Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 11:36   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
1. Rear wheels / Suspension: When you shake the car, I can hear a distinct tak tak noise from the back. Something loose is tapping against some sheet metal. Sounds as-if its coming from near the rear wheels. It does not come all the time. I am not sure of this but i think it is related to the level of fuel in the tank. I get the feeling it is more prominent when the tank is fuller. Sometimes i feel maybe its the fuel gauge float, thats knocking against the tank walls but its kind of loud for a fuel gauge float noise! I have not been able to confirm this as yet.
Ask your dealer to check the mounting nut.

See this link

Punto mounting nut.

Picture of loose mounting nut in my car.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:27   #107
BHPian

Ok. I have an update on the Rear Suspension Sound.

It is related to the Handbrake. With the Handbrake down this noise does not come. Even with the Handbrake up, the noise comes only in a condition where the Handbrake is actually stopping the rear tyres from rolling. Example on a slope.

This is really irritating because when i took the car to Pandit on Tuesday I could not re-produce the noise!

I have this particular section of my parking where there is a slight elevation. Here my cars front wheels go over the elevation and onto the straight patch but the rear wheels stop on the elevation. Thats when the noise comes and becomes prominent. In this same situation if i put the car in 1st to prevent it from rolling and release the handbrake then there is no noise.

I have made a small illustration to explain the situation when the noise comes. Can some of you'll check if your Punto's have the same problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Emotion Pack Fiat Punto MJD Ownership Report-land.jpg  

Old 20th August 2009, 23:45   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post

2. Brakes: I'm guessing this is a common problem with all Punto's / Linea's. There is a noise when the wheels come to a full hault. Sound like a grinding noise like "Ghrrrr".
Universal problem,not car-specific,i have been told its something to do with abs on the new fiat's,just have to live with this.

Strange thing is it sounds as if something is wrong with the shockers in my car,but it isn't
Old 21st August 2009, 00:10   #109
BHPian

Yes all Lineas have it too.
It's something to do with brake pads being new and rubbing against disc or something.

A few Lineans have purposefully slammed the breaks at high-speeds and they claim that the sound is gone now (possibly freed up the brakes a little?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
Universal problem,not car-specific,i have been told its something to do with abs on the new fiat's,just have to live with this.

Strange thing is it sounds as if something is wrong with the shockers in my car,but it isn't
Old 21st August 2009, 11:03   #110
BHPian

Thanks for the updates smilenow, neotraveler.

Anyone getting the rear suspension noise as I have described above with the image?
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:56   #111
BHPian

Another update on the suspension noise issue.

Took the car to Pandit again. Was able to reproduce the rear suspension clanking noise in front of Anirudh, but when the mechanic came we could not reproduce the noise. The car was taken on the ramp and all suspension bolts were checked. The brake drum was opened and checked. No problem could be found.

One of the mechanics said the noise is probably due to the silver alluminium rod between the brake pads and when the brake is engaged the pads move outwards which allows the rod to move left right which could be the cause of noise. The explanation dint seem too convincing to me. See the attached picture for the opened Drum.

Now regarding the front suspension noise it came clearly atleast 4 or 5 times when we went for a drive with the mechanic. They asked me to leave the car with them till monday to fix the issue as they dint know exactly where the noise was coming from and would need to check each part one at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Emotion Pack Fiat Punto MJD Ownership Report-dscf0569.jpg  

Emotion Pack Fiat Punto MJD Ownership Report-dscf0563.jpg  

Emotion Pack Fiat Punto MJD Ownership Report-dscf0564.jpg  

Old 26th August 2009, 09:33   #112
BHPian

Ok. The car has been with Pandit since Sat the 22nd. They still cannot identify what the noise is. I am referring to the front suspension noise.

They have changed the drop links, and the anti roll bar and the tyres. Today they will change the complete right suspension.

And as luck would have it - I find myself driving a blue Indica Vista Aura Petrol Demo car!

I cant help but ask my self - Why dint I listen to my head and not my heart!

Last edited by Crimson : 26th August 2009 at 09:52.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:37   #113
BHPian

Oh maaan !!! You are probably "the unlucky one" :(

Crimson : please escalate the issue to : service@fiapl.com (if you have not done that already)

it's time some FIAT guy had a look at your car. It is now pretty evident that Pandit guys are not able to solve the problem.

I hate it when ad-hoc solutions are arrived at without diagnosing the real problem. How are they sure that changing the suspension is going to solve the problem ???
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:47   #114
BHPian

Ok. Here is what has happened so far.

The rear suspension noise has totally gone. However the front noise still persists. Pandit tried replacing the Anti-roll bar, the struts, the tyres and the rack however the noise still persisted. Finally the FIAT & TATA people came to Pandit and checked the car. They checked out the car for over a day after which I got a call saying that this is the normal operational noise of the suspension.

They have even gone to the extent of saying that if I want I can show them any Punto that does not have this noise. They are willing to give me a document certifying that everything is OK with the car and the front suspension.

If possible, I'd like to meet up with some of the Pune Punto owners and check whether this is truly the case. I'm quite positive that the Demo car I drove dint have this noise but then they were really short test drives also.

Punto owners from Pune, if its convenient to you, please PM me and let me know if we can check this out. Would really appreicate the help. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:39   #115
BHPian

Me and Crimson meet today morning at my place and went out first in his Punto and then mine. The noise is there in both the cars. It comes when going over pothole/bad surface and it don't come all the time. If I remember correctly, I heard it in the test vehicle I drove at BU Bhandari.
I'm driving car after 7+years so I'm not qualified to say if the noise is normal or not. Techno, can you come over tonight?
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:57   #116
BHPian

@Crimson : how about meeting this saturday ? preferably in the morning
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:24   #117
BHPian

@amoghchaphalkar: Sure - That would be great, but it would have to be in the evening as I would be in office this weekend. Ill give you a call tomorrow and fix up a time.

@Nav75: Thanks for your time. Appreicate your help!

Now that I have heard the same noise in Nav75's vehicle also I am a little re-assured that I'm not getting duped here - but at the same time disappointed because the likelihood of having this noise removed is getting slimmer.

Last edited by Crimson : 3rd September 2009 at 14:27.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:50   #118
BHPian

Crimson, no issues. In fact thanks to you, I got to know about what I was ignoring as a normal noise, who knows might turn out to be a defect.
Old 6th September 2009, 01:29   #119
BHPian

Hi Crimson,

Congratulations for the new car, I am also in the process of buying a GP, today test rode it again with my wife, the only thing I am concerned about the car is the booming kind of noise which is always there, though in summers this can be subdued by using AC blower/music, but in winters when you dont want to listen to music and obviously your AC will no longer be required, I think this booming noise can be very irritating (might even give head ache) if you travelling on a highway (for a long journey), any inputs or your experience on this.

Secondly I read in this thread about noise deadening pads, did you get them installed ? if yes, how much did they cost and whats the decrease of sound/booming noise inside the cabin?

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 6th September 2009 at 01:31.
Old 6th September 2009, 10:42   #120
BHPian

Well the booming noise is present even on the highway. I dint find it to distracting. Its just a matter if getting used to it. Plus i doubt there is anything that could be done to reduce the noise.

Regarding the noise deadening pads - yes I have installed them and i think it cost me 3800/-. Will have to look up the bill. However I would NOT recommend them as I did not get any substantial reduction in noise. Its a good product - but meant for a different purpose. Now that I have seen them and seen how they are installed I realise that they are meant to reduce vibration of panels. They will not reduce the booming noise or the engine drone.

Lastly, when the panels were open I saw identical deadening pads are already installed by the company! So for me it was money wasted. I suggest you spend that amount on something else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks