Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 23:43   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

1. How was the A/C performance in last summer?
2. Is your car drags to the left side often?
3. What about the tire pressure level? you need to top it 2/3 in a week or its hold the air for 2-3 weeks.
1. The A/C performance was pretty good but since the climate here is humid it is hard to say for me if the AC is upto the mark.

2. No the alignment on mine is perfect. but my advice to those of you who face this problem is to try this on the flattest roads possible as most roads in India have and inclination toward the left to let the rain water flow into the storm water drains. perhaps that could be the reason for a slight pull to the left, but if its really bad then perhaps professional help may be needed.

3. the air pressure in the tire is normal and as good as new. I have so far never noticed any unusual drop of pressure in that particular tire.
Old 29th October 2010, 18:09   #452
BHPian

Hello I am very new but this thread was the basis of our decision to purchase the Hyundai i20. About the car I would like to make a few points from my personal experience.

1. The Euro IV model we have feels as powerful as my friends K12 swift, in my personal opinion the i20 being underpowered is a bit of a myth, then again I do not usually go up hill with a full load of passengers.

2. The notorious steering rattle started after 2000kms and going strong will ask them for a fix at the second service, although reading this thread and others I have little hope in it being resolved.

3. The F.E I am getting is around 11 in the city and 14-15 in highway.

4. The AC performance is satisfactory even on hot days, but if you leave the car in the sun it takes a lot of time for it to cool down.

Its my brother in one of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-sized_kariavattom-009.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-sized_october-22-2010-081.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-sized_october-22-2010-082.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-sized_october-22-2010-084.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-sized_october-22-2010-088.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-sized_october-22-2010-089.jpg  

Old 29th October 2010, 18:34   #453
BANNED

^^ Nice to see more and more i20 owners inputs here. So its proved again and again that Hyundai in not able to rectify the Notorious Steering Rattle. If Hyundai doesn't act , we have to.

There will be customer satisfaction survey's.. and we have to open our mouth there to make Hyundai act.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:16   #454
Senior - BHPian

Hey! Wildon, is the rattle there in your i20 too?

in mine its usually not noticeable unless I encounter a really bad stretch on the road!

I kinda found the 'special grease' online but I'm kinda skeptical as to it being the solution!!
Old 29th October 2010, 19:20   #455
BANNED

Quote:
Had driven through some unpaved roads in chennai and found out Rattling is back . Also "click" sound coming while turning the steering wheel from quick left to right. At present decided to wait longer so it can be audible to the S.E/S.M
Yes its back again although its not audible as earlier.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:06   #456
BHPian

Looks like I got lucky on the rattle issue :-)

My i20 also got a rattle at around 1000 kms earlier in April this year. Ask the dealer to fix it on the first service, and it was fixed.

It's November 2010 now, and the rattle hasn't come back - despite long drives on horrible roads over the last 6 months.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:15   #457
BHPian

Congratulations !

I too own a sparkle blue i20 Asta. As far as the rattling issue, I guess i have been lucky too. My current odo stands at 17000 Km / 12 Months. Recently went in for a third service and no issues at all.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:36   #458
BHPian

I think whether you get the rattle or not depends on the quality of roads you frequently commute on as well. I took my car to the service station because of it was giving a wierd noise while braking, I also told them about the steering rattle. They replaced the brake pads and the steering rattle seems to be gone as well. When asked they said they replaced a spring !
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:58   #459
BHPian

I want to buy an i20 magna. But no dealer is providing me with a discount. Problem is i can take a car which is 100% of my base salary and the magna is just 2k more.... Any ideas what i can do? I am from Bangalore
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:32   #460
Senior - BHPian

I had a long chat with a senior official from Hyundai. Based on condition of anonymity, he did give lots of information on the 2 major issues that used to plague the car.

I am noting down what he said:

First he accepted the fact that the i20 was not tested enough in India before it started selling. It was not really thought that the car would do well in India. The 7K sales figure must have been an eye opener for them.

Moreover the car were designed for European conditions. The petrol version was tuned initally for better pickup and that affected the AC performance. The retune has bettered the AC performance and will not affect the pickup. He wasnt able to answer if the FE will drop.

Also accepted the steering rack issue. What aggravated the issue was not enough information and lack of proper training for the service centers. When asked on issues affecting cars (steering tightness, alignment) after the solution was done, he said that initially the service centers did a shoddy job.

Hyundai has conducted several major training and refreshers on the issues and most centers can now handle the issues.

He also reassured that new batches of cars will have the retune and steering issues rectified at the factory.

The person was very patient during the long call and assured my experience will be pleasant.

He requested several times not to post this information. I said I will post it as a part of my reponsibility to tbhp and will keep his details secret. I now understand why the the CR team wasnt accepting the issues via email.

People who still have issues, makes sense to speak with our regional office if the dealer is not supportive.

This discussion was a huge relief to me as a prospective buyer.
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:12   #461
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
He also reassured that new batches of cars will have the retune and steering issues rectified at the factory.
New batches ! Since November'10 ?! Do you have any specific info about it.
I'm not confident enough to go to the dealer again to rectify this steering rattle, as the dealer is moreover eager to get 9 or 10 out of 10 for the servicing experience from me rather than rectifying the issues.

Is there any other way to get this sorted out with the supervision of a experienced Factory Tech or in the factory itself? Ready to make a trip to Chennai for this

Last edited by wildon : 3rd November 2010 at 21:14.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:33   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai has conducted several major training and refreshers on the issues and most centers can now handle the issues.

I was told the same thing when the steering rack was replaced on my car for the second time. I was told that 2010 models do not have this issue and the new steering rack is from a 2010 model and the rattling would not return. Both these claims turned out to be false. I was even given all sorts of excuses for the rattle, none of which sounded convincing enough.

Its been more than 3 years since the i20 was launched and if still they are struggling to find the answer to the rattle, probably Hyundai's engineers do not deserve to be called engineers.

Quote:

People who still have issues, makes sense to speak with our regional office if the dealer is not supportive.

This discussion was a huge relief to me as a prospective buyer.
Yeah? Try talking to him after you buy the car and bug him with the same issue 3-4 times. I can assure you he will avoid taking your calls. Even when I call their office in Mumbai on their land line number, they avoid answering the call seeing my mobile number. When I try from another unknown number, they will answer the phone. This is what is happening to me and a fellow i20 owner in Vapi. What does one do now? My money is with them and they can dictate terms. When the people who are answerable, avoid taking calls, it means they have orders from higher up to avoid talking to a "buggy" customer. It is just so frustrating!!!!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 4th November 2010 at 09:41.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:36   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
as the dealer is moreover eager to get 9 or 10 out of 10 for the servicing experience from me rather than rectifying the issues.

Even these Om Hyundai wallahs ask for 10/10 from me. Those people question me if I give them 8. They say 8 is poor!!!! If i could, I would have given them a zero . I have given them a zero when JD power Asia survey people called me!!!!
Old 4th November 2010, 20:53   #464
BHPian

Four days after the dealership 'fixing' the steering rattle Its back. And its just as bad as it was before. And I talked to a fellow i20ian today and he has the same issue and got his steering rack replaced twice, he says it only makes a difference for a few thousand kilometers at best.
Old 12th November 2010, 20:25   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTwenty View Post
The left side ORVM of my i20 no longer moves down. Wil I need to replace the entire ORVM or is it just some faulty motor that can be replaced.?
The issue has been solved in the third service.The service center guy told me that it was under warranty and hence replaced free of cost.It's precisely instances that can put a smile on an car owners face. I was worried about an expenditure of atleast 2000 rs on but ended up getting a free replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks