Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 11:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• NVH: Very smooth in the city and at low speeds. Out on the highway, at 90 – 100 km/h, I could hear wind noise, but it was still acceptable for me because I keep my music loud. But at 110 – 120 km/h, it is LOUD. And this is the hard-top we’re talking about. God help us soft-top lovers. At 120 km/h, tyre / road noise is prominent as well. Allow me to twist that and put it the opposite way = @ 120 km/h, the only thing not making a noise is the engine . Will add that the horn is too loud in the cabin.
Does it have under bonnet insulation? Can't quite make out from the engine bay photo. If not, that's an easy fix that M&M should incorporate in the production versions.

I didn't have much work today, so used the comparo feature on the Thar website and prepared a snapshot of only feature differences in the AX and LX. From that, the AX OPT seems to be a decent alternative for people who are smitten by the Thar, but are on a strict budget.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-thardiff.jpg

EDIT: The last item covered by the TBHP logo is "Brake Locking Differential".

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th September 2020 at 11:44.
comfortablynumb is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:17   #17
BHPian

Another off road video. Probably the best showcase of its off road capabilities yet.

Last edited by spkrnh : 24th September 2020 at 11:19.
spkrnh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Crawl with the Thar, The Thar walk

Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:24   #19
BHPian

I got quite emotional reading this review yeah sure it is a choice of heart as GTO rightly said.

Now since the 4 door version is announced which is mainly targeting the urban buyers,
I feel Mahindra will tune the suspension to more urban friendly or even better if they offer suspension modes for city and off-road.

I am seriously waiting for 4 door version now. Rated the thread 5 star, great initial review.

Last edited by RaceHorse : 24th September 2020 at 11:26.
RaceHorse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have been waiting for a Petrol UV with 4x4/AWD and AT for ages now. Finally!!!! Just that I will choose not to be one of their BETA Testing customers but patiently wait another year or so and even a price increase before committing myself. But really glad to see what M&M have achieved here.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

As good as it looks, I wont buy one primarily because its a mooched off design. In doing so though, they did not copy what they actually should have copied which is a rigid front axle for an offroad car. Its also a little too heavy for its size. A Suzuki Jimny although slightly smaller is positively feather light at 1095 odd kgs, a boon for going offroad.

I also wish they gave it a lockable rear diff and if wishes were horses, a lockable front diff. I know that there is mechanical limited slip rear diff lock so something is better than nothing. Good review as usual. All the best for people buying one. Keep us posted.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 24th September 2020 at 11:57.
extreme_torque is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for a neat, crisp summary there, Rush! It takes something to be as objective and critical about a car that you have fallen head-over-heels in love with, as you have been in this review Hats-off to that, but then that's the spirit of TBHP!

Based on what I read, M&M has hit a bullseye with the Thar 2.0, subject to reasonable pricing, of course. I, for one, am almost certain that my Gypsy will be replaced by an AX M/T petrol convertible sometime in 2022 While the Gypsy has its own charm, the beauty of this new Thar lies in the fact that it can seamlessly switch from a daily drive avatar to a weekend fun car (with the top off), the former being a challenge in a Gypsy! Let's see how the real world usage pans out, once we see these on the road (and off it)!

Thanks, again!

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th September 2020 at 12:21.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks GTO, for a highly detailed and comprehensive first drive report.

One question I have is, how far does the front seat slide back? Is the travel enough for tall (over 6 feet) drivers to feel comfortable. The first gen Thar made it too tight a squeeze for tall drivers, making ingress and egress difficult and resulting in the steering wheel being too in-the-face.

Also, the left knee fouling with the dash" issue - is it better or worse than in the Harrier?
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:34   #24
BHPian

This new trend of sharing key observations ahead of the full fledged review is really very helpful - like a tasty appetiser before the detailed yum main course

Coming to Thar - looks like it has solved "which 2nd car puzzle" for me. XUV500 is 1st car in house, and I need a second one for -
quick errands
Wife needs a car for short runs
I need a quick, short and show off vehicle
will use it max 150 kms trips with bit of no-road trails

No offroading intents ever. Polo TSi/Figo TDCi/i10 Nios are good fit for my req (except for no-road trails) but after Thar no looking forward. Just need to figure out how do I retro fit Thar for us

Last edited by Zinda : 24th September 2020 at 12:35. Reason: Typo
Zinda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:42   #25
BHPian

Phew Rush what a detailed, crisp and clean first drive review, in the 10 years you haven't reviewed any vehicle, you still have the Midas touch.

The first one to forward me the Thar reveal on 15th August was my Son in law. Ofcourse being a TBHpian, I was on the 2020 Thar thread since time immemorial

When will I bite the bait 2021 if not earlier.
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are buying the Thar now, invest in that extended warranty!

In hardly any Indian home will the Thar be the primary car

Quite silly of Mahindra to not give the Thar a reversing camera.

The Aisin gearbox does a satisfactory job for the most part.

I like my offroaders & SUVs with smaller wheels & bigger tyres
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Though I wonder why Mahindra has equipped it with a reverse parking camera.

This machine is definitely primarily for the offroading enthusiast, not a city/highway commuter.
Great first impressions, @GTO.

1. Buying extended warranty has become the order of the day - gone are the days of Quality.

2. The Thar makes an excellent proposition as a pure off - roader, but not as a family car.

I've seen so many off-road enthusiasts buy a premium 4x4 for, say, INR 40 L, and torture the machine off-road.

It would make better sense to buy a comfortable UV for regular use and a Thar only for off-road. The capital outgo would thus be ONLY in the INR 33L range for both machines.

3. The parking sensors actually do a far better job than the camera alone; if I had a choice, I'd choose sensors over the camera any day.

Yes, parking and corner sensors with an additional camera is welcome, but a camera as the only reversing tool - No !!

4. The Aisin gearbox is a great choice; as Mahindra says, "Nothing Else Will Do".

5. Downgrading the wheels to a lower dia with a better aspect ratio is the way to go.

6. This is the first vehicle I'm seeing with only a mirror adjustment knob and no power window switches on the door armrest.

It would be a good idea to have the power window switches in the doors for greater reliability, especially in water wading situations.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:05   #27
BHPian

Excellent write-up GTO! Felt like I'm inside the car and experienced drive and bumpiness. New Thar is definitely an eye turner and solidly build. Definitely would love to go offroading on this with friends at lest once. Hopping that self drive car rentals will have Thar as offering.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Great first impressions, @GTO.

6. This is the first vehicle I'm seeing with only a mirror adjustment knob and no power window switches on the door armrest.

It would be a good idea to have the power window switches in the doors for greater reliability, especially in water wading situations.
I remember reading somewhere that this is because of the doors being removable for serious off-roasters. Relocating the window controls and speakers off the door, and only having the mirror adjustment knob (to be unplugged when removing doors) makes the entire process much easier.
sidparekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

To all those reviewers out there, two requests:
  • Could you please have an actual user of rear seats (Ladies/Elderly) to try testing/entering/exiting to know the actual feedback from them.
  • Just like you sit on the seats and analyse its usability, could you please load actual luggage's in the boot.. A few small and large duffle bags, laptop bag, handbags, jack fruits..etc.. and see how many fit in there and show us a view/count.
balenoed_ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quick question on utility. A lot of folks like me bought Thar for its utility. It can carry endeless number of people and luggage without fuss and yet do offroad. Where does new Thar stand? While I clearly see LX to be ruled out, AX diesel seem to be ok to do this on paper. Any idea on load rating of the new Thar?
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks