Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:23   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Hi Ravich,
Have you changed the alloys from the standard 15" to 16"?
Just want to know if it will impact the ride? For me, the the small alloys are the only glitch on this wonderful machine...
Haven't. Planned to change to 205/65/15 Michelin or Bridgestone. But one thing or the other came up and I haven't.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:11   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiunni View Post
Quick Scenario : he and a client of his bought Laura Petrol versions a couple of months back - they travel together occasionally - when his clients car in the incorrect gear , the car displays a upward or downward arrow according to what is appropriate -
That's interesting - my laura petrol does not do this and I can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Can we have a snap of the "upward/downward" arrow or the relevant page no. of the owner manual please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Another issue with Skoda cars is ,if you lock the car from outside with somebody inside, they cant get out. I dont know if that is the same with all german cars!!!
Once you press "lock" button on the remote, press it again within 2 seconds. This instructs the car security system to lock the car with "occupants inside" as far as I understand from the manual. See if this solves the problem. I will also try out and let you know.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 23rd April 2010 at 11:12.
Old 9th May 2010, 01:16   #123
BHPian

lamp failure indicator coming on

Found the lamp failure indicator (the one with a bulb with an X on it) in the instrument cluster coming on.
The lamps ( head, tail, fog , turn) all seem OK. Thought this was applicable only to the L&K that has the turn sensitive headlamps . Need to get it reset at the garage. Has any one seen this?
Ravi
Old 9th May 2010, 04:03   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
Found the lamp failure indicator (the one with a bulb with an X on it) in the instrument cluster coming on.
The lamps ( head, tail, fog , turn) all seem OK. Thought this was applicable only to the L&K that has the turn sensitive headlamps . Need to get it reset at the garage. Has any one seen this?
Ravi
WOW i didnt know the tsi ambient comes with this feature, could be a voltage flacuation? get it checked...
Old 9th May 2010, 05:48   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
Ravi
Yes I have seen it in my Superb 2.0 TDI PD too. Mentioned in my ownership thread too. Check the fuse box and make sure everything is snapped in properly. In my case it went away after that. There also has been two horn failures in my case for which they are now retrofitting with new horn couplers that now snap in with a clear click sound (free of cost in the warranty period). Horns also are fine after that. Avoid Skoda garage as much as possible unless absolutely necessary.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:48   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
...Check the fuse box and make sure everything is snapped in properly. In my case it went away after that. ...Avoid Skoda garage as much as possible unless absolutely necessary.
Not surprisingly , it turns out the simplest explanation is correct after all. The tail parking lamp right has failed. The manual says " all license plate lamps failing or one rear parking lamp failing" can cause this.

Skoda garage: .. In my personal experience, so far JMD in Mumbai has been very professional - if I may say so much better than GM and Maruti service centers. In any case the real bulb replacement is simple enough.
Old 9th May 2010, 14:18   #127
Team-BHP Support

Check connections. Believe me, Skoda electrics don't like the heat and varying ambient temperatures
Old 9th May 2010, 14:41   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Check connections. Believe me, Skoda electrics don't like the heat and varying ambient temperatures
well, its a german car thingie, cause there are so many electronics in these cars, so many sensors, so many gadgets
Old 15th May 2010, 18:00   #129
BHPian

There was a spare bulb in the car. It was a minutes job to replace the old one. The lamp failure warning went away.
Old 21st August 2010, 10:33   #130
BHPian

ravich, this is a awesome report. I'm looking between the Laura, Civic, Altis and Jetta. This report has been a good read. Keep the reports coming in.

Cheers!
Old 8th October 2010, 18:24   #131

Hi Ravi, first of all many thanks for your detailed review and all the follow-up comments. It's obvious that you care very deeply for every little aspect of selecting, buying, owning and using a car, and it's great to see such attention to detail to the point of obsessiveness. (Reminds me of the company slogan of Teac, an electronics manufacturer: 'Made in Japan by fanatics')!

Most of all, your reviews have been really helpful in validating my decision to go with the TSi. Just two days ago, I had nearly finalized on the TDi, but then I changed my mind because the dealer (Autobahn) has offered me a MASSIVE discount of 1.5 lakhs on the TSi (that includes 100000 dealer discount, 17500 corporate discount and 33600 finance discount).

With this discount, the price difference between TSi and TDi became large enough to neutralize the fuel cost difference, which I calculated very conservatively as follows:
(a) My annual expected usage is 10,000 km
(b) Petrol: Assume minimum FE of 10kmpl, regular unleaded fuel price of Rs.52/l, giving an annual fuel cost of Rs.52000
(c) Diesel: Assume maximum FE of 14kmpl, regular fuel price of Rs.42/l, giving an annual fuel cost of Rs.30,000
(d) Fuel cost saved with TDi = Rs.22,000 per year
(e) Time to recover initial price difference = almost 5.5 years.

That took care of the logical / rational factors.

And then, I test drove the TSi just today, which took care of the emotional factors!

What a stunner of an engine! It's simply unbelievable that a petrol engine can deliver its peak torque at such a low rpm (1500), and keep the torque curve flat all the way upto 4000 rpm. I was completely blown away by the experience.

I've been driving my 1.9TDi Octavia for over 3 years and have grown to love its low rpm pulling power, so I'd been obstinately looking only for a diesel replacement. And now I've got the same feel with the TSi (except the slight stall tendency in 1st gear which you've already mentioned).

Ravi, I have four questions for which I'd greatly appreciate your inputs before I sign the cheque:

1. My biggest dilemma is the dealer factor. What's been your experience with JMD after your last comment in April?

2. When you were initially buying, did you also approach Autobahn? If yes, what's your feedback, and what made you go with JMD?

If you have any information and opinion on the choice of dealership between Autobahn and JMD, please do share.

3. Car colour: Aside from personal preference, would you recommend going with silver or white?

4. What is the pressure you maintain in your OEM tyres? Or, if you managed to get around to changing them, what did you go with, and what's your experience with the new tyres?

Look forward to hear from you and thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th October 2010 at 19:03. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Please Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 8th October 2010, 19:50   #132
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You guys may be interested in this, have a read:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...vag-com-3.html
Old 26th October 2010, 23:53   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayess View Post
Most of all, your reviews have been really helpful in validating my decision to go with the TSi. Just two days ago, I had nearly finalized on the TDi, but then I changed my mind because the dealer (Autobahn) has offered me a MASSIVE discount of 1.5 lakhs on the TSi (that includes 100000 dealer discount, 17500 corporate discount and 33600 finance discount).
Ravi, I have four questions for which I'd greatly appreciate your inputs before I sign the cheque:

1. My biggest dilemma is the dealer factor. What's been your experience with JMD after your last comment in April?

2. When you were initially buying, did you also approach Autobahn? If yes, what's your feedback, and what made you go with JMD?

If you have any information and opinion on the choice of dealership between Autobahn and JMD, please do share.

3. Car colour: Aside from personal preference, would you recommend going with silver or white?

4. What is the pressure you maintain in your OEM tyres? Or, if you managed to get around to changing them, what did you go with, and what's your experience with the new tyres?

Look forward to hear from you and thanks in advance for your advice.
Sorry if this response is late to be useful... Am out of India in Cambridge UK for an extended period - missed this post .
My experience with JMD has been very positive. Have no complaints at all. They seemed to treat even minor niggles seriously.
Irrespective of where you purchased from., you can get any servicing done by JMD if you choose to . They have service centers in Andheri and Bhandup . Keep in mind I have no experience with Autobahn.

I actually got a discount from JMD, matching what Autobahn offered.

I have not changed the tyres (yet). I stick to 32/32 psi ( I drive myself mostly - only weekends with family ). I am not sure the full load rear recommended 48psi is correct. I would not advise setting it that high.
If you are an enthusiastic driver I would suggest you change them to 205/55 16 .

I went for Black ( high maintenance I guess) because the Arctice Breeze and Beige looked a bit dull ( badly maintained test drive cars ). I later realized the beige looked quite good. If you polish it once in a while, it remains brilliant.
I am not much of a white fan.

Do keep a can of the recommended engine oil and check periodically.

Hope you enjoy the drives in the TSI as much as I did ( do ) !

Ravi
Old 27th October 2010, 09:24   #134
BHPian

@Ravich :- thanks for keeping us updated with your experience of the 1.8 TSI beauty, like @jaykeyess i am too contemplating the 2.0 TDi but i guess i will go back to 1.8 TSi
I have sold my Baleno VXi recently hence was looking for replacment, I have taken test drive of 1.8 Tsi and Cruz LTZ AT car in september.

Things that are in favour of cruz LTZ AT
lots of bell and whistles, 16" tyre, leather upholstlery, New/wow factor like PEPS and most imporatantly AT option.
Against
Not so exciting drive as compared to Laura, the after sales service still to be proven, not a enthusiast drivers car, biggest draw back - less space in the back seat.

things in favour of Laura 2.0 TDi AT ambiente
superb engine with economy and power with driving dynamics, loads of space as compared to Cruz LTZ, proven car, most imporatant DSG auto.
against
Reputation of bad service ( though I will buy from JMD bhandup), no Auto climate control, No leather seats, Supposedly high maintenance cost ( need bit of advice from all Laura 2.0 new gen owners)
Laura 2.0 TDi elegence model
It has all that i want but the price is too high,

so if i am ready to compramise on AT and auto aircon i guess 1.8 TSi should be my choice but... I guess i am crying same old tune of 1.8 TSi being offered in only ambiente version.

Oh my driving is only 10,000 per year so diesel car is not a must, its just that there was not much of AT choice in petrol ( no to Civic/corolla) i am looking at these cars.

basically it's a call between three cars laura 1.8 TSi, laura 2.0 PDi AT and Cruz LTZ AT
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:21   #135

Folks, I have booked a Laura TSI as well. Whats the current latest and greatest recommendation for tyres based on current availability for the following cases:
a) Retaining 15" rims: comfort, handling and performance (retaining 15" will probably give better fuel economy anyway)
b) Upgrading to 16": comfort, fuel economy
c) Upgrading to 16": comfort, handling and performance

Mods let me know if this question is better posed on a different thread.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks