Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 10:35   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
It would make an ideal vehicle for ladies. Commanding driving view. small enough to be used in city traffic. People would give way easily. Wouldn't be worried about small dings etc. Automatic Diesel would be the ideal option.

This my plan too!
I too am buying the Thar LX petrol auto for my wife, though her commuting would only be about 10kms everyday.
SX4LOVER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:10   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Will the full detailed review also cover the diesel AT? Thanks
Yes. Will also include a review of the "convertible" soft-top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
I too am buying the Thar LX petrol auto for my wife, though her commuting would only be about 10kms everyday.
The 2020 Thar is actually perfect for women too:

- Automatic, friendly steering & good visibility.

- Tall seating position.

- Extremely stylish. Women have traditionally cared for vanity more than men.

- Compact. I was able to park in spots that a Creta wouldn't fit in (Thar is sub-4 meters in length).

- No one cuts you or messes with you on the road.

- Stress-free to drive as you aren't worried about scratches or damage in a Jeep. In my experience with Jeeps, if you have a minor kiss with another car, it is usually the other car that is damaged (and not the Jeep).

Because of the above points, I continue to insist that the '20 Thar is easier to drive than a Honda City in Mumbai.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:17   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post

My wife's car (Santro) is showing it's age and she has dropped a few hints. I was considering something electric, but after reading this review and drooling over the pics I am having second thoughts.

So, does the Thar make a good city vehicle for ladies?
I would appreciate some feedback from current Thar owners.
My girlfriend loves the Jeep Wrangler and at one point she wanted the Wrangler and nothing else. So when the Thar came out guess who had a sly smile.

Thankfully, I love the Thar as well and there was not much convincing to do (to self and better half). The deal is if I get it she will be the one driving it daily to office (so auto is mandatory). I will only get to use it on weekends.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th September 2020 at 11:39.
Pancham is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:21   #109
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

As always, great first drive, Sir. Just my two cents on the New Thar:

Pros:
1) AT + 4x4 the impossible combo is finally a reality (perhaps Tata is taking notes as 4x4 XMA was spotted)
2) Solid build unlike homebrew vehicle
3) Pretty good list of features

Cons:
1) Expected to be expensive but if it's already hitting 16-17L might as well wait for Hexa 4x4 AT or get a 2016 Endeavour (my god, that SUV is incredible)
2) Long term reliability and rattle expectations are still unknown
3) As mentioned in the first drive/55 point article, can't be the primary. I can't have more than 1 vehicle so it's a dicey situation

I hope manufacturers learn from this that 4x4 and Automatic working together is not impossible (yes, Maruti, Hyundai and Tata. Eat your hearts out)
Old 26th September 2020, 15:13   #110
BHPian

Great review as usual GTO and I agree, every time I look Thar it gives me tug in my heart. Will probably buy one a year down the line when my wife's car will need to be replaced. She likes aggressive, tough built cars like this
Old 26th September 2020, 21:39   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Attachment 2058374

• Within the city, you’ll observe the Petrol AT being more downshift-friendly than you’d expect. When slowing down, I noticed it frequently downshifting to bring the revs to ~2,000 rpm, where other ATs would usually freewheel to maximise fuel economy. I think Mahindra has done this to prevent the rpm needle from dropping too low and to improve driveability / engine responsiveness. I personally prefer this as it leads to superior throttle response, although the FE-loving customer won’t. Useful behaviour when offroading too.
• The Petrol AT is a guzzler in the city! Factors like the weight + power + torque converter AT make me believe you should expect 6 – 7 km/l tops in the city (lower if you drive hard). Consumption on the highway remains high (9 – 10 km/l) if you constantly drive at 110 – 120 km/h, perhaps because of the breadbox aerodynamics? Be sure to get a full tank of petrol before you venture off the road in 4x4 mode.

Petrol AT Thar is the only car in which I kept the DTE as the default MID screen (I've never been one to care about FE)Attachment 2058397
What a fantastic first drive report! Rated 5 stars. Heart already sold to the Thar, yet such a balanced review!
Quite a few of us have also fallen for it "hook, line and sinker", including me. But I thought the Duster AWD would be my last diesel. I was really targeting the petrol Thar. The abysmal FE numbers is dampening my spirit a bit. My old get 1.6 Vento averages 10-12 kmpl overall with 12-13 avg on highways. If the new engine from Mahindra gives a similar number, I am happy. I really feel Mahindra should have included an Eco mode to maximise fuel economy in the city.
Old 27th September 2020, 00:19   #112
BHPian

Any indication on the onroad pricing for tge variants?
Old 27th September 2020, 00:24   #113
BHPian

Forgive me for getting out of topic:

The older generation of THAR had a low cost DI Model {not sure about the nomenclature} for the rural market.

I have seen good numbers in Idukki and Wayanad district of kerala, Dakshin kannada, Uduppi and Uttara Kannada districts of Karnataka. (These districts adjoin the western ghats)

Before advent of prev gen THAR , Mahindra had an 4X4 Jeep popularly known as Commander in Idukki district of kerala (again not sure ofthe exact nomenclature)

These vehicles could handle off roading (it's the way of life in those parts). They were used to haul all kinds of cargo (farm produce, livestock, firewood) and also as a people mover.

These jeep drivers sit by just having one leg inside cabin. The other leg and half the body would be hanging out so that one more passenger could be seated. The ABC pedals are mostly controlled with just 1 leg. They ferry 10 passengers on an average. (Licensed seating capacity is 6). These vehicles are the lifeline of remote tribal hamlets, worker colonies in Tea / Cardamom estates, Rubber plantations etc

The new THAR is overpriced for that segment. Mahindra should think of releasing a cheaper and toned down Jeep, or add 4by4 to the Bolero platform for the benefit of this market.

You can see the 4 wheel drive in action:

Cargo hauling:

Crossing swollen streams:

Voodooblaster is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 08:43   #114
Team-BHP Support

Thar lineup for Mahindra #herdrive happening today -

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-mahindrathar2020_09_27_08_23.jpg

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-mahindrathar2020_09_27_08_231.jpg

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 11:10   #115
BHPian

What a masterful write up there, chief! Was glued and read each and every word it was so interesting and informative and an indirect insight to what mods someone should begin with (Geolander Tyres, New Grille & Upgraded Speakers).

A good word of caution there too as being a newbie off-roader and a die-hard fan of the Thar I was expecting it to handle like any other SUV of its price bracket and was surely looking for a Stage-1 tune straight out of the dealership but surely learnt a thing or two after reading it. But all said and done, any advices there to make the steering less 'vague' and more direct' ? Also, there's a good amount of confusion for those who haven't seen the car yet personally so could you comment if the hard-top roof is two piece and if there's any possibility to open only the front part at home as a DIY at regular intervals ?
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
...could you comment if the hard-top roof is two piece and if there's any possibility to open only the front part at home as a DIY at regular intervals ?
This is something I'm keen on too - while I'm hooked to the convertible idea, noise and AC will be too much of a compromise.

If the part above the front seats is detachable at home, nothing like it. Seems like a for-granted idea that if it's not, some accessory make or other will come up with this, but that'd mean messing with factory finish.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:25   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

So you've set your sights on the Thar, and that's great news. TD'ing the petrol automatic makes sense, because that is where the demand would be, I suspect, rather than the diesel.
Quote:
BHPians from Delhi-NCR (10-year old diesel car ban) and those who don’t care about fuel economy will be pleased with the Thar Petrol.
The scrap-diesels-after-10-years rule is likely to extend nationally soon, so folks in the Tier 1 cities need to have petrol as their first choice. And your subsequent updates of FE seem to be quite decent for a 150 bhp 2L engine. As a matter of fact, the Scorpio is similar in weight to the Thar, and the same engine (tweaked to generate more power & torque) would be a good option in the Scorpio.
Quote:
I also wish Mahindra had given armrests bolted to the seat, like in the Scorpio.
I have a feeling that the fully loaded ATs will be 16 - 17 lakhs on the road...
As a long-term user of the old Thar (8 years old) as well as a Scorpio 4wd (forced to sell due to the 10-year rule), I am inclined to put my money on a petrol Scorpio 4wd rather than a petrol Thar, if, as and when Mahindra decides to bring such a Scorpio to the market. At 16-17L, one can pick up a Scorpio S5 diesel with 4wd, provided M&M actually wanted to sell such a thing (they don't), so a petrol S7 4wd is well achievable at that price point (I hope Mahindra listens to this). The good ol' Scorpio 4wd can perform 80% of the stuff the Thar can off-road, and it is a far superior vehicle on highways. In the city, I would certainly prefer the Scorpio over the Thar in case there are more than 2 people travelling together - the convenience of separate doors for the rear-seat passengers is unbeatable.
Quote:
The sub-4 meter length...
I wonder why the design team had to implement the sub-4-m limit, since the engines are not sub-1.2L(P) / sub-1.5L(D), the GC is high, and there should not be any major tax benefits just for the length.
Quote:
I am buying the Thar, and so are many BHPians. But let me make it clear that the Thar is NOT for everyone. It is a special vehicle with many talents. However, there are also many compromises to be made. Be sure to take a long test-drive before you commit. Be sure to read this post again & again. Some of us will hold onto our Thars for 10 years, some will sell them within 2 – 3 years (as we see with impractical Harley-Davidsons in India).
Very interesting observation. I wonder how many of the old Thar users will sell their Thar CRDe's & DI's (especially the workhorse DI's) and want to switch to the new Thar. I, for one, probably would not.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th September 2020 at 12:30.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 13:09   #118
BHPian

Dear SS, could you please elaborate more on the diesel ban for 10 years vehicle to be extended nationally. If this happens it will be disastrous. So far as I know the application for modification of the order is pending before the Apex Court. The Court had admitted the application moved by the government. The government is of the view that there should be one rule for one nation. In fact I have one UP16 registered Innova standing idle since January 2020 due to this stupid problem as people offer peanuts for such vehicles even if they can run beyond NCR.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:17   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786 View Post
Dear SS, could you please elaborate more on the diesel ban for 10 years vehicle to be extended nationally.
This isn't the right thread to discuss this. You might want to read through this thread (Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR), or this one (15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th September 2020 at 13:18.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:36   #120
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th September 2020 at 13:50.
manver786 is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks