Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 10:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

The car looks great in Grey. Congrats!!

The running in information should be there in the user manual.
Old 15th April 2008, 15:31   #32
BHPian

why sde

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2008 at 14:37.
vigneshram is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th April 2008, 00:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Mileage at second tankful - 15.43 kmpl - Ac on 80% of the time

Just to update, did my second tankful today and the car had consumed 38.48 litres to travel 594 kms... approx 15.43...before first service.... AC on 80% time, engine running at long red lights (waiting period more than 90 secs at times) and a fair share of traffic jams. However, I expect my driving to improve (tend to hit higher gears at lower RPM because of petrol habits or take traffic jams in second gear instead of first at times.) and the first service to improve things as well. That might, however, be compensated by higher RPMs as I increase my self-imposed limit of 2500 RPM. So, I am expecting a realistic mileage of 16-17 kmpl (at par with the Swift VDi)

@Vignesh: SDX was beyond my budget.. I had already stretched from 4 lakhs to 5 lakhs. Don't miss any of the features except left ORVM... but at the rate people lose them in Delhi traffic and the fact that they cost Rs 2800/- a piece and that the dealer didn't have the left window plastic panel to go the window and still doesn't has all together left me deprived of it.
Old 21st April 2008, 00:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Update after 1st Free Service and 1000 kms

As my Second Update, the experience of the First Service and 1000 kms. Finished 930 kms in 14 days of usage. It was a long weekend and work pressure was less. (Normally even weekends are very tiring). So decided not to leave things for later. Hell! I was not going to wait till 1500 anyway because the manual says 1000-1500 kms. Reached Vivek Automobiles, Mathura Road, Delhi at 9.45 am with 939 kms on the odometer.

Service Experience.
Reception and Initial Response was quick enough. But it required some amount of standing on the staff's head to get the job done quickly. Handling was good and staff was careful with the car. Washing and Cleaning was good and upto the mark.

My car was the first 1.3 MJD to be serviced in this Workshop, so it did attract a bit of a crowd. Normally, Vivek Automobiles is still trying to sell them, so finding one for service was a surprise for them, too!

1st problem - Training on the 1.3 MJD: Only one person was trained by Fiat at Vivek Automobiles to service the 1.3 MJD. Thankfully, a quick conversation with the Workshop Manager solved the issue. He put that particular person on the job. But before this conversation, it was a bit of a shock to find that one chap couldn't locate the Oil Filter!

Parts, parts, parts: Left ORVM, not available! Radio Antenna, not available! My ICE shop is still looking for an antenna that fits the slot on the roof of the Palio, so the FM Radio is not very clear.

First part replaced under Warranty: From the day of delivery, the left turn indicator did not self-cancel on straightening the steering. The whole console below the steering (both the light and wiper stalks included) was replaced (thankfully, under warranty!).

Oil and Oil Filter Changed by me despite not being required by manual: Influenced by the discussions on this topic, and further guided by my experience with another car and a bike, I asked for an oil change and an oil filter change. I think a new engine would have a little more friction and would wear off the lubricants' viscous qualities faster. So, I decided to spend the extra money and get it done, although Fiat advises the first oil change at 7500 kms only. I also went in for the Bardahl additive. Maybe its superfluous, but I have used them on my Pulsar right from the first oil change and the engine has retained its pick-up, smoothness, power and mileage almost as good as new for 30,000 kms and more, so I think its a good idea to use an additive.

Other Engine Fluids: Strangely, even without a leak, the other engine fluids like the coolant and the power steering fluid had gone low (at min mark in just two weeks of usage). The staff blamed the PDI dept for that (I didn't point out that it was their own showroom). Will monitor closely now.

Costs:
Engine Oil: Approx Rs 800.
Oil Filter: Approx Rs 200
Bardahl Additive: Rs 450
Coolant and Steering Fluid top-up: Rs 275 approx
Set of five Rubber caps for Tyre Air Pressure valves (originals provided are thin and tend to crack, so I bought a heavy-duty set) Rs 125.

Total Costs Including VAT: Rs 1,912.

Add to that, my costs for the ICE and seat covers, approx Rs 10,000.

One may note that except for the coolant and steering fluid top-up, everything else is because of my choice and these could be avoided.

Results: Engine had smoothened out and become more free-revving over the past 200 kms or so, but today it was wonderful after oil change. For the first time, keeping it within 2500 rpm was a little painful (Yes, I have moved my limit to 2500 from 2000 rpm after the service.) Engine sounds quieter now. Body rattles or sounds (except for an occassional rattle from the Parcel Tray) were nonexistent and remain so. Gearbox slots better (or maybe I have got used to it).

Summing Up the case for the 1.3 MJD so far:
To be honest, despite everything, Fiat has baffled me with one or two funny cost-cutting measures in the SDE version.
Inside of the boot hatch does not have a plastic panel and the metal structure is exposed. Thank God one doesn't see it because of the Parcel Tray. Handbrake lever looks really flimsy, though it works. And the grey plastic on the dash looks really bad as compared to the smart black colour of the older Palios. (Will explore the possibility of getting it painted!)

Driving this car is a great experience and I would give it a 8.5/10 (one and a half mark less for big turning radius, non-progressive brake pedal feel and a somewhat heavy clutch. Owning this car has been trouble free so far, but its way too early and the real test will be when something stops working.

So far, so good. The trial continues for the Palio 1.3 MJD, because the jury needs more proof for the verdict.
Old 21st April 2008, 08:30   #35
BHPian

Architecht,

Your updates and feedbacks are really good and certainly would be useful for people like me who are awaiting delivery of the new MJD.

It would be great if you can share your ICE details., also some pics with the seat covers.
Old 21st April 2008, 09:14   #36
Team-BHP Support

It appears that the Bardahl disease is afflicting all service centers.
Rather than concentrating on service, these guys try to pimp their warez wherever possible.
Old 21st April 2008, 10:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wow "Mileage at second tankful - 15.43 kmpl - Ac on 80% of the time" (in city)

This mileage is neat, considering that its a new car !

btw is bardhal necessary for new engines?
Old 21st April 2008, 10:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Even I got Bardhl engine tuneup and flush done in my 3rd service. Somehow I am feeling the engine has become super silent and smooth than it was before.. I also opted for Bardhl super duty which according to service adviser improves the viscosity.. BTW I own Palio 1.2 sport..
Old 21st April 2008, 11:08   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Even I got Bardhl engine tuneup and flush done in my 3rd service. Somehow I am feeling the engine has become super silent and smooth than it was before.. I also opted for Bardhl super duty which according to service adviser improves the viscosity.. BTW I own Palio 1.2 sport..
you would not need the high viscosity if you go for an engine oil which meets the specifications of the temperature range you use the vehicle in.
For example, in Delhi summer heat go for a 20W50(with same API grade) instead of a 0W30 or even a 10W40
Old 25th June 2008, 00:26   #40

ownership experience - Palio Mjd SDX

got my palio exactly 40 days back, took delivery from concorde motors, bangalore.

I was impressed by the service level and customer friendly attitude.....until i took delivery and after some distance realised that the speedo did not work... it was disconnected!!!!

Looks like they where using my car as a demo car...on questioning them , the agent replied that the speedo in all cars are disconnected during PDI and maybe they forgot to reconnect mine!!! Now i must be !!!!

anyways this car drives really well inside city traffic , it was a pleasure to drive this car. Returned a incity mileage of 11 and 11.4 till 1st service.

They attended to this complaint of low mileage by cleaning out the air filter and " erasing the memory on this chip" ( could someone throw some light on this)

But i am happy to state that this memory thing worked.....now my car gives me 15 kmpl on city drive with 75% AC , and 60% driving at less than 35 Kmph due to traffic.

Got michelien tyres - 185 70/R13 instead of the stock 165 80/R13 and must say the handling has improved. Same rims though...could not find 98 pcd rims after market...and concorde motors had the gall to quote Rs. 7000 per rim for the original fiat alloys.

The only complaint i had earlier was that the wheels locked on hard braking....car just skids..this has improved with the new tyres. Brakes are very responsive and bites hard....however emergency braking still results in locked wheels...wish they had given ABS as an option.

Waiting to do a highway drive ..will update the mileage then
Old 25th June 2008, 00:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for reviving this thread, I had forgotten about it myself. If you got the Demo Car, I hope you don't have any problems. Congratulations!
Old 25th June 2008, 10:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
you would not need the high viscosity if you go for an engine oil which meets the specifications of the temperature range you use the vehicle in.
For example, in Delhi summer heat go for a 20W50(with same API grade) instead of a 0W30 or even a 10W40
Hmmmm so seems they took me for a ride
Old 25th June 2008, 11:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbelly View Post

They attended to this complaint of low mileage by cleaning out the air filter and " erasing the memory on this chip" ( could someone throw some light on this)

They re-mapped the ECU and optimised the engine after the running in.

Last edited by F50 : 25th June 2008 at 11:56.
Old 26th June 2008, 11:51   #44

Did a 250 Km highway drive yesterday on my palio mjd. Got 18.5 Kmpl with 60% AC, 100 -120 kmph and two occupants.
It sure feels solid on the highway even at 120 KMPH, the handling is good, brakes bite well, and you would'nt know that u are travelling at 120 till u look at the speedo.

Mileage checked on tankful to tankful basis.
Old 26th June 2008, 23:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

My Neemrana highway trip gave me about 19 kmpl on NH-8. Average speed 65 kmph, top speed 130 kmph on two occassions, usually cruising between 75-90 kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks