Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 15:56   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I heard a similar complaint at Nagpur dealer for an AT[hose pipe lock busted and AT ceases].
They should do a proactive recall of all A/Ts instead of being reactive. Seriously.

Only positive thing is that it is probably not a terrain/climate related issue.......

Last edited by suman : 30th July 2010 at 15:57.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:26   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Spike- an ignorant question, why do Tata and M&M hubs on 4x4 models have the centre hub protruding out like a chariot hub?
Why cant it be flush with the rest of the wheel?
Is it something to do with lockable hubs?
That's because of the ALH (auto locking hubs) in front.
2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-hub1.jpg

The rear hubs have those extended covers to match the front ones.
2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-hub2.jpg

Awfully easy to break/damage.
2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-hub3.jpg

2WD Scorpios have the flat hubs.
2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-hub.jpg
Old 30th July 2010, 16:35   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Spike- an ignorant question, why do Tata and M&M hubs on 4x4 models have the centre hub protruding out like a chariot hub?
Why cant it be flush with the rest of the wheel?
Is it something to do with lockable hubs?
Both axles used by Tata and M&M are similar, you can compensate this by using different offset wheels. In fact I've seen a few Gypsy's with fixed hubs having the hubs flushed very well with spigot area in the wheels. Even with fixed hubs, if you intend to use the FWH's again it starts protruding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes because front have freewheeling lockable hub I belive but would wait for Spike to give precise answer.
Amit you are spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Hose pipe as well the locking mechanism design has been changed, there seems to be 3 hose pipe that has been changed along side the AT transmission box. I heard a similar complaint at Nagpur dealer for an AT[hose pipe lock busted and AT ceases].

-Pramod
Pramod, is the material for the hose different? What is the exact change done? Can I have a clearer picture?

Spike
Old 30th July 2010, 17:12   #364
BHPian

I will get the images later, it looks like different from the one I had in my vehicle, they changed the hose that was coming from AT to cooler, then cooler to radiator and radiator to cooler, may be I will ask the coTek here to let me know the part number which you can verify internally!
-Pramod
Old 1st August 2010, 09:22   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Spike: I disagree with the FWH theory. Ford Endy has FWH, but they have managed to conceal it without it protruding out so much.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:34   #366
BHPian

Back on road full throttle

The break down and paint issue are gone by, now it back to enjoying the drives and get some fun in rain!.

Got stuck royally and the place where I got stuck was having muck in front and 50 meters which I have already crossed, the place where it got stuck was at a almost 90 degree turn and I lost the momentum and the vehicle almost sunk, it rested on the chassis.

2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-013small.jpg

2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-014small.jpg

2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-015small.jpg

2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-016small.jpg

Possibility of pull from either side was not possible, the only possibility was to jack up and put something underneath each tire and get out with mHawk power and return the same patch with momentum, as road ahead was not possible.

It took 3 hours and 4 people to get this going with the supplied jack, the only advantage the 4wd Scorpio has the tail, which was used to jack it up from back, from front the jack was used at individual wheels to jack it up.

-Pramod
PS: Enjoyed the 4wd high and low, learnt lots of lesson, but mHawk is a real capable vehicle for sure. Causality, the tire need balancing, the vehicle wobble now, looks like all the previous attached weights are gone!

Last edited by pramods : 15th August 2010 at 20:36.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:14   #367
Senior - BHPian

I am imagining how you must have placed that jack under the front wheels in this condition. Good to hear that you enjoyed your m-Hawk.

Spike
Old 15th August 2010, 22:14   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

GC is a major issue with the Scorpio 4x4. I have had issue with the bottom scraping getting suck. Safari is better in this aspect as it doesn't wear a skirt like the Scorpio.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:51   #369
Senior - BHPian

this is what the car is meant for & you are really enjoying your vehicle buddy. kudos.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:03   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh boy! You sure are having fun, Pramod!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I am imagining how you must have placed that jack under the front wheels in this condition.
+1 to that! Spike, what about the risk of water getting on to the connectors of the 4wd shift mechanism?

@4x4addict: Good time to bring out a high lift jack in this kind of situation?
Old 15th August 2010, 23:37   #371
BHPian

@pramods: you got a video for this awsome, "have-guts-will-offroad" stunt

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2010 at 10:50. Reason: STRICTLY no inappropriate language please. We have a varied audience onboard
Old 16th August 2010, 08:55   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
GC is a major issue with the Scorpio 4x4. I have had issue with the bottom scraping getting suck. Safari is better in this aspect as it doesn't wear a skirt like the Scorpio.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

+1 to that! Spike, what about the risk of water getting on to the connectors of the 4wd shift mechanism?
Yes indeed, for electric shift 4wd this is an added danger

Spike
Old 16th August 2010, 09:54   #373
BHPian

Electric shift switched are quit high up, I mean unless you are too deep in water this mean foot step need to be in water. the advantage that I have is while replacing the transmission, the connectors are placed now more higher up, initially they were lower but after replacement I have seen them placed quite high.

For this type of situation you need high lift jack, but you still can manage with the current jack provided you have wooden planks of 1x4 feet that can be placed one above to operate jacks, we adjusted the plank at an angle and placed the jack on it, hold the jack till the weight it took the weight and then it starts lifting the vehicle, place stone underneath, and we repeated this till we it was good enough.
Frankly at one point I was too worried as no other vehicle to pull and it started raining too, but once we were able to get out of this, mHawk was able to cross it back on it own power!!

No video and no after shot, I was not in position to use Camera till I returned home!

-Pramod
Few Images at home, Scorpio need a good wash
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-004small.jpg  

2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-005small.jpg  

2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-008small.jpg  

Old 16th August 2010, 10:24   #374
Senior - BHPian

Wow, i love these pics. scorpios ought to be dirty!
Old 17th August 2010, 15:01   #375
Senior - BHPian

Cant we use shovels, spade etc to remove the mud, slush around and get the car going ? I had seen one such setting in a Pajero here in Gurgaon - it was integrated well in the spare wheel cover. Very useful stuff for conditions like this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks