Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 01:55   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Does the Auto also suffer from this upshift rpm jump problem?
If toyota does realize this problem I dont think it will be a hassle to repair as adjusting the ECU should do the trick.
No, I've driven two AT cars & they don't have this problem.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:02   #122

I filled the tank and checked the mileage till now. I got exactly 13kmpl in Bangalore city. I was surprised. But, I was driving very slowly, keeping 60-70 whenever possible. Hope, once I start driving faster, my mileage will come down.
I felt, the gears and the clutch are little bit tight. may be because it's a new car, hope, it will be better after driving some more days. I drove around 600km in 15 days...
Old 15th January 2009, 12:19   #123
BHPian

Hey Abhinav
Found this excerpt at TOVA.
" As the new L15A i-VTEC features Drive-By-Wire and paddle shifters, this also means two characteristics which many enthusiasts have minor complaints about with previous Hondas employing this technology. DBW as implemented by Honda introduces a little bit annoying 'rev-hang'. This is the engine sustaining its rpm for a short while after the throttle has been released. However, this rev-hang is annoying mainly when used with manual gearboxes. With the 5AT, it should not be that much of an issue as the gear-change is coordinated by the ECU so I think this might be a trivial point"
It seems the Rev Hang situation you found in Altis be attributed to Drive by Wire technology.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:05   #124
Team-BHP Support

I sent an e-mail to TKML to explain this problem/feature. They were very prompt and called up the next day. A technical guy spoke to me and explained the whole thing in detail.

He says that the Altis uses DBW and this feature is a known one and not a problem. Basically it holds the rev's rather than drop to allow for a smooth downshift. Since many people do not rev-match to downshift and just slot the gear in without increasing the revs it loads the engine and drive train. To prevent this the car holds on to the higher revs so a down shift is not jerky.

The disadvantage is the jerky upshift which he says you can get used to and after driving it a while you will not realise.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:39   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I sent an e-mail to TKML to explain this problem/feature. They were very prompt and called up the next day. A technical guy spoke to me and explained the whole thing in detail.
Absolutely fantastic of Toyota to be willing to explain things !!!

Quote:
He says that the Altis uses DBW and this feature is a known one and not a problem. Basically it holds the rev's rather than drop to allow for a smooth downshift.
Quite in line with what TOVA said about the ANHC,attributing the RPM surge to DBW.Do we have any ANHC owners seeing the same RPM surge while shifting gears?
Old 19th January 2009, 16:52   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Having a CVT NHC I have turned anti-CVTs, I like them for the FE they return but the rubber band effect is horrible.
I think the rubber band effect is there in the old Corolla, but is not a bother, pretty tolerable, and is perhaps perceptible only in perhaps hard revving. I sort of rationalise it this way that the rubber band effect is even in a manual, as we shift gears.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:06   #127
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone seen cars hood jumping up and down in few english hip hop videos. That is caused by pressing the accelarator fast and leaving it fast, then again pressing it and leaving it. If you do that in Altis and any other car with this tech, it will minimise that jerk. (I know it is funny) but this is an extreme example. This tech makes the ride very very smooth, sepcially at speeds above 30, you just leave the accelarator suddenly (which we do often in trafic) and it doesn't jerks a bit. I never found this tech unusual as it is there also in my 2005 Ikon flair.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:10   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Has anyone seen cars hood jumping up and down in few english hip hop videos.
ummm.. hydraulics?
Old 20th January 2009, 21:56   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

He says that the Altis uses DBW and this feature is a known one and not a problem. Basically it holds the rev's rather than drop to allow for a smooth downshift. Since many people do not rev-match to downshift and just slot the gear in without increasing the revs it loads the engine and drive train. To prevent this the car holds on to the higher revs so a down shift is not jerky.

The disadvantage is the jerky upshift which he says you can get used to and after driving it a while you will not realise.
Thanks for this info Vid6639. A perfectly good reason after all.

Rgds,
Old 29th January 2009, 15:25   #130
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spot the Difference Competition: Corolla versus Altis.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Altis - Test Drive-moto_0385.jpg  

Toyota Altis - Test Drive-moto_0384.jpg  

Old 29th January 2009, 15:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

Both cars look similar, but on closer examination, I think the one on the left is the Altis.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:04   #132
BHPian

The one on the Right side is the Altis in the Golden color. If you look closely the curves on the bonnet can be spotted. I am not sure if corolla came out in Gold color.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:53   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

The are really similar from the top view. Its the front end and interiors that make the major difference.
The gold one is the Altis.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:03   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spot the Difference Competition: Corolla versus Altis.
The one on the right is the Altis. The difference in headlamps and tail-lights worked for me.

But it is interesting to see the way the body curves in in the Altis. Looks like more glass and less metal is used in the Altis.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:09   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Both cars look similar, but on closer examination, I think the one on the left is the Altis.
Hahaha! See what I mean. It is the one on the right that is the Altis. They are just so similar, I firmly believe that the Altis isn't an all new platform.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks