Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 21:28   #46
ada
BHPian

2nd tank update

This was a mix of highway driving and city, out of 567 kms between tanks, 370 was on highway with 70% time ac on. The average I got was 16 kms/lits. I guess thats bang on target. Iam beginning to enjoy Ritz more and more, as I become used to ABS/EBD brakes, its characteristics while driving, the width judgement etc. I guess if you are going to spend 80 percent of the time city driving, there is no other car to beat Ritz (including Punto). The engine is so rev free that if you apply brakes and clutch in 3rd and then release, at lower speeds the car instead of puttering, stalling, will pull you (was initially caught out by that behaviour). Its acceleration in 1 - 3 gears is amazing. I have still not taken her at speed on the highways (here Punto might be better).

A lot of problems have been mitigated because of my choice of zxi. The only problem is that there are a few honeydew like spots on my white coat probably by tree sap or by some insect. Looking towards members to advice me on how to deal with the same.

As a token of appreciation to team-bhp, have put three stickers on the car, will post the pictures next time I wash it personally (on sunday).

Still have not changed the tires.

Last edited by ada : 28th July 2009 at 21:29.
Old 28th July 2009, 22:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thats real good mileage figures. Have you driven the i10 kappa engine? How would you compare that with the Ritz engine. From your report i get a feeling that maruti has another winner. In fact i personally liked the ritz better than the swift. How is the space at the rear and is the rear seat as upright as in the swift?

The only thing i feel let down is again the design where there are quite a lot of blind spots. Infact i was unable to reverse a swift in the night (probably because i was not very used to it) that i had to have a person stand behind. I just could not make out where is what?
Old 28th July 2009, 23:58   #48
ada
BHPian

I have very briefly driven i10, its just (maybe because of size) that Ritz feels a bit more powerfull, at lower gearing Maruti has made an art of getting gear ratios right. That is the reason that the same engine is fun to drive in swift vis-a-vis Vista or Palio. IMHO Palio sports is one of the best VFM car. One year earlier that would have been my choice. Space at the rear is certainly more then swift, marginally enough to be comfortable. Even people owning swift agreed to that. The seat is higher then swift, I wouldnt know about the uprightness, will try to find out.

Agreed there are a lot of blind spots, initially even the A pillar ws a bother, but slowly you get used to it. LH mirror is a blessing.
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:11   #49
BHPian

How would you rate the NVH levels of the new petrol1.2L to the earlier 1.3L one seen in the Petrol swift/Esteem? Does anyone think that the new engine might get transplanted to the petrol swift?
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:59   #50
ada
BHPian

@ super, I guess thats the Maruti's ultimate game plan, to replace the current petrol engine with the KB series. As far as noise level is concerned the newer engine is super silent, it is an extremely excellent city engine, good acceleration at lower gear and all. I guess I have to check it at higher speeds/gears. From what little I have seen so far the performance tapers off at higher speeds.

Last edited by ada : 2nd August 2009 at 20:00.
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:14   #51
BHPian

[quote=ada;1362622]So it has been a week since I have been driving Ritz ZXI (petrol). I have completed 300 kms by this time. For perspective my car before Ritz was Maruti Alto, though I have also driven Tata Indica.

Observations --
1) The engine is super smooth, I have to watch tachometer when idling at a signal to avoid double cranking. I do not even know on highways when I touch 100, I have to consciously lift off considering engine run-in.

2) The interior plastics though not beige and colorful are sufficiently good to exude confidence, and sturdiness.

3) Gear shift is excellent, falls in place firmly, you can almost expect to hear a click.

4) Power steering at low speeds is excellent later it hardens, but that is what it is supposed to do, however at higher speeds it is a bit hard.

5) ABS/EBD is something I will have to get used to. In my older ALto I had formed an excellent judgment, which will take some time here, as I feel under both dry and wet this car takes a wee bit longer to stop (the same is explained in the manual).

6)There is a little bit of body roll which is but expected.

7) The boot space is not as small as imagined. It is bigger then Alto, I guess only slightly smaller then swift.

8) The leg space at the rear is excellent, I' am 5'7". With driver seat adjusted, it leaves lots of leg space. The problem is width with three persons sitting, shoulders touching and all.

9) Drive quality is a bit suspect at the rear, it is certainly a huge improvement over Alto, but I do not know, it is not as good as Indica, does suspension settle over time?

Giggles and Niggles --
1)There are nice nooks and crannies to keep your tit-bits. The under seat tray though flimsy is helpful.

2) A pillar is a bit of an obstruction, also the rear view is not as good, have to be very alert while reversing, if still uncomfortable over longer period, will install parktronics.

3) The height is excellent, as high as Innova, this plus the interiors gives you a big car feel.

4) Fog lamps will only come on when headlights are on.
5) I'am in doubt whether the rear view mirror is anti-glare, there is no adjustment lever to it. The guy at the showroom said that it was automatic.

6) Flimsy orange stickers attached to interior door lever (corners already coming out)

Overall I' am very satisfied with my purchase. Though not as flashy or brilliant as the Punto , I' am sure this will be like a faithful companion, rock steady, unwavering and true. The engine and overall ride quality exudes smoothness and a refined experience.

-- Have to wait for the full tank to get empty for average.
-- Will post photos immediately whenever the weather clears and the car is clean.[hi what is the average you getting for the ritz]
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:55   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent synopsis, Amidoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
1) The engine is super smooth, I have to watch tachometer when idling at a signal to avoid double cranking. I do not even know on highways when I touch 100, I have to consciously lift off considering engine run-in.
I have repeatedly stated that the 1.2 KB series is one of the best petrols that Maruti has ever sold in India. Its a true all rounder : refinement, decent driveability, power and fuel efficiency.

Quote:
The interior plastics though not beige and colorful are sufficiently good to exude confidence, and sturdiness.
Still wish Maruti gave a beige option. The i10 looks so much richer on the inside.

Quote:
The boot space is not as small as imagined. It is bigger then Alto, I guess only slightly smaller then swift.
The Ritz boot is actually bigger than the Swift. Quote from my Ritz review:

Quote:
The boot is 236 liters (swift = 232 liters & Hyundai i10 = 225 liters) in size; bigger would have been better but it is on par with the direct competition.
Quote:
Drive quality is a bit suspect at the rear
Absolutely. A tad too bouncy.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:07   #53
BHPian

^ GTO, BTW, If you check the post by amidoc, he was only asking what was the mileage of Ritz [See the last line of his post]. He has quoted the original ownership experience of ada [which is the first post in this thread], but ended up quoting wrongly [has not closed the quote].

Regards!
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Hello Ritz (Petrol) owners what is the kind of FE you guys are getting for your respective Ritz ?
We all know Diesel's are going great guns however owners of Ritz petrol have not posted FE at least I have not found one.
I tried searching through the posts but could not locate it. Guys Pls post FE.
Theres one posted by me on FE Thread a couple of days back. Have a peep.

God bless......
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:48   #55
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
  1. Body work etc -- Still no rattling. The doors are a bit tight to close, does not close by just a gentle push. I had no chance to check the luggage space, since our back seat was empty. Sometimes horn on one side would not work (I'am a great user of horn).
Try closing the front doors with window glass rolled down about 1/4". The door shuts without any effort with just a clik.

Did your cars come with Alloy Spare wheel with 185/65 R15 tyre. My ZXI came with the steel disc with the smaller tyre. I wrote to Maruti and they have replaced the disc and the tyre. However the disc cannot be fastened, unless a longer T bolt is provided. The rear wooden board that hides the spare wheel does not fit well now becouse of the increase of tyre size. The dealer has assured me that things would be set right soon.

God bless.....
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:24   #56
ada
BHPian

Hmmm... I wonder if it was an error at maruti's end or an "error" at dealers end, well as long as you got your 5th alloy thats all right.

Will try your suggestion for closing the car with window 1/4th down, but you cannot do that while exiting, can you? Actually it is a good sign that the cabin is leak proof.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:05   #57
BHPian

Congrats Ada. Glad to know you are enjoying your car.

I have booked a Ritz too (well actually my dad has - but you know how that works)

Can you share updated FE figures if you have them?
Did you notice any difference in FE with speed Vs regular petrol?
What do I need to check when doing the PDI?
Old 4th August 2009, 17:43   #58
BHPian

Congrats Ada. I picked up this report a bit late. You white Ritz looks pretty cute from front. Wish Maruti had worked to make rear a bit more pleasing to the eye (just my opinion, not trying to offend you), Ritz would have been an all-round worthy successor to Swift.
Old 4th August 2009, 19:30   #59
ada
BHPian

@Shree -- Actually the FE is quiet good, as posted earlier for the second full tank, after first service, with a mixture of highway and city driving, I got an FE of 16 kms/lits. As far as speed is concerned I had read to avoid putting speed or any petrol additive during the run in process, as the extra lubrication will hamper the run in.

@NutnBolts -- Here Maruti did not work at all, they picked up this model straight from europe (splash), as far as looks my wife still puckers up her nose on seeing the back, and the worst part is when girls call it cute.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
@Shree -- Actually the FE is quiet good, as posted earlier for the second full tank, after first service, with a mixture of highway and city driving, I got an FE of 16 kms/lits. As far as speed is concerned I had read to avoid putting speed or any petrol additive during the run in process, as the extra lubrication will hamper the run in.

@NutnBolts -- Here Maruti did not work at all, they picked up this model straight from europe (splash), as far as looks my wife still puckers up her nose on seeing the back, and the worst part is when girls call it cute.
Wow an FE of 16 is pretty good I think. My current Wagon R gives around 13-14 depending on how I drive it

@ada: Any tips on what accessories? Did you get mudflaps and mats from the dealer or are they available in accessory shops?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks