Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 02:02   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Ravich, a small query. I know this car has all 4 power windows... The spec sheet says "One touch". Is it one touch for all 4 windows or only for the driver's side?
Old 13th February 2010, 04:10   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Hey Ravich, a small query. I know this car has all 4 power windows... The spec sheet says "One touch". Is it one touch for all 4 windows or only for the driver's side?
all windows its one good feature i must say..
Old 13th February 2010, 12:23   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Berj, for the replies in both the threads .

It definitely is a fantastic feature. Also , do the windows at the rear go down fully or only three quarters?
Old 13th February 2010, 22:32   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Thanks Berj, for the replies in both the threads .

It definitely is a fantastic feature. Also , do the windows at the rear go down fully or only three quarters?
Yes, windows go down fully for rear ones.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:50   #110
BHPian

Laura TSI post running in experience

Moderators - if this should be in a different thread , please move it to the right one.

Overall experience : Excellent. FE is lower than my initial days now that I am redlining not infrequently ( just cant resist that if the road is clear). Havent timed the 0 to 100 but it seems remarkably quick and sounds great.

Am using regular unleaded . Tried one tankful of Speed - I thought the engine revs on early monrning start was slightly different (starts slightly above 1000 and comes below 1000 in a minute or less) - not sure if it was due this.

Night driving : glare from oncoming seems slighly annoying when you have the oncoming headlight hitting you straight. Not sure if the 3M spray I use is causing this or my night vision is worsening. Dont see this in the Optra I own .

I still have not pushed the car to anywhere near its top speed - highest so far 145 km/h. 5th and 6th gear accel did not seem too exciting above 140. But did not really have a chance to try. Hope to do this this weekend.

Looking for a safe engine bay cleaner and leather cleaner ( as opposed to a conditioner).

Service experience

Went to the JMD service center first for the oil specs even though oil level was Ok. They checked the oil level promptly and confirmed it was OK. I saw it too. They told me what they use Shell Helix Ultra that meets the VW spec. Bought a can of 4 ltrs ( expensive !). When I checked later at home, did find oil level slightly closer to the lower safe limit ( car was on level ground) ,so topped it up to be safe.

Second : An annoying barely audible squeak - traced it to the glove compartment . Instead of trying to fix it myself with a silicon spray took it to the servcie center in Bhandup. Was pleased at the prompt response, the service supervisor (Umesh) actually listened carefully to what I said, took a test drive and took me into the workshop floor, opened the side panel, sprayed the silicon lubricant. Took a test drive again , confirmed problem was fixed. All under 40 minutes . For some one used to fighting with GM supervisors to make them listen , this was a pleasant experience indeed.

I plan to change the oil and filter at 7500. Plan to get the Ross tech cable on my next trip
Old 12th March 2010, 18:13   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
Moderators - if this should be in a different thread , please move it to the right one.
Nope, same thread is good enough. Thanks for sharing the update.

Quote:
Havent timed the 0 to 100 but it seems remarkably quick and sounds great.
I bet! That engine is a jewel and the one to have from the current breed of C+ segmenters.

Quote:
Am using regular unleaded . Tried one tankful of Speed - I thought the engine revs on early monrning start was slightly different (starts slightly above 1000 and comes below 1000 in a minute or less) - not sure if it was due this.
Speed in regular octane grading? Best to avoid. However, that 1.8 TSI is known to offer optimum performance (and best acceleration times) with high octane fuel.

Quote:
I plan to change the oil and filter at 7500.
Smart move. I would also change the engine oil at a max 7,500 kms mark, irrespective of the manufacturer recommending 10K / 15K drain intervals.

How do you find the air-con, Ravich? Laura air-con complaints have risen of late.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:16   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How do you find the air-con, Ravich? Laura air-con complaints have risen of late.
In Mumbai , so far the AC is acceptable. I drive mostly in the morning and evening to and from work. Occasional noon drives during weekends: Mumbai has not been too hot - so adequate. If you keep it in the shade or keep windows slightly open when parked, it cools quickly enough. I dont have any sun control film - the car is black.
But I suspect the airflow temp at the vent is probably higher than what you would see in say Optra at the same ambient and comparable max settings.

I actually like the front and dash vent/airflow design - does not hit you in the face. The windscreen misting when ambient is humid or cool is definitely annoying.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:28   #113
BHPian

Quote:
In Mumbai , so far the AC is acceptable. I drive mostly in the morning and evening to and from work. Occasional noon drives during weekends: Mumbai has not been too hot - so adequate. If you keep it in the shade or keep windows slightly open when parked, it cools quickly enough. I dont have any sun control film - the car is black.
But I suspect the airflow temp at the vent is probably higher than what you would see in say Optra at the same ambient and comparable max settings.

I actually like the front and dash vent/airflow design - does not hit you in the face. The windscreen misting when ambient is humid or cool is definitely annoying.
to avoid the misting of windscreen put the vent direction more toward the feet, dont put in direct on chest but more in between of chest & feet thats what i do & it doesnt mist the windscreen, hope u understood what i m trying to say..
Old 13th March 2010, 01:11   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
to avoid the misting of windscreen put the vent direction more toward the feet, dont put in direct on chest but more in between of chest & feet thats what i do & it doesnt mist the windscreen, hope u understood what i m trying to say..
The vents on the dash close to the windshield are not adjustable. I am referring to windshield misting. Not sure if you are referring to this.
Old 13th March 2010, 02:54   #115
BHPian

Quote:
The vents on the dash close to the windshield are not adjustable. I am referring to windshield misting. Not sure if you are referring to this.
yes i m talking about windscreen misting thats what i do on my FL laura & it works, try it
Old 19th March 2010, 22:16   #116
BHPian

Laura TSI Max speed and 0-100kph timing

Tried to test the top speed of TSI on the Mumbai Pune expressway.
Speedo touched 210 kph (not sure what the error is ) . Felt quite stable. It seemed to have a little more left. (5kph?)

Tried the dynolicious (on iTouch) for 0-100 timing. Uncalibrated default trigger.
Timing varied from 7.05 sec to 10.5sec . Its probably grossly inaccurate.

Cruising at 140 to 180 seemed effortless. Deserted expressway at the time - so no risks to others or self lest I provoke some horrified comments. Did see body roll (not as bad as Optra or the Altis though)

So overall mighty satisfied. Goodyear tyres make a big racket. AC in the afternoon - took a while to cool rear passenger seat on the return journey . FE 10kpl for the round trip ( from MFD)

The glovebox squeak is back though.
Old 19th March 2010, 23:54   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Ravich, trust me, the car needs waaaaay better tyres. I know it's not financially feasible, but in my opinion, it's worth it to just junk those tyres and get some Continental CPC2s at the very least.
Old 17th April 2010, 20:27   #118
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ravich,
Have you changed the alloys from the standard 15" to 16"?
Just want to know if it will impact the ride? For me, the the small alloys are the only glitch on this wonderful machine...
Old 18th April 2010, 08:53   #119
BHPian

Request Clarification: gear indication

Posting this on behalf of a friend who is a little puzzled by a feature in his Laura - or rather the lack of it -

Quick Scenario : he and a client of his bought Laura Petrol versions a couple of months back - they travel together occasionally - when his clients car in the incorrect gear , the car displays a upward or downward arrow according to what is appropriate -

Back to his car gets no indication - he asks his dealer , dealer says no such feature exists - he is back to his clients car and he sees the guidance when in the wrong gear -

any comments ?
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:51   #120
BHPian

Window Mist

The misting issue can be sorted out by the service centre guys in < 20 min. They insert a padding into the dash vent and no more fiddling with thermostat and vents to sort out the mist.

Is the stalling issue fancied by Tsi owners too?. I thought it was limited to Diesel.

Another issue with Skoda cars is ,if you lock the car from outside with somebody inside, they cant get out. I dont know if that is the same with all german cars!!!

Once since the area was not safe, I had locked the car with someone inside and the keys were with me. He called me up 5 min later and said he needs to get out to take a leak and the car is not letting him .

Last edited by artofzen : 22nd April 2010 at 23:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks