Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:20   #106
BHPian

Hi Sajan, congrats on your new car.

I would like to know how you are driving the car during the run-in period. Let me know as I am upgrading from Indica non-turbo to Verna VGT.
I always used to keep the engine in idle mode for 3 minutes before starting from home to office and vice versa. This would make the engine smooth and better pickup. The hyundai dealer mechanic told for any diesel car this is a good practice. So let me know if such a thing is needed in Verna.
Old 23rd May 2008, 19:14   #107
Team-BHP Support

Idling for a minute after switching on and before switching off is a good practise.
For a car with Turbo it is not only a very good but rather an essential practise
Old 23rd May 2008, 20:42   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Idling for a minute after switching on and before switching off is a good practise.
For a car with Turbo it is not only a very good but rather an essential practise
Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Hi Sajan, congrats on your new car.

I would like to know how you are driving the car during the run-in period. Let me know as I am upgrading from Indica non-turbo to Verna VGT.
I always used to keep the engine in idle mode for 3 minutes before starting from home to office and vice versa. This would make the engine smooth and better pickup. The hyundai dealer mechanic told for any diesel car this is a good practice. So let me know if such a thing is needed in Verna.
Hey girish.r.,

Thanks. I do keep the car idle for 2 mins atleast at the first start up after that, at the traffic signals, depending upon the duration, i switch off the car and then when the counter reaches 15 I start the car the leave it to idle.

Only after i crossed 500Kms, I turned on the AC till then did not switch the AC on. So far the car is smooth and pick up is too good. love to see the other cars as a dot in the rear view mirror

Waiting to finish 1000kms after which planning to post a detailed initial ownership report with pics.

Regards,
Sajan.
Old 23rd May 2008, 20:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hey girish.r.,

Thanks. I do keep the car idle for 2 mins atleast at the first start up after that, at the traffic signals, depending upon the duration, i switch off the car and then when the counter reaches 15 I start the car the leave it to idle.

Only after i crossed 500Kms, I turned on the AC till then did not switch the AC on. So far the car is smooth and pick up is too good. love to see the other cars as a dot in the rear view mirror

Waiting to finish 1000kms after which planning to post a detailed initial ownership report with pics.

Regards,
Sajan.
Sajan, thanks for the info.
Please update on the RPM at which you are changing the gears and also in-gear speeds.

Thanks & Regards,
Girish
Old 25th May 2008, 19:03   #110
BHPian

sajan putting some snaps with fogs light on and off
Attached Thumbnails
My view on Verna CRDi+ABS coming soon. EDIT : Advait Hyundai backs out of commitment-24052008001.jpg  

My view on Verna CRDi+ABS coming soon. EDIT : Advait Hyundai backs out of commitment-24052008002.jpg  

My view on Verna CRDi+ABS coming soon. EDIT : Advait Hyundai backs out of commitment-24052008003.jpg  

Old 27th May 2008, 13:49   #111
BHPian

Hey Girish,

Thanks for the Pic's. well, I still have not crossed above the 3000rpm mark, changing gears within 2500 rpm.

Your car's fog lights looks better than mine, looking at your pics, you can atleast see that the fog lights are switched on, in mine i cant see even that. did you do any modifications to the fog lights??

Regards,
Sajan
Old 27th May 2008, 20:22   #112
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Sajan, thanks for the info.
Please update on the RPM at which you are changing the gears and also in-gear speeds.

Thanks & Regards,
Girish
for city, heavy traffic driving, i.e bumper to bumper,
best to upshift really really early and let the idling engine carry you around. it does a good job in 3rd gear at idle.
basically upshift in bumper to bumper at1600rpm or so.
watch out for the ECU instructing the car to move forward rapidly at very low rpms if the car is about to stall(hope I made sense with that statement)
it takes some learning to actually drive the car smoothly in heavy traffic. but once you pick it up, its heaven.

for mileage - best to upshift at 2200 -2500

for pretty scary acceleration- upshift at 3500-4000rpm
try that on highways and clear roads only or when you are drag racing with overpriced petrol sedans

if your breaking in the engine- dont take it beyond 2500rpm.
dont know if the breaking in process is really reqd, but I did it any way, just to be safe.

BTW- if you're looking at the tacho- dont bother looking at the speedo.
you dont have time to look at both, the way this car takes off.

Old 27th May 2008, 20:30   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
for city, heavy traffic driving, i.e bumper to bumper,
best to upshift really really early and let the idling engine carry you around. it does a good job in 3rd gear at idle.
basically upshift in bumper to bumper at1600rpm or so.
watch out for the ECU instructing the car to move forward rapidly at very low rpms if the car is about to stall(hope I made sense with that statement)
it takes some learning to actually drive the car smoothly in heavy traffic. but once you pick it up, its heaven.

for mileage - best to upshift at 2200 -2500

for pretty scary acceleration- upshift at 3500-4000rpm
try that on highways and clear roads only or when you are drag racing with overpriced petrol sedans

if your breaking in the engine- dont take it beyond 2500rpm.
dont know if the breaking in process is really reqd, but I did it any way, just to be safe.

BTW- if you're looking at the tacho- dont bother looking at the speedo.
you dont have time to look at both, the way this car takes off.
Hey rippergeo,

Thanks for the input. One question, can you tell me what's the exact use or should i say what can I connect into the 12V socket??? can i connect Laptop or a cell phone.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 27th May 2008, 22:30   #114
rippergeo

Quote:
Hey rippergeo,

Thanks for the input. One question, can you tell me what's the exact use or should i say what can I connect into the 12V socket??? can i connect Laptop or a cell phone.

Regards,
Sajan
its best not to use the 12volt outlet to charge any costly electronics, unless you have no other option.
screws up the device batteries sometimes.
inspite of that risk, I myself use it to charge my cellphone and Ipod while travelling.

Hyundai does offer a car inverter as an accessory which is supposed to make things easier and safer, but I have no reviews of it, neither have I seen it in action.

Old 28th May 2008, 19:45   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey rippergeo,

Regards,
Sajan

I have used the invertor from AXIOM which is being promoted by the Hyundai A.S.S in blore. It works fine in an emergency situation, although i havent had any long term issues with using the invertor of the 12v port. I have run the Lpatoo, Digi cam charger and even a small amplifier off this invertor...
Old 28th May 2008, 20:49   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I have used the invertor from AXIOM which is being promoted by the Hyundai A.S.S in blore. It works fine in an emergency situation, although i havent had any long term issues with using the invertor of the 12v port. I have run the Lpatoo, Digi cam charger and even a small amplifier off this invertor...
Hey Hellstar,

Which invertor from AXIOM do you use, the 75w or the 120w??? and by using this does it affect the battery and how much did it cost you and which A.S.S did you pick it up from. sorry for long questions.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 29th May 2008, 11:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Hellstar,

Which invertor from AXIOM do you use, the 75w or the 120w??? and by using this does it affect the battery and how much did it cost you and which A.S.S did you pick it up from. sorry for long questions.

Regards,
Sajan
Its the 150W one i believe there is also a 300 W one available but i didn't foresee any use for it at the moment...
Old 29th May 2008, 13:59   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Its the 150W one i believe there is also a 300 W one available but i didn't foresee any use for it at the moment...
Is it ok to use the 150w in a 120w socket???? and normally does it strain the battery??? while you connect the laptop while the car is not moving.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 29th May 2008, 15:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it ok to use the 150w in a 120w socket???? and normally does it strain the battery??? while you connect the laptop while the car is not moving.

Regards,
Sajan
Oh my god if the socket is 120 w then i would have already blown my fuse when i ran the 150 W amp from that socket , but It didnt ...anyways i have to get this checked out if its 120 W then better stick to the numbers

Most Viewed