (weekend traffic) and 11 kmpl on the expressway. Also, the MID is hardly the most accurate way of measuring fuel efficiency.
Thanks for clarifying!

7 kmpl in city is still decent, considering the weight of the vehicle. Anyways for a person like me who rarely use the Jeep, mileage isn't a big deal. Hope this applies the same for anyone picking up the Petrol Thar!
Old 25th September 2020, 12:06   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
If they are giving 4-5 seater car, better make sure its proper 4-5 seater. This is more like 2 seater car with 2 extra seats just to attract customers. Better sell it as a 2 seater only then. Access to those seats is very tough, nightmare for elderly people. If after so much R&D, they can't give us proper seating is not at all good for me and customers. This is just my opinion, others don't have to agree to it.
I respect your opinion and Im on your same boat and calling it impractical for the rear passengers. But aniketi, Thats a bit unfair to the maker, no? We need to see the vehicle through the correct lens.

They don't intend or claim it to be the family car meant for elders and the like. It neither is nor claims practically as its trait and hence niche.

One can always knock off the two rear seats like GTO did and use it as a pure 2 seater if the customer finds no value/use in them.

Honestly, I know we would all be gunning the same car down if it had only two seats and asking
"how much more would it have costed M&M to just add two seats more to accord some moderate passenger capacity. No way Im paying 15 lacs for a two seater!?"

This jeep is not for all of us. (especially you and me) but it was never meant to be.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks