Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 21:14   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2021 Audi A4 Technology – Purchase and Initial ownership experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Is the front heavy characteristic of the A4 specific only to the FWD versions? I am into the 3rd week of driving my quattro A4, but frankly haven't been able to push it much around corners because we've had consistently snowed or iced roads from the day I picked it up. Hopefully the roads get dry and I put it through its paces. Also need to get my hands on a RWD 3 series and compare its handling to my quattro.
Yes understeer is more noticeable and perceivable in the FWD version we get here. The Quattro system adds weight to the rear and sends power when fronts give up so it is not felt as much but even the Quattro is more front heavy.

The reason for this is the architecture of the A4. It is an MLB platform which means the engine is longitudinal. But the gearbox is mainly FWD so the engine is pushed forward as much as possible allowing the gearbox to be mounted in between the front wheels. For Quattro there is a drive shaft that goes to rear wheels but in FWD it's just engine upfront and gearbox behind right between the front wheels. This means bulk of the mass of the engine is ahead of the front axle.

In case of BMW it's the opposite. The engine is pushed as far back as possible and there is almost empty space between the front wheels as the motor sits just behind the front axle line. The gearbox is then behind that and then sends power to rear wheels giving it the 50:50 weight distribution.

For the BMW xdrive models, there is a centre differential that sends power to the front wheels on demand else predominantly RWD.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 23:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungax View Post

The A4 will be about 80% as good as the 330Li. (The 330i will be better). The expectation from the "Ultimate Driving Machine" is much higher than for the Audi. Basic interior and harsh ride from the run-flats of the 3 has to be compensated by something. The 5 series is a different breed. Audi can't compete with the 5, but with the 3, it's close.
None of the Germans in the 3 series segment can match the acceleration felt in a Santa Fe AWD. Those who have done highways with me will understand.
The point is that with the A4, blistering performance is not expected, but with the 3 it is.
The venerable Car and Driver magazine, which puts lots of emphasis on power and driver perspective, rates 2022 Audi A6 and Mercedes E-class ahead of 5-series.

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/5-series

(See the vehicle ranking, 7.5/10)
Your statement about Acceleration in AWD Santa Fe being better than German 3 series peers is even more perplexing. The acceleration of (0-100) 3-series (even slowest 320d) or A4 or even C 200 will be much better than a Santa Fe. Anyway! A quick check on Autodata.net will tell the tell Santa Fe (at 9s) will be around 2s slower than a corresponding German.

https://www.auto-data.net/bg/hyundai...02hp-dct-43414
OffRoadFun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimittal99 View Post
Interesting if A6 get 10 lakhs discount. Would it be wiser to spend 10-15 more and still get a 5 series or Lexus? A 40-45 lacs A4 sounds more reasonable than a 65-70 lac A6? Whats your take?
I was offered A6 PP at 8L more than A4 Tech back in oct (52L OTR Bangalore for A4 Tech vs 60L for A6 PP). I opted for A4 Tech.
Kinoov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:03   #34
BHPian

Re: 2021 Audi A4 2.0 TSI Technology Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
The Technology variant has Park Assist + Virtual Cockpit + Phone Box with wireless charging + Boot opening with foot gesture + Larger central screen + auto folding external mirrors, from what I could gather.
Any other notable feature to add over the Premium Plus variant?

Also, does the Virtual Cockpit replicate the GMaps on the driver MID, from the central screen?

Do you feel the Park Assist function is only a party trick or it actually makes sense in crowded places? Have you used it in various situations?

We just booked a Floret Silver Audi A4 Premium Variant. We are probably one of the first to book the Premium Variant. Spent all December TDing and talking to the Audi salespeople.

The launch of this base variant has allowed Audi to keep the Premium Plus and Technology Priced Higher. We were quoted 46.5, 49 and 52 OTR Pune initially. But after a lot of negotiation, we got the Premium for 43.5 OTR. They were ready to give 50k off for the Okapi brown interior, but my dad preferred the Beige interior.

I was initially disappointed with the price being on the higher side, but their explanation was that discounts were higher in late Oct when the MY 21 year cars were to be taken out of stock. For MY 22 they do not have support from Audi for large discounts as of now due to the semiconductor shortage. The Superb was sold out and March 22 is when the Skoda dealers said they can realistically give us a TD and deliver. Skoda has also hiked pricing in Jan 2022 and the new Superb would be around 44.5-45 OTR for the L and K. And because we would be buying immediately in March, we would not get any massive discount on the Superb. Since my dad is mostly self-driven, he liked the smaller size of the A4 and looks a lot more.

Our budget was actually allowing us to go for the Premium Plus but my parents somehow did not see the value in paying 2.5 lacs for just 2 additional climate control zones and multicolour ambient lighting.

We used the dual-zone climate control in our old Jetta maybe 6 times in 6 years...so we couldn't see the value.

Anyway, for MY22, the MMI screen is a 10.1 inch unit for all variants.

And they have also added the Wireless Phone Charger for all 3 variants as well.

But the software has remained the same meaning that you still cannot view Google Maps on the Virtual Cockpit. And as everyone will end up using Google Maps or Waze or the like, there is no major functionality addition using the Virtual Cockpit.

The Technology does get Memory for the driver which is actually useful. And the Premium Plus gets 2 more Airbags. These are the noteworthy functional differences. Everything else is cosmetic or a flashy feature. The multicolour lighting I would have loved though. Mom hated it (she thought it makes the car look gimmicky).

In my opinion, the silver textured aluminium inlays in the Premium and Premium plus should age better than the scratch-prone Piano black.

Will be going for PDI today or tomorrow. Anything specific I should be checking? Please let me know!

Attaching the updated MY22 feature list for everyone's reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New A4 - MY22 - Grade Walk - Dec 2021.pdf (353.5 KB, 292 views)
sauravpat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Your statement about Acceleration in AWD Santa Fe being better than German 3 series peers is even more perplexing. The acceleration of (0-100) 3-series (even slowest 320d) or A4 or even C 200 will be much better than a Santa Fe. Anyway! A quick check on Autodata.net will tell the tell Santa Fe (at 9s) will be around 2s slower than a corresponding German.
Although there are so many things that can be said, since the thread is going off topic, will relate it to the A4.

One of the many pleasure of a new car purchase is the test-drives. Don't take all those YouTube videos and articles literally. Take a test drive of every car to make a correct decision.
Although the A4 gets an average or in some cases low rating by many reviewers, it may surprise with its Jack-of-all trades setup and it is definitely a car that can be considered.
In my review it can be seen that I actually never considered an Audi when I started looking for a new car. My wife likes to lean towards Audi and we almost purchased a Q3 in 2014.

The declared 0-100 times mean very little on our roads. It's best to take a long test drive and decide if the A4 is good enough based on your driving style/ technique.

I wanted to change the tyres before delivery itself. Since the tyres are on the insurance I will retain them for now. The Hankook tyres need more grip for this FWD car. I have seen the ESP symbol light up many times now, so its definitely an issue. Quattro would have definitely made this car faster off the line. For quick overtaking, the setup without Quattro does a good job of launching the car forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimittal99 View Post
Just a thought on the add-on features like virtual cockpit and park assist, does it matter after a certain time, I mean, do people really use it on a day to day basis? IMO, while test driving the Audi, I really did not spend much time looking at the display.
Since the 'mirrored' maps can't be displayed in the instrument cluster, you can use them like a dual-display computer with one app locked to your left screen. Music, phone and others can be seen in the right display (virtual cockpit).

The park-assist took me many tries to get it correctly. Once I got used to it, it's definitely nice to have and I do use it whenever I can. (That's just me. On my gadgets, I find out all features and adapt my usage to use all available features.)

Like any tech product today, it's upto the user to use or not-use features but always good to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinoov View Post
I was offered A6 PP at 8L more than A4 Tech back in oct (52L OTR Bangalore for A4 Tech vs 60L for A6 PP). I opted for A4 Tech.
Yes, the A4 tech was more compelling than a 60L A6 PP. I was looking at the A6 technology, but discount offered was not as much as the A6 PP.
Old 7th January 2022, 01:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
We just booked a Floret Silver Audi A4 Premium Variant. We are probably one of the first to book the Premium Variant. Spent all December TDing and talking to the Audi salespeople.
So do all the three variants get keyless entry and go with request sensors on the doors? Or only the Technology variant gets it? Do you have any shots of the exterior of the Premium variant? Still no wireless CarPlay! Makes the wireless charger pretty much redundant. But surely the Premium makes for a compelling choice!
Old 7th January 2022, 09:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
So do all the three variants get keyless entry and go with request sensors on the doors? Or only the Technology variant gets it? Do you have any shots of the exterior of the Premium variant? Still no wireless CarPlay! Makes the wireless charger pretty much redundant. But surely the Premium makes for a compelling choice!
The exterior of the Premium and Premium Plus is exactly the same. Zero differences.

Compared to the technology, they have different alloys and miss out on a couple of silver garnishes on the front as well as back bumpers.

All 3 variants do get keyless entry.

Will share images once we get our car!
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 10:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We just booked a Floret Silver Audi A4 Premium Variant. We are probably one of the first to book the Premium Variant.
Congrats for booking the A4

Quote:
The launch of this base variant has allowed Audi to keep the Premium Plus and Technology Priced Higher. We were quoted 46.5, 49 and 52 OTR Pune initially. But after a lot of negotiation, we got the Premium for 43.5 OTR. They were ready to give 50k off for the Okapi brown interior, but my dad preferred the Beige interior.
Can you please share the break-up of the final price that you paid - as applicable, for insurance, any service package, warranty etc?
Reg. the brown interiors being offered for 50k discount, is that for the Premium variant as such or across all variants? Any particular reason they are offering this just for choosing the brown interiors?

Quote:
Will be going for PDI today or tomorrow. Anything specific I should be checking? Please let me know!
This should help - https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-...pdi-check-list

Quote:
Attaching the updated MY22 feature list for everyone's reference.
Thanks, this is useful.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:14   #39
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the new car, this would be the first silver A4 between the recent Audi purchases on the forum!

Quote:
All 3 variants do get keyless entry.
The comfort key listed only for Technology variant in the grade walk uploaded by you is what I think Audi implies by keyless entry. Even the 2021 premium+ did not have pure keyless entry.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Congratulations on the new car, this would be the first silver A4 between the recent Audi purchases on the forum!

The comfort key listed only for Technology variant in the grade walk uploaded by you is what I think Audi implies by keyless entry. Even the 2021 premium+ did not have pure keyless entry.
I agree. I misinterpreted what was meant by the keyless entry. I apologise.

Only the Technology variant gets the request sensor type keyless entry. You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Congrats for booking the A4

Can you please share the break-up of the final price that you paid - as applicable, for insurance, any service package, warranty etc?
Reg. the brown interiors being offered for 50k discount, is that for the Premium variant as such or across all variants? Any particular reason they are offering this just for choosing the brown interiors?
Hi, no information regarding why the Okapi brown was being offered at a small discount.

We got the car for 43.5. The additional extended warranty was 1 lac more. So in all had to pay 44.5. The price includes RTI insurance for 1.3 lacs I believe. And we are getting the mats as well included. That's all

Would have waited to negotiate more, but with the price hike on 31st Dec, including the hike in insurance and registration, prices were going to go up by 2 lakhs across all variants. So we had to finalise the deal quickly, since a bigger discount of 1 lac after 1st Jan 2022 would still make the car dearer by 1 lac. The salespeople said that maybe they can discount it more in March 2022 but it will end up being the same price as we paid since the price was hiked to begin with. Hence we confirmed at 43.5 on 29th of Dec to get the 2021 pricing.

Not the best price we could have gotten but still satisfactory considering we got the MY22 car at 2021 pricing. I also tried with Audi Mumbai West. They quoted 43.8. So immediately went ahead with Audi Pune.

Last edited by manson : 7th January 2022 at 21:26.
sauravpat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 01:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
The venerable Car and Driver magazine, which puts lots of emphasis on power and driver perspective, rates 2022 Audi A6 and Mercedes E-class ahead of 5-series.

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/5-series

https://www.auto-data.net/bg/hyundai...02hp-dct-43414
I have driven SF extensively and I can assure that a Polo TSI is on par in terms of acceleration.

Octavia 1.8 would smoke the SF in any given Tarmac, be it a dead straight highway or ghats. Acceleration feels much more stronger in Octavia.

330i is a monster in terms of acceleration when compared to SF. Difference in acceleration/performance between SF & 330i is as much as difference between say 330i & RS7.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 04:24   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the A4. Loved the deep blue color and looks great with the quad exhaust tips from the rear.

However, it's side profile is not that complimentary and wish Audi gave better looking wheels. Also, I am quite surprised to see such a busy engine bay for a 50+ lakhs car. They should have planned the engine bay a bit more nicely. Well, not that it matters to buyers but, we BHPian's are a different breed.

How is the steering feel and drive? I remember from my test drive of the A3 and Q3 for Team BHP long back, Audi's typically have a soft set-up and is more tuned towards relaxed driving? Is that still the case?

Wish you many (s) miles of happiness.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 05:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Audi Comfort Key is "Keyless Entry" only in its basic form. Depending on the Key used to open the car. The car remembers seat position, drive modes and other settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats on the A4. Loved the deep blue color and looks great with the quad exhaust tips from the rear.

How is the steering feel and drive? I remember from my test drive of the A3 and Q3 for Team BHP long back, Audi's typically have a soft set-up and is more tuned towards relaxed driving? Is that still the case?

Wish you many (s) miles of happiness.
Thank you.
The steering is light compared to other cars. It has minimum feedback. It is small in size and has a sporty feeling to it.
Yes the engine and suspension is setup for more relaxed driving.
In India, Audi calls the suspension Comfort - Rough Road. This may be similar to the A4-Allroad sold abroad.
Old 11th January 2022, 17:20   #44
BHPian

So, on last Friday of October 2021 just before diwali, we booked A4 Technology in Ibis white with Okapi brown interior. The deal was almost as good as it was during August and September.
Basically I just bought the car from Mumbai South dealer. Registration, insurance and other formalities were done by myself. Registered the car in Vapi, GJ in my company's name.
Floor mats, Audi keychain, Audi logo and Audi connect dongle were given as freebies.
I must thank manson, ostreichwein and rohitbagai for their prompt help always.
Manson even called the Mumbai west dealership to check if they can give me the premium plus variant for the same/similar price at which he bought.
Rohitbagai connected me with one of the north dealers, they had best the deal available but were not willing to bill the car in Mumbai/Gujarat. So I used that against Surat dealer who agreed to give similar deal (slightly less). I was actually not hopeful with Mumbai south dealer but to my surprise they made the deal better and finally sealed the deal for Ibis white with Okapi brown interior (exactly the combination I wanted).

Why did I buy technology variant and not premium plus? There was no stock of premium plus or they were not willing to give discounts on whatever was left with Mumbai/Gujarat dealer. Technology had almost double the discount available.

Mainly it was between the Superb and the A4. Superb had good discounts available at the beginning of October, but I was greedy for more and all MY21 cars were sold out soon and for MY 22, very little was available in terms of discounts.
Briefly considered BMW X1 and was hopeful that BMW will give good 7-8 L off on the OTR but it was merely 3-3.5L off the OTR and also the interior was a step down compared to the A4 and ride was also stiff because of the RFTs on the X1.
I had even booked the XUV7oo just for the sake of it and I knew I will end up cancelling that as I was looking for a more premium car.

Coming back to the A4, it's a looker. Every time I look at it, I fall in love with it more and more. The ride is also very plush for our roads. Only thing that worries me is the ground clearance, though I have not scraped it as yet. Technology gets fully digital instrument cluster which is simply awesome. The alloys design looks plain, but it will grow on you slowly and I have started liking it now (as if I have any other choice ).

The Audi connect app was not working initially and the dealer said it is Audi India's problem and they will sort it out. I insisted on checking whether the dongle is actually installed or not. I went to their workshop and there I found out that they had installed someone else's dongle in my car and my dongle was installed in some other car. They de-registered the other dongle and registered with my mobile number and email and now everything is working. The dongle is registered to 1 mobile number only but you can use the app in multiple mobile phones, just use the registered mobile number to sign in and it works.

PS: The dealership has sent me photos of premium variant, if anyone is interested I will post it here.
sagpatel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:36   #45
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Much appreciated, my next purchase's shortlist has Octavia and A4 from the sedans, would love to see some images.
KI07 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks