Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 11:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Test drive : Hyundai GETZ CRDi diesel

Folks

I was on the look out for a test drive from quite sometime and then suddenly i got a call yesterday from my bro saying there's a Getz D for a TD. So i call up my friend to join me and he picks me up in no time in his Getz. I guess the excitement of driving Getz D got him too..
Here goes my first ever report/review extremely shorty though.

I reached the HMP showroom at around 1pm and had a look at the car. The front looked nice but i kinda liked the old headlamp design which made it look fatter from front. The interior was a combo of beige and brown with some wooden finish for the center console. Everyone knows how a GETZ looks so i will not describe any further as these were the only two changes i noticed.

Interiors:
The interior beige and brownish/black finish was looking very good and was giving a classy feel but the center console wooden finish was looking pathetic. It wasn't uncomfortable or bad but they looked pretty boring. The front seats were pretty comfortable and offered good overall support, not too soft or too hard. The other change i notice is the steering wheel nice and small, same as verna. Rest everything is same as it was in Getz GLS petrol. Same speedo with RPM meter. Everything was rattle free unlike Swift.

Ride and handling:
The ride was simply amazing, great suspension couldnt test too much of the handling though took a few curves at 80 and the car was pretty composed. Braking was also good no problems at all there. The ride quality was simply stunning for a car running with 175/65-14. Infact it was better than the Getz petrol we went in which has high profile 155/80-13 tyres..I couldn't check out the handling on the curves as i was given to drive on the mathura road which is pretty straight. Braking was pretty good and no wer near bad but can't say what will happen if its pete'd..

ENGINE :
There's only one word for its "INSANE" for such a small car. I was driving it mostly at above 2000 rpm it was just pulling away relentlessly. I didn't notice much of turbo lag even when i didn't downshift but being a petrol head i could feel some at below 2000 rpm..
When the engine is switched on the noise is same as Verna motor rrrrrrrrrrrrrr but u can't hear that inside the cabin..
Rest everything is same as Verna... The torque of Swift D is very strong around 2000 rpm but the torque of Getz will literally blow off anything. In second and third gear shifts at 2000+ rpm there was huge torque steer and the rear passengers were feeling the torque thrust..I got a small stretch of empty road and it hit 120+kmph effortlessly..Ok i know most of us here know about Verna engine so i'll end the blaah blah about it.

Couldn't check the A/C as its too cold out here but i'm told its the same as the older Getz.

The dealer said he tested the mileage of the test drive car and he got about 14 (he used the full tank method). The test drive route has mild trafiic on it and the car has done close to 1800kms.

The best thing i liked about this car was that it only had a CRDi badge on the boot. Imagine a Getz D in a boring sedate color like white or real earth with petes and without the CRDi badge smoking most of the cars on road.. Hehe my wicked thinking..

All in all here's the list of PROS and CONS.

PROS:
1. Fantastic engine
2. Awesome ride comfort.
3. Nice looking interiors except for that centre console with wooden finish.
4. Spacious from iside
5. Rattle free interiors

CONS:
1. No ABS.
2. Price

Please feel free to ask questions about the car and i will try my best to answer them...

Cheers
Old 20th December 2007, 11:40   #2
BHPian

Nice review.. Sounds like a perfect car for running around in the city and parking. My wife would probably like to trade in her Ikon for this..
Old 20th December 2007, 11:42   #3
BHPian

For a diesel car I feel mileage of 14kmpl is very less. Even the petrol versions of Getz give 14. My friend has bought a Getz two days later than me in feb 2007 from the same dealer where I bought. I am getting around 12.5kmpl in city driving whereas that fellow is very lucky. He gets 14-15 in city. I use the tank full to tank full method to find the mileage. He is doing it in other way. ie he goes with the fuel low warning lamp method. I can't understand this funda. He also drives at 70-80 constantly like me.
Coming back to the point, I feel 14 for diesel is less.
Old 20th December 2007, 11:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Arun
I feel 14kmpl for that engine inside the city is more than sufficient. BTW the car i drove had only done 1800kms.
I don't think the Getz 1.3 petrol can consistently give 14kmpl inside city.
Old 20th December 2007, 11:55   #5
BHPian

Well. I heard that Indica diesel gives around 16-17kmpl in city. Indica is slightly underweight compared to Getz.
Coming back to Getz 1.3 petrol, even my manager is getting around 13.5-14kmpl in city.
Old 20th December 2007, 11:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Getz 1.3 petrol gives around 11kmpl in city conditions.
Indica diesel(non turbo) gives around 13kmpl in similar conditions.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th December 2007 at 11:58.
Old 20th December 2007, 11:57   #7
BHPian

Forgot to mention, the city driving i meant is at Mysore which surely cant be compared to Bangalore or Chennai which are nightmares.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:07   #8
BHPian

I get between 11.5 to 13 Kmpl with my Getz 1.3, this is with a/c on 25% of the time, and with a mix of 50/50 city/hwy driving.

The review of the Getz CRDi is very good but a little short. Wanted more feedback on ride quality, car behaviour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review. Thanks

It seems to be a great car other than the fuel efficiency and lack of ABS. My Getz Prime 1.3 gives 11 kmpl in bangalore traffic.

How was the braking and driveability in bumper to bumper traffic?
Old 20th December 2007, 12:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
The review of the Getz CRDi is very good but a little short. Wanted more feedback on ride quality, car behaviour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Filcord
I have mentioned about the ride quality in my TD report. It has sensational ride comfort. We all know the Getz P has good comfort but the diesel was even better with lower profile tyres..
Sorry I couldn't test its behavior in the bumper to bumper traffic as the roads i drove on were having a smooth traffic without much jam..The engine happily cruises along @ 40kmph in 5th gear without getting bogged down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Nice Review. Thanks

It seems to be a great car other than the fuel efficiency and lack of ABS. My Getz Prime 1.3 gives 11 kmpl in bangalore traffic.

How was the braking and driveability in bumper to bumper traffic?
I felt the Braking was good in a straight line, no locking up when brakes were slammed @70+kmph..
Old 20th December 2007, 13:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Arun
I feel 14kmpl for that engine inside the city is more than sufficient. BTW the car i drove had only done 1800kms.
I don't think the Getz 1.3 petrol can consistently give 14kmpl inside city.
My friend claims his Getz 1.3 gives 8-9 in the city in bangalore. He is a bit heavy footed though.
Old 20th December 2007, 13:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Is she a driver's car (handling, suspension, steering) or a passenger's car (ride) ?
Old 20th December 2007, 13:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

kp, how was the noise level inside compared to swift and honda (just for comparison sake!). my swift D engine roars too much at times giving me a headache. also, is the greater torque push kind of annoying ? my neck aches a lot with the swift when this happens out of the blue. some photos of the interior too would help a lot !!

Last edited by GeekSrik : 20th December 2007 at 13:55.
Old 20th December 2007, 14:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Filcord
We all know the Getz P has good comfort but the diesel was even better with lower profile tyres..
I knew you sacrifice your comfort if you put low profile tyres.Since the side wall height is less you feel the bumps more. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 20th December 2007, 15:41   #15
BHPian

if 14 kmpl is the mileage, then its pretty low, it will not be worth to buy it only for the sake of speed. it will be worth if it gives out atleast 18kmpl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks