Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2022, 14:36   #76
BHPian

Re: The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review

The narrative was better than seeing the "life of pi". Kudos to Force motors for their Amazing support, shows their refreshingly humane approach to automobile sales. I don't think it would have happened with any of the bigger brands.
And kudos to the power of your will to have made it work, right to the smallest detail of dunzo'ing the tyres about to anywhere from anywhere sitting somwhere!
careind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 15:24   #77
BHPian

Re: The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review

Django thanks you all for reading the full story patiently. That’s the best reward for the pen.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-fc877d086c774168951088a1b354d2cd.jpeg

The shiny stainless steel Django nameplate finds its bearer, perfectly sitting between the only other two shiny bits in the cabin.

The shape and the size are customised to be synchronous with the rounded edges of the gear and 4x4 levers.

The font and the cut are quintessential Django

And a big sigh of relief to see all remotely executed bits come together like clockwork.

P.S: Will update external badge by weekend.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 15:41   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The shiny stainless steel Django nameplate finds its bearer, perfectly sitting between the only other two shiny bits in the cabin.
Wow, this is awesome placement of the Django nameplate. I was trying to imagine so many exterior views with the nameplate, but never thought of this place.

And, it's perfect placement.

We are thoroughly enjoying the photographs of Django in the Islands. Please try posting something during sunset / sunrise.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 17:23   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

We are thoroughly enjoying the photographs of Django in the Islands. Please try posting something during sunset / sunrise.
Thanks for your wishes.

Will try to get horizon shots when Django goes sand surfing at the beach.

Please accept these make-do’s for now.( this is the eastern edge of the island, ironically during sunset, so long shadows are all we’ll get and no golden horizon like the last picture shot later)

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-6f01bebd8db341bb9d77097c4691b8ed.jpeg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-eac5dfa8f5494a59a0e1ac5de0571dcf.jpeg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-1a9f3d9da6d34820bec07336230301ae.jpeg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-5423772cbb5244f7aad200f88cac32b2.jpeg

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 2nd February 2022 at 17:29.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 14:03   #80
BHPian

Vignesh, an excellent writeup, such an enthusiasm in writing and a detailed story telling, yet keeping people hooked. Not even a single part of the write up, where I felt this is boring. Wish You and Django very happy miles and I am sure you both will enjoy each others company for miles and miles.
Old 5th February 2022, 12:57   #81
BHPian

DJANGO GOES OFF ROADING AT THE BEACH

Django claimed his birthright by negotiating rocky trails and gnarly terrain treated with fresh slush to reach his true calling. - the sands of the beach.

The Gurkha proved its mettle as a capable off roader in the different terrains I put it through.

The rocky trails that lead to the secluded beach came first. The trail winds up and down a hill beyond which lies a tree line and then the beach. The foot of the hill is where those who know about this beach, even on motorcycles, park it by the side, and walk up the rock trail.

I took the Gurkha up and over. The rocks came in all sizes big and small and really pushed the Gurkha to extreme articulation at times. I was able to pull through by picking line correctly to keep the tires doing all the work.

At one tricky spot, the Gurkha had no hold and none but left rear had some traction. 4L was invoked to quickly get it out of trouble without much drama. Any other vehicle would have struggled here and probably got bogged down for good.

The MT Maxxis love slush and lapped up anything in their path easily with the Gurkha's grunt dismissing terrain with careless arrogance.

When we hit the treeline, armed with Sand Ladders on his back (secured with cargo nets) to the half ladder, all the MT tires needed was a quick air down to make them squat on the soft sand. The Gurkha made quick work of the soft sand and pulled through easily along the beach.

It was low tide and the just receded water meant that parts of the beach were caked up nicely, while the wet sand was still soft. Some parts the Gurkha was very comfortable even in 4x2 and powered through with some slight drifting. When I cut across to the soft sand, I sensed the rear wheels digging down and stopped. Before any further burrowing occured, I engaged 4H and off the Gurkha shot across the soft sand with new found grip on all fours. It was sheer pleasure.

And I couldn't keep off the water for long

I'll leave you with the pictures to tell the story more vividly.

A full video will come up shortly!

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g16.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g1.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g2.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g17.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g3.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g4.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g5.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g6.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g7.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g8.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g9.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g10.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g11.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g12.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g14.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g15.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g21.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g22.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g33.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g34.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g55.png

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g66.png

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g77.png

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-g88.png
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 03:09   #82
BHPian

Breathtaking photographs Vignesh! Waiting for the video now! The Gurkha looks get enhanced in these terrains especially with those tasty MT tyres. Poor Asterix hasn't had much by way of adventure yet except for a few excursions with mild offroading just outside Delhi.

I think your stock +12 offset Alloys actually make the Gurkha look better as the 245/75R16 tyres do not stick out that much from the bodyline in Django and give it a taller stance.
The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-screenshot_20220206032357_gallery.jpg
My zero offset alloys tend to make the same size tyres stick out which makes Asterix look like its squatting a bit.
The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_20220203_195849_053.jpg

In any case I feel Force Motors should seriously consider giving 245/75/16 as the stock size. I am pretty sure tyre manufacturers like Apollo will give them a good deal for the Apterra AT2 tyres in this size.

P.S. Salt water and Gurkhas aren't very compatible. Hope you gave Django's underbody a thorough wash after playtime ended.

Last edited by Manuuj : 6th February 2022 at 03:37. Reason: Added information and Post Script.
Manuuj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 04:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Gurkha's grunt dismissing terrain with careless arrogance.
Perfect way of putting across Gurkha's capabilities.
Splendid pictures, Django is having a blast
Eagerly waiting for the video.
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 18:44   #84
BHPian

Django bids adieu to Kumki.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1558.jpg

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-qwertyscreen-shot-20211231-3.33.29-pm.png

And meanwhile , an unsuspecting Xylo parks next to Django.

The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review-img_1550.jpg

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 6th February 2022 at 18:47.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 22:39   #85
BHPian

Here's my first attempt at the off road video of Django guys.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 10:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Here's my first attempt at the off road video of Django guys.
Hearty congratulations on your Gurkha! Video is made amazingly

I am planning to get the same exact spec tyres on my Gurkha. I am confident of its off-road ability. Looking to understand the experience of these on the road in terms NVH. Is it manageable?
Old 7th February 2022, 10:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
Hearty congratulations on your Gurkha! Video is made amazingly

I am planning to get the same exact spec tyres on my Gurkha. I am confident of its off-road ability. Looking to understand the experience of these on the road in terms NVH. Is it manageable?
If you’re used to NVH of AT, then these are only a tad bit or maybe equivalently noisy on Tarmac. I’m happy with these as my usage on Tarmac /highways is very minimal. And they’re great off-road.

They do intrude due to their larger size into the wheel well fenders which takes some amount of pulling back and securing the wheel well fender inside towards the front bumper. There is not much space as fitted in this bigger size for executing a full turn and it will interfere and cause abrasion if unattended.

These are substantially noisier if you baseline them against HT (but that’s an unreasonable comparison)

In one line, just like the Gurkha, the MTs are a master of one, and if you exactly understand what you’re getting into, they will be infinitely rewarding.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 7th February 2022 at 10:35.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 11:59   #88
BHPian

Just your pictures in these exotic settings should sell a load of Gurkhas. I hope Force realizes the whole lotta good done to Gurkha by passionate owners like yourself, Manuuj
and more on TBHP, something they have not been able to do with all their marketing dollars over the product's entire life span till now.
I'm seeing the Gurkha in an entirely new light, Thar doesn't even cut it anymore! (for me)
jazzrockz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 12:51   #89
BHPian

I had the same question like Manuuj-ji. As an electronics guy I always avoid sea water touching electronics/ metallic parts. Aren't the automotive steel/ electronics/ wiring harness susceptible to corrosion? Or there could be some corrsion resistant coatings in these parts (like coatings on PCB/ cards for marine/ coastal/ special environment applications that we specify in data sheets).

And awesome photography, specially I liked the photographs Django in few inches of water. Best shot is perhaps the tire marks and Django.

Big thanks to you for the pink coloured sky photograph in your earlier post. Miss those moments of East coast in the evening time.

[I can not sqaut anymore the way you are adjusting the tire pressure. Possibilities of MT in my next car is diminishing. OT]

Last edited by RijuC : 7th February 2022 at 12:57.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 14:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I had the same question like Manuuj-ji. As an electronics guy I always avoid sea water touching electronics/ metallic parts. Aren't the automotive steel/ electronics/ wiring harness susceptible to corrosion? Or there could be some corrsion resistant coatings in these parts

Big thanks to you for the pink coloured sky photograph in your earlier post. Miss those moments of East coast in the evening time.]
Thanks for your wishes. Would try to include more pictures of twilight golden hours with Django.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

P.S. Salt water and Gurkhas aren't very compatible. Hope you gave Django's underbody a thorough wash after playtime ended.
Absolutely right @manuuj and @Riju.
As a thumb rule , Salt water corrodes metal five times faster than normal water. In the islands, even the air is salty and salty air is a bigger culprit for rapid degradation of unprotected /under protected components. Again thumbrule, salt air eats away metal ten times faster than normal air and is a greater threat as it’s constantly acting on the part unlike occasional water.

Add to this equation, the higher humidity here and you have a recipe for rust bucket.

It’s a big problem in coasts, and especially in islands where houses and hence cars are parked within few 100 metres of the shoreline.

Though most modern automobiles come with decent anticorrosive underbody treatment, here we do take extra precautions to do our best to protect the underbody and all exposed metals by using home/industrial coatings as much as feasible according to individual choice/capabilities. The anticorrosive coatings used on boat hulls is a strong deterrent for rust. Even cast parts like engines and casings get white deposits due to rapid oxidation.

Django got a clean wash of deluge proportions after the off-road stint and underbody got a thorough wash through. I’ll keep a keen eye out to prevent rust inception anywhere on the truck and will keep you guys posted on extra measures I institute further .

I’ve also got some learnings from the harsh off-road duties that I’m putting the Gurkha through and need to work on the hose management underbody and some protection for vital parts. Both these have been attempted by the company but could be done better. I’ll see what I can do based on a need basis and update here .
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks