Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 18:30   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Have they now abandoned the twin bowden cables that connected the gear lever to the box? Fiat used to attribute the Palio's smooth gear shift to that. Does the brochure for Stile mention this feature?

Even I found MJD's gear shift not upto the mark of earlier Palios and Adventure.
Is it called "Drive-by-wire" ??
Old 31st March 2008, 18:37   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Is it called "Drive-by-wire" ??
Drive by wire is for the accelerator - a potentiometer is used to feed the accelerator pedal inputs to the ECU (or whatever) instead of the "mechanical" accelerator cable.
Old 31st March 2008, 20:46   #303
BHPian

Hi

Wonder why fiat is going with the JTD in the Palio. The punto is in anycase slated to debut with the same. Also with the sharing arrangement, the Indica will have the same engine and probably be a sight cheaper also. One of my earlier cars was the Palio diesel and I brought the car primarily for its looks. The new grill leaves me a bit cold to be honest.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:33   #304
BHPian

Hi

Just heard from Concorde Motors Bangalore that the prices for Palio MJD is due for an upward revision in April due to the material/transport cost increase. I have already booked the car and will have to shell out more when the delivery happens. The sales guy also told me that the price of swift also will be going up in April, though he was not sure by what amount the price would go up for both.
Old 5th April 2008, 13:52   #305
BANNED

Just took a TD of the Palio 1.6 and the 1.3 JTD. I wanted to try out the palio 1.6 because my monthly running will be around 1000km. I had a sombre experience driving the 1.6 contrary to my belief and I strongly suspect that the hand brake was engaged. I had a newly appointed sales man beside me and he was a total dud
After that I took the 1.3 out and my! what a change of feeling. It felt wonderful to be in driver seat. The engine had great pull just releasing the clutch! The initial pickup is ok but you get that surge after certain RPM. I had never driven a diesel before and I entirely savoured the drive. The gear changes are soft but I liked it that way because if you are a good river you will know if the gear is in place or not without the click. The gear position also was ideally placed for me and the steering just about the right angle. One thing I observed is that the clutch has to be pushed all the way. The brakes felt sure and good but I didn't cross 60kmph due to the busy traffic
The interiors are as said by many others, no change and the a/c felt cool but not very quickly, maybe because the car was parked in the sun.
The engine sound though more than petrol one was silent enough when inside. I felt the a/c fan sound louder than the engine sound
The dealer is offering no extras for the diesel and said the delivery time is 3-4 weeks due to good number of bookings.
I don't I think I want to TD any other car and will book the 1.3 JTD in a few days.

cheers.
Old 6th April 2008, 14:44   #306
BHPian

[I don't I think I want to TD any other car and will book the 1.3 JTD in a few days.

cheers.[/quote]

ZAK congrats on your pick.I will be getting my MJD sdx on coming saturday...cheers:.If possible go for the top variant only
Old 7th April 2008, 07:15   #307
rippergeo

Had initially posted this in another thread , but decided this is a better place for palio MJD impressions than a new owner's thread. why should i rain on his parade?

OK-fiat bashing first

The car is not that huge, it just feels huge. thats not a good thing. makes it a pain to drive in traffic.for eg,the logan, although wider, is much easier to pilot in the city.
Turning circle is embarrassing. find it difficult to believe that italians with their narrow winding roads would build a hatch back with the turning radius of a truck
The doubtful parts
will fiat let us down again? are they serious this time?
why are they messing around with tata? are they blind enough not to see the conflict of interest?

Now the good parts

its a dream on the highway.
even better over bad roads.
that 1.3MJD engine makes up for all that fiat have done to us with the 1.1 and the 1.2
handles predictably in normal driving. oversteers at the limit. the way it should(for me at least)
feels sturdy

Old 7th April 2008, 07:26   #308
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
find it difficult to believe that italians with their narrow winding roads would build a hatch back with the turning radius of a truck
That's because, this thingy wasn't made for those countries. It was specially built for DEVELOPING nations.
Old 7th April 2008, 07:46   #309
BANNED

After due deliberation I booked the Palio MJD SDX- a black one, yesterday. I haven't told any in my house; want to give them a surprise .
I did the booking at Concorde Motors after having a bad experience with Manipal Motors. These dealers are plain stupid, the latter just lost a customer for want of enthusiastic and cordial sales men!
The dealer was offering nothing but after much haggling agreed to part with mudflaps, mats and perfume. The insurance provider is TATA AIG and I felt ok with them after going through the feedback here- thanks folks, but again no discounts from them too. The delivery period given is 3-4 weeks. That also gives me some time to explore the ICE and tyre options for my new car; yippee ... I am off to the accessories and tyres section
Old 7th April 2008, 08:14   #310
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
That's because, this thingy wasn't made for those countries. It was specially built for DEVELOPING nations.
and I suppose...developing nations dont have narrow winding roads?

Old 7th April 2008, 08:26   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Had initially posted this in another thread , but decided this is a better place for palio MJD impressions than a new owner's thread. why should i rain on his parade?

OK-fiat bashing first
The car is not that huge, it just feels huge. thats not a good thing. makes it a pain to drive in traffic.for eg,the logan, although wider, is much easier to pilot in the city.
Turning circle is embarrassing. find it difficult to believe that italians with their narrow winding roads would build a hatch back with the turning radius of a truck
The doubtful parts
will fiat let us down again? are they serious this time?
why are they messing around with tata? are they blind enough not to see the conflict of interest?

Now the good parts
its a dream on the highway.
even better over bad roads.
that 1.3MJD engine makes up for all that fiat have done to us with the 1.1 and the 1.2
handles predictably in normal driving. oversteers at the limit. the way it should(for me at least)
feels sturdy
Hey rippergeo, just saw your sign off tag with the swift DDiS and the Verna CRDi. Just thought you would be the best person to give an opinion on comparing the 3 cars on

1. INside Cabin Noise
2. Engine Power Delivery
3. Gear Ratios (Leading to more or less changes in city/highways)
4. Ride COmfort.
5. Confidence at higher speeds

Which car would you say is a real drivers car that wont make you feel tired even after a long drive. ANd which would be the VFM car.

Sorry for the long list of questions. Just enthusiastic since you've got first hand experience of the best diesels around.
Old 7th April 2008, 09:26   #312
Senior - BHPian

I picked up my furnace red SDX last week on thursday. I paid Rs 5,34,000/- on road. The dealer threw in a AUTOCOP keyless entry system and the insurance guys gave me a Rs2500/- discount. My NCB will be refunded after I sell my other car.

The dealer ARASPVPV gave me the right level of service and were punctual to a T.
I own a Sienna 1999 model and hence let me give you my impressions.

NEGATIVES:
The pedals are closer together than on the Sienna. Takes a little getting used to.
The power is not very linear and the band is narrow. The rush past 2000 rpm tapers off pretty quickly after 4000 rpm.
The clutch is very sensitive and the free play seems excessive.
The interiors are real plain Jane. My Sienna seems to have better plastics.

POSITIVES:
It is fairly quiet once warmed up.
The rush past 2000 rpm makes you smile.
The ground clearance is good.
The ride is very good and specially so on poor roads.
The car seems very solid and not tinny like a Maruti.
The seats are very comfortable and space all around is very good.
The mileage, though I am yet to refill my tank seems to be around 14 kmpl, and for me that is good as my driving keeps the engine on the boil.

Overall, my ownership experience so far has been good and I will start another thread with the photographs and regular updates. Will I recommend the multijet?
Most certainly, YES!

Last edited by jyobeb : 7th April 2008 at 09:28.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:05   #313
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassid View Post
The new grill leaves me a bit cold to be honest.
BSM's latest issue says the grill looks like the grill from a Fedders Lloyd airconditioner. Coincidence?
Old 7th April 2008, 11:57   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
BSM's latest issue says the grill looks like the grill from a Fedders Lloyd airconditioner. Coincidence?

LOL!!! only BSM could come up with something like that!!

ELito
Old 7th April 2008, 12:19   #315
Team-BHP Support

hey but what they (BS M) said is true, check the window ac grill and then you will understand what they meant

I like it though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks