Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2023, 13:47   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Do share the review of your Ironman suspension once you put it through its paces. Good choice.
Not sure if you were referring to some other car, but my car has stock suspension. I don't have plans to change for now, as I find stock suspension pretty good for the use case.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 15:03   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Not sure if you were referring to some other car, but my car has stock suspension. I don't have plans to change for now, as I find stock suspension pretty good for the use case.
Oh I saw a white fortuner with a similar red strip on the grill getting an Ironman upgrade. Thought it was yours.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 22:05   #153
Senior - BHPian

Last week got custom(or modified) regen mode enabled. Not all sales advisor are aware but technicians know. It's a simple checkbox exercise if I am not wrong. With custom mode, I can initiate manual regen even when DPF is at 1 bar. Transmission has to be at P to initiate and regen continues even if you start driving.

Post this Auto regen got triggered at 4 bars as usual. Pressing the button when parked shows , manual regen now available.

2+ years and 31K KMs

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20230324_140100463.night.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:41   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Last week got custom(or modified) regen mode enabled. Not all sales advisor are aware but technicians know. It's a simple checkbox exercise if I am not wrong. With custom mode, I can initiate manual regen even when DPF is at 1 bar. Transmission has to be at P to initiate and regen continues even if you start driving.

Post this Auto regen got triggered at 4 bars as usual. Pressing the button when parked shows , manual regen now available.

2+ years and 31K KMs

Attachment 2433067
How is this custom regeneration done? Is it possible for the innova crysta too?
Old 19th April 2023, 06:23   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i View Post
As per Toyota, custom mode is available for all BS6 diesel cars, so I assume this is available for innova too. I guess, it's just a option to enable in techstream .

Once enabled, you can initiate regen as low as 1 bar. The car has to be in P mode to initiate.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 14:23   #156
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulation on your milestone!

Does the manual regen take proportionately same time as auto regen? DPF system has been working flawlessly for me in 25k kms so far but I think this custom mode is super useful so I will also get this modification done. I just hope nothing breaks down while trying to fix something that is not broken
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 14:33   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i View Post
Basically the DPF regen switch in default mode only allows regeneration after the auto regeneration threshold is about to be breached, at 70% soot accumulation. But in the custom mode, the switch will allow you to trigger regen from 10% Soot accumulation itself. Best reference here:
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-capture.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Does the manual regen take proportionately same time as auto regen? DPF system has been working flawlessly for me in 25k kms so far but I think this custom mode is super useful so I will also get this modification done.
If you have already used the car for 25k kms without having the need to regenerate DPF manually or forcibly at the dealer, then this wont make any difference. Too frequent regeneration is also not a good thing for the DPF. So regen has to be triggered only when its in the middle of being clear and fully clogged. Thats why auto regen usually triggers from 30% soot accumulation. The duration of regen is somewhat relative to the amount of soot accumulation. If the DPF is heavily clogged it will take more than 20 mins to complete whereas the auto regens that are triggered in my car last ten minutes at the most.

Last edited by audioholic : 24th April 2023 at 14:34.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 17:05   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Congratulation on your milestone!

Does the manual regen take proportionately same time as auto regen? DPF system has been working flawlessly for me in 25k kms so far but I think this custom mode is super useful so I will also get this modification done. I just hope nothing breaks down while trying to fix something that is not broken
I have clocked now about 8K after enabling custom mode. Auto regen is working as before, usually at around 200KM mark. Custom mode is helpful while going to high altitude place. Do the manual regen before hitting high altitude pass and you won't have DPF clogging issue once you reach high altitude pass. For regular usage, custom mode is not needed if you had no issues so far.

During my trip i triggered manual regen thrice- twice before Sela pass and once before Bumla pass. Spoke to drivers of Toyota/Tata/Mahindra, and many have reported issues. Custom mode helps you plan your trip and avoid problems to greater extent. Once back in plains, I never had to do manual regens.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 19:06   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

If you have already used the car for 25k kms without having the need to regenerate DPF manually or forcibly at the dealer, then this wont make any difference.
Thanks. I agree but as PrideRed mentioned it gives you flexibility to plan high mountain passes where I think the manual mode is very helpful. So far in 25k kms, max altitude that I have done is about 8-10,000 ft and there was absolutely no issue with regens at these levels. I am worried about places like Umling La etc which are way above 15,000 ft. So I will also get this setting done before my next Ladakh trip.

Quote:
Custom mode is helpful while going to high altitude place. Do the manual regen before hitting high altitude pass and you won't have DPF clogging issue once you reach high altitude pass.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. This helps a lot.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 21:20   #160
Senior - BHPian

40K service update

Had taken Fortuner for a road trip to Arunachal. In addition, routine trips to home meant car covered 10K KM quite quickly. Me, wife, kids (3Y and 6Y) had a memorable trip , will try to compile a travelogue sometime. Fortuner is a lovely car for touring, was a bit apprehensive about DPF, thanks to custom mode by Toyota, a bit of planning and Fortuner conquered high altitude passes without issues. Roads, no roads, 4 lane, 2 lane nothing bothered us, car did perform brilliantly while offering good levels of comfort. After driving for 7-8 Hrs, we had energy to roam places and stay awake till 11PM. Extra space kept kids comfortable at back and third row seats were folded to make way for luggage. During travel the last thing we were concerned about was about road conditions. Unplanned detours, exploring remote places, we did not have to think twice if car could take us! Overall covered about 8K KMs and got FE of 11.5KMPL.

Coming back to 40K service, this was a major service, got car serviced at United Toyota Puttur. Was not forced for any value added stuff and only what is mentioned in manual was included. 40K service included oil change, filter replacement, differential oil(4WD specific). During return journey there was a bit of wobbling while braking at high speeds, hence decided to get disks skimmed as well. AdBlue had to be refilled , car gulped about 9L. Front brake pads may last another 1-2K KM as per service advisor. Haven't replaced this service, probably will do at around 41K KM, brake pads costs 7K plus tax and labour. Alignment, balancing and rotation was already done outside hence did not opt for same. Total bill came to 16K which included 2K for skimming and 1K for AdBlue.

There were lot of tar deposits, scratches and few stains. Got the car detailed at Mangalore. Opted for ceramic coating and interior cleanup. Happy with outcome and good to see car clean. Another major expense pending are tires, tires look good for another 6-10K KM. I am thinking of switching for AT as HT options are limited and good HTs are expensive.

Enroute to Bumla

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img20230415wa00592.jpg

Random shots post detailing

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20230503_1306031692.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20230503_1253549112.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 16:16   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Basically the DPF regen switch in default mode only allows regeneration after the auto regeneration threshold is about to be breached, at 70% soot accumulation. But in the custom mode, the switch will allow you to trigger regen from 10% Soot accumulation itself. Best reference here:
Attachment 2443490
Can you please share the link of this page?
Old 20th June 2023, 17:22   #162
Senior - BHPian

Got the front brake pads replaced with 41K KM on ODO. May be the pads would have lasted another 1-2K but did not want to take chance and replaced . Thickness was at around 2.5mm . Rear brakes are at 6mm. Brake pads costed 7800+ taxes and labour, total charges came to 10.5K. There are quite a few after market options which are cheaper, since the car is under warranty, decided to stick to OEM.

Some of the parts and servicing cost have increased. Regular 10K service costs 11-12K while major service like 40K costs around 14K. The Innova we have, costs about 20% cheaper to service, not being a 4x4 helps a bit. The costs are probably slightly higher but then a small hatchback 40K service costs around 6-7K or more!
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 18:38   #163
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend drove to Guruvayur, Athirapally and Munnar. Monsoon makes this place magical and was quite some years I visited Munnar. Initial plan was to start on Thursday and take Coimbatore route to Guruvayur. Last minute change and we started on Wednesday and drove to Mysore. Thursday morning had breakfast at GTR and took Bandipur - Gudalur- Nilambur to reach Guruvayur. It was raining post Gudalur and roads were mostly good with few bad patches here and there. Reached Guruvayur at around 3PM. It was late evening by the time we wrapped up and decided to stay at Guruvayur. Next day we didn't have a plan and started post breakfast. Decided to do a leisurely drive to Munnar . Given it was Monsoon, decided to visit Athirapally, Vazanchal falls. Place wasn't very crowded and spent sometime near falls. From Athirapally, took oil palm plantation route which passes through palm and rubber tree plantation. Though scenic , road conditions were very poor. Apart from 4-5 vehicles, there wasn't much vehicle movement for about 30-40KM. We reached Malayatoor before hitting Aluva Munnar road. Reached Munnar at around 4PM.

The place where we stayed had about 1KM drive with steep road. While the road had tarmac, wet road, 500NM torque and almost end of life tires, the traction control system was blinking often during the climb. While in Munnar, we did not want to visit touristy places, instead went for drive towards Kallar estate, Kolukkumalai etc. The weather was superb with mist and drizzle throught the day.

For return leg, took Theni-Dindigul-Salem route which was good and uneventful. Lockhart section was mesmerizing and roads were fantastic.

Pictures from drive

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img20230630wa0032.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img20230630wa0025.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img20230630wa0031.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20230702_023157277.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20230702_023112301.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20230701_110701067.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20230701_110933053.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img20230630wa0029.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 22:31   #164

That’s a sweet ride and I love the mods that you have done. Can you please clarify 1) the range of AdBlue that you are getting now and 2) what’s the general range the Auto Regen occurs.
I am facing high consumption of AdBlue, so hoping to get some idea here, thanks.
Old 10th August 2023, 10:27   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chennai14 View Post
That’s a sweet ride and I love the mods that you have done. Can you please clarify 1) the range of AdBlue that you are getting now and 2) what’s the general range the Auto Regen occurs.
I am facing high consumption of AdBlue, so hoping to get some idea here, thanks.
Thank you. After filling to the brim, I get 2400KM warning after doing about 4-5K KM's. May be 5.5K at times but don't remember warning coming beyond 5.5K. Generally regen happens anywhere between 150-250KM mark. However when driven only within city/poor diesel have seen regen happen at 100KM interval too.

Few things that I have observed that can change the AdbLue Consumption:

1. Quality of diesel is important. With Xtragreen on highway regen happens every 200-250KM . With regular diesel its interval reduces to 150-200KM mark with same driving conditions. With some fuel stations at new place I have seen regen happening at 100KM interval too.

2. Driving at higher RPM's/pedal to metal usually results in frequent regens/higher AdbLue consumption.

3. Consumption is more at higher altitudes.

Its an added expense, but filling is breeze now. 5L can, a plastic mug and funnel, top up takes less than 5 min

Hope this helps.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks