Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 22:46   #31
BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

Congrats on owning the Beast!! Nice to know there is a Thar in Coimbatore!
It looks beautiful in black, I applaud you taking the risk in Coimbatore weather! Did you take the delivery from the Hopes Dealership? I heard they were closing down and a new one was coming up.

Happy to know the company is proactively taking care of the initial issues without much fuss. Are the lights coming when the engine is warmed up or in cold start? Usually, these lights tend to disappear when the engine warms up.

Cheers
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 23:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

Superb one. Read in one go and is almost giving me a feeling of driving one. I’m still in the waiting mode and hope to lay my hands on a Black one by mid Jan.

I just arrived at Coimbatore and I’ll be visiting someone at Singanallur sometime tomorrow. I’ll keep my eyes open to see if I get to spot your car around those areas.

Wishing you several lakh smiles with your Thar.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 23:48   #33
BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations on getting home the beast! The Napoli Black colour on the Thar looks smashing and is really a head turner. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your detailed review and particularly the precision and specific details with which you described your entire journey. This thread would be really helpful to anyone who is considering to buy this. Wishing you many miles on the Thar!
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 00:01   #34
BHPian

Congrats @ph03n!x for getting the new beast!

I am planning to change my car swift diesel soon.
I'm so much obsessed with the new Thar that I am trying to convince my wife!

Mostly my travels are 450+ kms (Blr to Madurai) with wife and my kid.

Wanted to know if the ride quality on highways (mostly 4 laned roads) is manageable by family members? (mainly the tiredness after the long travel)
nax04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:53   #35
BHPian

Re: First Service, and Major Niggle #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Let this be a PSA for all 2020 Thar Owners - the user manual says this:[/left]

Specify to your SA and car wash guys at the dealership NOT to wash the engine bay or underbody with pressurized water!

I do not know if that is what happened to my Thar - while I was in the service center, I was not standing next to the Thar all the time. But then how is the error disappearing after 3 days, only to be back on the 5th day?

Anyway, I hope this is just a hiccup, and I will back on the roads (or hills - which is what I wanted to do this weekend) soon!
Thanks for the detailed write up of the ownership. Regarding the cleaning part, you are absolutely right. When I gave for 1000km service of my Bolero, I noticed that they are pressure washing the engine bay of other cars. I stood there and made sure they dont do the same to my car. Infact I have penned the experience in this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4919329 (How to Clean the Engine Bay?).

I am not sure who started this stupid trend!
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:03   #36
BHPian

Congratulations @ph03n!x for the beast.
All I hope that you'd go to new destinations and make friends with new people and know the world more.
May you have safe and exciting adventures that would bring happiness in your life!
satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:24   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (3)

Wow, what a perfect description.
You got some serious writing skills, really enjoyed it.
You should write a book someday.
rohanhsaraf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:55   #38
BHPian

Congratulations ph03n!x on the new Thar ! Wishing you many years of joy on it. Really enjoyed your posts especially about how you booked it !
Hope your water in fuel issue gets sorted out soon. Please post more photos of your Thar - love the new one in Black.
Have you driven with the top open yet - it will be a mind blowing experience.
sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 19:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Let me move on to how I ended up with a Thar now...

Thank you ph03n!x for sharing your experience. You have a great sense of humour, loved reading each line.

The part of sharing the ride quality is what I'm looking into every post, thanks for sharing it. I have a few queries.

1. My Suzuki Ritz is a tall boy sort of and thanks to it almost trapezoid structure, even at 110kmph I can do a long curve and have confidence that it won't topple. I know sometimes that I'm pushing it to the edge of stability, do you think Thar too will be able to take such curves?

2. When I travel between Coimbatore and Chennai and especially the road between Salem & Ulundurpet, the road keeps switching between four lanes and two lanes. At times I have to make a sudden brake while in the middle of the overtake and have to pull back into the lane. Once I saw an Omni almost losing control while making such a move, do you think Thar too will face such a problem?

3. Does your Thar maintain steady line or keep wandering off while in a straight road. I keep reading that this is an issue with Thar due to the body on frame.

4. Shanthi Social Service is my go-to fuel bunk since I visit around the Ramanathapuram Signal once in a few months. Is there any Shell bunk you have seen around?
PS: I'm from Coimbatore, but due to my work I stay in Chennai or Bangalore.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 20:07   #40
BHPian

Re: Initial Driving Experience, 'Aftermarket' visits and then some

Quote:
After gloating over the new acquisition over the weekend, the first stop was the nearby 3M. The agenda is under-carriage coating and Paint Protection Film (PPF). I wanted the PPF to be on the hood, fenders, door edges and handles for all 3 doors, and door sills (that is not covered by the "Thar" branded official accessory). I did not want to touch the grill (not yet!). The work started at about 1 PM and went till about 8 PM! Here are some photos of the work in progress -

[center]Attachment 2088079

Attachment 2088080

Attachment 2088081
Quick question on the ppf. Any reason you went with ppf and not a ceramic coating. And any details of which ppf did you opt for, cost and any other consideration. Any concerns of discoloration of ppf overtime.

I would be interested to get some good protection for my Thar when it comes next year, so your inputs are very much valuable.

Keep enjoying the beast.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:53   #41
BHPian

Congratulations! on earning the Beautiful Beast!!
I wanted to have one as my daily driver, but little hesitant to get one from the first lot. waiting for a year to move. Your review has only increased the confidence level.

Enjoy your black beauty!!
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 23:10   #42
rpm
BHPian

Absolutely loved your style of writing. Had me enthralled right till the last word! Black is definitely the colour that my heart also longs for but is difficult to justify to the brains. Congrats on your new acquisition and happy motoring
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread and a big thumb's up for the effort you have put it in penning this down.

I am too lazy to do such an extensive write up.

I also got my Thar pretty much same time as you although my serial number is another 1000 over your number.

I have done nearly 1200 km's and also had the first service done.

2 questions for you -

1/ Why did you get the Oil and filter changed ?
2/ What did the PPF cost you ?

We can share niggles and questions here and keep in touch in regards to the vehicle since I guess it is nearly the same batch or there about.

Happy driving
Old 7th December 2020, 15:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have been maintaining radio silence over the weekend, not because I was busy or anything but the opposite. I had nothing to do or say, not until my Thar is returned after changing the fuel filter kit. If Mahindra made us look forward eagerly on to a dry day (August 15th) to the next (October 2nd), my Thar made me look forward to the next weekday, from a Friday

After counting seconds in the morning, I thought I would call my service advisor at about 10:30 AM, so as not to seem all to eager. But surprise, surprise! He called me at 10:22 AM - I have received phone calls about exam results, reciprocation of love, outcome of business proposals, doctor's opinion on a near/ dear's health, etc. The expectation, eagerness, nervousness to hear him out is probably only next to those calls.

And thankfully, it was all good news - the fuel filter kit had arrived as expected, and they are going ahead with the replacement. They will test the replacement and will send it to me after a wash. And at about 1 PM, it got delivered home - back to pouncing strength.

I have not driven out anywhere, that may have to wait till the weekend - watch this space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
Did you take the delivery from the Hopes Dealership? I heard they were closing down and a new one was coming up.

Are the lights coming when the engine is warmed up or in cold start? Usually, these lights tend to disappear when the engine warms up.
Thanks! No indication of closing down, CAI is the only dealership that is serving not just Coimbatore, but Pollachi, Tirupur, Erode, Ooty and Sathy too. I doubt they will be closing down, but lets see.

The warning lights used to stay on, and never go off if it comes on. Fixed now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I just arrived at Coimbatore and I’ll be visiting someone at Singanallur sometime tomorrow. I’ll keep my eyes open to see if I get to spot your car around those areas.
Thanks mate! Let me know if you are still around - I didn't have the Thar over the weekend, and hence the mum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nax04 View Post
I am planning to change my car swift diesel soon.
I'm so much obsessed with the new Thar that I am trying to convince my wife!

Mostly my travels are 450+ kms (Blr to Madurai) with wife and my kid.

Wanted to know if the ride quality on highways (mostly 4 laned roads) is manageable by family members? (mainly the tiredness after the long travel)
Compared to a Swift, you will have lesser boot space, rear seat comfort (for adults - esp. long journeys. Kids will be fine), and of course much less mileage on the highways. Your highway speeds will also be lower, and you will have to plan for road undulations, sharp curves (like the one where the Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri ghat section ends near Thoppur) - essentially understand the limits of the Thar. "Manageable" is something your family should tell you after test drive, but my wife (sitting front) did not complain after a Coimbatore - Madras round trip! And we were not really tired, not anymore than what we would have been in another car. Do note that it will take more time to reach your destination (because you will be driving a notch slower), and that may cause you to get tired or drowsy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Please post more photos of your Thar - love the new one in Black.
Have you driven with the top open yet - it will be a mind blowing experience.
Thanks mate! I will post some over the weekend, hopefully in the habitat the Thar belongs! I have not driven with the top open - just opened it a couple of times to excite the kids (both young and old!), but that should happen over the weekend too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
1. My Suzuki Ritz is a tall boy sort of and thanks to it almost trapezoid structure, even at 110kmph I can do a long curve and have confidence that it won't topple. I know sometimes that I'm pushing it to the edge of stability, do you think Thar too will be able to take such curves?

2. When I travel between Coimbatore and Chennai and especially the road between Salem & Ulundurpet, the road keeps switching between four lanes and two lanes. At times I have to make a sudden brake while in the middle of the overtake and have to pull back into the lane. Once I saw an Omni almost losing control while making such a move, do you think Thar too will face such a problem?

3. Does your Thar maintain steady line or keep wandering off while in a straight road. I keep reading that this is an issue with Thar due to the body on frame.

4. Shanthi Social Service is my go-to fuel bunk since I visit around the Ramanathapuram Signal once in a few months. Is there any Shell bunk you have seen around?
PS: I'm from Coimbatore, but due to my work I stay in Chennai or Bangalore.
Thanks! Let me go one by one -

The difference between your Ritz and the Thar is chalk and cheese. The Ritz is still a monocoque while the Thar is ladder-frame. Ritz has decent tarmac-oriented suspension, while the Thar's is oriented towards articulation. Practically, if you are taking a road at 110 in your Ritz, you will probably do 70 to 90 in the Thar - no, it probably wont topple beyond that too, but any undulations (or a jumping jack) can make you lose control easily because you can swerve and correct in the Thar like you can in the Ritz - it just does not like sudden change of directions. If you want a sample, test drive the Thar is Coimbatore, between Singanallur signal and Ramanathapuram signal. There is a minor undulation on the road near TVH - and you will see how the Thar behaves at 50 to 60 KMPH there, while other cars will just glide over.

I did not find any such issue, and the scenario happened probably because of an inexperienced Omni driver who would have turned the steering in panic even while he was braking. The Thar is pretty composed in such scenarios - but then, you will not venture into such overtakings unless you have a clear line of sight of the road ahead while in the Thar - it is better to drive it sedately and enjoy the view.

It keeps a steady line - and it has nothing to do with ladder frame/ monocoque. Even my XUV5OO was pulling to the left when it was delivered, and needed alignment and balancing right out of the showroom. My Thar maintains a straight line nicely.

There is one Shell bunk in Kuniyamuthur, which is functioning. There is also more that is yet to be opened in Kamarajar Salai (which connect Singanallur Jn. with Hopes), but that is not opened yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Quick question on the ppf. Any reason you went with ppf and not a ceramic coating. And any details of which ppf did you opt for, cost and any other consideration. Any concerns of discoloration of ppf overtime.
I chose PPF for the hood and fenders as the purpose it to protect the painted surfaces from stones that would fly from the wheels of other vehicles (or even lorries that showcase what they are carrying) that would end up chipping the hood, especially during highway runs. I don't think ceramic coating will help here, I would probably do it for the remaining surfaces (which is only a wee bit - 3 doors and the rear panel!).

I have used PPF in my earlier cars, and as all of them are black, I've never seen any discolorations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
1/ Why did you get the Oil and filter changed ?
2/ What did the PPF cost you ?

We can share niggles and questions here and keep in touch in regards to the vehicle since I guess it is nearly the same batch or there about.
Thanks mate! It has been some journey so far, alright!

Oil and filter change - that is a force of habit, and I do that for all my cars. If there are slivers of metal from the new engine (and rear differential, in this case) setting in, it is better to have the oil (which will then keep circulating with the slivers) and the filter (which will be accumulating the slivers) changed. For me, this is only a theory, and as it is not an expensive affair, didn't other validating it! I also have this habit of changing the oils and filter midway between services

The PPF was about 30k (incl underbody coating with 2 years warranty, and taxes). I think it was about 570 per sf. ft, and we used 45 or 46 sq.ft for the hood, fenders, door edges and under the handles (all 3 doors), and door sill for the front two doors.

Sure! So far my niggles (and status) have been -
  1. Water-in-Fuel - Resolved, after replacing the fuel filter unit free of cost
  2. No ignition when the key is turned - happened couple of times, had to move the auto tranny from P to R and back to P. Saw an error code on this, which showed the status as Healed
  3. Speedo/ Tacho/ MID shutting off and turning back on while driving - this happened once, and was almost immediate (would have missed it had I looked elsewhere for a sec). Saw an error on Battery Management System with status as healed
  4. Bluetooth acting up at times - not sure if this is a safety feature that even paired devices will not connect if the Thar is in motion, have to observe this a bit
  5. ICE will start with zero volume even if it was turned off otherwise. This is intermittent, will have to observe this a bit more
Except for #1, all were minor and didn't cause a concern.
ph03n!x is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 19:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi Phoenix - Quick question, what did it cost you for the PPF please? I was at the 3M centre at the Avanashi Road outlet at Coimbatore, and the rate was around 550 / sq ft.

( PS : I returned to Bangalore this morning. I shall be there around Pongal and hope to catch your car and you then )
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks