Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 10:49   #1
BHPian

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic

Selling my Accent Viva Petrol. What to buy?

ANHC (Too big to manouvre)
Fabia (Phew, relieved I did not get into the Skoda web)
i20 (good car but… UNDERPOWERED!)
i10(A/T) (nearly cancelled)
Linea MJD (considered)

i10 Magna(A/T)
finally (getting delivery today)!!!

to be continued...
Old 18th April 2009, 12:03   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Selling my Accent Viva Petrol. What to buy?

i10 Magna(A/T)
finally (getting delivery today)!!!
Excellent choice. My wife has a Santro A/T and it is such a pleasure to drive in the city. Sure the mileage is only about 10 kmpl, but the comfort and convenience is definitely worth it. And it isn't bad on the highways either. Easily crosses 100 and consistently returns 15+ kmpl on long-legs.

Do post a few pics of your new toy.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:08   #3
BHPian

It all started with our plans to sell off our 5 yr old Accent Viva 1.6 9800kms on the Odometer. YES its just 9800kms no typo. The thing is that we need 2 cars, one for work & 1 for home. The car at home is used by mom & the wife. So we started with our journey of getting a new car.

ANHC
First we considered the ANHC S MT, but the real reason of not going for it was the same reason the Accent wasn’t driven much, driving a sedan was an issue at home coz of parking issues, judgement, ease of driving & manouvering ability in areas like bandra west. As many who stay in Mumbai must be aware that the biggest bane in the burbs are autorickshaws coz they drive like twits. On the other hand they’re a boon to folks at home, all they do is call the security from the intercom to stop a rickshaw down & they hop on to their journey with ease not having to worry about driving, parking etc with their mobile, purse, etc in one hand. Lets not get into it or I wont be able to stop. But considering the length of the car & the overall useability we dropped the idea.

Fabia
Next was the Fabia. This was one car that was really high on my list. All was ok until I spoke to a guy at Autograph cars Andheri East to get me a car to test drive. All the time he said ok, sir gimme some time & blah. I specifically told him I wanted a petrol, so he called me one fine day after more than a week & says ill get the car to your industrial estate (exactly 5 minutes drive), I said fine, before keeping I asked again, you’re getting the petrol right? He says no, I’ll get the diesel & it’s the same driving experience. This was enough to get on my nerves. In between I had good interactions with Fabiosi’s netchef, ajay etc. Thanks all of you for your help. Also this car was near to 4m in length which was still big by the 2 home ministers’ standards. Luckily as days progressed and harish & evo’s issues with skoda cropped up, I thanked my stars for not getting me entangled in the web.

i20
Anyways after this I saw the i20. Frankly I really liked the car a lot, the brown interior dash, the MID, the electrically foldable ORVM’s all were really neat. But I was not convinced with the engine. With 2 people on board it was fine but not effortless, I felt that there was a slight strain on the engine. I just felt the car is a tad underpowered. So I was not convinced on that front.

next... i10

its taking me a long time to type, pardon the multiple posts...

Last edited by anilkalvani : 18th April 2009 at 12:09.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
Excellent choice. My wife has a Santro A/T and it is such a pleasure to drive in the city. Sure the mileage is only about 10 kmpl, but the comfort and convenience is definitely worth it. And it isn't bad on the highways either. Easily crosses 100 and consistently returns 15+ kmpl on long-legs.

Do post a few pics of your new toy.
thanks helios, still have not got the car, expecting it today.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:52   #5
BHPian

i10
By chance he said that you can try the i10 too, the automatic was standing right out there, the top end Asta version. I said maybe some other time. After 3-4 calls from him, I finally relented, he brought the car over & I test drove it. This was my first drive in an automatic, was pretty easy to drive after a minute of instructions. Nice feel to the steering, car was pulling ok & the slight jerk of the gears changing was a new thing. The car had a sunroof but I was interested in the base version only, i.e. the magna. The reasons are:
1. The Asta AT comes with a sunroof, its not optional. All cars in my building are parked under window grills. Every car has got bird droppings, small dents caused by pebbles, food particles, etc. since we have open parking spaces. Plus the price tag did not justify the impact of the car.
2. We did consider the Sports but another issue came up, most importantly I wanted my ICE setup, the Sportz had an in dash setup with speakers. The only additional thing I missed was the rear wiper & rear defogger. Frankly used the wiper several times (in the Viva) but never the defogger in climate like bombay.
3. Also since I’ll be getting alloys with upsizing, V Kool & mostly getting Stanley’s, i though saving up would be a good option hence decided on the Magna.

Dealer:
The dealer I contacted was A-1 Hyundai, 3 buildings away from my unit. I called the sales executive Navin for negotiations & gave him the booking amount cheque (50,000) on 22nd March with an assurance that the car will be delivered on the 3rd & invoicing would be done before 31st March for depreciation purposes. Ok, now the real story starts, before the booking it was he who would call me 3-4 times in a day until he got the booking amount cheque. After that, all the way I was the one calling him. Called on the third, he says sir it will take 3-4 days more, now confirmed 7th April. I was angry, but took his word as there are many public holidays in April & clearing the cheque & RTO formalities due to these holidays must have been an issue so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I also fired him that if he knew cheque clearing was going to take time i could have given him a Pay Order, it was his duty to keep track of bank holidays.

Ok now its 7th, and he does not pick up my phone. As I was busy too I just let it be and tried on the 8th. Not picking again. Finally on the 9th I had to make a visit to the showroom. The sales executive was not there. I was fuming & got the whole showroom down, people trying to calm me down, prospective customers at the showroom also had a worried look on their face, fearing the same fate as mine. Met the sales manager there, she apologized but was not taking responsibility for the act of her sales executive. Finally after a lot of convincing she said that you will now get the car on the 17th. “Imagine booking the car on 22nd March & getting it on 17th April, isn’t that irresponsible on your part” I told her. After finally relenting she gave me a letter in writing that I will get confirmed delivery of my car on 17th April.

15th I got a call from another executive Sumed that the executive Navin has been fired because of the misunderstanding and now I will be handling your case. He has misplaced the photographs for RTO & the form which requires thumb impression. He came to my place to collect the photo & my TI. Ok now I call him on 16th April, he does not answer my phone. After 4 tries he picks up and gives me another executives mobile number as I am out. Called this new guy Pradeep around 6.30pm, said was busy in a meeting and will call after 10 minutes. Never got his call. Now came the 17th.

phew this is taking a while... more coming up...

Last edited by anilkalvani : 18th April 2009 at 13:04.
Old 18th April 2009, 13:16   #6
BHPian

17th April Friday. The same thing happens and now I am ready to explode. I send a fax to their showroom about the written promise letter given by their manager. Now again this lady was not coming on the line. I sent another fax in bold letters (font size 24) about the incompetence of the showroom people & how Hyundai appointed them Auth. Dealers. Think that letter made an impact as the sales manager called me. Now she says I will not get the car before Wednesday 22nd April. So I said coolly to her ok please refund me my money back with interest right now. She said sir invoicing has already been done for 31st March & blah. I told her ma’am the last date for paying sales tax is 21st April, so please don’t kid me, I want my money back. Ok she says sir I will call you in 10 minutes, i.e. about 3pm. As usual did not get a call, called the showroom and the receptionist (who by now recognizes my voice and calls me by first name) says that Ma’am is busy with a customer, she will get back. That did it for me.

I went to their showroom at 3.45pm. Told the reception I want to meet your GM. Before he met me he was briefed about my case by the sales manager & the sales guy Pradeep. Met me and tried to convince me that it was his sales executives fault & all. I just told him one thing “If you kid breaks your neighbours windows while playing cricket, will you tell your neighbour that its not my responsibility take the money from my kid”. Today I make a mistake or do not deliver my goods on schedule, I cannot give lame excuses about my workforce. I told him that the bullet has already left the gun, I want my cheque back. After 1 hour of trying to convince me he told me, apologizing profusely, to collect the cheque tomorrow.

I left the showroom at 5pm. In between dad convinced me to called up Fortune cars for a Test drive of the Linea MJD, scheduled it for Sunday. Imagine after all that harping for a small car, we were now thinking of a sedan. Maybe it was just a knee jerk reaction.

At 6pm I get a call from the Director of A1 Hyundai Auto trying to convince me once more, but he did not make any lame excuses as the others did. Finally after 10 minutes, he says sir I will give you your car tomorrow afternoon at 2pm with a premium registration number. I told him ok, at 2pm tomorrow its either the car or the cheque. Got a call again at 7pm from his PA and she said sir I will make sure you get your car by 2pm on 18th April, 2009 and I will keep you updated when the car leaves our yard in Bhiwandi & when it reaches here.

Today its 1 pm & there has been no phone call nothing from there… waiting… wait I got a call at 1.10pm from his PA Ms. Komal, saying the premium number has been allotted as per the director’s commitment but you will get the car between 5.30 & 6pm as we will have to fit the FOC accessories. I will keep you updated.

Anyways, I would like to thank fellow bhpians who helped me along the way. Thanks tyre guru iraghava for your inputs, tejas for your ownership updates & accessorizing feedback.

More when I get the car…

Last edited by anilkalvani : 18th April 2009 at 13:17.
anilkalvani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 21:02   #7
BHPian

Got it... finally!!!
Old 19th April 2009, 00:06   #8
BHPian

woah, what a hair-raising experience my friend. I actually did read the article, well almost
Hope you got the baby !!!
Old 19th April 2009, 00:40   #9
BHPian

Congrats Anil on your new i10-AT!
Your write up too is fascinating.
Drive safely. Cheers!
Old 19th April 2009, 01:15   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the car but a sad experience.

Time to post some pics.
Old 19th April 2009, 04:14   #11
BHPian

Welcome to the i10 AT family bro. It is an awesome car to drive. Enjoy driving and provide some pics of her also.
Old 19th April 2009, 07:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

WOW! That was some experience!

What the nuts with these people! Taking our money and then acting as if they are doing us a big favor!!!

Anyway, let it behind! Hope you have a great ownership experience.
Old 19th April 2009, 08:39   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your i10 AT, post your experiences with your new car, there are quite a few members now on the forum who are enjoying it.
Old 19th April 2009, 08:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
woah, what a hair-raising experience my friend. I actually did read the article, well almost
Hope you got the baby !!!
Yup finally got it at 7pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwetorch View Post
Congrats Anil on your new i10-AT!
Your write up too is fascinating.
Drive safely. Cheers!
Fascinating, but harrowing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Congrats on the car but a sad experience.

Time to post some pics.
Yup posting pics in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Welcome to the i10 AT family bro. It is an awesome car to drive. Enjoy driving and provide some pics of her also.
yup awesome experience & 2 near misses, will post a writeup later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
WOW! That was some experience!

What the nuts with these people! Taking our money and then acting as if they are doing us a big favor!!!

Anyway, let it behind! Hope you have a great ownership experience.
Exactly they give us hell after taking our money in advance, i gave them a full amount cheque on 30th March. Thanks.
Old 19th April 2009, 08:54   #15
BHPian

fantastic, a good looking car with upscale interiors and a dream to drive in the city what with an Auto box. I got to tell you i suggested the same car for my father to get!! Hope you got her in red, or white.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks