Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 11:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review

As you move on with life, your priorities change, aspirations change and so does your wants. It’s human nature to look out for better options even after possessing the best, and we do manage to convince on what is better. Long story cut short - I wanted a new ride yet again.
With COVID, the running of the car had hit a new low and I had no plans to upgrade. Towards the end of 2020, I was casually browsing OLX and found a few good deals on used cars. Every time I saw used cars in KA, the more I got convinced to buy a new one. I wasn’t serious about selling and casually asked for a swap with the 3 Series 330i. I was surprised by the price quoted for my Crysta. Few factors influenced me to push:
1. I am getting 80-90% resale for my Crysta after 3.5 years and 50K.
2. Kwid was lying idle and it ran a measly 1K km in one year.
3. Few good deals on new cars too being the month end.
4. Have another Crysta so I would not miss the comfort and practicality.
5. Endeavour was running solid and had no reason to sell.

Car selection
I didn’t have any specific car in mind but liked the 330i Sport. Looked nice, had a nice motor and did come with analogue dials and the alloys were to my liking, felt better than the Luxury line or M Sport. Despite the smooth, high revving petrol, I am a diesel guy, and there was a 320D Sport as well. I had just this one car (320D or 330i) in mind. I liked the GLC/X3 too, but for 75L, I get the same 2L engine and interiors, though nice, did not feel out of the world compared to say a 3 Series or X1. Bit more space on offer too. Liked the GLE/X5 but were beyond my budget. In the meantime, Audi came with a fantastic offer for the A6 Tech pack. Offer was too hard to ignore and in the vicinity of 58-60L OTR. Got me interested until I saw a 2-year-old A6 with 25K on the ODO asking for 33L! 50%+ depreciation in 2 years, well that’s a bit too much, especially when the resale is important for me. At the end of the day, it’s my money and I don’t want a depreciation disaster.

So back to BMW. Looked at the X1, felt nice and more practical too. That said, the car is in its final phase and an all-new model should be launched in a year or two. Street cred was extremely poor too, which is important to me. The 3 Series simply felt so much better in comparison to look at. In the meantime, I was checking for other options. I called and checked if any Thar was available for immediate delivery, there was none. But reality struck, this can’t be my car. I already have a Thar DI for that road presence.

So, all cars dropped and just the 320D/330i were in the list. It was then when stories of updated Fortuner started making rounds. 200+HP engine and updated looks caught my interest and the car was added to the list. Endeavour was ruled out due to the puny engine and we already had one. Did not have the courage to spend 45L on an MG and from the review, engine was a big letdown. I am not a sedan guy and sitting low was a thing of the past for me. No one in my family likes sedans and were not in favour of the 320D. That said, the looks and motor ensured it made to the final list. Upon visiting BMW, I added X1 to the list as a wild card entrant. There was no stock of the 330i available anywhere in Karnataka and had to drop it from the list. X1 was added because of the practicality it offers.

Final List
1. 320D Sport
2. X1 Xline20D
3. Fortuner AT

Priorities
1. Preferably SUV
2. Automatic and diesel
3. 4x4 (if SUV) or RWD (if sedan)
4. Budget - +/-50L
5. Reliable and Safe
6. Easy to maintain and easy availability of parts.
7. Good Resale
8. Good road presence
9. Spacious inside and big enough boot for week-long vacations.
10. Ability to take it to newer places without worrying about road conditions
11. Good audio quality

In the meantime, Innova and Kwid were sold for a price beyond my expectation and I visited BMW for a test drive. They had a X1 and I took it for a 20KM drive. It felt nice to drive but I had to slow down on bad patches. Also, the feeling of driving a big car was inexistent. Had few soft-touch plastics, but then, except the door pads, most are not touchpoints. The biggest downer was from folks at the back, no one liked low seating and my daughter said ”I can’t see a bit outside, just the sky (thanks to the sunroof)”. We sat in a 220D display car and realized that a sedan is not my type, I am done. To add to this, I clock a lot of miles on the Bangalore-Mangalore highway, where 50% of the year, roads are horrible. I also love to explore new places and the sedan simply did not inspire confidence. World over, sedans are dying and I did not help the cause either. Final nail on the coffin was availability, there was just one black 320D available and the colour was not to my liking. I preferred either Red or White, both were not available. Tried my luck with BMW Kerala and there was one Melbourne Red 320D, however the dealer was not interested to sell outside Kerala. I loved this coluor so much and probably would have given it another shot if I had seen this in real, but then again, I had to convince myself and the family for a sedan. Anyway, had to let go off the 3.

Left with only one option, I test drove the Fortuner 4x2 AT (pre-facelift) and could see all smiles from the folks at the back. At slow speeds in the city, it was a bit bouncy but had a nice view and the engine was great. Gearbox though could have been better. While it was stiff, I think coming from body-on-frame cars, we were tuned to the suspension setup. While the Endeavour and Innova are softer, the stiffness did not feel like a deal breaker.

Diesel is my preferred fuel type for one, I love the torque. Secondly, for the power, they are decent in terms of efficiency.

I think if you see the priorities, you can probably gauge what would suit my requirements. Probably Endeavour and Fortuner. We already have an Endeavour and did not want another one and since both BMWs failed to meet my requirements, I booked the Fortuner, based on my test drive of pre-facelift. I gave a quick thought of getting a Camry, but soon realized that the sedan was not going to fulfil my requirements anyway.

Melbourne Red 320D which I liked, probably would have given it a second thought if this colour was available in Karnataka:
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-bmw.jpg

Booking Details
Dealer - Nandi Toyota
Variant Booked - 4x4 AT Super White (Preferably all-black interiors)
Booking date - Jan 4th
Booking Amount - 1 Lac
Fortuner was launched on Jan 6th with a significant price hike. But the car came with decent kit too. That said, the car is now a cool 3.5L costlier than its immediate rival. Legender did not come with 4x4 and missed goodies that I wanted (4x4 kit, JBL speakers). Gave a go ahead with my booking and took delivery on Jan 20th.

Total OTR: 47.4 Lacs
Did save a few on insurance though.

Accessories added: Damping, sill plates (without lights), aftermarket floor mats.

The Fortuner
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-cabo_5.jpg

What I like

1. Engine / gearbox combo is sublime. The more you drive, the more you miss driving the car.
2. Decent feature kit with the facelift. Ventilated seats, 11 speaker JBL system, Diff lock etc.
3. Road presence. Don’t think I need to elaborate more. Drive around in a white Fortuner, you will know. Love the new black grille too.
4. Hydraulic steering. Yes, its heavy at standstill, start moving and you will start realizing what a car this size and type needs.
5. Built to last and solid mechanicals, which I think comes by default from Toyota.
6. All black interiors look good. While Chamois look roomier, Toyota messed up the dash which gets mix of Chamois and Black leather. A black car would look nice with Chamois interior to me.
7. Brakes have a nice feel and stops the car without any drama.
8. All touchpoints have soft-touch materials, including your knees, which is missing in most of the cars.
9. High speed (especially on a 4-lane highway) ride is fantastic, thanks to the stiff suspension. It works great off-road too.
10. Insulation is good, though some noise seeps in. Engine is much quieter than the pre-facelift.
11. Audio gets a good upgrade. 11 speaker unit is nice and excels w.r.t clarity.

What I don’t like

1. Toyota is stingy. You charge close to 48 lacs and skimp on features. Sunroof, ADAS (available everywhere else), guided reverse camera etc. are glaring omissions.
2. Despite improvements, ride is on the stiff side in city limits you can feel all bits and pieces of the road. While the suspension is silent (no thud) there is scope for improvement.
3. Few ergonomic issues should have been addressed. You cannot easily reach the bottle in the door pocket, headrests are too long, place to keep the mobile is a bit too hard to reach.
4. Front seats offer excellent lateral support. However, if you are hefty, you might find this intrusive.
5. Limited range of accessories. Would love to see, adventure-oriented accessories like, beefed up tires, TPMS, roof cross bars, etc.
6. While paint quality is good, the QC could have been better. There are 2-3 minor blemishes/drip which cannot be seen easily.
7. I would have loved it if the quad beam setup from Legender was provided on regular Fortuner too.
8. Toyota should consider offering 17 inchers in the top spec too. For one, they look lovely with taller side profile, better ride and cheaper replacements.

Engine and Gearbox

This is an area where the Fortuner has received a major update. While the pre-facelift had good grunt, it would not make you go wow. Before booking, I test drove the 4x2 AT and the engine felt quite good but not special. The one in the facelift goes that extra mile and is indeed special. Given that the Fortuner is 200 Kilos lighter than the Endeavour, it betters the mighty 3.2L, the latter is a bit more smoother though. In ECO mode too, there is plenty of power, though response is delayed. Most of the times Fortuner will keep you happy in Eco or Normal mode. Sport mode will elevate things to the next level. In this mode, I have often run out of road, the car just keeps pulling and the speedo climbs rapidly. In Sport mode, the Fortuner can easily keep up with a powerful sedan and monocoque crossovers. Until 3000 RPM, you can barely hear the engine. Post this, the engine gets audible, though it’s a nice note and not the typical diesel clatter. Insulation has improved mostly due to the engine. Even from the outside, its silent by segment standards. To sum it up, this is an Engine for enthusiasts. What’s more, even after spirited driving on a highway, FE in the MID indicated 9.XX, which is commendable. In Eco mode, and light foot driving (90-110), the MID indicates phenomenal 14.XX kmpl. On a recent drive on a two-lane highway with heavy traffic, MID was showing 16.4 kmpl. Engine hits the right note in every department.

I am not sure if Toyota has tuned gearbox but it feels much better, believe higher engine output has a role to play too. Shifts are quick and smooth (not DSG quick), and most of the time, is at the right gear. Floor the pedal and it quickly drops a gear or two. Downshift using the paddle is quick and is almost instant and consistent most of the time. For upshift to happen, car/engine has to be at the right speed. It does honour your command 80% of the time but may not otherwise. BTW you can use paddles in D mode too. In S mode, I see that the car holds gears for slightly longer while limiting the max gears it can go to. But I don’t see too much of a difference between D and S w.r.t shift pattern. S mode helps in giving you more control. If you are on a 4-lane highway, slot to S6 and switch on Sport mode, it will keep you grinning all through. The speed alerts are annoying and spoil the party but then when the music volume is at 20, you hardly hear the sound.

I haven’t driven the Alturas or the Gloster but can confidently say this is the best engine gearbox combo by a fair margin in the segment (I am going by online reviews of the Gloster and Alturas).

Ride and Handling

If the engine and gearbox are Fortuners strengths, ride/handling is something it can improve upon. Don’t get me wrong, I find the Fortuner to have better handling in 4-lane or smooth 2-lane roads. The stiff suspension ensures there are no unwanted movements and inspires a lot of confidence. However, in city limits, you can feel the rough sections, and can make you unsettled. If you are coming from say a Duster, this may be a deal breaker, but if you are used to body-on-frame, you will be fine. Also owing to stiffer suspension the sideways movement is considerably lesser compared to say Endeavour. Execute a quick U-turn in both and you will realize what I mean. The suspension is silent but is extremely busy.

Now the big question - has it improved compared to pre-facelift? Yes, it has by some margin. When I test drove the pre-facelift, it was 4x2 AT and came with 17 inchers, which means it has an advantage when it comes to ride. My car has 18 inchers and can say, it matches the 17 inchers in terms of ride comfort. I strongly believe, 4x2 AT facelift will have better ride.

Build quality and paint

The car is well built and some of the areas feel damn heavy (bonnet). That said, the car is not as light as some of the other Japanese cars, nor as heavy as Americans/Germans. It’s in between. It does not give you a solid thud but then is solid enough to make you feel safe inside. Paint quality is good in general, also Toyota now offers 2 shades of white and black, which by far are the highest selling colours in the Fortuner. While the Legender gets dual-tone diamond cut alloys, 4x4 variants get Super Chrome - something Toyota picked from Lexus. The finish looks premium and stands out amongst diamond cut and silver alloys. Note that the spare tire is of full size and is an alloy wheel. On the downside, Toyota can add a bit more of QC as my car has 2-3 minor paint drip/blemishes at hard to see areas. This was seen in my earlier Innova Crysta too.

Features and interiors

When it comes to features, Gloster tops the chart in this segment. Even w.r.t space, there is no competition. Fortuner is smallest in terms of dimension. However, interiors are roomier than others barring Gloster. There is decent kit now, thanks to the facelift, but still misses some nice to have features like Auto wipers, sunroof, lumbar support, TPMS, charging solutions etc. There are a few useful kit that they added like Ventilated seats, front sonar, 11 speaker JBL Audio etc. These have enabled Toyota to step up the game. Fit and finish is typical Toyota, well-bolstered and even after 10 years of abuse, you may not hear a creek! All touchpoints, including your knees (many cars give this a miss) get soft leather. Even the perforated leather seats look nice and are of decent quality (not like Nappa/quilted leather of Alturas). If you are under 5’10, there is a good amount of space, even 3rd row is useable and easily accessible. Side folding 3rd row gets intrusive, but you get to keep heavy items on a metal base as compared to seats. May not be a use case for many, but if you are looking for utility, a metal base works the best. I can carry something like 600-800 coconuts in my Innova/Fortuner without worry but may not be able to put it on top of the seats in my Endeavour. Again, this may not arise for everyone as most use the space to put bags, suitcases.

Unconventional dash design may not be to everyone's liking. After 3500 KM, I don't see this odd.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-dash.jpg

An area which has good quality materials
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-center_console.jpg

The MID has a nice animation on start up. Dials get a new blue treatment.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-animation.jpg

The new Diff lock switch. Also notice the new switch for Normal mode.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-diff_lock.jpg

Front seats are 8-way adjustable. Markings are missing compared to the pre-facelift
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-electric_seats.jpg

Roof lights are LED and look cool. There is also a button to switch off motion detect sensor.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-led_roof_lights.jpg

Facelift misses kick sensor and I think it also loses the button to cut off electric boot open (Pre-facelift had this)
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-parking_buttons.jpg

Well-spaced pedals with a comfortable dead pedal.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-pedal_area.jpg

Ventilated seats. Leather is of good quality. Toyota says a mix of genuine and synthetic leather is used.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-seat.jpg

Audio

Fortuner now gets an 8-inch touch screen with wired Android Auto and Apple Carplay capability. Unit is slick and responsive but misses inbuilt GPS. Does offer smartdevice link and wireless Mirrorcast though. 4x4 variants come with 11 speaker JBL audio. The branding can be seen on the HU too. The unit sounds good. Has good clarity and bass from that subwoofer at the back. The speakers on top of the dash does look aftermarket, but is wonderful. It can get super loud at the front. In the middle row, loudness is not a lot though clarity remains top notch. After buying the car, the speaker does take some time to break in, before delivering their best. Also note, the HU now gets tuner dials/physical buttons which are extremely useful.

Head Unit in action. Layout is similar to the earlier version. Clarity is excellent. HU has JBL branding too
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-hu_in_action.jpg

JBL Branding on the speakers. Speakers on top of the dash look aftermarket and creates a bit of a glare. Sound quality is very good though.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20210325_170147.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20210325_170151.jpg

The build quality of the speaker is fantastic. Probably strong enough to withstand a hit from a hammer.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-speaker_build.jpg

Comparison with Endeavour and Innova Crysta

Fortuner replaces the 2.4 GX MT Crysta and now shares its space with Endeavour 2.2 Titanium AT 2016 and a 2018 Innova GX MT (and a Thar DI, which I will keep out of comparison for obvious reasons). All three are body on frame and RWD. Fortuner gets part-time 4WD like our Thar DI and the rest two are 2WD.

An area where the Innova beats all hands down is w.r.t comfort and space on offer. It’s the one which has the best useable 3 rows and one with overall better ride, especially at the back. Endeavour and Fortuner are significantly taller and it has an impact on the ride quality, there is bit of lumpiness in both and subdued in Innova. Innova also gets an option of bucket seats which are much more comfortable. In the humid Indian climate, I feel fabric seats offer better comfort than leather seats, Ventilated seats are a must if you have leather seats.

When it comes to engine performance, Fortuner is miles ahead. Innova, being a manual, feels more powerful than the 2.2L Endeavour but Endeavour has good initial grunt, though not a match to the Fortuner. It is quite well known by now how powerful the Fortuner is, and I will not drag this further.

W.r.t gearbox, I find the 6-speed AT in the Fortuner better, but the BS6 Endeavour gets 10-speed one which is even smoother. The shifts can be felt in both and the unit in Endeavour shifts very frequently (based on my 15 KM test drive). Fortuner AT is much better than the 6-speed AT of the Endeavour, but I felt the newer Endeavor has a slight edge w.r.t smoothness.

In terms of space, Fortuner scores over the Endeavour. Front seats offer more support and the 2nd row seat base is 2 inches wider. Even in the third row, there is bit more leg space and is easier to access. Boot space appears similar, but since the Fortuner gets reclining 3rd row, it offers better customization and comfort.

When it comes to ride, Endeavour wins mainly due to its ride quality at low speeds and broken roads. While Fortuner is better on the highway, overall, I can say Endeavour wins this battle. Both the cars have body roll, thanks to the height and the typical lumpiness associated with body-on-frame can be felt. Suspension is silent in both even when you hit a deep rut, Fortuner loses composure more.

Features - so this is one area where the Fortuner is criticized heavily. But if you put a comparison, you will find it’s not that bad. My Endeavour misses sunroof, park assist, electric third row so I am the putting current Endeavour for comparison (I have already put this in multiple threads but listing the most comprehensive one here).

Few comparison pictures of interiors and exteriors
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-front2.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-back.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-door_pads.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-gear.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-glove.jpg

What Endeavour gets and Fortuner does not
1. Sunroof
2. TPMS
3. Lumbar support
4. Fancy park assists
5. Front 4 parking sensors
6. Gas struts for Bonnet
7. Better quality roof liner
8. Auto Wipers
9. Inbuilt navigation/GPS
10. Terrain management system
11. Center differential
12. Dual zone AC
13. Adaptive guidelines
14. Sun visor extenders
15. Ambient lighting (Legender gets this)
16. Kick sensor (Legender gets this)

What Fortuner gets and Endeavour does not
1. Paddle shifters
2. Drive modes
3. Ventilated seats
4. Auto start/Stop
5. Plastic sill plates
6. Dual Glovebox
7. Auto LSD
8. One touch tumble 2nd row
9. Reclining 3rd row seats
10. Full size spare with alloy
11. 3-point seat belt for all passengers
12. Telescopic steering adjustment
13. Wireless charger (Legender)
14. Multiple colour options (Not a feature per se but important for many)

You can see that the differences are not much as one would have thought. The Gloster though seem to be on another level.

Now, there are few things where the implementation is different, and each have their benefits. For instance, AWD would have been nice but at the cost of fuel efficiency. Endeavour gets cheaper MRF AT tires whereas Fortuner gets expensive Bridgestone HTs. The leather on the dash in the Endeavour looks nice but then the Fortuner has leather around the center console, glove box cover and top of the instrument cluster, all of these are touch points and more useable. Endeavour looks nice when you see the roof (thanks to sunroof and premium liner) but everywhere else, quality of materials is even steven. Infact, if you look below the audio unit and the center console, it’s the Fortuner that feels more premium. Beige/lighter interiors by nature make the interior look airy, but the all-black interior has its own fan base (also Fortuner does get an option of lighter Chamois interior if you like).

My Fortuner has completed over 3500 KM and have got the 1st free service done. Toyota Connect app now has a complete user manual available and it comes in quite handy. Lastly, on the connected car features, this has been outsourced to Carot (owned by Minda). It is pretty basic. Gives you info on the basic health of the car, tracking and geo fencing and a few more alerts. Not a big fan of connected car service, maybe I would have used it a bit more if it had a few fancy features.

To summarize, Fortuner does have its positives and negatives and has gotten expensive over the years. But then, if I compare it with cars that started the journey with Fortuner (eg C Class, Octavia etc.), they have gotten quite expensive too. I am very sure Ford management is happy, because now they have got the opportunity to hike prices of the Endeavour. What they will offer with the price hike needs to be seen. With the facelift Toyota has given a good set of upgrades and will continue to attract buyers. I hope this is the last ICE car purchase unless the government has other plans. Eagerly waiting for the pandemic to get over so that I get to travel more with the Fortuner.

Pictures
Bold new grille. Toyota took some inspiration from the TRD grille that was pasted on the pre-facelift.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-bold_grile.jpg

Headlights are all new. Gets new inserts too. The kink from the pre-facelift is gone.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-new_headlight.jpg

Fog lamps are LED. Also notice the front sonar.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-new_fog.jpg

Glass for the 3rd row is huge.
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-c_pillar.jpg

Eye candy shots
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-cabo_4.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-cabo_cross.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-maravanthe_front.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-saide_profile.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-cabo_rear.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2021 at 14:15. Reason: Typo - thanks for sharing!
PrideRed is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 07:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 08:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, @PrideRed, on a comprehensive review. You've packed more than several GB into this one post. I've always loved this car, and white has been my most favored colour. My few cents:

1. The engine - gearbox combo and the superior brakes will always bring a smile on your face
2. Yes, while Toyota has begun getting away from bland designs in the older Innova and Fortuner, there is no taking away the truth that their QA is nowhere close to the past; like you said, paint (im)perfection
3. For the first time, a Toyota tall boy gets an audio set up worthy of the car, and the money spent
4. So far as sunroof goes, well, I don't consider it a feature required in this country

Congratulations once again, and, as pilots say on the take off roll, rotate.

Last edited by vigsom : 27th March 2021 at 08:17.
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 09:39   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new vehicle!

If I may ask, I have noticed that your garage has similar vehicles than different vehicles.

For instance, from what I understand, you have a Crysta, an Endeavour, and a Fortuner. And before that, you had two Crystas.

Don't get me wrong; all your vehicles are phenomenal, and I understand different people have different requirements, but why not experiment with different kind of vehicles as well?

If I were you, I would probably have bought the 320d with the confidence that I have an Endeavour and a Crysta for when I'm about to drive into bad roads. Or I might have seriously considered a Skoda Octavia, Superb, or the Kodiaq (unsure if the latter is still on sale — Skoda seems to launch or discontinue something every month or so).

Again, pardon me if my questions were inappropriate. Once again, congrats on your new vehicle.
voldemort is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 10:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
Congratulations on your new vehicle!

If I may ask, I have noticed that your garage has similar vehicles than different vehicles.

For instance, from what I understand, you have a Crysta, an Endeavour, and a Fortuner. And before that, you had two Crystas.

Again, pardon me if my questions were inappropriate. Once again, congrats on your new vehicle.
Few problems with sedan as I mentioned:
1. I sat in 220D, and immediately found it difficult to sit so low.
2. My cars clock good miles and good chunk of it has bad roads. Also I like to explore, example in our recent trip, we took a road which looked unexplored. When we reached the place there was no place to turn back except a ditch. With Fortuner it was piece of cake.
3. No one in family is willing to sit in a sedan. Even if I convince myself, car would have ended up as garage queen.
4. Sedans are dying breed, and resale ain't good, which is important to me.
5. Among current crop of sedans I liked only 2, the 3 series and civic. Latter was stopped and 3 series was out of stock. Had Melbourne red been available, I would have given second thought despite all the odd, but that wasn't the case.

I had a bad experience with VW, and don't have confidence with them or Skoda. May be I might consider them at cheaper price tag, but not their premium offerings. They don't have diesel either. Crossover would have been nice, barring X1, there were no options in 50L bracket.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 12:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your brute, PrideRed! I always loved the different generations of the Fortuner, but this facelift suits the car so well. Especially the wheels, they are a perfect fit to the car itself.

A friend had an early 2010 Fortuner in Black in which we would commute to and from school. My god, the street presence that it had was enough to move everyone out of the way on streets of Guwahati (literally!)

P.S - Is the Red Grill insert an add-on?
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 12:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride !

What a garage you have right now from the Innova Crysta, to the ford Endeavour and now the mighty Fortuner. It seems like body on frame rules your choice of vehicles. The Fortuner has come ahead, but still not that much in terms of interior. But then here you have the option of picking the Crysta or the Fortuner

Seems like you are now the 'go to guy' for folks who are always confused between the 3 vehicles Do post pictures of all the three together. Now that would be a beautiful picture !

Last edited by TrackDay : 27th March 2021 at 12:46.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 14:39   #8
BHPian

Its not everyday that you see a garage shared by an Endeavour and a Fortuner. Congrats on the new ride. Wish you many miles (both, off-road and on it )
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 15:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Accessories added: Damping, sill plates (without lights), aftermarket floor mats.
Congrats on the beast. One question, what kind of damping have you done, has it made a noticeable difference? I was looking to get the 3m acqoustic sound treatment on my new Fortuner.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 16:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations PrideRed on the beautiful monster! Superb review and comparison with your other vehicles.

Curious to know the reason for damping (the doors?) and do you have it in your other vehicles too. What is the difference in the noise/vibration with and without the damping (company specification). Have not read or heard from many people getting the damping done for these big boys hence the question.

Thank you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 17:27   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride. Your review is very comprehensive and very informative. The comparisons between the different vehicles is very useful. Enjoy the ride.
eyeman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 17:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
P.S - Is the Red Grill insert an add-on?
It's a simple sticker cost me 50 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
Congrats on the beast. One question, what kind of damping have you done, has it made a noticeable difference? I was looking to get the 3m acqoustic sound treatment on my new Fortuner.
Damping using STP on 4 doors. May get boot damped too. 3M damping as I know helps audio quality only. Damping gets you few additional benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Curious to know the reason for damping (the doors?) and do you have it in your other vehicles too. What is the difference in the noise/vibration with and without the damping (company specification). Have not read or heard from many people getting the damping done for these big boys hence the question.

Thank you.

Cheers
I have it in my other cars and see quite a few benefits.
1. New Fortuner has good insulation, damping helps further.
2. Avoids minor dings/dent. After damping press the sheet metal and you will know what I mean.
3. Improves audio sound quality.
4. Makes door heavier.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 19:46   #13
BHPian

Excellent review PrideRed, many thanks. I must say your detailing already has really helped me in ironing my decision of plonking hard earned 40+ lakh. My Fortuner has been dispatched from the plant and is on the way. Eagerly waiting to try my hands on and share experiences.
abhi1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 20:49   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on this beast! The white colour to me personally looks absolutely stunning, in one word- classy!

Wishing you many happy miles ahead!!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 22:16   #15
BHPian

Hey. This is a nice write up. And you always write up a comparison in all your threads which makes it all the more interesting. You are a Toyota Fanboy. But then these mechanically sorted cars are a delight to own. Congratulations once again. Was a pleasure reading
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks