Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 21:10   #151
BHPian

Uttam, Had a question for you. In my zen, there is an intermediate position between complete ignition off, and engine run. In this middle position, all electricals of the car would work, but the engine wouldn't be turning. However, in my stile, there seems to be just two positions - one where all electricals are off, and the other where the engine is running. This has made life irritating at signals and at other times when i need to kill the engine - because as soon as i do it, the audio switches off. I have to bring the key back to the "engine on" position for the audio to come back to life. When the signal turns green, and i need to start the car, the double-crank prevention irritates further, and i have to switch the ignition off, and then turn the engine. Is it just me, or is it the same with your car as well? Can anything be done about it - in terms of wiring, so that HU doesn't switch off when i kill the engine?
Old 9th July 2007, 23:14   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
Uttam, Had a question for you. In my zen, there is an intermediate position between complete ignition off, and engine run. In this middle position, all electricals of the car would work, but the engine wouldn't be turning. However, in my stile, there seems to be just two positions - one where all electricals are off, and the other where the engine is running. This has made life irritating at signals and at other times when i need to kill the engine - because as soon as i do it, the audio switches off. I have to bring the key back to the "engine on" position for the audio to come back to life. When the signal turns green, and i need to start the car, the double-crank prevention irritates further, and i have to switch the ignition off, and then turn the engine. Is it just me, or is it the same with your car as well? Can anything be done about it - in terms of wiring, so that HU doesn't switch off when i kill the engine?
This seems to be a weird one, cuz i dont have the same problem. In fact, i turn the key just a lil bit, the iginition light comes one (the one that says the spark plugs are getting ready - that light then goes off). At this point i can use all electricals in the car - music, windows, wipers, lights etc. Then i turn the key fully to start the car.

Yes, the double crank system does kick in if for some reason you can't start the car, then you have to switch it all off completely.

Dude, try just moving the key a LITTLE bit once you put it in. It should work. If you still have trouble, let me know and i'll shoot a video to make sure you aren't doing anything wrong.
Old 10th July 2007, 09:32   #153
BHPian

@Thingummy. I have connected my audio system in the 'without key' mode. So, I have to switch off the audio system manually after switching off the engine. Just make sure no 'demo' or extra lights are on for your system after it is switched off.
Old 10th July 2007, 09:41   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttamc View Post
This seems to be a weird one, cuz i dont have the same problem. In fact, i turn the key just a lil bit, the iginition light comes one (the one that says the spark plugs are getting ready - that light then goes off). At this point i can use all electricals in the car - music, windows, wipers, lights etc. Then i turn the key fully to start the car.

Yes, the double crank system does kick in if for some reason you can't start the car, then you have to switch it all off completely.

Dude, try just moving the key a LITTLE bit once you put it in. It should work. If you still have trouble, let me know and i'll shoot a video to make sure you aren't doing anything wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
@Thingummy. I have connected my audio system in the 'without key' mode. So, I have to switch off the audio system manually after switching off the engine. Just make sure no 'demo' or extra lights are on for your system after it is switched off.
Yeah, switching the electricals on without turning the engine isn't a problem. Its when the engine is running, and i have to keep the electricals running, yet kill the engine - that the problem occurs. Its not just for the audio system, but for the electric windows as well. In most cars, i can kill the engine, and still roll up the windows, as long as the key is in an "intermediate" position. I'm still getting used to the fact that if i am driving with the windows down, and turn the engine off after reaching my destination, i have to turn the ignition back on to roll the windows up. Planning to fix it with a power window relay from the remote locking system - but people are scaring me that such a setup will require wiring tampering, which might void warranty - so a little worried.

Thanks Thalavoy for the suggestion - so it is a general problem with the Palio after all, and not just with the new stile? So the way your setup works is that the HU is still running, even after the ignition is turned off - what happens if you don't manually switch off the audio unit and get out of the car? Is there some kind of a timing mechanism that ensures that maybe after 15-20 minutes of working in such a mode, the HU switches off automatically?
Old 10th July 2007, 10:31   #155

What's gonna happen ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Check this (quote from an intro here today, click the little button on the quote to see the thread) >

cya
R

I guess this is getting crazy.coz Uttamc in Mumbai also had the same problem with the leather knob & steering as well as the Immobilizer which was missing when they got their car delivered.....When the same thing can happen in different dealer in different cities (Chennai & Mumbai)....i guess it can happen elsewhere too....I don't what will happen if I buy the car here in Hyderabad.....

Note from mod: Do not use more than 2 smileys in a post

Last edited by tsk1979 : 10th July 2007 at 10:52.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:02   #156
Team-BHP Support

Spycar84,

guessme (in this post (Namaste to Team BHP)) says he found out about the steering and gearknob problem from THIS (uttamc's) thread. It has not happened to him, he hasnt got his car yet.
However, the immobilizer is no longer being offered on the 1.6.

cya
R
Old 10th July 2007, 14:11   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Spycar84,

guessme (in this post (Namaste to Team BHP)) says he found out about the steering and gearknob problem from THIS (uttamc's) thread. It has not happened to him, he hasnt got his car yet.
However, the immobilizer is no longer being offered on the 1.6.

cya
R
Rehaan, Are you sure that the immobilizer was being offered on the 1.6 and was later discontinued. I was told by the dealer that specifying this option as standard on the 1.6 stile was always a mistake on FIAT marketing's part.

OT - I've looked at the other threads on after-market immobilizers - Does anyone monitoring this thread have any idea if fitting that on the Stile will require tampering with the factory wiring (and maybe affect warranty?)

cheers!
raghu
Old 10th July 2007, 17:16   #158
BHPian

check out this picture its a screenshot of the fiat india website that STILL advertises the immobilizer for the 1.6. Dealers saying its not offered by the company etc is just nonsense. There's obviously a mess up in delivery and assembly. I dont think ANY company can get away with such unethical practices.

i even have the brochure with me, which still advertises the same.

i don't think a company like fiat can afford to make a 'mistake' in their marketing like this.

Hope someone from Fiat reads these posts and decides to do something worthwhile.
Old 10th July 2007, 17:57   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
Rehaan, Are you sure that the immobilizer was being offered on the 1.6 and was later discontinued. I was told by the dealer that specifying this option as standard on the 1.6 stile was always a mistake on FIAT marketing's part.

OT - I've looked at the other threads on after-market immobilizers - Does anyone monitoring this thread have any idea if fitting that on the Stile will require tampering with the factory wiring (and maybe affect warranty?)

cheers!
raghu
@ Rehaan:

yes dude, Uttamc in this thread & Thingummy "Its been a week now that i've been driving my formula red palio stile 1.6 sport. Liked everything about the buying experience, except the 1 week delay in shipping from FIAT, and the missing leather gear knobs, leather steering grip and the engine immobilizer - kind of disappointing after having looked forward to it based on the brochures." from thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...km-review.html have stated the same problem & both of them have their cars delivered to them.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:05   #160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Missing steering and gear knob grips and engine immobilizer ? And FIAT claim's none of the 1.6's will come with it though its been mentioned on their website and brochures?

Please tell me the FIAT fan club here is going to escalate this issue to the top brass at Fiat. I see most of them trying to urge other's to write to automags, companies, Head Office's etc when such blunders are made by other manufac's.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:11   #161
Team-BHP Support

Write to helpdesk and make sure you take the comments section damn seriously with a link to this thread! I have already taken a print of this thread to present it to Fiat India on the auspicious occasion of Fiat founders day at Fiat factory in Ranjangaon. Hope to give them a good time tomorrow .

EDIT: I didn't quite see where Fiat mentioned this -->
Quote:
And FIAT claim's none of the 1.6's will come with it though its been mentioned on their website and brochures?
. From what I can read in this thread, it was the dealers who made that statement. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th July 2007 at 18:12.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:12   #162
BHPian

Hey Uttam,

Why can't you write to the contact at Tata motors on this Immobilizer issue. This seems to be really a mess up. Call me if you need any help.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:14   #163

I think thats a great thing which you did man...writing them & letting them is what is required so that a company like Fiat doesnt repeat such mistakes again & again......Let's see what happens...
Old 10th July 2007, 18:51   #164
BHPian

Wrote to FIAT service in the afternoon, and very surprisingly got a response from Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar. He ackowledged my email, and asked me to expect a communication from the sales dept. soon. I hadn't expected to get any response to my initial mail, let alone something within 3 hours of the mail being sent!! Pleasantly surprised, and now waiting to see if i hear back from FIAT sales "soon"

PS: Noticed that the reply was cc'ed to Ricky Walters - any of you know who this person is?
Old 11th July 2007, 06:42   #165
BHPian

Received a reply from Ricky Walter, which basically ends the discussion, apologizes for the lapses, and doesn't offer any way forward... Not sure about what to do next :-(

---
Dear Mr.Raghunandan

We are happy that you have joined the Fiat family. We are sure you will enjoy everybit of driving the Palio Stile 1.6 Sport.

We are extremly sorry that we will not be able to install immobiliser in the 1.6 Sport, as the engine system was not developed for the same. As there was a communication error internally the feature was wrongly published for 1.6.

Regarding the leather cover for the steering wheel and the door knob , the same has been discontinued due to operation reasons.

We regret once again for the inconvenience.

Warm regards & Happy driving.

Ricky

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks