Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:09   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly Swift (Suzuki) got 4 stars in EuroNCAP with Swift "suffering minimal deformation in the frontal impact and providing good protection for adults throughout."
The Euro NCAP rating is for the European model of teh swift which has ABS, EBD, and 6 airbags.

The Indian version would not fare so well...
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

apart from curtain airbags, the Indian swift is similar to it's European sibling, from the safety point of view, that is. one thing that cannot be ascertained is the quality of sheet metal (gauge) and fit and finish of the European swift- although logic suggests that the European model would be better, we can't know for sure.
But, other than that, i feel that the Indian swift would fare as good, if not better, than any C segmenter available in India; any C segmenter that has airbags and abs/ebd, that is.
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:35   #213
BHPian

but by feel i can say that the metal is more tough than those used in zen, or in that matter most other hatches of its segment.ok its just what i felt
Old 15th April 2006, 13:03   #214
BHPian

The Hatch segment is going to heaten up very soon with Hyundai / Mitsubishi / Aveo / Optra / Maruti Swift 1.6 Sports gong to be launched very soon in India. Swift has already too many awards to its credit. Besides it is a Maruti !
Old 16th April 2006, 12:21   #215
Senior - BHPian

Tech - The Sport Swift is never ever going to make it in India and thats a assurance from me
Old 16th April 2006, 12:31   #216
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
hey veyron, got details on the awd swift...have the parts sourced...
HHHMMM .. So sourced eh ?? Just cant wait for this ...
Old 16th April 2006, 12:55   #217
Senior - BHPian

@BUSA: the swift sport, or a bigger engined petrol swift IS coming- and you can take my word for it. the 1.5 vvt-i was canned for India, but plans for 1.6 is underway; word has it that the powertrain might see the light of day in ANOTHER car first, and then the swift.

@mclaren: since ice ain't here now, i don't think we might be seeing much development on that part....
Old 16th April 2006, 13:08   #218
BHPian

The Swift Sports 1.6 will come as was told to me by the Maruti Customer Support in Auto Expo 2006. I also took a photograph :-

Old 16th April 2006, 13:20   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the swift sport, or a bigger engined petrol swift IS coming- and you can take my word for it.
Veyron and Tech i hope you are right if so then i will be waiting before buying the Swift but can you tell me how much time is it going to take before hitting our shores otherwise taking a Normal Zxi and adding 16 inchers and a 1.6 Baleno mill wont be much of a problem or is it better to wait? Since then you get warranty and you wont be doing trial and error.

Last edited by BUSA : 16th April 2006 at 13:22.
Old 16th April 2006, 13:43   #220
Senior - BHPian

@BUSA: work out the math yourself; a new zxi-5.5 on road. plus 2.1 lacs for a new baleno powertrain (engine and g'box included, with warranty from maruti), plus accessories, say, 50K. total, 8 lacs+ on road. and a stock baleno would still beat you by a hair's breadth.

consider option2: wait for 8 months, go for the swift 1.6 for 6.1 lacs on-road. the swift sport can beat an octy rs, going by their specifications.
Old 16th April 2006, 13:45   #221
BHPian

That was not disclosed by Maruti, however it might come in as a limited edition also.

Diesel Swift may be a reality as per Maruti's Management plans.

Here is some information about this on
http://www.topgear.com/drives/E4/A3/...sts/01/01.html

Suzuki Swift 1.3 DDiS

A lot of vague praise has been heaped on the Suzuki Swift, in no small part because people really want it to be as good as it looks. And an entry level three-door is £7,499 to boot, meaning it's still one of the cheapest cars on sale.

But the version we've got here borrows one of Fiat's well-proven little diesels and, available only as a five-door, comes in at a less convincing £9,750, before toys.

'Budget diesel' is something of an oxymoron in any car, but the initial extra wedge commanded by oil-burners is that much harder to swallow when it makes up such a hefty proportion of the asking price.

So an expensive Suzuki Swift isn't quite such an attractive proposition, and suddenly the car's shortcomings are brought into stark relief.

The interior, clear and contemporary though it is, feels cheap and flimsy. The electric windows lack a convincing sense of solidity as they clatter open, and it's hard to find a comfortable driving position if you're anything approaching tall.

On the move, the diesel Swift offers a confounding combination of pros and cons too. The steering is quick, light and encouragingly direct, but there's enough body roll to undermine any real confidence in the car's handling.

The gearchange is short and snappy, but it suffers from a tendency to baulk, which makes slick use of the standard five-speed 'box a bit hit and miss.

The engine itself is a perky 1,248cc turbocharged unit that generates 68bhp and 125lb ft of torque. Noise levels are genuinely quite manageable, and once you get used to the Eighties-throwback turbo lag, it's a relatively exploitable and enjoyable car to hurtle about in.

The fundamental problem that anyone contemplating a diesel Swift is going to face is offsetting the larger price against eventual returns.

The 1.3 DDiS diesel falls into the same company car tax bracket as a 1.3 petrol, so all you've got to work with here is the return at the pumps.

There's 15.8 more mpg to be had out of the diesel, but this will be hard to realise unless you're on the motorway all the time. And if you are, you don't want to be in a Swift.

As a fine-looking, affordable city car, the Swift is still a solid choice, though. It's got the gender divide bridged, is straightforward, practical and well equipped. But this only counts for anything if you go for the most basic petrol version.

Matt Master
Old 16th April 2006, 13:53   #222
Senior - BHPian

Waiting

Thanx alot Veyron i guess its better to wait till the end of this year because the suspension of the car will also be quite different meant for high speed handling and how did you say 50k for accesories? Importing the tail lamps and headlamps + bumpers + ICE + Performance Mods ( to make it have atleast 120bhp as Baleno engine is 91) + Recaro Seats(which come in the sports) + 16inch tyres and alloys(itself will cost 50k) + Misc that will cost a bomb its wiser to wait i guess.

@ Tech - the review you have posted has already been posted by me long time ago in the Swift Diesel Thread. (If you search most of the stiff posted by you has been posted somewhere or the other )
Old 16th April 2006, 14:12   #223
BHPian

Ha Ha. What is more important is to go through something relevant for current discussion. And then nobody is going to search for something relevant to current topic while reading posts. You do? I don't ! Neither do I have so much time. Nor does any body else either I suppose.
Old 18th April 2006, 00:20   #224
BHPian

if the swift sport ever makes it to indian shores ... its definately not going to be 125bhp ...it'll be more like 105bhp ...
@veyron ... it'll be good but it will NOT be beating any corollas or octy RS'
Old 21st April 2006, 13:06   #225
Senior - BHPian

@fiero; sure, at 105 bhp it might not beat any octys or corollas. at 115 bhp, it stands a pretty good chance. search the net for performance figures for the 1.6 sport, and you'll see what i'm talking about.

@busa; i was suggesting GENERAL accessories. for the goodies that you're quoting, it would be better to actually go in for a octy turbo rider. the costs would work out to be the same.

as for the 1.3 diesel, well...i'm not saying much, but all i can reveal is this- there are 2 swift diesels in mumbai, undergoing testing. and it's gonna hit the showrooms sooner than when most think; if things work out as per plans....

Last edited by veyron1 : 21st April 2006 at 13:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks