Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 19:30   #1
BHPian

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update

Hi all, we are the proud and happy owners of a 2020 Hyundai Tucson. We have had the car for about a week now, and this is an initial ownership experience so far. This review also has inputs from my wife. This review will be more of a personal "our experience" thing. For a more objective review, please refer to Team-BHPs detailed and comprehensive review here (2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT).

Summary: we are loving the car so far.

- Car looks gorgeous: she is a beauty in black inside and out
- Spacious: 5 people can sit in comfort, wider than an Innova!
- Many nice features: calling out electric seat adjustments and dual zone AC
- Safe: Full seatbelts for all 5 people, airbags, ESC, ABS, etc. Expect 5* safety rating
- Quiet: excellent noise insulation, helped by the decent music system
- Fun to drive: my wife and me both love to drive it
- Smooth to sit in. Feels like it is gliding over normal roads, can take bad roads easily

Dislikes:
- Expensive! 32L on-road in Bangalore
- Big! Parking (be it my cramped basement or anywhere in Bangalore) is a challenge
- Ergonomics: some of the buttons (Auto Hold, Drive Mode) could be placed better (ideally on the steering)
- Feature misses: no memory seat settings, 360 degree camera, ventilated seats or wireless CarPlay
- Horn: far away from your thumbs and needs a lot of force
- Steering: works fine but a bit too light. Improved in sports mode
- Braking: works fine, but needs a lighter touch (my wife is fine with it though)

History

My 2006 Maruti Swift ZXi was going to turn 15 next year. It was advanced for its time (ABS! Airbags!!) and gave me a good time for a few years. Then, as Bangalore traffic increased, the manual transmission was more and more painful to drive. I wanted a new car. My requirements were:

- Automatic transmission, and no AMT either
- Comfortable to drive - high seats would be good (I have back pain, legacy of an IT job and a lazy lifestyle)
- Should look good and have lots of quality-of-life features
- Should be able to take my whole family in comfort (5 of us), on longer drives also
- Easy to maintain and service
- Latest safety features
- Fuel economy was not a care-about
- Diesel preferred for low-end torque since more of city driving

Looking at all this, I settled on the Kia Seltos. After waiting for a few months to make sure the initial hype had settled and the car was still good, I went for a test drive in February of this year. I loved the looks, I was fine with the test drive. My wife, however, complained that the ride was bumpy (she was sitting in the back) and the rear was cramped with 3 people. I brushed her off saying quoting T-BHP (over-pressured tyres, maybe even change tyres after buying it) and we booked the car (Diesel AT GTX+ or whatever was the highest model). Come March and we got a call from the dealer - "your vehicle is ready". This was the start of the coronavirus and I was thinking that this is going to be bad. So I declined delivery of the car.

Booking the car

In the meantime, my wife started to look around (strangely, she didn't like the looks of the Seltos) and she found the Tucson. The more she saw, the more she liked it. She got in touch with their dealer (Trident Hyundai). They asked us to wait for the facelift, whose launch was imminent. The facelift got delayed due to the lockdown. Finally, the facelift launched in July and it looked good. My wife made good use of this time and convinced me to take a good look at the car. We waited until September and then decided to take a test drive. One drive and we were sold! I have details of the test drive here (Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh). The only question was the colour and the date. We waited until October, closer to the festive season and more importantly, for more restrictions to be lifted. My wife wanted black, so the dealer took us to another showroom to see the colour (which made for a second long test drive). This time, I tried out even more features and I was convinced that this is the car we want. Booked it on the spot. The SA (Mr. Kiran) did a good job of explaining all the features and let me drive the car to my heart's content. I even tried out the manual mode. I got a rough quotation from Trident. They offered to let me take my own insurance if I wanted to. They were also ready to buy my Swift, but asked me to wait until November to get the latest prices. We were quoted a delivery time of 7-8 weeks (so mid to end November).

We did look around a couple of other cars, but rejected them for one or another reason. It's quite possible we just liked the Tucson and found reasons to reject the others.
- Creta: same as Seltos but I didn't like the looks of the new one
- Compass: looks good and probably better to drive, but I wanted more space in the back. After sales service was also a question
- Karoq/Kodiak: too many horror stories of VW/Skoda ASS in T-BHP, I didn't even go near these

Variant details

The Tucson only has 5 variants: Petrol GL(O), Petrol GLS, Diesel GL(O), Diesel GLS, Diesel GLS 4WD.

- Diesel vs. petrol: I wanted a diesel car since my usage would have been primarily city driving with occasional longer trips. Also, the reviews all said that the diesel engine was pretty good compared to the petrol.
- GL(O) vs. GLS: The GLS had only 4-5 features over the GL(O): front parking sensors, powered tailgate, pentaprism LED headlights, electric parking brakes and I think Auto Hold as well. The price difference was about INR 1.2L ex-showroom. I felt it was a bit more than the features were worth, but all the features looked good, so I decided on the GLS.
- 2WD vs. 4WD: my usage is primarily City driving and some long drives. No off-roading, no really extreme weather in Bangalore or nearby states. Even the SA advised us against 4WD.

So the variant we chose was: Hyundai Tucson 2020 Diesel AT 2WD GLS, black colour.

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 21st November 2020 at 22:02.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:36   #2
BHPian

Re: My black Hyundai Tucson 2020 GLS Diesel AT: an initial ownership experience

Delivery experience

We had a smooth and efficient delivery experience. A big thank-you to Mr. Kiran, Mr. Ganesh and Mr. Sharath of Trident Hyundai, KR Puram, Bangalore.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-live_to_drive.jpg

- On Monday, the 9th of November, my wife got a message that the car had been allotted with a screenshot of the VIN. I immediately decoded it and drooled over all the features. The Hyundai VIN decode comes to 3 pages and lists a lot of stuff.

- Called up our SA, Mr. Kiran and asked him to get the ball rolling.

- First step was assessment of our old car. The next day, Mr. Arshad from Trident Hyundai came home and checked out my Swift. He offered me a satisfactory price (I wasn't expecting much, so I was easily satisfied) and I told him we would hand-over the car at the time of delivery of the Tucson.

- Got a quotation from Trident. I had already told them that I would take insurance from them if they gave me a decent price. After some back and forth, we settled on a policy from Bajaj Allianz (we could choose the vendor from their list) which included: Zero-Depreciation, Return To Invoice, Engine Protector and so on. The price was decent. Trident also threw in a small discount from their end as a goodwill offer.

- I started to push the SA to get delivery of the car before Deepavali. For us, that was Saturday, 14th November. The SA told us that full payment had to be made by 12 noon on Thursday in order to get registration done by Friday.

- Not sure of the transfer limits, I transferred 50% of the amount on Wednesday via NEFT and told them I will do the remaining after the PDI.

- On Thursday, the 12th of November, the car reached the showroom and was ready for us to check it out. I took the Excel PDI checklist from Team-BHP and spent an hour "compressing" it to 4 pages and printed it out. I have attached the XLS in case it proves useful to others.

- My wife and I reached the showroom on Thursday morning and spent an hour doing a PDI. Everything looked good, the car was only driven 18 km. We didn't drive the car (other than move it forwards and backwards a little) but checked everything else.

- Paid the remaining amount via NEFT. There was some small confusion when the account department at Trident claimed that the amount didn't reach them by 12 noon. A call to the SA sorted it out (I also sent him the bank SMS showing NEFT credit at 11:25 am).

- On Friday afternoon, we got a call from the Trident representative at the RTO. We had opted for the series number choice (my wife wanted a multiple of 9 for the number). We picked a good number from the list and the number was blocked for us. The rest of the registration process was up to the RTO.

- On Friday evening, I drove down to the showroom in my old Swift, took one last long look at it and went in. There, we signed away our friend of 14 years with a heavy heart. There was a bit of a crowd since it was the day before Deepavali and many folks were awaiting their deliveries. This seemed to be the only Tucson though.

- Mr. Ganesh spent some time explaining all the features (he didn't know that I obsessively read T-BHP and pretty much knew most of it). We did a quick visual inspection of the car, setup the Blue Link application and were ready to go. There were 10 litres of fuel in the tank.

- Drove to the Shell petrol bunk on Old Madras Road, filled her up and came home. First drive was at night in bumper-to-bumper traffic, with rain and slush. Reached home and... parking! My apartment has a very cramped basement and it took me a good 15 minutes to park the car.

- Took a long time to fall asleep that night, felt like I'm 14 and not 40!

Taking Delivery (me on the left):
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-tuscon_delivery.jpg

Pricing

From an ex-showroom price of INR 2556000, we paid a total on-road of INR 3187566. This includes a dealer discount of INR 20000.

We did not opt for any accessories. The dealer gave us a small Ganesha, a car perfume and floor mats. The SA gave us a nice leather bound folio which had the guide for the entertainment system, the service manual and a CD containing the user manual. Luckily, I had purchased a USB DVD drive some time back, so I could access the manual.

Service intervals and warranties

We opted for the 5 year, 50000km warranty (other choices were 3yr/unlimited or 4yr/60000km). Apparently, this is activated at the time of the 1st service.

The service intervals are - 1st service: 2 months or 1200 km. After that: every year or 10000 km. The first four services are free. Wheel alignment and balancing are not part of the deal.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Car-Pre Delivery Inspection.xlsx (17.1 KB, 1206 views)

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 21st November 2020 at 21:54.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 13:15   #3
BHPian

Before driving: parking!

As I have mentioned, I have a very challenging parking space in my apartment basement. I was so worried that I asked the SA (during the test drive) to park the test car in my space and prove to me that it can be done. He made it look so easy!

I have a pillar to my left and another car to my right. Even the ramp into the apartment has only 2-3 inches gap on either side for my car. Thankfully, I have the GLS version with the front sensors. It shows an indication in the MID with three colours - green, yellow and red. It does beep a lot, esp. given the cramped space. Still takes me at least 5-10 minutes and guarantees that my blood pressure will be elevated.

Here are some pictures.

Front view, pillar:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-parking_front_view1.jpg

Front view, car:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-parking_front_view2.jpg

Rear view, pillar:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-parking_rear_view.jpg

Update after a week: I am slowly getting better at parking. The front parking sensors are useful, but I wish they would auto turn-on. Currently, they auto turn-off if you exceed a certain speed. I have to remember to switch them on.

The bottom left one with the P is the front parking sensor. The LED will glow when it is on.
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-mode_buttons.jpg

Some comments on features and stuff that is somewhat parking related.

The side mirrors automatically unfold (and light up) when you approach the car with the key. They fold when the car is locked. This is a very cool and practical feature.

A little story here: This feature worked fine for the first couple of days and then stopped one evening. I was very worried that something had gone wrong and spent an hour walking up and down and searching the internet. Luckily, I figured it out: there is a button on the driver window which controls this: it is set to "auto" by default, but I had (by mistake) moved it. I rushed to the car to test this at 11 in the night and, to my great relief, it worked fine.

The button on top must be at Auto:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-driver_door_controls.jpg

Another time, the mirrors refused to fold again. I was walking away from the car when I turned back and noticed this. Went back and realized that the passenger door was not properly closed. Unlocked it and closed it properly and voila! the mirrors folded back up.

The puddle lamp feature is very useful at night. Interestingly, there is also a cornering light when you are turning. This also turned out to be very useful while parking in my cramped apartment basement at night.

The rear camera is adequate both in the daytime and at night. Can't really say more on the quality since I am coming from a first-generation Swift with no parking sensors or camera, so all I know is that it works. I am still learning the tolerances so that I can park perfectly (What I mean is: the yellow line in the camera picture still reserves a few inches of space). For now, I use the side mirrors as well as the rear camera view to try and park optimally. One feature which would have been useful is - auto turn down the side mirrors when reversing so we can see the body clearly, this is apparently there in some Hyundais sold abroad. For now, I turn it down manually.

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 22nd November 2020 at 18:02.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 14:51   #4
BHPian

Driving

I am a pretty sedate driver and am long past the days of crazy acceleration or high speeds (I did 160kmph on my Accent GLS in 2002 on the empty ring road in Bangalore. Took more than a kilometre to come to a stop from that. Uh, not doing that kind of thing any more sir). Note that I learnt driving on a Premier Padmini and my previous car is a 2006 manual transmission Swift. My wife recently learned driving and is still developing her skills (she drives fine, just needs practice). Kindly keep this in mind as you read our reviews and cut us some slack for just being happy to drive a modern car.

Currently, we have driven about 430km. One long 60km drive - Electronics City elevated expressway start to Zuzuvadi checkpost and back. One long 80km drive (home to north Bangalore, then to Vijayapura and back). Rest in the city.

Driving thoughts:

The car is a joy to drive. My wife loves it - she finds it very easy to drive in stop and go traffic (her max speed so far is 50kmph). She is still not an expert driver and likes to drive cautiously. With the somewhat reduced traffic (though not that much) due to the coronavirus, she is enjoying driving a lot.

My wife enjoying an early morning drive:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-wife_early_morning_drive.jpg

I love it, pretty responsive and smooth. Driving at very slow speeds (like over the three dimensional surface formerly known as Jeevan Bhima Nagar Main Road) is very easy and the car never gets confused about the gear.

Driving on open / smooth roads: you don't even realize that the car is going fast. I was on the elevated expressway, chatting with my co-passengers and suddenly the 80kmph speed warning sounded. I touched 100 for a few seconds before I slowed down and drove at saner speeds. The sport mode in particular feels like the car is just waiting for you to hit the accelerator. Overtaking is very easy, the car has a lot of power in any gear, even at a 100kmph. I plan to test out slightly higher speeds tomorrow in a planned drive. Let's hope my dad doesn't realize the speed.

I was talking to the SA yesterday and he wanted me to try high speed for just a few seconds to check it out (that's my reason and I'm sticking with it). Today, in my second long drive, I just briefly accelerated to 140kmph and immediately slowed down. This was with a full load of 5 people. It was very easy to speed up and easy to slow down. The car felt very stable. The only annoying part was the constant beeping. I won't drive this fast again, so it shouldn't bother me any longer. My dad noticed me driving fast, but didn't realize how fast I drove, so I'm saved.

Steering is great in the city and it's quite easy to manoeuvre the car. I felt that it was too easy, and sometimes wished for it to be a bit stiffer. The sport mode helps here, the steering feels a bit heavier.

The brakes work fine. I felt that they were a bit too stiff, and could have been smoother to engage. My wife is fine with them as they are.

Driving Comfort:

- Coming from a manual drive car, I am trying to adjust my driving posture. I sometimes forget that my left leg should go on the dead pedal. The consequence of this is that my left leg is closer to my body and hence my thigh is not flat against the seat. I need to work on this. Also, my hand sometimes tries to shift the gear. I'm sure I'll get used to this quickly, but I'm (just a little) worried that I will be spoiled and have trouble driving a manual car again.

Very nice dead pedal:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-dead_pedal.jpg

- The driver and passenger seats both have powered seat adjustments. I was initially dismissive of this as an unnecessary feature, but having used it for a while, it's pretty nice.

- I sorely miss a seat position memory feature. My wife and I both use the car and we have to adjust the seats every time. Thankfully, we are both fine with the current recline and height (max height), so we only have to adjust the forwards and backwards part. In an ideal world, we would adjust all these and the steering wheel position too, but now it's too much work.

- Having said all this, the driving position is very nice. I get to sit high up with adequate under-thigh support (I'm 5'11") and am quite comfortable having driven up a couple of hours or so at a time. I do have chronic back pain, so will see how this holds up over a longer drive.

- I use the Auto Hold function while driving in the city. When enabled (a button near the gear selector), you get an indicator in the MID. When you stop (at a signal, say), and hold the brake for a few seconds, the indicator turns green. At this point, you can let go off the brake and the vehicle will hold its position. Hit the accelerator and the vehicle starts moving again. Very nice for long signals, no need to hold the brake. I turn it off while parking, since the system gets annoying then. Also gets annoying in bumper to bumper traffic, you may want to turn it off there.

- I am used to turning off the engine at signals if there is a longer wait time. I'm no longer doing it in this car, not sure if it's a good or a bad thing.

Passenger comfort:

- As a passenger, the car is smooth. Even on Bangalore's bumpy roads, it feels nice. You can feel potholes and uneven roads, but the impact is muted.

- The cabin is very quiet. You can hear the engine but at a low noise level. Outside noises are also muted. If you play any kind of music, then you won't hear much other than the music. My wife enjoys the quiet cabin and refuses to play any music sometimes. The engine does make more noise after a cold start. It becomes quieter once the temperature goes up.

- All three rear passengers have full seatbelts. There is a good amount of rear leg room, even with the front seats pushed back to the limit. There is a hump in the middle, but it was not something my family complained about.

Rear with three passengers:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-rear_seat_comfort1.jpg

Another look for checking out legspace:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-rear_seat_comfort2.jpg

All three passengers have full lap and chest seatbelts:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-rear_seat_comfort3.jpg

- The A/C is dual zone: you can set the driver and passenger zone temperatures separately. I do wonder what happens to the middle passenger in the back? Do they get frozen on one side and roasted on the other? Will need to check this out.. in the name of science. Also, one more wish-list feature for me would be if the car somehow remembers who I am and adjusts not just the seat and steering, but also the A/C temperature. Until then, I must reset it every time my wife drives.

Navigation:

- Navigation can be done via the built-in function (I think it's based on MapMyIndia). One cool and useful feature is that you can use the Blue Link application to send a destination to your car. It comes as a pop-up on the car and you can accept it to set the current destination. I tried this at night when I wanted to make an early morning trip to a relative's house. When I started the car in the morning, the popup came as expected. I believe the maps are downloaded to the car and will work offline as well. I have not tested this, will update if I find out more. For now, I find the maps very useful, since I am quite directionally challenged.

- You can also use Google Maps via Apple CarPlay if that is something you prefer. I can see it being safer if your passenger operates the phone and sets the destination. If you are going for some not-well-known places (like the small hotel I went to today), Google Maps is better.

Mileage:

- This is the current mileage status according to the car. 13kmpl after 400+ km.
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-accumulated_mileage2.jpg

- Some city driving today. Light traffic and slow driving by my better half:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-city_driving_mileage.jpg

- Mileage as of yesterday, before our long drive today.
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-accumulated_mileage1.jpg

- After a nice 60km drive, we could see almost 15kmpl. I actually saw 17kmpl just after the long drive today, but I forgot to capture it :(
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-long_drive1_fe.jpg

Wish-list:

Something that I wish could have been better: the Auto Hold and Drive mode buttons could have been on the steering wheel or thereabouts. They are both buttons that you may want to press while driving. Currently, you have to take your eyes off the road to look down and press them. This is a bit dangerous.

I have driven a friends' Honda Jazz CVT. There, the paddle shifters were almost necessary to do overtakes on the highway. On the Tucson, I have not felt the need to drop gears - the transmission will do it for you when you floor the accelerator pedal. Will update more as I drive more, but so far, I don't see the need for paddle shifters.

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 22nd November 2020 at 18:46.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 15:39   #5
BHPian

Some notes about features and general thoughts

- Steering wheel is stitched leather. Looks great. However, the stitching sometimes hurts my thumbs. I will test this out for some more time. Battle between the stitching and my thumb - either the stitching will get filed away, or my thumb will develop a hole or I will add some tape. Let's see.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-steering_wheel_stitching.jpg

- Was worried about the round steering wheel digging into my leg, and drooled at the flat-bottomed wheel in the Creta. Thankfully, the steering wheel has tilt and telescopic adjustment and so even with the seat at maximum height, I have space between the wheel and my thigh. In other words, no problems with the steering wheel.

- Smart tailgate is a cool feature, which I used for the first few days to "show off" to everyone. Then, I disabled it. I will press the little button on the key, thank you.

- The spacious boot is so useful, esp. coming from my Maruti Swift with its tiny boot. You can easily fit luggage for a family trip in there. It's also good for shopping, although we don't do giant shopping trips given that groceries are within walking distance of our home and Amazon is there for other stuff.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-spacious_boot.jpg

- The boot comes with a luggage net to keep your luggage from moving around. It also comes with a security screen that prevents people from peeking into your boot (and seeing ... messy items? empty boot?). I plan to not use the security screen when (if?) I start to go back to office - we have this stupid security check that looks for who-knows-what in the boot. I'm hoping that the open boot will let me get away with not opening the boot at all. Especially since the boot is not meant to be slammed shut, but closed by pressing a button on the bottom. Let's see.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-boot_privacy_guard.jpg

- There is a decent amount of storage in the car. I haven't really made good use of it yet, other than putting the mandatory sanitization stuff in the front storage.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-front_storage.jpg

- It seems the SAs are well aware of the annoying lock/unlock sounds. During delivery, the SA told me how to disable the sound (hold both the lock and unlock buttons for 4-5 seconds until the car lights blink). I have been enjoying a quiet lock/unlock thus far.

- The fuel inlet has no dedicated button to release it. It is integrated into the central locking and so you just unlock the car and then press the fuel inlet latch to release it. I'm sure I will be explaining this over and over to the fuel pump attendants.

- The panoramic sunroof is great (so far, especially since it's winter). I usually leave it with the glass part visible (for better lighting). I keep forgetting to close the outer part, hopefully I am not compromising on safety.

- The car came with Hyundai mats, they seem to be ok. Will check them out for some time and see how they hold up with the mud and slush.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-rear_carpets.jpg

- The side mirrors auto unfold when you walk up to the car. The puddle lights also come on. Very nice feature. They fold when you lock the car.

- The puddle lamp feature is very useful at night. Interestingly, there is also a cornering light when you are turning. This also turned out to be very useful while parking in my cramped apartment basement at night.

- The rear windshield wiper is very useful. I had it on my old Swift and I'm glad it is present here. I used it on the very first drive of the car back from the showroom to my house. There is also a washer function for the rear wiper, I haven't used it yet.

- The auto headlamps work fine. When I go through the box underpass things (not sure what they are called, the ones that let you take a U-turn under a flyover), they take a second or two to turn on.

- The auto-sensing rain wipers work, tested them on the very first night. For very light rain or mist, you may want to turn them off and just hit the switch manually once in a while.

- The audio system is decent. I am not really a connoisseur of music and I cannot listen to sounds at high volumes, so I can only say that it sounds good at low and medium volumes. The cabin insulation helps here and you can listen to the details in the music easily. I have connected my phone via Bluetooth and can play songs from there. The Apple CarPlay also works seamlessly, and will override the Bluetooth connection. I imagine it would be easy to setup a playlist on Apple Music and then just hit play if you are driving alone. I did try out the radio and it works fine. I haven't yet figured out how to save stations and so on.

- I'm going to be nostalgic for a minute: I used to make CDs with podcasts or music that I wanted to listen to and use them in my old car. Helped a lot in maintaining my cool in the slow and crazy Bangalore traffic. Now the times have changed and it's all streaming music!

- The electronic parking brake is nice. When you are stopped, you put the gear in P and then lift the parking brake lever. The corresponding icon comes on in the MID (you can also hear it). You can then switch off the engine. When you start, you don't have to worry about disengaging it - it will automatically disengage once you come out of P mode.

- The wireless charging works fine on my iPhone 11. If you turn off the car with the phone in the charger, it will chime and give you a warning, reminding you to take out the phone.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-sockets_wireless_charger.jpg

- All the buttons are illuminated in the dark / at night. This is also true for all four windows.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-illuminated_controls.jpg

- The Blue Link app also has an interesting feature where you can remotely start/stop the car. You can set it for 5 to 10 min and also set the A/C temperature. It will start (but not unlock) and pre-cool the car for you. Sounds like something to try in the summer.

Update: it was a hot afternoon today, and the car was parked outside for some hours. The car interior got somewhat hot when we went for a late afternoon drive (I leave the sunroof at the glass part always). I can say that the A/C cooled the car very fast. This is of course not an extreme summer type test, but still might be useful.

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 22nd November 2020 at 18:27.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 18:25   #6
BHPian

That's all for my initial review. Hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I will end with stuff that I am contemplating / working on:

- Tyre inflator: I plan to order a TUSA tyre inflator from Amazon.

- Dashcam: I am thinking about a 70mai pro camera here.

- Ceramic coating: I plan to go to Krithi Car Care sometime in December.

- Mats: I will try out the default Hyundai mats for a while, I have my eye on some Kagu 3D mats.

Procedural stuff pending:

- RC smart card from the RTO

- Insurance NCB transfer from my old car

I plan to drive from Bangalore to Chennai and back next week. Wish me luck!

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 22nd November 2020 at 18:27.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 05:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

re: My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:25   #8
BHPian

re: My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update

The Tucson is an underrated car. I was relieved to see someone buying a different car after the seas of Seltos, Creta etc ownership threads. The Diesel AT combination is one of the best and the black colour adds to the the character of the car.
All the best
Sreesh
Sreesh1009 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

I really like the Tucson. Tucson with its 2 litre diesel has always been on my radar

I was in the market to purchase Skoda Karoq, it didnt have any diesel options, but wasnt too keen to take the plunge away from VW stable.

With the onset of CoVID, car purchase has been suspended indefinitely.

Love the black color, suits the car very well. Congratulations !
F150 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:43   #10
BANNED

Great decision to buy the Tucson bud!

Somehow this car didn't get the appreciation it well deserved from the Indian customers. Probably due to its high price. As per me the Tucson is definitely worth the price it demands. Your black car looks an absolute stunner and I am guessing that it would be turning many heads on the roads. Diesel + AT is a match made in heaven and Hyundai has just nailed this combination with this one.

Congratulations buddy,
I had just one question though - Are the brakes in the Tucson good? (Cause I have been reading quite a few horror stories of Hyundai/Kia brakes).

Wish you many happy miles with your new car.
Thanks.
Tachyonites is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! The car looks great.

I love the more expansive offerings of Hyundai. They are top notch products with impressive reliability, comfort and features. Even the A.S.S experience is better than most.
Too bad people dont consider them more often.
My association with the brand goes back to 2002/03 when they came with their first Sonata Gold. I still have a Sonata in my garage touching 2L kms and going strong. It was far superior to the Camry and the Superb of that time.

The new Tucson is a complete car and would serve you well for years. With the newer looks and the updated interiors it looks different and is more upmarket from the smaller Creta now.

Enjoy your ownership.

Last edited by bigron : 23rd November 2020 at 09:57.
bigron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
My association with the brand goes back to 2002/03 when they came with their first Sonata Gold. I still have a Sonata in my garage touching 2L kms and going strong. It was far superior to the Camry and the Superb of that time.
That warrants a long overdue long term ownership report, no?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
With the onset of CoVID, car purchase has been suspended indefinitely.
Thank you. I too pushed out my car purchase by half a year due to Covid. I do find one good thing about buying it now - there is less traffic (though not as good as during the lockdown) these days and so it's a bit more pleasurable to drive here and there. Naturally, I am still trying to minimize my risk and only visit relatives or take parcel from restaurants, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
Congratulations buddy,
I had just one question though - Are the brakes in the Tucson good? (Cause I have been reading quite a few horror stories of Hyundai/Kia brakes)
Thank you. My wife gets all the credit for making me buy the Tucson and that too in black.

Regarding the brakes: they work fine in all the driving I have done so far. No hint of any issues. In city driving, the brakes work fine, my wife is quite comfortable with them. I even touched 140 on the highway (just to test it), and immediately slowed down to 80. I didn't hard brake (since the car was full with family), but the car responded very well and slowed down smoothly and in a straight line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Congratulations! The car looks great.
My association with the brand goes back to 2002/03 when they came with their first Sonata Gold. I still have a Sonata in my garage touching 2L kms and going strong.
Thank you. My first car was a Hyundai Accent GLS in green colour, which I had from 2001 to 2006. I really enjoyed that car and had a fuss-free ownership. Exchanged it for the Swift, for really no other reason than "wanted a shiny new thing".

Please do write a long-term ownership report on your Sonata. I would be very happy to read that.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:40   #14
NTO
BHPian

Congratulations on the "Black" Tucson and wish you a lot of happy miles with the car. It is a very underrated car and a true premium offering from Hyundai. The black color further adds to the premium appeal of the car!

A few things like the ventilated seats and memory function in the seats are conspicuous by their absence. Considering the fact that the cheaper Creta has got the ventilated seats makes us ask the question why not on the Tucson. 32 lacs is definitely big money and the only other true contender is the Compass. However, the Tucson feels much more premium and I am sure the ASS experience of Hyundai will definitely be better compared to Jeep.

The looks from the front (with the new headlamp), the new gearbox and the connected car tech makes the facelift a definite step-up from the pre facelift model.

Congratulations once again and drive safe :-)

Last edited by NTO : 23rd November 2020 at 10:44.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:48   #15
BHPian

What a great ownership review! Simple, free flowing and lucid language! Congratulations QuadraticAmoeba on making a great choice. Wishing you many years of fuss free and enjoyable ownership.
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed