Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2010, 20:31   #196
BHPian

Cafe Cadell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks but I'll pass. Not to my tastes at all.

Well said! A car from a higher segment at the price of a lower segment. Again, the sheer beauty of buying used. I've said it before and I say it again : Ain't buying a new car for a long time to come.

Actually, buying a used AT is probably safer than a used MT. With an AT, there's no chance of clutch abuse. Some boxes don't even allow you to high-revv.

Plus, modern slushboxes are virtually maintenance free, only requiring fresh oil changes once in a blue moon.

Will try not to. Though you guys will have to be patient. I intend to take my own sweet time researching & modifying.

Proportionate designs. Take a look at my OHC; a simple wheel + tyre upgrade made it a stunner:

Attachment 307309

Attachment 307310

Attachment 307311

Attachment 307312

Just get used to it, I guess.
Hey GTO isnt this the Cafe Cadell lane at cadell road or is it the lane besides Hinduja?? This place had become a haven for drag bike races sometime back before cops stopped it.

Congrats on the new car? I have driven the ANHC at 120km/hr and though in no way was the handling poor, it wasnt very confidence inspiring. I was pleasantly surprised to to read about high speed manners of civic.Though I ll be a bit more partial to europeans .

Congrats once again for NA 132 horses and happy modding

Last edited by MihirC : 14th March 2010 at 20:32. Reason: spell check
Old 14th March 2010, 20:52   #197
BANNED

Congrats on the new car.Thought of buying a second hand civic before going for the RS.But then the cost was too high.So went in for the RS.I think the maintenance issues are very low when compared to skoda in the same segment.
Old 14th March 2010, 21:45   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
How do you adjust to the fact that you can't see the Bonnet through the windshield.i can never be at peace in a tight space. any day i find it easier to park my dad's OHC Vetc.at least in madras where the traffic is so chaotic in peak hours people just love to cut into your way when they see its a honda.i woud prefer driving something i can see the bonnet in front. i can't exactly get used to the fact that after some time you can estimate the distance.no matter how well you do i don't think it comes close to bringing the front of the bonnet to a close shave
The same apprehension I have about my Civic which am getting home next week. I am so comfortable in my Esteem being able to view the bonnet while its just the other way round in the Civic. Guess I have to be more vigilant during the early days of my ownership. As GTO said, we dont have a choice but to get used to it.
Old 15th March 2010, 01:55   #199
Senior - BHPian

Saw it outside Soul Fry last night. Unbelievably clean, nice car you landed yourself. Sticker's nice too "gto's bhp" That's how I recognized it.
Old 15th March 2010, 04:34   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks but I'll pass. Not to my tastes at all.
Thought this would come up as the reply!

So, not sure about this suggestion- anyways, i think the red Honda H logo would suit it from the rear. Have seen it in one of the cars on the forum, and it looked cool. But I dont remember which one.

This is the kind of logo, i am mentioning (not promoting the ad)-

(Source- Team-BHP Classifieds - Genuine Honda Jazz Red Honda Front Logo BRAND NEW - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds)

EDIT: See ITNerd's Civic.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ture-2947.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th March 2010 at 04:44.
Old 15th March 2010, 08:06   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
How do you adjust to the fact that you can't see the Bonnet through the windshield.i can never be at peace in a tight space. any day i find it easier to park my dad's OHC Vetc.at least in madras where the traffic is so chaotic in peak hours people just love to cut into your way when they see its a honda.i woud prefer driving something i can see the bonnet in front. i can't exactly get used to the fact that after some time you can estimate the distance.no matter how well you do i don't think it comes close to bringing the front of the bonnet to a close shave

I can shave off bikers' entry and exit routes fairly well without seeing anything out front. *shrug*

Last edited by Dippy : 15th March 2010 at 10:21. Reason: Correcting quote
Old 15th March 2010, 11:24   #202
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Got me wondering. Why didn't you get an AT? I remember that, in many threads, you had been vocal about the practicality of autoboxes on our roads.
I am a huge fan of ATs and think they make sense, especially in our driving conditions. Even within my circle of family & friends, I lose count of how many people I've convinced into buying an AT.

That said, my personal preference is a slick shifting manual. Nothing beats the joy of working a smooth engine - manually - through the gears to an enthusiast. Again, while this is my choice of tranny, I do think ATs are better for the general population (who could care less about high-revving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
It all makes logical sense but somehow I still dont like buying a used car. Please dont take it aversely, you seem to have got a splendid deal as well as an almost brand new car ; its just that my heart rules over the head when it comes to cars.
God bless you and your thoughts, Takumi-san. After all, if it weren't for you, how would we pre-worshipped car fans get amazing deals? I mean, someone's gotta buy new right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Hey GTO isnt this the Cafe Cadell lane at cadell road or is it the lane besides Hinduja??
Good observation. Sure is.

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised to to read about high speed manners of civic.Though I ll be a bit more partial to europeans
Europeans still rule the roost when it comes to high-speed manners. I don't expect the Civic to match the C220 on the expressway.

However, premium Japs have come a long way. The Civic is stable enough at high speed, in no way nervous, and relevant to my purchase....is a giant leap ahead of the OHC Vtec in this department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Saw it outside Soul Fry last night. Unbelievably clean, nice car you landed yourself.
Thanks flyingspur! Holla the next time, will you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So, not sure about this suggestion- anyways, i think the red Honda H logo would suit it from the rear.
Thanks for the suggestion. I may entirely debadge my Civic though (planned & contemplating).
Old 15th March 2010, 11:46   #203
BHPian

GTO,

I surely second this point of taking on a larger car. I have experienced this between my swift and dad's corolla. Both have the same maintenance cost as far as running cost and fuel efficiency goes, OK i accept the corolla gives a Km more on the highway. So the next time i wish to change my swift it will surely be a Honda or Toyota premium car.

Have a great drive in your civic

Regards

Kaushik Krishnan
Old 15th March 2010, 11:50   #204
BHPian

Congrats. You got one awesome deal. 8.1L for a loaded 7k Civic is superb. I think the reason for the low price is that for used cars in India, the year is a bigger determining factor than mileage. I doubt the price of a 30k km 07 Civic would be drastically lower, for example.

Looking forward to the dyno runs.

Last edited by Dippy : 15th March 2010 at 12:48. Reason: Post edited. Please do not use inappropriate words directly or indirectly in your posts. Thanks.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:53   #205
BHPian

Congrats GTO. Great car there. The white kind of stands out (don't see too many in that colour somehow, don't know why). Cheers to used car believers, more converts mean more buyers in used car market means more people at lesser entry price point means more resale for sellers means more new cars buyers means faster rotations in market means more models launched means more growth means more pleasure for autobuffs. Did I miss something?
Old 15th March 2010, 13:42   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remember, I do have other cars. I expect the Civic's running to be about 7,500 kms a year (same as the Vtec averaged). ....I change the synthetic oil at exactly 7,500 kms. That coincides with 12 months of usage. Plus, when the car goes in for its single annual service, I get everything else done exactly according to this list. Of course, I do cross-check with the owners manual to see if the manufacturer recommends any additional work at that specific km mark.

- Over this annual service, preventive maintenance is key. I get some extras done that are probably not required.

... my car is out of warranty and hence, I can follow my own well-thought out service schedules.
GTO, I completely agree with your practice to visit the service station once a year, since you will only drive your civic 7,500 kms per year.

But what do suggest for a person who buys a new civic, more so a Honda. The service interval is 5k kms or 3 months as you know. Although, the engine oil and oil filter is changed at 10k kms, the oil is topped up after 5k kms, with a routine check and washing. Now, we do have a civic in family and I do visit Honda service station every 2 to 3 months. The running is high on civic and it does 5 k in this 2-3 months interval (has done 24k kms in about 10 months, so my cousin (its his civic) and I have visited the service station about 4 times in less than 10 months, if it would have been 10k kms, we would have visited the service staion only 2 time, 2 saturdays saved, you know!).

Althought, we dont like to visit the service staion after 5k kms, we have to or else the warranty will go void. Moreso, paying for the service at every 5k kms increases the average service cost and also wastes a lot of time. I believe it would have been much better, if we were to visit the service station every 10k kms.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 15th March 2010 at 13:46.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:36   #207
BANNED

@gaurav: I think they have now hiked the service interval to 5000/10000 and six months.

What you are cribbing about is exactly the reason I have always claimed that the extended warranty (which normally covers the drive train only) is a mutual benefit programme of the manufacturer and dealer!
Old 15th March 2010, 14:48   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks flyingspur! Holla the next time, will you?
Didn't have your number, couldn't see you around anywhere, and was in a bit of a hurry. Wouldn't even have noticed, but for the gto's bhp sticker Anyway, next time...
Old 15th March 2010, 15:53   #209
Senior - BHPian

Congrats GTO! Echoing everyone's sentiments - the Civic looks stunning and it looks new!
And yes, white is the best colour for a Civic, hands-down!

8.1L is an awesome deal when you have the peace of mind of getting it with a Honda assurance. Apologies if you've mentioned this before - does Auto Terrace offer any warranty? I remember Maruti True Value used to offer a limited warranty on some parts (not sure if they do any more).

And like you, I don't know if I can buy a new car again. It's a bit of a dilemma - on the one hand, I yearn to get the peace of mind and the new car feel (and smell!), and on the other hand, I know that no new car will satisfy my unreasonable (?) expectations! I guess a sparingly used Honda is the ideal compromise. Almost a new car, Honda reliability and of course, a segment above any new car one can afford.

Congrats again!
Old 15th March 2010, 15:59   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
GTO, I completely agree with your practice to visit the service station once a year, since you will only drive your civic 7,500 kms per year.
Even if you don't complete the Kms, the oil has to be changed. This is because every time the engine stops and cools down, there is condensation which drips down into the oil, contaminating it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks