Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 13:10   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Just the thread I was looking for. Thanks Nair for starting this and others with your inputs.

I had TDed 1.4 a couple of weeks back and then again last saturday and decided THIS IS IT. However, thought of being "rational" and TDed few more. The "rational" decision still the same .

Have you done the TD of 1.6 and in particularly 1.6 'S' which has bit stiff suspension and bigger wheels (15")

A few queries for the Josh gurus :
1. I have put Sony HU with DVD (found on Indigo XL) with screens on both seat head rests. Can I port that unit onto Fiesta? Will Ford allow that and I fit Fiesta unit on my Indica Xeta?

I think that should be possible, but would suggest check it further.

2. I found tyre size a bit too small to the overall frame / size of the car. Though it is posted on this thread and several other threads on Josh machine, still here I go - Can I put larger wheels - 15 or may be 16 alloys if they fit into the car? Will it void the warrenty?

Then 1.6 'S' is definitely your types of car, it has got 15" alloys and wider Tyre 195/55R15 (low profile)

And last and very important Do I need diesel? I am going to buy the diesel only for that punch, for that feeling I got after 1700 rpm. Its just beyond expressions. I have been driving petrols for last 7-8 years (M800 twice, now Indica Xeta). My daily office commute is only 7.5 kms to-fro (yes, right, my office is only abt 3.5 kms from home); but I do take my car on highway trips to my home town or to nearby places - Mahabaleshwar, Kokan etc. so that comes to average yearly running 12k - 15k km. Do put in extra ~100k for that "feeling"?

1.6 easily gives around 10-11 in City with 100% AC and around 13-14 on highways, ball is in your court now

0-100 of this josh machine is around 11Sec, which is almost equal to ANHC the best all rounder under 10L bracket. No one comes near to it.

So the decision I have to make is Do I need Diesel or Do I want Diesel?

PS : I would be TDing 1.6 SXi on 20th Nov weekend when I find time.

Friends / Gurus / BHPians - plz help.
Please read my updates in bold above.

Last edited by TheBeastFieast : 9th November 2009 at 13:12.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just the thread I was looking for. Thanks Nair for starting this and others with your inputs.

I had TDed 1.4 a couple of weeks back and then again last saturday and decided THIS IS IT. However, thought of being "rational" and TDed few more. The "rational" decision still the same .

1. I have put Sony HU with DVD (found on Indigo XL) with screens on both seat head rests. Can I port that unit onto Fiesta? Will Ford allow that and I fit Fiesta unit on my Indica Xeta?
2. I found tyre size a bit too small to the overall frame / size of the car. Though it is posted on this thread and several other threads on Josh machine, still here I go - Can I put larger wheels - 15 or may be 16 alloys if they fit into the car? Will it void the warrenty?

And last and very important Do I need diesel? I am going to buy the diesel only for that punch, for that feeling I got after 1700 rpm. Its just beyond expressions. I have been driving petrols for last 7-8 years (M800 twice, now Indica Xeta). My daily office commute is only 7.5 kms to-fro (yes, right, my office is only abt 3.5 kms from home); but I do take my car on highway trips to my home town or to nearby places - Mahabaleshwar, Kokan etc. so that comes to average yearly running 12k - 15k km. Do put in extra ~100k for that "feeling"?

So the decision I have to make is Do I need Diesel or Do I want Diesel?

PS : I would be TDing 1.6 SXi on 20th Nov weekend when I find time.

Friends / Gurus / BHPians - plz help.
+
IMO, if you have good running, then opt for Diesel otherwise stick to Petrol version.

Regarding ICE and TYRE change, I think experts in this subject will explain it.

Warranty void - if your dealer agrees to these changes, then you can manage it. In any case, your dealer is going to care your car.

(When I asked my dealer about tyre upgradation, he is not at all supportive and told me that he wants to check there/here etc).

Thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 13:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your Xeta HU can be ported to the Fiesta if it's a standard 2DIN. Even 1 DIN can be fitted but will leave a gap as Fiesta HU slot is 2 DIN. Porting the Fiesta HU on Xeta may or may not be possible depending on size of the slot in Xeta.

Quote:
You can upsize from stock 175 to 185 or 195 without an issue. It technically voids the warranty but some dealers are flexible. If we keep sticking to Ford's rules, we can't enjoy the car. So I would suggest go ahead and do it. [

Quote:
Th Fiesta diesel is outstanding in the city but it runs out of steam very quickly on the highway. Comfort cruising would be at 110-120 kmph or so. Linea and Verna with VGTs win here.
Old 9th November 2009, 15:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Th Fiesta diesel is outstanding in the city but it runs out of steam very quickly on the highway. Comfort cruising would be at 110-120 kmph or so. Linea and Verna with VGTs win here.
Gilead I would like to disagree with you, Fiesta diesel cleanly pulls upto 120 - 130 kmph, in gear accleration is best in class, above 1700 rpm turbo is addictive, how many times we drive above 130 - 140+ kmph at constant speed, my most of driving is on highway, I don't dare to drive above 120 - 130 kmph, as I feel Indian roads are not yet equipped for high speed driving and yet we (in general) are not disiplined in road manners.
Old 9th November 2009, 17:58   #50
BHPian

Ok. So here it transpires. Just to help me make up my mind.
1.4 TDCi
1. Great city handling. Highway cruising at 120+ comfortably. I usually drive on highway at 90-100 speed. I am actually afraid to go above this as I feel Indian highways and highway users (drivers as well as padestrians who can come from anywhere) are not yet as mature as required. So that cruising speed is actually in my comfort zone.
2. Good economy on highway. I would be interested in low running cost on highways as this is where most of the times (kms wise) it would be.
3. High maintenance that we usually associate diesels with. How about that in 1.4 TDCi? If the low running cost is offset by the maintenance cost, it does not make sense for user like me.

1.6S
1. Mileage - City - approx 11. Highway 14 (high side figures). I think similar figures can be achieved in 1.6 Zxi / Sxi since its the same engine. Good enough for city driving but not desirable on highways.
2. Excellent pickup and handling - No second thoughts on that.
3. Stiff suspension as someone commented - I would be interested in backseat comfort as it would be occupied by my 3 yr old son and/or my parents on highways. So stiff suspension wont make them happy. I think it would be better on Zxi / Sxi. TD would make it clearer.

And still the point about 1700 rpm turbo "kick" that I got while driving the TDCi, it still lingers in my mind. 1.6 TD would help me clear that better.

Other points related to ICE / tyres, I think my negotiation skills are going to be tested there.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:11   #51
BHPian

I read this every time there is a discussion between the Fiesta and the Verna, that the Fiesta loses steam after 120-130 and the Verna can pull till I dont know what. But like how many of us can actually drive beyond 130 for more than 5 mins in India. Till 120-130 km/h I am quite certain the Fiesta is equally or even faster than the Verna.
What is disappointing is that this factor weighs against the Fiesta too much in the minds of people when it is actually not that relevant a point.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:16   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
That looks strange. When you turn the key to OFF position , the power supply supposed to be cut-off? Then how the music system is working. Are you taking out the key in ACC position (the key should not come out at this position)?.

Presume you completely turn the key to OFF position and then remove it- you mean to say still the music is working?
Yes it happens, with the key completely out.
1. Take the key to ACC position and play music
2. Switch OFF and take out key, the player goes OFF
3. Press the ON/OFF button and you should have music playing
Old 9th November 2009, 18:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
That's possible in every car. Be careful not to drain your battery, else you will have to push the car to start the engine.

You can even turn your blower on, if you want to speedup the process of draining your battery
Not entirely sure if you can play music in every car with the keys in your hand and not in the Ignition switch
Old 9th November 2009, 18:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:

1.6S
3. Stiff suspension as someone commented - I would be interested in backseat comfort as it would be occupied by my 3 yr old son and/or my parents on highways. So stiff suspension wont make them happy. I think it would be better on Zxi / Sxi. TD would make it clearer.
'S' has got bit stiff suspension with big alloys (15") and wider low profile tyre (195/55R15) which makes its excellent handler over highways as compared to zxi / sxi. But bit uncomfortable in city drive.

On the other hand sxi/zxi have got soft suspension, 14" wheels and default tyre is of width 175, but best upgrade for them is 185/65/R14 and of Michlean Energy XM1+ which will make the ride in city excellent.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. So here it transpires. Just to help me make up my mind.
1.4 TDCi
1. Great city handling. Highway cruising at 120+ comfortably. I usually drive on highway at 90-100 speed. I am actually afraid to go above this as I feel Indian highways and highway users (drivers as well as padestrians who can come from anywhere) are not yet as mature as required. So that cruising speed is actually in my comfort zone.
2. Good economy on highway. I would be interested in low running cost on highways as this is where most of the times (kms wise) it would be.
3. High maintenance that we usually associate diesels with. How about that in 1.4 TDCi? If the low running cost is offset by the maintenance cost, it does not make sense for user like me.
Advait, IMO both Petrol and Diesel are great city handling cars, If you are comfortable till 120 - 130 kmph on highway, and if your running is high, diesel is better bet, even you can achieve speed upto 160 kmph (it will take more time to reach that speed compare to Petrol version) but what is the point cruising at such a high speed on Indian roads and risking your and others life.

In my 1600+ kms running till date, by Full Tank to Full Tank method, I got 18.38 kmpl (30% city and 70% highway driving) and 17.52 (this time 70% city and 30% highway driving), hope it will increase after munching few more kms.

As per discussion with Service Manager, TDCi maintenance cost is slightly higher than Petrol, you can say 5 - 10%. but don't forget, diesel will give more re-sale value (I know we are not discussing about re-sale value, but it is one of the fact).

Contradictory to above inputs, personally I like petrol cars, due to high running I opted diesel, but with Fiesta Diesel I never regretted my decision, rather It puts huge smile when you see Fuel needle is stuck or moving very slowly.

I think get the inputs from 1.6 Petrol ZXI/SXI/S owners and decide what suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
I read this every time there is a discussion between the Fiesta and the Verna, that the Fiesta loses steam after 120-130 and the Verna can pull till I dont know what. But like how many of us can actually drive beyond 130 for more than 5 mins in India. Till 120-130 km/h I am quite certain the Fiesta is equally or even faster than the Verna.
What is disappointing is that this factor weighs against the Fiesta too much in the minds of people when it is actually not that relevant a point.
You are spot on, the best part of Fiesta diesel is minimal turbo lag and best in gear acceleration which makes her fun to drive in city as well as highway.

Last edited by rajeshvin : 9th November 2009 at 19:23.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
I was able to take the fiesta to about 160 without any strain (ODO was readin 850Km) and i never had any issues touching 160 on the highway after that. Did not want to push more than 160 on our roads. It was rock solid and i have the confidence to push it even furthur, i doubt you would have the same confidence in a Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgandhi_00 View Post
Reg mats, am bit surprised to see the ford logo on your floor mats. my car floor mats are bit different. pic attached. am not sure whether any logo is present on floor mats. will check and revert.

also, are your mats fixed to the floor? can you remove them?

my boot mat has a ford logo (though its kind of embedded in the mat and not as prominent as yours). pic attached.

am now getting suspicous abt everything in my car - though floor mats dont matter much i guess
I have the same Boot Mat and floor mats and i am in Chennai. So these should be originals from Ford. I dont think same duplicates would be given by different dealers in different states.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:19   #57
BHPian

i own a 1.6 ZXi as many of you know and got it last year.and there wasnt the fog lamps which is offered as std. in present ZXi.
i dont use fog lamps but the black covers have been pricking my senses.
i would like sincere opinions of how things would be if i had put a flexible LED strip along the periphery of the fog lamp socket!!
Old 9th November 2009, 20:27   #58
BHPian

@ariendj: Please do not use the flexible LED strip near the fog lamp socket, the first item which would take a direct hit from flood waters would be the fog lamp socket and LED lamps would not hold a chance. The adhesive would hold the strip for some time and its monsoon season and this is not the right time.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
i own a 1.6 ZXi as many of you know and got it last year.and there wasnt the fog lamps which is offered as std. in present ZXi.
i dont use fog lamps but the black covers have been pricking my senses.
i would like sincere opinions of how things would be if i had put a flexible LED strip along the periphery of the fog lamp socket!!
Why don't you try on the fog lamps? I'm not sure how much they costs, but they do help in visibility.

LED strips, a la day-time running light for high end cars eh? Not sure if they'll look a bit too cheesy/showy.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:35   #60
BHPian

[quote=Moonraker;1573802]I was able to take the fiesta to about 160 without any strain (ODO was readin 850Km) and i never had any issues touching 160 on the highway after that. Did not want to push more than 160 on our roads. It was rock solid and i have the confidence to push it even furthur, i doubt you would have the same confidence in a Verna.

Exactly the same point I was trying to make. Even I have taken my Fiesta Tdci to 160, my highest.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks