Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 16:48   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review

Got the steering wheel replaced under warranty. While the crack/scratch was minor and barely noticeable, decided to change as there is a possibility that the crack might expand. Warranty claim was easy, dealership took few pics shared with TKM. Claim was approved within 2 days and part was ordered. Part came in another two days and went on a weekend to get steering replaced. Took about 4 hours to replace.

The wood on the new steering has matte finish in same color. The leather somewhat feels a bit softer, not significantly different.

I had asked if TKM could replace with Hilux steering, which does not get any wood inserts, but was refused. Though minor, didn't expect to crack so early but on the positive side, replacement was hassle free. Again had a very good experience at Nandi Toyota Banaswadi, who were supportive right from the beginning.

Kids managed to break the fuse of 12V charger, when they accidently put in some metal piece. The front 12V socket too lost power immediately. There are atleast 3 fuse box, the one for electricals is under glove box. The one in hood has spares, replaced the 12V charger specific fuse(15A), which was under glove box. Got a new spare for Rs 65 including tax.

New steering wheel
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20220917_092740970.jpg

Last edited by PrideRed : 19th September 2022 at 16:54.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 18:12   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Got the steering wheel replaced under warranty.
Thank you for the update. By any chance do you have a picture of the crack, just so we are aware of what to watch out for ? Mine does not have a crack yet, but I am tempted by your replacement matt finish steering wheel. I will prefer that to the glossy wood finish that it originally came with. Makes me wish my car's steering wheel cracks too
Old 19th September 2022, 19:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Thank you for the update. By any chance do you have a picture of the crack, just so we are aware of what to watch out for ? Mine does not have a crack yet, but I am tempted by your replacement matt finish steering wheel. I will prefer that to the glossy wood finish that it originally came with. Makes me wish my car's steering wheel cracks too
Here you go. It's not visible much during daylight and need some focused light. Cannot be felt through fingers but you can feel with nails. You may not see it unless you focus

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20220902_154322414.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 08:44   #124
BHPian

@PrideRed - Quick question. I recall one of your earlier posts about driving in 4H. Can we engage 4H in usual highway driving during rain? Or is it a strict No? Also, the manual says we can drive up to 100 KMPH speed. Any experience or tips to share? Will be a great help!

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th September 2022 at 09:01. Reason: typos
Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 15:58   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
@PrideRed - Quick question. I recall one of your earlier posts about driving in 4H. Can we engage 4H in usual highway driving during rain? Or is it a strict No? Also, the manual says we can drive up to 100 KMPH speed. Any experience or tips to share? Will be a great help!
If at any point, you feel loss of traction at wheel, 4H can be engaged. However in normal-heavy rain, may not advisable to engage 4H as wheels have traction. You may use 4H possibly when there is standing water on road, which may make the road slippery.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 19:50   #126
Senior - BHPian

Dasara vacation and was long time since we hit highway(other than Bangalore-Mangalore). Did a 1500KM travelling across 3 states.

Day 1: Aihole, Pattadakal and Badami. Took Bangalore-Hospet-Ilkal-Aihole. Road was fantastic and could easily maintain average speed of 85Km/Hr. Anand Vihar restaurant on Chitradurga-Hospet road was quite nice. Despite monsoon receding, landscape was beautiful with greenery everywhere. While Aihole was ok experience, Pattadkal and Badami were fantastic. Again road from Aihole to Pattadkal and then Badami was fantastic.

Day 2: Initial plan was to stay at Badami for 2 days. But we wrapped up Badami caves/Agasthya lake too on day 1. Plan was to drive to Belgaum and then head to Goa via Amboli. On the way we saw directions to Gokak and decided to visit Gokak falls. Decent place and the old textile factory right opposite falls was nice too. The route from Gokak to Amboli was bad. We travelled via Sankeshwar-Gandhinglaj and then Amboli. Roads were bad but not much of a problem for Fortuner. Did jump through few potholes and road humps too. Had lunch at a Khanavali which I was told is 75+ years old. Decent food nothing great though .

Somewhere before joining the Belgaum-Amboli highway, found a nice pristine lake which also had a nice track on the edge. After driving for a while, found that road leads no where and returned back to lake shore. The grass was slippery and had to engage 4H. Spent an hour enjoying the beauty of the lake and also a quick nap. Kids had a gala time playing around. Headed to Goa via Amboli and found a nice spot to click some pics at Sawantwadi. Reached Mandrem by 5PM.

Day 3 Spent most of time at beach and exploring places around in a RWD Honda(AKA Dio).

Day 4: Had a booking at a homestay at Gokarna, plan was to skip if the place was not good. Fortunately homestay was good and decided to stay. Road was good except we got some traffic near Panjim. Post Margao, was stopped by police was overspeeding on highway. I was doing 81 against 70KM/HR limit. Paid the fine and proceeded to Gokarna. Roads again are fantastic. To me Goa-Mangalore is one of the most enjoyable roads among all the roads that I have driven in India. Despite travelling over zillion times, never get bored of this route.

Day 5: Uneventful and drive back home via Mangalore. Road until Mangalore is good. There is road construction happening around Kalladka.

Car stats
Overall fuel efficiency was around 11.5KMPL.
Regen used to happen every 300KM when I had Xtragreen and every 150-200KM after refilling at Nayara.
31 PSi was maintained against recommended 29PSi. With dampers settling down, find 29 too soft for my liking.
25K on ODO and tires look good for another 25K KM more.

Some phone shots of the car from the drive.

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221002_0810287752.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221002_1055375892.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221001_045406423.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221002_121414091.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221001_0448285302.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221002_0426165532.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221002_0416249792.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221005_0834138142.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pxl_20221002_1048059613.jpg

Drive around the lake

PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 07:37   #127
BHPian

Quote:
To me Goa-Mangalore is one of the most enjoyable roads among all the roads that I have driven in India. Despite travelling over zillion times, never get bored of this route.
Same feeling here. Beautiful road along the coastline with fantastic views, nice restaurants and temples.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 18:10   #128
BHPian

I recently bought Fortuner 4x4 AT and overall I am pretty happy with it. Just a doubt which I wanted to clarify here with other owners / members. When we shift from P to R or D, firstly there's a slight jerk which I assume to be pretty normal.

But what I am confused about is the [somewhat] big noise that you hear when you are changing the drive modes. It's not that audible inside the cabin. But let's say you stand outside and ask someone to change the drive modes, the noise it makes, is that normal?

Thanks.
sumalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 22:48   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumalkar View Post
I recently bought Fortuner 4x4 AT and overall I am pretty happy with it. Just a doubt which I wanted to clarify here with other owners / members. When we shift from P to R or D, firstly there's a slight jerk which I assume to be pretty normal.

But what I am confused about is the [somewhat] big noise that you hear when you are changing the drive modes. It's not that audible inside the cabin. But let's say you stand outside and ask someone to change the drive modes, the noise it makes, is that normal?

Thanks.
If you press the brake fully there should not be any jerk when shifting. Jerks can be felt when you use brakes partially. What kind of noise are you hearing? Switching drive modes have been seemless and haven't noticed abnormal sound. Since throttle response changes with mode, possible that engine rpm is a bit higher for same accelerator input and also AC is working differently based on mode you chose.
Old 11th October 2022, 09:27   #130
BHPian

Quote:
If you press the brake fully there should not be any jerk when shifting. Jerks can be felt when you use brakes partially. What kind of noise are you hearing? Switching drive modes have been seemless and haven't noticed abnormal sound. Since throttle response changes with mode, possible that engine rpm is a bit higher for same accelerator input and also AC is working differently based on mode you chose.
Thanks for the response. Switching drive modes is seamless.

The sound I am talking about is something that you hear if you are standing outside the vehicle and somebody is like shifting from D to R or R to D, etc. It's a big sound, something like gears engaging, and I just wanted to know if that's normal or something to get checked from SC.
Old 11th October 2022, 10:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The sound I am talking about is something that you hear if you are standing outside the vehicle and somebody is like shifting from D to R or R to D, etc. It's a big sound, something like gears engaging, and I just wanted to know if that's normal or something to get checked from SC.
I don't recall hearing such sounds. Ideally when switching modes there should not be any additional sounds. May be good to have this checked at SC.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:09   #132
BHPian

Quote:

What is the odometer reading now ? If it is less than 500, brake pads may still be settling in. If brakes are partially applied, they make noise while shifting.

Also, if pads are new, they make noise while releasing after shifting from D to R or R to D.

And, always try giving a pause at N. R - N - D or D - N - R
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:27   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
What is the odometer reading now ? If it is less than 500, brake pads may still be settling in. If brakes are partially applied, they make noise while shifting.

Also, if pads are new, they make noise while releasing after shifting from D to R or R to D.

And, always try giving a pause at N. R - N - D or D - N - R
ODO is just 1500+. For jerk during shifts, not pressing brake hard enough could be the possible reason.

The sound I am talking about is heard outside, never inside the cabin. Probably while the gears are shifted / changed.
sumalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 11:22   #134
BHPian

What is the current OTR price of Fortuner Diesel, 4x4 AT? Wait times?
Thank you
Old 19th October 2022, 20:24   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujarati View Post
What is the current OTR price of Fortuner Diesel, 4x4 AT? Wait times?
Thank you
Any color other than White or Black has waiting period of 3 months across India. White can be had in 1 month or less, depending on your dealer and the deal you sign up for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks