Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 15:32   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Hita subjectives judgements are OK not gross mistakes. For someone reading this thread as reference it will give him/her wrong information.
Some of the statements are just gross if you think about it:
1) "The A piller definitely thinner".... It warrants the change in die that casts it, calling for major expense. I can bet there's no change in the A pillar.
2) Sheet metal is thinner... again the die will need to be changed for this, again a very major expense. Besides the car weighs exactly the same, the difference in the older 1.2 and the 1.1 weight is due to the smaller engine in the stile and not the thinner sheet metal. I have driven the MJD and door still close with that reassuring thunk. Even magazines who have driven the car say the same.
3) I havent come across any EPS system in a car which is better than a hydraulic system. EPS is definetly lighter which would help in parking and taking U turns but thats about it.

Whatever be the opinions, we can definitely have a discussion and that is how I am taking it.
I think extreme torque is very correct.Changing the die is an expensive option.Judgements should be based on verifiable information rather than based one's subjective feelings.But this has opened a very interesting discussion on the topic of the bulid quality MJD
Old 8th April 2008, 15:45   #347
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

body roll(most body roll to least)
Palio>swift>Indica
Guys! sorry! this is a typo.
it should read...(least body roll to most)

palio had the least body roll, swift was intermediate and the indica was worst.
apologies!

for everyone who doubts what I've said about the MJD, drive an older 1.2 or a GTX to feel the difference in build quality.

Last edited by rippergeo : 8th April 2008 at 15:49.

Old 8th April 2008, 16:18   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Hita subjectives judgements are OK not gross mistakes. For someone reading this thread as reference it will give him/her wrong information.
Some of the statements are just gross if you think about it:
1) "The A piller definitely thinner".... It warrants the change in die that casts it, calling for major expense. I can bet there's no change in the A pillar.
2) Sheet metal is thinner... again the die will need to be changed for this, again a very major expense. Besides the car weighs exactly the same, the difference in the older 1.2 and the 1.1 weight is due to the smaller engine in the stile and not the thinner sheet metal. I have driven the MJD and door still close with that reassuring thunk. Even magazines who have driven the car say the same.
3) I havent come across any EPS system in a car which is better than a hydraulic system. EPS is definetly lighter which would help in parking and taking U turns but thats about it.

Whatever be the opinions, we can definitely have a discussion and that is how I am taking it.
Hey buddie dont say that none of the die in the new palio is not changed.It is simple logic that the car looks way different from the old one even in size.
regarding sheet metal thickness change in die is not required ,but it is obvious that all auto makers are using auto grade steel except TATA.So thickness is same across brands but the difference would be in the stiffenning points and the way it is moulded.
Third point -TRUE in all respects.
ram
Old 8th April 2008, 16:22   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Hey buddie dont say that none of the die in the new palio is not changed.It is simple logic that the car looks way different from the old one even in size.
The only thing different is the bonnet, door handles and the rear hatch door. The profile is exactly the same as old car. Changing the body shell requires major expenses and modifications. Ever wondered why the new model at most times is a bumper and bonnet job?

Quote:
regarding sheet metal thickness change in die is not required ,but it is obvious that all auto makers are using auto grade steel except TATA.So thickness is same across brands but the difference would be in the stiffenning points and the way it is moulded.
May I know why? Are you telling me that thickness of the sheet metal on a wagonR or a Santro is the same as the Palio??? NO wayyyyyy!
Old 8th April 2008, 16:53   #350
BHPian

Quote:
ram
Ram are you sure about this point.I really dont think across the brands the sheet metal thickness is same...if its true then we need not discuss the sheet metal quality?
Old 8th April 2008, 17:12   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
regarding sheet metal thickness change in die is not required ,but it is obvious that all auto makers are using auto grade steel except TATA.
Just FYI, your Maruti's auto grade steel is supplied by Tata. Your Hyundai's too. Tata Steel is the largest supplier of Auto Grade steel in India - what makes you think they dont supply to Tata Motors?
Old 8th April 2008, 17:43   #352
BANNED

The steel gauge could still be same but there surely will be different grades in auto steel.
Old 8th April 2008, 19:48   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ram
Sorry to say it, but your statement is hogwash. the MJD stile is the same size as any other palio.
Old 8th April 2008, 21:00   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Third point -TRUE in all respects.
ram
No way!! Are you saying that the sheet metal thickness of Maruti 800 and Skoda Fabia are the same? In that case the sheet metal quality would not vary so much across models/ brands.
Old 9th April 2008, 02:01   #355

Hi Friends My boss was looking for a car in 7 L range so suggested to check the Dzire. We test drove the car (ZDI)for good 15-20 Km. Here are some comparative stats with Palio.

Build Quality:- Swift feels built with thinner sheet metal as compared to the palio. One cannot press the metal body on the palio while leaning or standing . I could feel the Dzire's to be quite thin as could feel the sheet body of the door being pressed while just balancing my weight . The door of palio are quite heavy and the feel is totally different.

Ride Quality:- The ride quality of palio is anyday better and one feels more safe. Very less vibrations and outside noise. One thing the noise of the engine in the DZIRE were less than the Palio. The max speed we drove was 110 and was feeling very insecure on that road. Whereas The palio on the same stretch felt very stable. But found the handling of DZIRE better than the Swift VDi on bad patches but still not as good as the Carpet feel of palio. It gives you a tank feeling that nothing can deter it from its path.

Steering Response:- Would rate the swift Steering in response a point lower than the Palio. It may also have to do with the TD car.

Comfort:- Rear seats would rate at par as the dzire has more legroom and more comfortable seating as compared to the Swift.

Build Quality:- No doubt the palio is far better in Build than any of these two but would rate the DZIRE's ZDI interiors as well as features a steal for 7.2L on road Delhi.

One Aspect I would like to cover is the power delivery. Swift feels a bit less responsive in terms of delivery and one actually feels the Turbo Lag. Palio is more linear and just goes on.

One thing I would like to change in the Palio is getting the Swift Gearbox. It feels much better.

Warranty; Was surprised to know that Maruti is still offering 60000Km or three years whichever is earlier warranty. Fiat is offering 150000 Km/3 yrs whichever is earlier warranty. Wonder why Maruti is still offering so less.
Fiat is also offering two years warranty on paint quality.

No doubt Dzire is a good buy but if one was thinking of buying a Swift VDi would still advice to drive a Palio before making the decision.

Verdict on the DZIRE:- A steal for the price and offers quite a luxury at that price. Just that in this thread we are comparing it to a Palio.
Old 9th April 2008, 07:00   #356
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aushdeep View Post
Hi Friends My boss was looking for a car in 7 L range so suggested to check the Dzire. We test drove the car (ZDI)for good 15-20 Km. Here are some comparative stats with Palio.

Build Quality
Ride Quality
Comfort

One Aspect I would like to cover is the power delivery. Swift feels a bit less responsive in terms of delivery and one actually feels the Turbo Lag. Palio is more linear and just goes on.

One thing I would like to change in the Palio is getting the Swift Gearbox. It feels much better.
nice report aushdeep.
agree on everything,especially the bits I've quoted from your post.
the only disagreement is the steering feedback. but we'll get nowhere by arguing about that.

power delivery- very true. the palio delivers its power linearly. you wont notice the turbo lag.

you will definitely notice it in the swift, but I wouldnt have it any other way. most of time I upshift in the swift and drop it out of the powerband, just to feel the kick at 2000rpm.

Old 9th April 2008, 08:20   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aushdeep View Post
Yes it feels more linear. I feel it is more because of the first and second gear ratios I had mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
9) It is very interesting to note the gear ratios here.
Palio:
1st 4.2
2nd 2.2
3rd 1.4
4th 1.0
5th 0.8

Swift:
1st 3.54
2nd 1.90
3rd 1.23
4th 0.91
5th 0.73
Palio feels linear for sure, but at the same time feels jerky in first and second gears and not as smoth as the Swift. I feel it is so because of the enormous torque at 2K RPM and a higher gear ratio. But from the third gear onwards, its almost the same feeling in both the cars.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:17   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question.

My friend has booked a Palio Multijet SDX (Magnesium Grey) on the 16th of March 2008 at Prerana Motors. Initially he was told that the car would probably be delivered in about 20 days. But when enquired yesterday the manager is still telling that he has no concrete info as to when the car would be dispatched, more so he now says it might about one more month or so.

Can anybody give the contact details of Fiat, email address and telephone number. It would really be helpful

Thanks in advance
Old 9th April 2008, 12:32   #359
Senior - BHPian

Delivery of MJD is delayed everywhere ..... i went to the showroom yesterday for collecting some paper for my 1.6 and asked the sales person about MJD sales and he told me so far they have sold 8-9MJD and they have no further stock, all dealers have given 10 MJDs for a month. they have ordered 20 more MJD but there is no response from FIAT lol ...... dunno y FIAT is doing this, one way they are trying to get back in the game and they don't have enough capacity lol
Old 9th April 2008, 12:40   #360
BHPian

True Rahulkool.Fiat somehow want to spoil the show.The demand for SDX cannot be met by them it seems and they are offering SDE instead.I am supposed to get the vehicle this week.But it seems the dealer have no clue.I think once their production is in full swing in maharashtra things will be better.Otherwise people will again lose confidence in this company
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks