Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 12:05   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

A Quick Update

The software system at Asset Auto crashed on the day I took te car back from service - so they are sending me the first service invoice by courier. Will post the scanned copy once I have the bill.

Regarding the rattling - the service technicians did a great job - took countless trails on bad road to identify all the sources of the rattle (removed door trims one by one and took trials, removed the B pillar trims, seat belt assembly, etc. The boot trim and the rear seat. They applied 2 sided tapes inside the trim at many places as well as on the door lock strikers, etc). I really appreciated the effort they took to eliminate all the rattle - requested me to leave the car with them overnight - did not cut any corners...

However, I reported the rattle to Skoda as it should not occur in the first place (not in a Skoda for sure) - Asset guys also agreed that new Lauras have this issue and aksed me to take the car to their Shivaji Nagar workshop for their technical director et. al. to look at. They promised to resolve this in the right way by engaging Skoda. Let's see. I will use the car for another week or so and then will take it to Asset again.

BTW, they did not replace the fuel filter - they said it's not required to be replaced so early! incidentally, the service schedule that came with the car also does not specify fuel filter replacement interval for Tsi engines! The briskoda members also seem to be baffled by the fact that Skoda does not think that the fuel filter in Tsi engines should be replaced periodically...
Old 11th February 2011, 14:21   #167
BHPian

Re: Laura TSI Initial ownership experience

Good to know that you had a great experience at Skoda service center.

Regarding rattling, the last set of rattling in my TSI coming from the rear seat is due to the leather seats touching the door trim. Since I have an aftermarket leather seat which is really thick cannot blame Skoda for that matter. I have done a DIY to arrest these rattling and it is working fine. I will post some pics of what is being done soon. Now the car runs rattle free.
Old 13th February 2011, 05:50   #168
BHPian

Oil quality sensor and units in Skoda Laura Petrol engine

Does the Laura TSI have an oil quality sensor ? I do see a measurement in the VCDS report using a Ross - Tech interface. Have you come across any info on how this is used in the flexible service interval computations ?
I did see this reference to other VW vehicles
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw_sri.html
I will post the logs shortly.
Would appreciate it if one of you could post a VCDS log you may have taken especially when engine is idling with similar measurements being logged.

Last edited by Ravich : 13th February 2011 at 06:10.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:19   #169
Senior - BHPian

Hi, How has been your experience with Laura till now. I have gone through the thread. Would you like to share more expenses, any long drives taken, any issues with dealer? Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 21:13   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Hi, How has been your experience with Laura till now. I have gone through the thread. Would you like to share more expenses, any long drives taken, any issues with dealer? Thanks
I can safely say , this is one of the few purchases where I have not been filled with buyers remorse so far.
No issues with the dealer (yet). Looks like the first service cost was much higher for me compared to the others who own TSI.
I have taken the TSI for several trips (none too long) - 400 kms each . Tried top speed several times.
Looks like my service interval indicator was not reset at my first service -- I am looking at the VCDS logs now. But for this no issues. One or two minor squeaks that have been fixed.
Old 15th February 2011, 09:30   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
I can safely say , this is one of the few purchases where I have not been filled with buyers remorse so far.
No issues with the dealer (yet). Looks like the first service cost was much higher for me compared to the others who own TSI.
I have taken the TSI for several trips (none too long) - 400 kms each . Tried top speed several times.
Looks like my service interval indicator was not reset at my first service -- I am looking at the VCDS logs now. But for this no issues. One or two minor squeaks that have been fixed.
Hi @Ravich,

Yes, this is a terrific engine.

And I think service eperience is good if the owner shows keen interest to get things done perfectly and insisting on reasonable costs. At least they seem to have honoured my will to take the car personally to the service center, work remotely from their customer lounge throughout the day - checking on the service progress periodically and then take the car back as soon as it is done.

I clearly told them that I am not like other regular Skoda customers (rich and affluent), I have really stretched my budget to afford this 13 lakh rupees car and would not mind taking 1 day off every year to ensure proper servicing of it. They honestly appreciated.

BTW, casually found out various spare part prices:
1. Wiper blades (just the rubber) - Rs.2500 each
2. A/C condenser - Rs. 22000!!!
3. Radiator - Rs.7000 (thank god)

I really fail to understand why Skoda can not source good wiper blades at reasonable cost. The wiper blades for my Hundai Tucson (which is a CBU) are available for Rs.350 each (that too the genuine Koeran OEM ones). I really admire Hyundai for this.

BTW, I was surprized to find out that the service interval can be reset anytime simply via the reset switch on the instrument panel (I thought it could only reset clock, trip1/trip2 values, etc). In fact, I think, it can also reset the mileage (when I was trying to select all the different values that I could select one by one, I saw even the mileage was blinking at one point of selection - this is ridiculous, IMO).

The oil quality sensor - this is a real useful innovation if it's available and if it really works. Even I would then like to switch to variable oil change intervals. Would really like to see what magic the synthetic oil really does so that it costs Rs. 1000/lt. A guy on briskoda can not help but think that may be it contains gold dust and saffron powder in equal parts.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th February 2011 at 09:34.
Old 16th February 2011, 20:13   #172
BHPian

"Poor oil quality" in VCDS log and Service reminder Indicator reset

Summary : TSI seems to derive oil quality measurement in the instrument cluster logs , based on distance since last inspection and/or time since last inspections. All is well after a mild bout of suspicion and panic.

Mods: Edit/delete or move if this is not useful.

What lead to this investigation and what came of it:

My service reminder indicator came on (flashing spanner icon with SERVICE text) after I came back from a long stint outside Mumbai. I had got the car serviced two weeks prior to the 1 year interval and had not driven the car much at all after that.
Normally I would have concluded that the Service reminder was not reset . But I had purchased a Ross-Tech HEX-CAN cable and decided to look at the advanced measurements in the Instrument cluster controller (17).

I got the following ( only relevant extract shown) log
Note the oil quality measurement - it says "poor quality". Even though the oil seemed clear and good; to a suspicious mind and eye, dark possibilities loomed ! and sent me on a wild goose chase. Some good learnings though - learn to trust being one of them.

---------------------------------------------------
Friday,11,February,2011,17:43:22:09132
VCDS Version: Release 10.6.3
Data version: 20101206

17:43:00
17000 km ESI: Max lower limit of maintenance intervals distance 038
372 Days ESI: Max lower limit of maint intervals time interval 039-1
372 Days ESI: Min. oil level in service interval 039-2
372 Days ESI: Max. oil level in service interval 039-3
N/A ESI: Upr-limit of serv. int. driv. dist. 040
N/A ESI: Upr-limit of serv. int. time int. 041
N/A ESI: Lwr-limit of serv. int. driv. dist. 042
N/A ESI: Lwr-limit of serv. int. time int. 043
7400 km ESI: Distance driven since inspection 044
416 Days ESI: Time since inspection 045
0 km ESI: Soot entry 046

Friday,11,February,2011,17:46:39:09132

17:46:20
104.1 ° Fuel gauge needle position 017
1080 ml ESI: Max. oil level in service interval 039-3
13900 km ESI: Thermal load 047
poor oil quality ESI: Oil quality 048
dyn. oil press. warn. ON; oil press. < syst.-spec. sw. thresh. Oil pressure switch 049
OK Oil fill level 050
Unknown Communication status of data bus 1 051
Unknown Communication status of data bus 1 052
0 ESI: Cum. total of fuel level values 126
N/A Analysis 2 127
N/A Analysis 3 128
-------------------------------------------------------------

My questions in Team-BHP and Briskoda,net on whether the TSI engine has a real oil quality sensor went unanswered ( was this really a dumb question?). From the logs I could only conclude that the Service interval reminder was not reset based on the time since inspection being 416 days and the distance since inspection being 7400 (the difference between delivery reading and when I took the logs).
I did not want to reset the SRI myself - instead took it to JMD. The response was prompt - the supervisor assured me by demonstrating the oil was good . He took a sample from the dipstick and put it on a glass and showed how clear it was, compared to a sample which needed to be changed.

A technician reset the SRI. However he could not explain the oil quality reading at all ( did not have a clue) even though his VAS screen showed the same thing. He wrote back a "good quality oil" back into the measurement !.

All this in less than 30 minutes. I came back and looked at the logs again - see below: The measmts 041,042, 043 have values now ( they had NA earlier). Oil quality shows good. My conclusion - the service reminder was not reset and the Computer concludes if the time since last inspection > the max interval and/or distance since last inspection > max interval distance, sets the oil quality to poor quality.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Wednesday,16,February,2011,18:41:48:09132

18:41:15
31000 km ESI: Maximum upper limit of maintenance intervals distance 036
744 Days ESI: Max upper limit of maintenance intervals time interval 037
17000 km ESI: Max lower limit of maintenance intervals distance 038
372 Days ESI: Max lower limit of maint intervals time interval 039-1
372 Days ESI: Min. oil level in service interval 039-2
372 Days ESI: Max. oil level in service interval 039-3
31000 km ESI: Upr-limit of serv. int. driv. dist. 040
744 Days ESI: Upr-limit of serv. int. time int. 041
17000 km ESI: Lwr-limit of serv. int. driv. dist. 042
372 Days ESI: Lwr-limit of serv. int. time int. 043
0 km ESI: Distance driven since inspection 044
0 Days ESI: Time since inspection 045

18:42:32
0 km ESI: Soot entry 046
0 km ESI: Thermal load 047
good oil quality ESI: Oil quality 048
dyn. oil press. warn. ON; oil press. < syst.-spec. sw. thresh. Oil pressure switch 049
OK Oil fill level 050
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 16th February 2011, 20:36   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

...would not mind taking 1 day off every year to ensure proper servicing of it. ..
Anand, if you look at the personal time spent on the car in a year (cleaning, reading up on tech stuff, fixing niggles , analyzing/worrying), it is more than a day I guess. But time well spent - better than sitting in on dreary meetings.

Quote:

can help with atleast the wiper blades ! I visit UK often and there is a Skoda spare parts store close by the office . Skoda is downmarket in UK as you may know and spares are quite reasonable. Havent checked exact prices though.

Quote:
In fact, I think, it can also reset the mileage (when I was trying to select all the different values that I could select one by one, I saw even the mileage was blinking at one point of selection - this is ridiculous, IMO).

The oil quality sensor - this is a real useful innovation if it's available and if it really works. .
I don't think you can reset the main odo reading - trip yes. VCDS cannot either.
Oil quality measurement is a derived one ( from the distance since last inpspection and time from last inspection readings) and not from a real sensor as far as I can tell based on my recent investigation into the logs. I am still checking though as there is a reference to a VW oil quality sensor. Mercedes and more expensive cars do seem to have oil quality sensors. Dont take my word for it though.
With a turbo , I would advise you err on the side of caution and change earlier than advised by text book specs for oil.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:02   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi @Ravich,

OMG Wiper blades at 2500 (Bosh ones that i use cost 250-300) this is robbing. I am sure i will drop Laura from the list.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:33   #175
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

mayankjha

Wiper blades (Aero Twin type) from bosch similar to the ones on the Laura cost 2K+ so it would not be an apple to apple comparo is you compare with the Rs. 300 blades from bosch.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:04   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
mayankjha

Wiper blades (Aero Twin type) from bosch similar to the ones on the Laura cost 2K+ so it would not be an apple to apple comparo is you compare with the Rs. 300 blades from bosch.
OK, so what is so special about these blades? Agreed i am not knowledgeable regarding the differences between them and hence shouldn't compare but the cost difference is astounding, hence the comment.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:48   #177
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mayankjha, oh that is very fine, it was just a FYI.

The most good Blades last roughly the same as the normal ones, maybe a year to 6 months more 2/2.5 years instead of 1.5/2 years.

But they wipe better for longer and look better.

Bosch itself sells both kinds of blades the normal ones that are just like those of syndicate and also the expensive Aero Twins, so they must figure that there is a difference.

My Laura wiper baldes have lasted about 3 years in the current set and are still fine. But that would not be the only reason ot buy the more expensive ones.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:22   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
Anand, if you look at the personal time spent on the car in a year (cleaning, reading up on tech stuff, fixing niggles , analyzing/worrying), it is more than a day I guess. But time well spent - better than sitting in on dreary meetings.
Hi @Ravich,
Very well said - reading up, analyzing/worrying. Really fitting to my situation as well...

For wiper blades, if you could at least find the prices, it help verify what Skoda is really upto in India.

For variable service intervals, I had been thinking - it must be a function of how long the engine has run and at what speed (irrespective of the disctance travelled) - thus if the car is used frequently in bumper to bumper traffic, the engine running is far more than distance. Similarly sudden accelration and braking can be qualified as high engine load that does not reflect into higher distance travelled. If there was some way to read and record "engine revs" over a period of time, it can help decide when it's time to change the oil (of course, the revs should be recorded in higher units - say n Mega RPM or something). It will be also very interesting see average RPM per km over a period of 1 year or so...

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 1st March 2011 at 10:23.
Old 15th March 2011, 17:48   #179
BHPian

Is the premature clutch wear applicable on these new TSI models? I was checking with one of the dealer & he was saying its a problems with the old models only. How true is this?
Old 19th March 2011, 00:43   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Is the premature clutch wear applicable on these new TSI models? I was checking with one of the dealer & he was saying its a problems with the old models only. How true is this?
Have you come across any reports ? My TSI is 2009 dec registered and is running well (touch wood) . It has done less than 10k mms though. It seems to be getting better with age !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks