Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 11:34   #181
BHPian

Re: Laura TSI Initial ownership experience

I have seen many posts talking about it. However they are old posts & nothing specific to Tsi. The dealer called me up Uday & was offering a 1.25 lac disc for a Mumbai registration. I don't think I can resist anymore.
Old 27th March 2011, 14:22   #182
BHPian

Re: Getting rid of minor squeaks - Laura TSI

I had some niggling squeaks on bad roads coming from the seats.
I looked deeper and found the Stanley rear seat covers side edges were rubbing against the frame. Unlatched the rear seats , opened them out and applied liberal doses of leather polish /cleaner on the sides.
No squeaks . Absolutely quiet and still a thrill to drive.
Old 1st April 2011, 14:06   #183
buz
BHPian

@ Ravich: Great thread! Really enjoyed reading it. Ironically, this is after I myself have set out the booking amount for a Black Ambiente TSI myself! Had I read your thread earlier, the purchase could have been advanced by almost a month! Most of my questions seem to have been answered. One question remains, that a few members have just asked as well - how is the clutch faring in Mumbai traffic? Is there considerable judder or none exists?
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:15   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
'...One question remains, that a few members have just asked as well - how is the clutch faring in Mumbai traffic? Is there considerable judder or none exists?
Buz,
Happy the thread answered some of the questions. As for clutch, I have not had any problems so far . But as I was traveling heavily in 2010, I clocked only 10000kms in the year. in Mumbai traffic, I commute 12 kms (one way ) in some what light traffic on the easter expressway . I am very careful not to ride the clutch , keep my left foot on the generous dead pedal , keep my hand off the gear knob (abundant caution I guess). So no problems so far.
I know in very heavy bumper to bumper traffic, it is a little tiresome to maintain this...
You wont regret buying the TSI - I can assure you. I just bought a 320d CE and I can tell you the TSI in performance keeps its head high next to it. Take it to Pune on the expressway for some driving fun.
Happy driving . I do hope you enjoy driving it as much or more than I did
Ravi
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:03   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich
I had some niggling squeaks on bad roads coming from the seats.
I looked deeper and found the Stanley rear seat covers side edges were rubbing against the frame. Unlatched the rear seats , opened them out and applied liberal doses of leather polish /cleaner on the sides.
No squeaks . Absolutely quiet and still a thrill to drive.
That's a good suggestion Ravich. Will try it. Thanks. By the way, please keep sharing your experiences on the Tsi. I hope with the new 320d, the tsi review does not take a backseat.
Old 20th August 2012, 01:19   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
You wont regret buying the TSI - I can assure you. I just bought a 320d CE and I can tell you the TSI in performance keeps its head high next to it. Take it to Pune on the expressway for some driving fun.
Happy driving . I do hope you enjoy driving it as much or more than I did
Ravi
Hi Ravich, how is your TSI doing? I took a test drive today and was floored with the engine. Loved every bit, can't stop smiling yet. Now, going through all the threads on TSI to be sure about what to expect. Your feedback will surely help. Also, how has been your experience so far with the Skoda ***?
Old 20th August 2012, 02:01   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Hi Ravich, how is your TSI doing? I took a test drive today and was floored with the engine. Loved every bit, can't stop smiling yet. Now, going through all the threads on TSI to be sure about what to expect. Your feedback will surely help. Also, how has been your experience so far with the Skoda ***?
Shreyas,
Have had no issues with Skoda service (JMD's to be precise). The car has been largely niggle free. I had a brief problem with the front driver side remote lock - that seems to have resolved itself. Other than that no problem whatso ever.
TSI still continues to bring a smile - the excitement is tempered only in comparison to the 320d's rear wheel drive and steering responsiveness and handling.
Be aware flooring the engine can guzzle gas at a frightening rate (again in comparison to the miserly diesel ).
If you are a driving enthusiast, this is a no brainer in my opinion. I have not driven the Linea Tjet - that migt be the only other contender in this segment for us.
Good luck.
Ravich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 02:11   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Shreyas,
Have had no issues with Skoda service (JMD's to be precise). The car has been largely niggle free. I had a brief problem with the front driver side remote lock - that seems to have resolved itself. Other than that no problem whatso ever.
TSI still continues to bring a smile - the excitement is tempered only in comparison to the 320d's rear wheel drive and steering responsiveness and handling.
Be aware flooring the engine can guzzle gas at a frightening rate (again in comparison to the miserly diesel ).
If you are a driving enthusiast, this is a no brainer in my opinion. I have not driven the Linea Tjet - that migt be the only other contender in this segment for us.
Good luck.
Thanks for a quick response. Test drove the t-jet yesterday. That is also a lovely engine, but somehow the TSI is more refined or may be the NVH levels in laura are superior. Could not get a good driving position in the t-jet, and the clutch felt really uncomfortable, my ankle had to be bent a lot or my foot had to be lifted up to press it, no such thing in the laura, the seating position was good. Though rear seats were better IMO in the linea than laura. AC was just about ok in the laura, eager to know your experience with it.

The only thing is there is a discount of about 2.5 lakhs in line, and OTR mumbai is ~ 8.44 lakhs. For the laura, getting a discount of 1.75 lakhs, OTR comes to about 15 lakhs (Have you heard about what deals are going around?). But overall loved the laura and think it would be a proper upgrade to my esteem.

And about the fuel consumption, am a petrol head and so have to accept that holes in my pocket to would get deeper .
Old 20th August 2012, 12:18   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
... AC was just about ok in the laura, eager to know your experience with it....

.... (Have you heard about what deals are going around?). But overall loved the laura and think it would be a proper upgrade to my esteem....

And about the fuel consumption, am a petrol head and so have to accept that holes in my pocket to would get deeper .
I fitted 3M clear sun control film all around incl windshield. It helps and you cant tell there is a sun film installed. AC is adequate but not exactly a benchmark. If you make a lot short trips around noon in summer, could be a bit of a bother for rear seat passengers . The rear vent is an apology really. AC is not a deal breaker. Compressor failures were a problem in the Laura. Havent heard any new reports of failures.

No info on deals. I would think they sell so few TSIs that they would be keen to push inventory. Check the vehicle in the stockyard . Did you try the vRS? If the suspension setup is stiffer, it should be better than the std TSI.

I had an Esteem too ! Am sure the TSI will provide hours of delight.
Old 20th August 2012, 12:40   #190
BHPian

Quote:
I fitted 3M clear sun control film all around incl windshield. It helps and you cant tell there is a sun film installed. AC is adequate but not exactly a benchmark. If you make a lot short trips around noon in summer, could be a bit of a bother for rear seat passengers . The rear vent is an apology really. AC is not a deal breaker. Compressor failures were a problem in the Laura. Havent heard any new reports of failures.

No info on deals. I would think they sell so few TSIs that they would be keen to push inventory. Check the vehicle in the stockyard . Did you try the vRS? If the suspension setup is stiffer, it should be better than the std TSI.

I had an Esteem too ! Am sure the TSI will provide hours of delight.
Thanks Ravich! I think ac is still better than my esteem. :-)

You are right, for dec 2011 manufactured TSI am getting ~ 2 lakhs discount without any negotiations, and for 2012 ~ 1 lakhs. Once I finalize, will start the negotiations. vRS is out of budget, it will at least be 2-2.5 lakhs costlier, if it were ~ 1 lakh more, would certainly have gone for it. Lets see, may be in december, the discounts will be meatier, keeping a close look at it and hoping to close the deal at the right time.
Old 30th September 2012, 23:09   #191
BHPian

Re: Laura TSI Fuel gauge stuck at zero

Have been experiencing erratic fuel level display in the Laura TSI. It will get stuck at zero and on its own suddenly show the correct level . Finally I got around to checking this using the VCDS diagnostics. Not surprisingly instrument controller reports fuel gauge resistance too high (fault). Output test moves the display gauge needle correctly. So connector/cable problem or resistance problem. I suspect cabling - will check and update. There were rat dropping some time back .

This is the second (though minor ) issue in nearly 3 years with the Laura - had a door remote lock problem (erratic behaviour) . This sorted itself even though the OBD reports the malfuntion.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:32   #192
BHPian

Hi Ravi, this seems to be a common issue reported in Laura, Yeti, Vento. First time seeing this on a Petrol TSI.

Fuel sensor works by measuring electric resistance of fuel to assess the quantity of fuel. Higher the resistance, greater the quantity of fuel. Incase of malfunctioning even as the car is being driven for several kilometres, if the fuel sensor does not see resistance falling it sends default safe signal to show zero fuel in the cluster. Among the diesels atleast the sensor is located in the fuel pump and the entire pump unit has had to be replaced. In a couple of cases I know Skoda has been doing this change under warranty. I suggest you head to the service centre.

Cheers
Rohit
rohitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 19:58   #193
BHPian

Re: Laura TSI 3rd Service -growing disenchantment

Took the TSI for its third service (21135 kms) to JMD, with prior appointment . Problems during the year : A fuel gauge that after 15 to 30 minutes of driving shows zero ( VCDS scan shows gauge sender resistance high /open ) and annoying noise from glove box (on bad roads).
Cost me INR 20665 , considerable annoyance and time.
Net result:
I am still enamoured with the TSI but thoroughly disenchanted with JMD and the quality of Skoda components.
In extreme moments it seems like my BMW 320d seems far less expensive all things considered ; and my wife's Figo Ford customer service seems to be brilliant compared to JMDs. JMD has fallen from grace .

The excruciating details:

The garage seems overcrowded, service worse that I recall in earlier visits. The Service advisor , a glum individual advises me it will take two days and is impervious to my shock and disappointment. Quotes around 14K explainig this is a paid service , forgetting I seem to have "paid" hefty sums the first two services as well. At my inability to spare another 2 or 3 hours the next day for picking up the car, he says with barely concealed pride, that they have too many cars to handle and implies that most of their clients send their drivers to do pick up their cars. In the job card however puts down same day delivery with a conspiratorial note that garage mechanics would not touch it the same day if he put down next day delivery. He says wheel alignment and balancing , oil+ filter, airfilter will be changed and charged including labor.
I add weakly and with little hope that the fuel guage sender may be OK but the cabling may be loose or bitten by rats as such components in modern cars rarely fail. He tells me with the wisdom of the Skoda wise that these kind of problems are to be expected.
Later in the day some one informs me over phone that the fuel gauge sender will have to be replaced and it will cost me another 5200 and ofcourse they cannot complete the job till the next day.
As expected I am unable to collect the car the next day and end up going the day after. Take it for a test drive, find nothing worse for the service , cant detect the glove box noise in the din of the day. I ask for the diagnostics and wheel alignment print out only to be told, printer is out of order and I need to be more trusting. Oil seems to have been replaced engine bay looks exactly the same as I left it before service ( I clean it frequently so it is difficulty to tell if they have washed it well or not) .
I vent my anger about the lack of diagnostics and alignment print outs and note these in the customer sign off forms ( no one cares really and they make it quite obvious) .
Leave the garage, by evening driver side door remote opening does not work. Glove box noise is as annoying as ever. Call the service advisor - who promptly responds that when I took delivery, everything was OK. Indeed they were - I had checked everything - Skoda seems to have some magic timer that makes problems show up exactly 2 ours after you leave the garage.

I checked the VCDS diagnostics - it turns out they had not reset the old fault codes at all (Fuel gauge sender ). The door lock too seems to be reported now but the first instance after my last reset seems to be after the service. The problem used to occur earlier but resolved itself . Strangely the earlier problem started after the second service ! I am hoping the gremlins will go away again.

Saving grace - I took the car for a drive to the airport and back ; with the air filter, oil and service, the TSI seemed more eager and brought the smile back.

I tell myself good customer service in India does not scale well. But a silver lining after all: Ford's customer service delighted us when my wifes Figos battery failed - providing a new one in half an hour after a call.
Attached Thumbnails
Laura TSI Initial ownership experience-skoda3rdservice.jpg  

Last edited by Ravich : 22nd December 2012 at 20:06.
Ravich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 20:07   #194
BHPian

Re: Laura TSI 3rd Service -growing disenchantment

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2012 at 11:46.
ketla2411 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd December 2012, 20:29   #195
Team-BHP Support

Send it to Autobahn buddy, can guarantee you they will give much better service. Try it next time around, can tell you who to speak to over there. I'm talking about Autobahn Sewri, and it may be far for you but once in a year its worth it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks