Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 18:16   #136
Senior - BHPian

The gold one with the goldfish eyes is the Altis.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:21   #137
BANNED

Bonnet ridges on the Golden one on the left side gives it up! Also the rear is more sleeker, so the Altis.
Old 29th January 2009, 20:26   #138
Senior - BHPian

The one with Hour glass curves(Oooo ) is Altis.
Old 29th January 2009, 21:07   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hahaha! See what I mean. It is the one on the right that is the Altis. They are just so similar, I firmly believe that the Altis isn't an all new platform.
OK, gotcha! I agree with your viewpoint regarding the platform being the same.
Old 29th January 2009, 21:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha! See what I mean. It is the one on the right that is the Altis. They are just so similar, I firmly believe that the Altis isn't an all new platform.

From what I have read on the internet, I think that Corolla Altis is an all new platform.
The wheelbase remains the same but the interior space increases. Similarly the safety rating at Euro NCAP are also higher that the earlier Corolla.
Corolla E120 had scored 4/5 for front impact at Euro NCAP.
Source : Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Toyota Corolla

Corolla Altis i.e. E140 has scored 5/5 for front impact at Euro NCAP.
Source : Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Toyota Corolla

The external dimensions more or less look the same, but there are changes to A-pillar and C-pillar as both of them are pushed towards the end points of the car as much as possible.
Old 30th January 2009, 00:11   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GTO, so what? All BMWs share a 'family' look....you can spot a Beemer from a distance. Are you going to laugh at the commonality in that too?

I owned both cars...and know the diff. The one on the right (Champagne Mica...gold to us mere mortals, the same colour as my car) is the Altis.

Rgds,

R2D2
Old 30th January 2009, 12:09   #142
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
GTO, so what? All BMWs share a 'family' look....you can spot a Beemer from a distance. Are you going to laugh at the commonality in that too?
R2D2, There is a substantial difference between maintaining a family look, and having two extremely similar cars. Compare each new generation of the 3 / 5 / 7 series to the previous. The newer generations have very little in common with the outgoing. Hell, even Tata & Mahindra now have a family look (for instance, Tatas smiley grille).

However, the Altis comes across as more of an evolution of the previous Corolla rather than an all new platform. There are simply too many similarities. Look at the roofline, near identical! As is the engine, wheelbase etc. etc. In fact, most of our ownership reviewers commented on the same aspect too.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:16   #143
Senior - BHPian

I agree on the above that the new Altis does not mark a drastic change from the previous one, at least in specs and technical features. There are of course new features such as cruise control, etc. It is also claimed to give higher FE. However, I did like the look of the new Altis look when it was launched in 2006.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:21   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
R2D2, There is a substantial difference between maintaining a family look, and having two extremely similar cars. Compare each new generation of the 3 / 5 / 7 series to the previous. The newer generations have very little in common with the outgoing. Hell, even Tata & Mahindra now have a family look (for instance, Tatas smiley grille).

However, the Altis comes across as more of an evolution of the previous Corolla rather than an all new platform. There are simply too many similarities. Look at the roofline, near identical! As is the engine, wheelbase etc. etc. In fact, most of our ownership reviewers commented on the same aspect too.
Can you also put a birds eye photo of the new 2009 BMW 3 series and previous, say the 2007 or 2008, model on this site and pose the same question to the members of this forum. I'd like to see how many can identify the cars correctly.

Agreed that the Altis is not revolutionary, it is definitely an evolution of the old car. It has retained it's family look now having similarities with both the Camry and the 9G Corolla. I also know most of the folks here find the 9 and 10G are very similar. But the simple question is, why is it amusing?

Cheers!
Old 30th January 2009, 14:43   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually that is what next generation is called. Its another way of looking at things. Many like to get a totally new product, but most don't. I know many OHC owners who hate NHC and also know many NHC owners who hate ANHC. I have seen many people wishing for Honda to evolve their designs and not just change everything each time. Toyota when brought in Innova did not called it New Qualis. If they get a new platform they will give it a new name. I think Toyota has done a great job in keeping the lines same and then evolved. Evolution of generation is good than revolution of generation... Someone in India would never like his new born to look like European or Japanees, no one would, they’d like him to have similar features to previous generation.

Excellent example of generation evolution is Octavia and Laura. You can see same lines and at the same time see the revolution. But sadly in India they gave it two different names.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th January 2009 at 14:45.
Old 30th January 2009, 18:52   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I agree on the above that the new Altis does not mark a drastic change from the previous one, at least in specs and technical features.
Here's a Corolla owner talking!

Quote:
I did like the look of the new Altis look when it was launched in 2006.
So do I. I love the way that the Altis looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Can you also put a birds eye photo of the new 2009 BMW 3 series and previous, say the 2007 or 2008, model on this site and pose the same question to the members of this forum. I'd like to see how many can identify the cars correctly.
I'll be the first to tell you that the 2009 is a mere facelift. And 99% identical to the 2007 or the 2008, all three of which are the same E90 platform. The 2009 is NOT a new generation.

Quote:
But the simple question is, why is it amusing?
Simply because this is a first for Toyota. Compare the current Camry to the previous, or the outgoing Corolla to its predecessor. Entirely different, distinctly unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Actually that is what next generation is called. Its another way of looking at things. Many like to get a totally new product, but most don't.
Ym-enjn, I appreciate your obvious love for Toyota. Believe me, it is the manufacturer I respect the most. And I do like the Altis for the practicality that she offers. However, lets call a spade a spade. This is the first time that two supposedly new generations of the Corolla have been so similar. Atleast, in recent years.

Quote:
I know many OHC owners who hate NHC and also know many NHC owners who hate ANHC.
The two have an entirely different USP. As I have posted earlier, the ANHC is a great car. But not a fitting replacement for the practical NHC.

Quote:
If they get a new platform they will give it a new name.
The current Camry is entirely different from the one they used to sell 3 years back. Last I checked, Toyota uses the same nameplate for either. The reason they let go of the Qualis nameplate is that the Innova has a higher pro-individual owner positioning than the taxi market Qualis.

Quote:
Excellent example of generation evolution is Octavia and Laura. You can see same lines and at the same time see the revolution. But sadly in India they gave it two different names.
One point of yours that I agree with. Here is a fitting example, maintaining the family look but still, an entirely different car (in size, dimension design direction etc. etc.). Remember that the Laura is actually the new Octavia and meant to replace the older one. Why do they sell both side by side in India? Simple. How else would the fleecing Skoda have Indian customers pay 19 lakhs for an Octavia!
Old 30th January 2009, 20:34   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. How else would the fleecing Skoda have Indian customers pay 19 lakhs for an Octavia!
So there’s the point, if they don't want to take Corolla onto the 19 Lakhs price range and want to give more at that same price than what they have done is a great job. Its a new car, bigger on length and width. Height is less. Inside space is more. Design is different, features and comfort is different. Things are similar but almost everything is different, even the rear glass and roof top in photo above is different. Agreed, borrowed many looks from previous generation even the engine is same so that shows that it is done deliberately. None of us think that Toyota cant give a totally different look.

We must remember that they have not given it a new brand name and haven't charged a premium on it by presenting it as a better and bigger car. They simply say its your New Corolla at same price.

I get your point about dynamic change, I too agree on dynamism. I strongly support and expect dynamic design and technology change but keeping the same lines of that product brand.

I can imagine dynamic ‘Hybrid Corolla Hover’ in 2050 with Hover tech and tires in one car, but would be happier if I could relate it to my 2008 Corolla Altis on few lines. Like what Beetle is doing in centuries (preserving the art).

PS: Did I crossed the word limit..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th January 2009 at 20:35.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:42   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be the first to tell you that the 2009 is a mere facelift. And 99% identical to the 2007 or the 2008, all three of which are the same E90 platform. The 2009 is NOT a new generation.
Simply because this is a first for Toyota. Compare the current Camry to the previous, or the outgoing Corolla to its predecessor. Entirely different, distinctly unique[/quote]

I rest my case. Even the hallowed BMWs and Mercs are not entirely immune to the fact that sometimes retaining a family look may be a good thing. I could spot a Beemer from a distance but upon looking at it closely wouldnt be able to tell the difference between immediately preceding model and the current one.

I agree. The main driver behind the new Camry and the old being completely different was the rather dowdy look of the previous model. The new Camry came in as a drool worthy machine. I love its looks...so European. The old Accord (circa 2005 model) looks like a wimp.

Do I love Toyota? Well, yes I think so! My father drove me and my bro around in a Toyota Corona we were kids (have pics) and living abroad. We went for long drives and picnics. He sat me on his lap whilst driving so I could hold the steering in my tiny hands something taboo nowadays. I helped him wash the car at 5 years of age. That is when my love affair with cars began. Bikes came in much later.

My family and I were very happy when I bought the 9G and happier still when I bought the Altis. If positive emotions combined with a big dash of Toyota nostalgia, excellent sales & service and bullet proof reliability (arguably more than the German cars) are good enough reasons, then I may buy another Toyota all over again.

Cheers!
Old 30th January 2009, 21:13   #149
Senior - BHPian

what is the exact FE altis owners are getting here...? any variations b/w the onboard computer and ur actual FE
toyota din launch the altis in 2006 cos then the camry was launched and it wud have eaten out the camry sales..
Old 30th January 2009, 21:34   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
what is the exact FE altis owners are getting here...? any variations b/w the onboard computer and ur actual FE
toyota din launch the altis in 2006 cos then the camry was launched and it wud have eaten out the camry sales..
See this. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fficiency.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks