Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2005, 21:47   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Driving a car with less power makes you a better driver as you don't have that reserve power to help you out when you make a mistake. I know, I used to own an first gen engined Astra for many years, but could still outdrive every OHC I came across. No jokes, no exaggeration.

For me, the way a car handles is far more important that mere peak horsepower figures. Unfortunately I see too many people who discard a great car simply because if appears to lack power on paper. .
i was about to say the same.u stole my words.the actual fun in driving lies in a lesser powered car.and what to say about the thrill u get when you take on a more powerful car on the turns.
the 1.6 or the 1.5 M-series engine will definitely be fun,but the 1.3L swift is definitely not underpowered.
Old 29th May 2005, 22:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

If one were to ask me to rate its performance on a scale of 10, i would give swift 9.75

It does accelerete. Try it for yourself. If anybody is having any doubts.
Old 29th May 2005, 23:07   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Driving a car with less power makes you a better driver as you don't have that reserve power to help you out when you make a mistake. I know, I used to own an first gen engined Astra for many years, but could still outdrive every OHC I came across. No jokes, no exaggeration.

For me, the way a car handles is far more important that mere peak horsepower figures. Unfortunately I see too many people who discard a great car simply because if appears to lack power on paper. "oh the TDi has only 90 bhp" or "the swift has only 87bhp". Peak horsepower is nothing. Its all about how it is spread out. After extended driving in the Corolla with 125hp, I can safely say that the 90bhp TDi will outperform it everywhere except a drag strip. And we all know its the corners where the fun is. Any idiot can do 190kmph down a long straight!

So to conclude, and I have said this before, I just can't wait to get my hands on the Swift. It just seems so right. It's one of those cars that you know is done right, even before seeing the darn thing in the flesh! The only other car that comes close here is the defunct Palio 1.6GTX, but lets not go down that road again.

my sentiments exactly!
agree with u completely rtech
Old 30th May 2005, 00:09   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am glad that some talk about the Swift being underpowered is cleared up...I for one dont even consider the NHC to be underpowered. "Power" is a relative term, and as long as the car does what its supposed to do - fine. However, the NHC does feel to have more than the 77 bhp that it has, and is extremely effortless to drive in the city and on the highway.

Coming to the Swift - Its only 0.1x seconds slower than the Esteem MPFi to the 100!! Not only that, its actually quicker in the 0 - 90 dash than the Esteem. I think that in the 5 lac bracket, it is certainly in the top 3 performers.

Buttttttttttttttttt you want even more power? Go modify it. You will have plenty of after-market support with that Esteem powermill under the hood.

Appreciate the Swifts strengths where they are...instead of blindly disregarding it for "only" 87 bhp.

GTO
Old 30th May 2005, 00:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Rtech... u said it pal. Honestly... to put it into perspective... the car is nearly as fast... or maybe faster than the Ikon 1.6, which is 25 kgs less, has 4 additional bhp and around 15Nm of extra torque to play around with. That is some achievment nonetheless.

With it being a good 2 seconds faster than the Getz... it really is a stonker of a hatch. It'd be unfair to compare it with sedans... but what the heck... it performs as well, and even better than some sedans in the 5-6 lakh bracket.

Revv
Old 30th May 2005, 10:30   #81
BHPian

Me too had a test drive of the swift yday. A friend of mine owns a maruthi showroom. So could get the car with a tankfull of fuel for almost a day

Most of it has already been covered in the previous posts. So nothing much for me to write here.

I drove the car fully in the hills with lots of twists and turns. My impression was that you dont realise that it is a 87 BHP car. Definitely felt peepy and was eager to take anything thrown at it. Handles pretty well too. No complaints whatsoever.

I am thinking of picking up a vxi. Makes no diference driving the swift or the GTX in town. The GTX with better torque is a bit easier to drive. On the highways too I dont miss the GTX all that much.

This combined with the looks had me floored. I think the swift is a great buy as a daily use car. No slouch on teh highways too. Maybe once you get bugged with the 1.3L mill you can plonk the 1.6 from the baleno...

I would go ahead and buy this car. Has the potential to be a hot hatch
Old 30th May 2005, 11:02   #82
BANNED

Quote:
boy- when u get ur hands on the swift 1.6 - i'll be waiting with palio 1.6.
I am game.. location and position will be decided once launched..

Quote:
For me, the way a car handles is far more important that mere peak horsepower figures
I agree totally..

Even i love the GTX but when it comes to the swift its better then the GTX IMHO.. handles better, brakes better.. plus the GTX lacks so many features.. and yes the GTX comes with 175 rubber wheras the swift comes with 185 and yeah ONLY GOD CAN SAVE FIAT NOW.. but the GTX is dead, burried and over its now going to be 1.6 Palio which is on fiats cards..
Thought the Swift 1.6 will be 6bhp short of the Palio it will win with its light ACE engine..

Quote:
With it being a good 2 seconds faster than the Getz
3.xx secs according to ACI..

Quote:
Handles pretty well too
Harrie can you tell us which handled better thw swift or your palio.. which had better brakes.. did you test drive a Zxi with ABS??
Old 30th May 2005, 11:14   #83
BHPian

Nice review dude!! Hey, what bout the gearshift??Does it feel smooth??
Old 30th May 2005, 11:22   #84
BHPian

The swift was better IMHO. I mean in stock trim it should be better than the stock GTX in terms of braking. But then this was because the car had ABS and slightly better rubber.

While we were testing the car, we had my GTX, the fully loaded swift and a baleno. I was running 15" PCW with Hankook tires. The baleno had 14" Falkens. So as such both were handling better than the swift.

But in stock trim the swift has a better brake feel. Handling I prefer my GTX with the hard suspension. The swift is for the masses. It sacrifices handling for ride comfort.

I cant say anything unless both are tested out on a track with the same rubber with/without ABS. I cant conclude which is better.
Old 30th May 2005, 12:11   #85
BANNED

Well harrie that means that once you upgrade the swift tyres it will handle better then the GTX.. and suprising to know the NHC comes with 175 rubber and the swift with 185..
Old 30th May 2005, 12:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving a car with less power makes you a better driver as you don't have that reserve power to help you out when you make a mistake.
True but, that doesn't mean guys with powerful cars can't drive. We've owned 45bhp Zens, 35bhp M800s and 65bhp Esteems. Been there, done that. Now i want a powerful vehicle.

Quote:
I know, I used to own an first gen engined Astra for many years, but could still outdrive every OHC I came across. No jokes, no exaggeration.
I've outdriven Mondeos, Mercs and every damn C segment car you can name but, that doesn't prove anything does it? A victory on the streets isn't really a victory, it's just an experience.

That's no reason for me to brand Mondeo drivers as skill less coz, i know there are much better drivers out there who have powerful vehicles.

Quote:
For me, the way a car handles is far more important that mere peak horsepower figures. Unfortunately I see too many people who discard a great car simply because if appears to lack power on paper.
Who says i've discarded the car?

I just said i preffered the Swift with the 1.6 and not the 1.3. Same car, same chassis but with a diff engine.

Shan2nu
Old 30th May 2005, 12:42   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Mondeos, Mercs and every damn C segment
A vtec is faster then all of them..
Old 30th May 2005, 12:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
The swift was better IMHO. I mean in stock trim it should be better than the stock GTX in terms of braking. But then this was because the car had ABS and slightly better rubber.
GTX did come with airbags + ABS as options. My friend has it all in his car. Costed his approx 6L when he bought it 4-5 years back.
Old 30th May 2005, 12:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
A victory on the streets isn't really a victory, it's just an experience.
Its off-topic, but I must disagree. A 'victory' on the streets is for real, since its then about driver skills and not the machinary you own.
Old 30th May 2005, 12:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A vtec is faster then all of them..
Nope, the Mondeo and the Mercs are faster in the long run. Only the C segment cars were slower but, aren't slower, less powerful car owners supposed to be better drivers?

If Rtech could outrun a OHC with an old gen Astra, why couldn't the others out run me?

What he's talking about is very subjective. U can't brand someone as a bad driver just bcoz he likes poweful cars.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks