Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2005, 12:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice first drive report veyron. Looks like a good buy now.
Old 25th May 2005, 12:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice report man, I have a gut feeling this car's going to become very very popular indeed.

ABS, EBD and airbags for around 5 lakhs ex-showroom? Isnt that a bit low?
Old 25th May 2005, 13:56   #18
BHPian

Good report veyron...

There is so excitement and hype around this launch that its unbelievable. i guess this is the car that will turn around maruti's image.

apparently they have remapped the esteem engine to get a flat torque curve like in the Wagon R & Baleno
Old 25th May 2005, 13:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

thank you all!!! i am so happy at your rave responses!!!

sure, rjk, you can accompany me; but these kind of stuff happen at the drop of a hat, and i do these test drives in, well, a hurry.i had almost the same experiences with the lancer invex, pulsar 180 dts-i, etc.... so, if you can meet up within 15 mins of me callin' ya, then you are most welcome, he.. he.. he..

and evo, the NHC and swift fall into entirely different categories. if the buyer wants ease of driving, and if the parking spaces that he usually drives to, are at a premium, then it's the swift for him. but if he wants more space, comfort, class, and a boot, then it's the city.
but overall, swift is good value for money, and even though the city is better in terms of equipment and space, the swift seems to be a choice that you simply won't go wrong with. plus, you save more than a peti over the city, so...... and regarding the fuel efficiency, expect the swift to give 12-13 kmpl, in city, with a/c. the city would give 11-12 kmpl under the same driving conditions.

yes, autopsyche, the swift is bring launched in delhi today. yeah, do try to hitch a test ride, but most importantly, please squeeze out the pricing first, somehow, so we can put all the speculations to an end....

yes, tabrez02, even though the block is from the esteem, the driving experience in the swift is nothing like the former.

yes, harrie, the prices seemed to google me too, but the guy quoted these as ex-showroom, so we can expect @ 5.3-5.5 on-road, bombay.

thanks, john....

yes, scuderia, even i wanted the multi information display, as an option, at least in the zxi- the similarly priced corsa sail seems to have one, so why can't the maruti???

and as for the speed.... the entrance to vasai branches in from the mumbai-ahmedabad highway (which is an NH), and i have about 20 kms of highway, towards mumbai, where you can easily touch 170-180; given the car; and there are long stretches towards ahmedabad, where you can touch even 200 kmph!!! so, if you wanna catch some serious speeds, come to vasai, or khargar dude.... there are excellent highways here, and these are at an arm's length away from my home- boy, am i happy!! and it isn't far off from bombay either- a trip to andheri in my 180 takes just about one hour. add another half if i have a pillion, or if it's a car. and these timings are with sedate driving....

gordon, i tested the car in vasai- at the mumbai-ahmedabad highway, to be precise. and i can't say the dealer's name as yet- but will quote it later, if you require. the guy said that he could get in some serious trouble, if anybody else found out that a non-personnel, other than auto-journos or maruti officials, had test driven the car.
oh, yes, the alloys...damnit, yaar...!!! i forgot to take them pics... but the alloys are 7-spoke ones, shown in the site; so, i guess you should get a pretty fair idea....
and yes, the rear seat is big enough to seat three, and the comfort levels are, well, okay. but it's way better than the esteem's rear bench, and comparable to the baleno, indica, and the palio.
the boot space is marginally larger than indica (220ltrs), at 232 ltrs. but smaller than palio's, which has trunk volume of 260 ltrs. overall, the boot space seemed sufficiently large.

and thanks, dippy. but the first demo swift arrived in bombay at 21st (i think), and noone was allowed test drives; only the permitted personnel, not the general public.

thanks, islero; but the pricings seem okay, as the similarly priced getz offers abs and alloys, so, let's wait and watch..........

thanks, rahul. yes, they have done some work on the esteem block; more in the ignition area. the swift's head employs the digital distributorless ignition (or ddl-i,in maruti lingo), a concept borrowed from the wagon-r, and the baleno.

Last edited by veyron1 : 25th May 2005 at 14:00.
Old 25th May 2005, 17:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice review veyron! good shots of the car. But, maybe a few pics from the side angle, the font 3/4th angle would have been better.
Old 25th May 2005, 17:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

gotta admit the fact

Tested by Auto Editors and Team BHP members.
Old 25th May 2005, 18:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Does the vxi version comes with all 4 windows power operated? What are the other features (usable) other than cosmetic changes
Old 25th May 2005, 19:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

ooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Have just completed a 4 km test drive on the highway outside my office. On my way, saw the car on display in Pratham opposite my office, so I took one of my "silent" high speed U turns and drove in and parked my Vtec…needed to make an impact with the small crowd gathering.

Found that a lot of the guys in my group were there, when they started saying “hi sir!”, I was immediately offered a test drive, that is if they could find the car…anyway lets talk about the car.

Burnt orange is the launch colour by the look of it. There was a Vxi on a platform outside – looked cute but something was wrong, hmm what was it. The wheels, reminded me of the Indian Lancer, it made the car look like retro-communist product. Hmmmmm, on my journey of self discovery, I figured why I like women in heels….back to the topic.

Paintwork of the figure…whoops sorry bodywork looked good, nice and even. Popped the bonnet and saw the engine stuffed inside. Looks like people modifying it will need to drop the engine out instead of lifting it out. I then realized the cost-cutting – the engine bay was literally in primer.

Opened the door – the thunk test – better than a Corolla but not as close to an NHC. Door felt substantial. So I plonked myself in the drivers seat. Comfortable with decent space, you sit high but in the sear, not on it like one would do in a Santro. Looked around, I could have sworn that the car was designed by Mother Hubbard and co. Absolutely bare, not naked but bare. Boring black plastic everywhere. We say the OHC has boring black plastic but at least the material is of a high quality and hard wearing but over here, think Maruti Omni. The Santro has some class and even the Getz looks better although I felt the Getz console looked dicky. Only control was the heating controls – sounded like a cute chick of the feathered kind….cheap, cheap.

Okay – backseats – comfortable, I could sit behind myself…in town. Seat are of a good quality. Boot looked smallish not sure if a Palio licks it over here. My JBL sub would dominate proceedings in there. I was then directed to a Zxi.

The wheels made on the difference but I would do better and look at some bling stuff elsewhere. Interiors the same except for a nice climate control system.

Onto the test drive- watched the car come and go till my turn came. Sat in the back. Going on the pocked service road, ride was settled but knobbly. First guy driving it was appalling – torque bouncing the gears, driving too close. I wondered if we were going to test the airbags. He tried testing the ABS around the dog but the car was stable enough not to need the ABS to kick in. Brakes fet sharp.

My turn – now – spent the first 200 mts getting used to the car. Gear change was smooth but where was the power. With the climate control on, all the power was sapped out – did not get to try with it off. I started with a sprint – fast changes were easy but one felt a little disconnected. Only at 4000 rpm did we see progress. Steering – stable and very sensitive but again that lusty feel/ sensitivity that you get in a Peugeot / Honda Vtec ain’t there. It does not talk to you, it just does what you want. Heck, I don’t want to marry an obedient servant, I want someone who talks back and wrestles - if you are thinking of mud baths – we better get back on topic.

Braked hard to avoid a motorbike jumping lanes from 80kmh. It was effective, ABS never kicked in signifying the limits far exceed the cars. Back on the service road, knbbly ride, no steering kick back.

Verdict – Remember that luscious girl next door. Remember when you finally asked her marry her and she insists on sitting in the front seats of the cinema, eating rice and sambar and nothing more, does everything efficiently and goes to sleep immediately when she gets to bed. That’s how I felt. You need to tease and extract the perfomance out which it will do unwillingly. Old men like me are too old to make an effort. You will realise how the value was derived when you sit in the car. Even a bog standard Innova looks better inside without feeling cheap. I liked the car but I would hold back until the 1.3 JTD or a 1600 comes out.

What about the Getz - well dash is more exciting, I like its minimalistic looks, the split rear seats are usefull and it has more space. Drop a 1.6 tornado engine and watch the fun

Last edited by ajmat : 25th May 2005 at 19:54.
Old 25th May 2005, 19:52   #24
BHPian

Veyron,

Tell me more about the cargo space.. I presume that the rear seats must be 40:60 foldable right?? How does the luggage space compare to say a Wagon-R.

Manish.
Old 25th May 2005, 20:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
I liked the car but I would hold back until the 1.3 JTD or a 1600 comes out.

Didnt understand

What about the driving smoothness? Does VXI comes with 4 windows power operated
Old 25th May 2005, 21:27   #26
BHPian

Nice review Veyron, Ajmat.

The pricing is really great. Swift scores there.
Plastics comparable to omni ?? now this is a dampner. Getz scores in terms of plastics and internal space.
Need to check out the engine and compare the drives. Pretty soon.

It would be interesting to see how Hyundai responds to the price calling. A desperate move or show some freebies .... needs to be handeled very delicately.

Tarun
Old 25th May 2005, 21:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

well man23 ish, the boot space in the swift is 232 litres, and no, the rear seat isn't split/fold, but bench-type, and it folds as a unit; not split.

thanks for pointing out shravan. sorry for the pics, yaar- but will try to get some better ones for my next exclusive (maybe the fortuner or some other biggie), he..he..

gordon, i'm guessing that's a good thing.......

well, ajmat..... kinda harsh there, but yes, the swift isn't as fast as you expect it to be. but cudos to maruti for providing it with the abs; will be really helpful in future mods.....

the 1.6 is just undergoing talks, and the 1.3 jtd diesel won't come out till 2007, so no point in holding your horses, man. and the engine bay seemed sufficiently big to me. remember, the european versions have the 1.5 vvt engine plonked into the same bay, which produces 101 bhp, so it's enough. and if you want to plonk the tornado engine into the getz, then do the same to the swift by putting the baleno engine in it, and then watch, who comes trumps.....

the a/c, does sap quite a bit from the engine, but it is very powerful, nevertheless. and try driving even the vtec with the a/c on, and you will find that there's a significant difference in performance. but you also have to remeber that the swift weighs more and has less power. you can't judge the car keeping a vtec in mind, yaar. try the getz or the palio instead, and you'll see the light.and for getting a true picture, drive the car with, and without the a/c as i did. i found that it picks up pace,without the a/c, well, adequately.

the swift has a very capable chassis, and it's ride and handling are better than the getz or the palio's- even you have to admit that. yes, the interiors are dull, like i had mentioned before, but then it's built to a price-trademark maruti. but it ain't that bad; the getz does have slightly better looking interiors, though...and c'mon, man- you can't compare it to the innova's; the latter is much more roomy, is a muv, and has the best interiors in it's class; but you have to admit, that it's at least better than the indica's or even the palio's.and the swift's plastics are grey-ish, man, not black....

but overall, in terms of value, ride, handling, and capability, the swift emerges as the winner. yes, like you said, the car's brakes outshines the car's capabilities itself, but only it's engine's, not it's chassis'. the chassis seems capable enough to handle 200 horses,or even more, and is definitely better than all the others in it's class- even baleno, which is a class apart!!

and since the car is priced at 4.90 ex-showroom, thane, (which translates into 5.30-5.40 on-road) my dad wins, and we will be going in for the swift; but like i had mentioned earlier in another post, i will be plonking in the baleno's engine into it's bay; and then we'll talk about performance...
Old 25th May 2005, 22:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1

well, ajmat..... kinda harsh there, but yes, the swift isn't as fast as you expect it to be. but cudos to maruti for providing it with the abs; will be really helpful in future mods.....

AJMAT- Agreed - but everyone is going goo-goo-gaga and not boiling down to reality

the 1.6 is just undergoing talks, and the 1.3 jtd diesel won't come out till 2007, so no point in holding your horses, man.

AJMAT - am in no hurry - but those testerone freaks might be disappointed

and the engine bay seemed sufficiently big to me.

AJMAT- Let me know when you take the engine out !

remember, the european versions have the 1.5 vvt engine plonked into the same bay, which produces 101 bhp, so it's enough

AJMAT - I know - but where is it over here ? Besides, tye external dimensions do not change, just 50 cc machined away from each cylinder

. and if you want to plonk the tornado engine into the getz, then do the same to the swift by putting the baleno engine in it, and then watch, who comes trumps.....

AJMAT - well no one can answer the question yet

the a/c, does sap quite a bit from the engine, but it is very powerful, nevertheless. and try driving even the vtec with the a/c on, and you will find that there's a significant difference in performance.

AJMAT - slight rather than significant in my experience

but you also have to remeber that the swift weighs more and has less power. you can't judge the car keeping a vtec in mind, yaar.

AJMAT - true but an 800 MPFI, ZEN MPFI and Esteem provide pretty good thrills !

drive the car with, and without the a/c as i did. i found that it picks up pace,without the a/c, well, adequately.

AJMAT - the person testig the car - did - the difference was appalling

the swift has a very capable chassis, and it's ride and handling are better than the getz or the palio's- even you have to admit that.

AJMAT - I do not deny it it - my issue is that it is not involving

yes, the interiors are dull, like i had mentioned before, but then it's built to a price-trademark maruti.

AJMAT - so you'll accept cheap workmanship - because it is a "brand value". With the volumes, they could afford to do better - look at the Honda City - more quality for a lower /same price compared to the OHC

and c'mon, man- you can't compare it to the innova's; the latter is much more roomy, is a muv, and has the best interiors in it's class;

AJMAT - space apart - why not - it is a volume player - a boggo basic innova does not feel shortchanged

swift's plastics are grey-ish, man, not black....

AJMAT - okay, I meant brab

but overall, in terms of value, ride, handling, and capability, the swift emerges as the winner.

AJMAT- agreed, agreed, agreed

the chassis seems capable enough to handle 200 horses,or even more,

AJMAT - I doubt that much - too much torque steer

and we will be going in for the swift; but like i had mentioned earlier in another post, i will be plonking in the baleno's engine into it's bay; and then we'll talk about performance...
AJMAt - good luck !!!!

Look,I never said the Swift is bad, just look beyond the hype. The Getz is over priced now, my guess is that they will up the engine siz - does not cost them anything -
Old 25th May 2005, 22:30   #29
BANNED

Quote:
that makes two of us, montoya.....
So been there done that and now.. :WTF:

Congo to have get your hands on her... which dealer did you go to???
Old 25th May 2005, 22:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

well, regarding the engine bay, at least it's as big as the esteem's (almost).....

and i was never head-over-heels regarding the swift; i had mentioned this earlier- i was more interested in the baleno; and i pinned my reviews totally unbiased, based on the product in front of me. yes, at first, i was disappointed a li'l bit, but then i started thinking like an enthusiast and an auto-journo; and found that the swift is pretty okay for that sorta moolah, and segment-wise: it offers enough thrills- at least it's the best in class.

and honda's interior's are good, i agree, but let them try offering the same for the swift's price.....and it's not the workmanship, the materials that have to be obtained for the purpose determine the impressions of the interiors to a large extent. the build quality and the workmanship of the swift parallel that of the honda's, but the materials used are cheaper, that's all.

agreed, that's no excuse- but if the interiors were spruced up to the city's or the innova's levels, then the prices would be ballooning up, too; which is why i said, the interiors are okay for it's price and class, because at the end of the day, that's where the comparisons will begin and end. if you want to compare a maruti to a honda, then try the baleno to the city- there's a more compatible comparo. and yes, the baleno's interiors are a drab when compared to the city, in which case, your point stands true regarding the quality of the interiors. at that price, maruti could have used better materials for the baleno to compare it with the city's, or better it. but it isn't a letdown, though-IMHO.

and regarding the torque steer, maybe a couple of LSDs should do the trick, eh??

Quote:
AJMAt - good luck !!!!
thanks, buddy- will keep everybody updated on the mods.

thanks, montoya- but i still haven't got a chance to max her out, yaar- the official top speed is 160 kmph (i believe she's slightly more capable), and the engine redlines at 6000 rpm- i didn't get a chance to do both these figures.....

Last edited by veyron1 : 25th May 2005 at 23:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks