Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 17:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
This, in a country whose biggest concern is "Average Kya hai?" and the moto is "Paisa Vasool".

Am I missing something?
I doubt average kya hai and paisa vasool junta is bidding on it, a near crore mark bid is clear indicator of that.

The money from bid will go to charity, so apart from having serial number #1, lot of philanthropic parties would be bidding on it too.

I won't be surprised if someone on behalf of MS Dhoni is bidding on it and it ultimately lands in his hands.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:59   #92
BHPian

Shes a real looker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes, the rear seat’s backrest does fold down for when you need to haul larger cargo
How down is down? Totally flat like the Wagon-R?

My wife's car (Santro) is showing it's age and she has dropped a few hints. I was considering something electric, but after reading this review and drooling over the pics I am having second thoughts.

So, does the Thar make a good city vehicle for ladies?
I would appreciate some feedback from current Thar owners.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:06   #93
Senior - BHPian

Thank you GTO for the crisp first drive impressions . Mahindra with it's new Thar was aiming to make the best of both worlds - a true off roader that can be your daily driver too, and thereby start to appeal to many who couldn't buy it as their daily ride owing to it's practicality. I doubt whether that goal is met. Thar in it's new avatar still remains a niche vehicle and is largely an off roader than a jack of all trades. Surely it's a big step up from the old Thar. The introduction of AT, AA supporting HU and few other comforting features has made it as a more liveable car as your daily driver, nothing more.

So let's leave it at that and accept the reality that it's primarily an off roader. As GTO suggested, buyers who're planning to have this as the only car in your household has to really think hard and sensible, no matter where Mahindra wants to position the new Thar. It's a laudable effort though.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th September 2020 at 18:17.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:09   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post

So, does the Thar make a good city vehicle for ladies?
It would make an ideal vehicle for ladies. Commanding driving view. small enough to be used in city traffic. People would give way easily. Wouldn't be worried about small dings etc. Automatic Diesel would be the ideal option.

This my plan too!
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 20:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Here is a video of the Thar diesel's manual and automatic acceleration. Looks pretty impressive and cruising all day long at 120kmph doesn't seem to be too stressfull with those tall 6 gears.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=YLQ_hFaysto
Are the gear ratios really that high? Seems like he is ripping the engine!!
Old 25th September 2020, 21:19   #96
BHPian

Rated your first drive review five stars, GTO sir! Really good and actually quite thorough for a first-drive review. My first response when looking at the new Thar's photos for the first time was, "That grille? It does look slightly awkward." However, this vehicle is otherwise very desirable, and I feel it still might be a decent drive, despite the suggestively scary highway manners. I hope people do understand the mHawk turbo-diesel engine in this is NOT the same one in the Scorpio and XUV5OO (the Thar's engine is a 2184 cc four-cylinder unit, versus the Scorpio/XUV5OO's 2179 cc four-cylinder, with the former having a lower redline). I just wish all us Indian citizens had decent salaries to afford such an indulgence if one wanted to do so.

My father wanted to go for the previous-gen Thar, but the cabin was uncomfortable for him (I didn't get to test-drive it or sit in it, was at school at that time), and Grandma decided the Scorpio will be a better fit for us all. He looks at this version fondly, but I'm sure the upcoming price tag will be a rude surprise for him (though expected for me).

Last edited by BashfulKlutz : 25th September 2020 at 21:22.
BashfulKlutz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 21:47   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note: A reliable birdie tells me that a 4-door Thar is confirmed, but it might be a long wait.
Thank you GTO for the great review.

4-door Thar will definitely attract some more people. At this time absence of rear doors is the deal breaker for me. I can wait for couple of years if Mahindra confirms launching of 4-door version of Thar

Last edited by airbus : 25th September 2020 at 21:50.
Old 25th September 2020, 22:37   #98

Great review @GTO. The standards of reviewing cars that you (and your fellow mods) set are something to aspire to.
I don't know if some other BHPian has done this calculation or not but based on just the types of engine (2), transmission (2) and whether its a hardtop or a softtop or a convertible softtop (3) this Thar can be had in (2×2×3) 12 unique combinations. Add to that, the LX and AX variant, the different paint jobs and the innumerable modifications that each owner will (almost certainly) carry out, each individual Thar will truly be a one-of-a-kind machine. Can't wait for the launch
Old 25th September 2020, 22:47   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a TON, GTO for the initial impressions.

I was of the general opinion that the petrol motor would be rev happy, though looks like it’s not the case. I’m impressed by the fact that Thar is all things that the old gen was not + all things that old gen was.

Will wait for a proper test drive before opting between diesel and petrol.

Also - do you think a proper set of aftermarket shocks can transform the ride and handling of the Thar?
Old 26th September 2020, 00:11   #100
BHPian

Thanks for the astute observations GTO!

While I have been salivating at the prospect of this being my next ride, my wife just torpedoed my dream boat just by saying "a jeep?" . Phew! Going to be an uphill task surely.

Quote:
But after experiencing its ride quality & highway manners, I’ll take mine on the highway just to offroading spots, or nearby destinations like Pawna & Devlali. For longer touring that's 250+ km one way, I’ll stick to my modern sedan.
How I wish it was a capable highway cruiser as well. Would have greatly helped me make my case

Quote:
But let me make it clear that the Thar is NOT for everyone. It is a special vehicle with many talents.
But like you said its talents lie elsewhere. Hope we hear something about them in the full review. Eagerly waiting for that.

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 26th September 2020 at 00:18.
Old 26th September 2020, 05:00   #101
BHPian

Does the new Thar have tilt adjustable steering? Or like the 1st Gen fixed.

Sure GTO would have mentioned if it was available, in the test drive.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 26th September 2020 at 05:18.
Old 26th September 2020, 05:39   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Does the new Thar have tilt adjustable steering? Or like the 1st Gen fixed.

Sure GTO would have mentioned if it was available, in the test drive.
From the tbhp article from August - steering wheel is height adjustable. So yes.
Old 26th September 2020, 07:56   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Team-BHP's full Official Review will be up in a few weeks:
Attachment 2058397
That was a very nice read GTO!
It is like reading a honest professor being asked to submit a report on his favourite student

From what I understand, the "jeep" guys would love to bring the Thar home, and even the car guys would want to try it atleast once. This car is definitely a looker!!
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 10:04   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
Thanks for the astute observations GTO!

my wife ..... just by saying "a jeep?" .
Romeo_Mike : My wife said the Exact Same words - ' A Jeep', but with a yaay ! kind of a tone. Same words

We did a TD of the first gen Thar and my wife had a long test drive in the Bangalore traffic that day. She was so keen to buy it then. The missing creature comforts meant that we gave it a go-by.

Now, even if I tell her that we don't need a Thar, she will simply ignore me and buy one. Ever since the day of the Unveil, i cant recall a day where she hasn't mentioned the word 'Thar'.

I am so wishing for a price that will not make me think twice. The wait continues.
jkrishnakj is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 10:30   #105
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Will the full detailed review also cover the diesel AT? Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed