Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 13:44   #466
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
After the 1st service some how i feel that, while driving on a straight roads and when leaves the steering the car is slightly drifting to sides, mostly on the left side. This also happens when applying brakes suddenly.

Shall i go for a check up? is this is a matter of concern? please advise .
Quote:
Update:-
My car is once again started pulling to the left side of the road. Once this problem had been corrected at Hyundai workshop. Is this something to do with the steering rack replacement?

Also got a call from A.S.S person to come up for the ECU upgrade for better A/C performance. I don't know why they have waited so long to call me. At present Bangalore weather is pleasant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSA View Post
My I20 Started pulling to left side after wheel alignment done during second service. There was no issue before I gave it to servicing I don't know why they have done this alignment. If I take hands off the steering it changes lanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
However I did notice that the car was slightly pulling to the left and I was thinking to get the wheel alignment done during the next service.With this,I thought,my car was back to normal and left for Chennai the next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
The steering was pulling towards the left a little and at high speeds the steering felt very light and wobbly.
Hyundai A.S.S always tried to put blame for this to our bad road, but finally i found it . and Happy to know that Hyundai also knows this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-jpghyundai_p01.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-jpghyundai_p02.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-jpghyundai_p03.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-jpghyundai_p04.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-jpghyundai_p05.jpg  

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-jpghyundai_p07.jpg  

Old 14th November 2010, 20:19   #467
Senior - BHPian

So has the issue been rectified?
Old 24th November 2010, 19:40   #468
BHPian

Hi I wanted to post an update on my steering rattle issue. They said they removed the whole steering column and applied some sort of grease, the rattle is gone for now.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:21   #469
BANNED

Going for the next attempt to fix the steering rattle problem on next week and this time they are changing the "Universal Joint Assembly".

Will update you the things when it happens.
Old 26th November 2010, 22:59   #470

Steering Rattle rectified

Its really nice to see so many i20 owners in this forum. Finally the rattle from my car's steering has been rectified. I also went to mangalore (will probably top the list if there was a competition for "INDIA'S WORST NATIONAL HIGHWAYS")and the rattle has not cropped up ever since. So I guess Hyundai Engineers have FINALLY rectified it for all the cars. Kudos.I have done 9.5 k on my car and I am really happy with the car and I have no issues with my car till now.(touch wood) . Just wished it had "little" more power for the highway (say 1.4 L petrol-manual).
Will post my report @ 10k with pics.
Happy and Safe Driving.
Old 27th November 2010, 12:33   #471
BANNED

9500 K.M done we badly miss your ownership report here and you have bumped into this thread just for saying steering rattle rectified !!

Please provide the details of the fix Hyundai provided for the benefit of all.
Old 27th November 2010, 20:57   #472

Quote:
9500 K.M done we badly miss your ownership report here and you have bumped into this thread just for saying steering rattle rectified !!

Please provide the details of the fix Hyundai provided for the benefit of all.
Hi,
I am really sorry for not being able to give my experience till date. Will do it shortly. I had two issues with my car.
1.Steering rattle on rough roads
2.A/c being ineffective.

I gave my car for 2nd service I mentioned these problems and I was told that a TSB (Technical Bulletin) was issued for the same by Hyundai and it will be rectified. About the steering they have actually fitted a bush near the joints. I have never got the sound again after that. I travel on bad roads a lot and no signs of the rattle for now. I got my car serviced in Yeshwanthpur-Trident Hyundai and I must say they do a great Job. I can probably pass on the number to you sir if you are still facing problems with your vehicle. Those guys over there are pretty awesome. And about the AC they did a top-up of the gas and also ECU adjustments. Now the AC is very effective and much better. Earlier I used to sweat even with the A/c temp set @ 16.
Hope I have clarified things here.
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:42   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Going for the next attempt to fix the steering rattle problem on next week and this time they are changing the "Universal Joint Assembly".

Will update you the things when it happens.
Just a week after the 'grease job' my i20 was rattling again. So I took the car in yesterday. This time I told them that I want a real fix and that I do not have time to visit the service centre several times a month. I received the car today they said they changed spring and some bush and promised me if that if the rattle is back they will replace the entire steering assembly (probably the thing you mentioned).

I will keep you updated. I am also preparing a 5500km review on my i20
Old 5th December 2010, 12:48   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
if that if the rattle is back they will replace the entire steering assembly (probably the thing you mentioned).
I suggest you don't bother wasting your time doing this, if the need arises. After some time the same rattle will return. It will further add to your agony and frustration.

I know of atleast three i20 owners(including myself) whose cars have undergone steering rack change twice( during the second steering rack change, the respective workshops claimed the rattling will go away as the steering rack was the one which went into new 2010 BS IV models), all these claims turned out to be hot air!!!!

In my car they had changed the steering column also. Inspite of all these experiments(including steering rack tightening, two different types of grease application, two different types of urethane pad/yoke spring installation) on my car and numerous visits to the workshop, nothing has worked so far.

The steering rack is a very costly part and I have a gut feeling Hyundai will not simply throw away the old steering racks. They will simply refurbish it and put it back into circulation.
Old 5th December 2010, 23:45   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
The steering rack is a very costly part and I have a gut feeling Hyundai will not simply throw away the old steering racks. They will simply refurbish it and put it back into circulation.
By this do you mean these refurbished parts will be polished off to unsuspecting owners either as a replacement or in the new cars?
Perhaps the refurbished versions will be OK for a while but then there is no long term guarantee about the quality
Old 6th December 2010, 16:07   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
By this do you mean these refurbished parts will be polished off to unsuspecting owners either as a replacement or in the new cars?
Perhaps the refurbished versions will be OK for a while but then there is no long term guarantee about the quality
I am not claiming it to be true. But I suspect there is strong possibility of this. Because so many i20s have undergone steering rack chnage yet the problem persists. What may have happened to those "old" steering racks? May be refurbished and put into new production i20s or refurbished and offered as "replacement" steering rack for problematic i20s
Old 11th December 2010, 03:25   #477
BHPian

Re: Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2

Hey guys my car(petrol magna) finished 15,000 kms on the odo this week .So thought of doing a small ownership report, i'm posting it here since this is the most followed i20 thread i hope wildon doesn't mind, btw great thread wildon . So here it goes

The steering noise is still there but its not as loud as before and only comes up off-road cant hear it that often on regular pothole ridden roads like before. The Service center just greased the steering column during the 3rd servicing two months back. Frankly ive given up on this issue and moved on with my life and hope these guys will come up with something. until then i WILL keep badmouthing Hyundai.

Car has performed brilliantly otherwise now that i know how to work the gears but it can use a better suspension. The ride at the rear seats is bumpy, took a drive in my cousins Polo and now i hate the ride quality of my car. I didn't know a hatchback can have that good a suspension setup. Its like the only shock absorbers at the back are the passengers .

The brakes in the magna are ok but not good for spirited driving. If i would have had the budget i would have gone for Asta as it has ABS and discs at the back too. Anyways the steering is not suited for higher speeds and i got this car for its space. The legroom at the front and back is great and good luggage space for large suitcases too. Also short people will find it harder to drive without the height adjustable seat, im 5'7" and i can manage it fine except parallel parking takes a little patience dont know if its the car or if im a sucky driver.

The longest trip i did was a 1000km round trip to goa with 4 people in the car. Didnt face any problems and didnt get tired at all while driving. Got a highway mileage of 16kmpl which is satisfactory as i kept an average speed of 90-100 on the NH4. At speeds above 90kmph a lot of road noise creeps in and have to turn up the volume of the music to be able to hear it. The A/C takes some time to cool the cabin but dont think its bad enough to get the ECU adjusted. Anyways im afraid if i get the ECU adjusted i ll lose some power for the sake of cooling.

The car is perfect for city driving with the light steering. Also the accelerator and clutch pedals are soft which is easy on my feet and is tireless to drive in traffic. The audio system is good enough but the rear speakers are not as loud as the front ones.

Hmmm previewing what i ve written it seems like i could only think about the negetives of this car but i've really liked it overall and wont trade it off anytime soon.
Old 11th December 2010, 09:06   #478
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead666 View Post
Hey guys my car(petrol magna) finished 15,000 kms on the odo this week .So thought of doing a small ownership report, i'm posting it here since this is the most followed i20 thread i hope wildon doesn't mind, btw great thread wildon . So here it goes

The steering noise is still there but its not as loud as before and only comes up off-road cant hear it that often on regular pothole ridden roads like before. The Service center just greased the steering column during the 3rd servicing two months back. Frankly ive given up on this issue and moved on with my life and hope these guys will come up with something. until then i WILL keep badmouthing Hyundai.

Car has performed brilliantly otherwise now that i know how to work the gears but it can use a better suspension. The ride at the rear seats is bumpy, took a drive in my cousins Polo and now i hate the ride quality of my car. I didn't know a hatchback can have that good a suspension setup. Its like the only shock absorbers at the back are the passengers .

The brakes in the magna are ok but not good for spirited driving. If i would have had the budget i would have gone for Asta as it has ABS and discs at the back too. Anyways the steering is not suited for higher speeds and i got this car for its space. The legroom at the front and back is great and good luggage space for large suitcases too. Also short people will find it harder to drive without the height adjustable seat, im 5'7" and i can manage it fine except parallel parking takes a little patience dont know if its the car or if im a sucky driver.

The longest trip i did was a 1000km round trip to goa with 4 people in the car. Didnt face any problems and didnt get tired at all while driving. Got a highway mileage of 16kmpl which is satisfactory as i kept an average speed of 90-100 on the NH4. At speeds above 90kmph a lot of road noise creeps in and have to turn up the volume of the music to be able to hear it. The A/C takes some time to cool the cabin but dont think its bad enough to get the ECU adjusted. Anyways im afraid if i get the ECU adjusted i ll lose some power for the sake of cooling.

The car is perfect for city driving with the light steering. Also the accelerator and clutch pedals are soft which is easy on my feet and is tireless to drive in traffic. The audio system is good enough but the rear speakers are not as loud as the front ones.

Hmmm previewing what i ve written it seems like i could only think about the negetives of this car but i've really liked it overall and wont trade it off anytime soon.
Same here, I too get to listen the rattle once in a while, but it aint that loud to bother me, on top of that I dont see a permanent fix from the Hyundai guys, so no point in wasting time over it.

I agree the ride quality is bad, but it gets better when fully loaded. I have read that the leg room at rear in polo is very bad.

My one year, report is almost ready, getting the car serviced tomorrow. Let us see ....

Last edited by rbp : 11th December 2010 at 09:19.
Old 11th December 2010, 17:13   #479
BANNED

16120 K.M and Steering rattle noise update

Problems reported by me are,

Steering rattle noise, Front right suspension noise, rear left side seat rattle , Steering brushing sound.

Just came after the latest fix they have offered and this time they changed the Universal Joint. But after changing and a trial run the noise was still audiable and they adjusted the joint bush and othere things.

At 6.30p.m they said the car is ready. The steering rattle noise and suspension noise is gone, but the steering brushing sound is still there. Also my steering is not centere now. I have reported the same back to the dealer and they said they can fix it any time if i drop in again.

Will be visiting again the A.S.S in the weekdays to rectify it.
Old 11th December 2010, 22:20   #480
BHPian

Wildon Sir, am a silent follower of your thread and one of the best Team-BHP ownership reports on i20 - one of the luxurious hatchback today on India roads.

One thing not clear to me (not only regarding i20 but to many other recent cars - Polo too!), whats the manufacturer`s issue is printing a proper Indian or rt hand driving booklet of their car. The Pics you posted are informative but why manufacturer`s always shows LHD isn't clear.

OT: Anyways, few colleagues of mine are considering i20 and I referred your thread to them (they were not follower of Team-BHP, but now are!), hope Hyundai resolve issues with you car fast, else few customer lost

PS:rated 5*

Last edited by AvonA7 : 11th December 2010 at 22:28. Reason: spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks